RadioShack

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supervisor

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Sunnyside, NY

ProsAt the moment no opportunity was available for advancement

ConsWorking with lazy managers and had favoritism

Over worked and under paid.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Hillsborough, NJ

ProsGreat discount on select products and a nice employee cell phone plan with Verizon, ATT, and Sprint

ConsRadioShack expects the world from you and gives very little in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and pay them more and maybe you'll see improvement in the company.

"Iceberg Ahead!!!!"

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Patchogue, NY

ProsWorking with employees, good employees discounts, 401k plan.

ConsRadio shack is like the Titanic searching for an iceberg. All they are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Constant changes in what they want to focus on. Asking to much from the customer. For the last 2 years
    from the DM up it's what have you done for me lately??? Constant conference calls on the negatives and nothing on the positives. RM sending out emails calling out poor a stores performances to the entire region instead of a one on one email or phone call. You never hear a good job if you beat your numbers, just "you could of done better." Constant lies from DM on visits, promotions, pay raises, etc. Being told you have to work 6 days a week when the entire company has a 5 day work week. Store managers are treated like a sales associate instead of a manager. DM want the manager to do planograms, wash front windows, clean up in front of the building, set goals, store operations, and sell. Company cuts back hours to 150 hours where the manager has to work 52 of those and has 5 other employees to fill the schedule is not possible with store being open 81 hours a week. No raises in 2 years. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Store managers with respect. From RM to DM. They need how to speak to store managers. They think they can say anything they want in anyway they want. They want respect and should give respect back. DM needs to be trained on how to speak to managers and employees. Just because you supposedly ran a good store and was promoted to DM doesn't mean they know how to treat or speak to people. Constantly being told your underperforming and never told good job isn't good for moral. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus. A

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved the customer interaction and learning about the specifications of new technologies through

Oakland, NJ

ProsHands on experience with new technologies really allowed me to grasp the customers attentions. I was recognized by company for successfully helping a customer to configure the settings and taught how to use two tablets (iPad and Samsung) and a new smartphone. Overall the amount that I learned about technology was worth my employment and each customer gave me some insight as to how certain technologies worked. I got feedback of the products I sold to customers, which I would use to inform future buyers of the same product.

ConsSelling phones is an enormous way to succeed in this company. They don't focus on the employees that are educated about other products.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't feel "equal" to those who could sell more cell phones than I did, yet I study information technology and probably knew more about the other products that customers asked about.

Nice Place

Sales (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Proseasy, not hard, get to see new products

Consboring, not exciting, some customers and managers are jerks

Advice to Senior Managementmake challenges

They care more about selling cell phones than anything in the store, and they are always looking at your numbers

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Randolph, NJ

ProsEven though my manager was newly promoted when I first got the job, she handled the job as best as she could and was not strict. Benefits are a plus: paid day off, 15% off non RS merchandise. 50% off RS merchandise.

ConsI got no hours, low pay, and they forced you to sell cell phones, batteries, and service plans a lot

Advice to Senior ManagementStay at a consistent staff level so that hours can be distributed equally

Good for part time needs

New York, NY

ProsComission and fun coworkers who are always willing to help

ConsNeeding to know a lot of different carriers and how to use their sites

Underperformance = management incompetence

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI can't think of any pros. It used to represent a paycheck, but after today's news there's not much to say.

Cons1000 stores are being closed for "poor performance" when the real reason for any of this is the fact that Radioshack hasn't kept up with the times and has gone down market over the last 15 years. There were so many wrong decisions, and not enough investment in online. I don't even know where to begin.

Everyone has expected this for a long time, so the cut throat games of survival started a while ago. As such, the work environment is toxic as people try to salvage jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, build long term. Only bold decisions can save the company now.

No space to breathe

White Plains, NY

Prosplay with cool gadgets
    get discounts on said cool gadgets
    make customers happy with the same cool gadgets
    make a 1-2% commission on these cool gadgets

Consin most stores, employees feel incredibly monitored, controlled and micromanaged. There's no room to breathe and no independence. Given a little more space, I think sales would increase. I think that every salesperson has their own style and methods for closing a sale. RadioShack makes you use their scripts and push the products that upper management (in another city) thinks my customers want.

Advice to Senior Managementgive sales people some room and have a little faith in us. your entire company will grow if you do.

long hours + incompetent managers + an employee discount

Brooklyn, NY

ProsEmployee discount at one of the best electronic stores in the country! You can move up quickly if you're good at making friends and sucking up to managers.

ConsEmployees represent a number and possible resource to be exploited by management. Nothing else! Hours are very long and pay isn't great unless sales are high (think November-December). High employee turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementcare about your employees. offer better benefits so there's less turnover.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!

RadioShack Videos

RadioShack – Why Work for Us?

Why RadioShack? RadioShack has created a loyal following of customers through our associates' expertise and collaborative spirit with consumers, celebrating the longstanding idea that "two heads are better than one… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RadioShack reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by RadioShack employees.