RadioShack

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.4 1,303 reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced(in 135 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates(in 140 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold(in 131 reviews)

1,303 Employee Reviews

Only stay with this job because leaving would cost me more to pay Obamacare monthly cost for insurance

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsMy store manage allows me to have a very flexible, when I am available schedule. I have the ability to get healthcare for $84 a month even though its a $4000 deductable. The job is easy if you have a high tolerance for idiotic mid management micromanagement and constant reminders that if you dont over work every customer and sell a cell phone you are not a good employee.

ConsConstantly changing pay structure that means less pay every time it supposedly changes for the better. The constant chatter from low to middle management , with continual threats of job loss for not following the constantly changing focus of sales. The continual change in how you must focus on constantly getting wireless phone sales, even to the point of knowing you are competing against lower prices on the internet. I constantly have customers come in to talk about wireless phones, then have them leave to go some where else to get the phone cheaper. Senseless conference calls lead by corporate cheerleaders and suck ups, who at times will tell you to do things a certain way, and may not realize the info they are sharing is wrong, many times it is a blatant lie. A daily focus on numbers drives a normal person nuts. The micro management on a daily basis is mind numbing, and advertised policies that are not followed. we offer price guarantee, but if another wireless competitor is advertising a much lower price, the policy may not be enforced if a customer asks about it. The recent threat of store closings brought about the loss of many better employees so now many much less knowledgable employees are running stores. The constant focus on selling warranties, cell phones, and getting emails will drive a person insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking money away from the little people. let the store sales people have a little ability to think not follow a script which will in the long run will drive customers away from the store

Sales Associate & Assistant Manager

ProsFlexible with school during first 2 years

ConsPushed non effective products and insurance.

Grotesque

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers, co-workers, it's a paycheck

ConsCustomers, co-workers, upper management,pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that aren't out for just their own personal reputation.... Get and keep people who care about what's going on!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once a great supportive environment, now abusive

Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsFew pro's to put here. Managers have control over who they hire, giving them the chance to secure highly intelligent and high performing employees.

ConsHigh stress, little reward. Advancement is very limited. Hard to retain good employees. Senior management obsessed with metrics over actual results. Very poor employee moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employees of the stores. They are the face of the company. The happier and more motivated they are, the better they perform. Also, it will create a better shopping experience for customers, who will stay longer, return more often and spend more. You will retain more high performing associates and managers. You will increase your customer traffic. Also, Promoting from within needs to be to higher levels. A long time career path was what led me to become a manager. I had ambitions of working my way up in the company, but hiring District managers from outside showed me that path was closed.

Poorly managed depressing place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWill hire almost anyone so if you really need an entry level job. Can be an entry into better retail. Very little pressure to sell.

ConsExtremely poor management. They range from hardcore Radioshack believers who micromanage or just completely don't care. No on cares about the store or what is going on. Pay is minimum wage plus a joke 2% commission. Poor store coverage...sometimes one person scheduled for several hours in some stores. Very little chance for promotion. They hire a lot of incompetent people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more competent managers. Provide greater incentive to sell.

Down Down Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was some good things, however not enough good to our weigh the bad.

ConsNo perks for employees except summer hours

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's to late

Good, Clean place to work.

Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsClean and safe place to work. Good training opportunities. Goal oriented management. NO MICRO MANAGEMENT!!! Highly structured planning and team work oriented. Safety standards are very high. Management actually cares about employees. Health benefits after 90 days. Good vacation, 3 weeks after 5 years of employment.

ConsCompany is in a strong chokehold. Compensation is diminishing faster than rising Gas prices. Better corporate planning for increasing sales is NEEDED PERIOD! Work-life balance can be tricky at times, but with such low rates of pay and pay increases who wants to spent time with the family with no money to do so?

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the prices of the products and COMPETE with your COMPETITORS!

Sales

Sales Associate - Part Time (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsCell Phone discounts on bill.

ConsWork hard, little pay, sales never good enough to management

good for part time

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) El Centro, CA

Prosgood place to learn about all kinds of technologies. good for part time. good benefits.

Consnot in good shape right now. no freedom to make decisions and a difference in the company even when they need it.

Advice to Senior Managementgive people a chance to make decisions. if you stop micromanaging you will do better.

How are they still around

Sale Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-They had great training for practically anybody new to the tech/electronics world.
    -My second manager was great.

Cons- Overpriced product
    - WAAAAAY too many add-on sales pitches: cell phone upgrades, adding service plans, batteries... it makes the customer feel attacked.
    - Lost too many good employees because lack of pay/raises/promotions/recognition
    - Too much pressure from management
    Management was waaaaay unstable, lots of store and regional manager overturn

Advice to Senior ManagementIf product pricing is as high as it is and that money is going back into the stores, managers and/or Sales Associates then it's safe to assume that it's going to top brass. Your top brass obviously isn't earning that money. My advise? Reduce product prices, give yearly merit based raises to Sales Associates, take a huge pay cut and learn to live on less.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!