RadioShack Reviews in New York City, NY

2.4
1,443 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 135 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates (in 140 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 131 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love It

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Promotions. I was able to move up fast in the company.

Cons

Location. The area i was in was a bad area to live or work

I learn a lot from RadioShack. I have 13 years of customer service.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Great environment. Good learning experience.

Cons

None I have no answer.

None.

Good when I first started until they changed the spiff pay rate. Radioshack begins to take over your life!

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always updated on new products, get to demo products, and decent discounts on most things in the store.

Cons

Planogram updates every other week, not much room to grow, and too much change in managers. Ive been here 2 years and im up to my 6th manager

Work with associates and give promotions, better benefits and better essentives. Also a longer lunch break would be great

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has its ups and its downs

Current Employee - Radioshack Store Manager  in  Spring Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Radioshack Store Manager in Spring Valley, NY

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning experience was able to learn quiet a bit from senior store managers about electronic components and how to put them together, half-way decent 401k program with some company matching.

Cons

Inconsistent upper management unclear goals, huge lack of integrity, poor work and personal life balance, tons of hours worked and extra projects to be worked on that puts you behind in your owns stores needs no extra benefit for going above and beyond, frequent manager bonus payout restructuring to always keep you behind even when you were ahead on goals.

Grow some integrity, listen to the team members in the store they are with the customers day in and day out . The people that work for you are just that "People" they are not robots they have basic human needs show some decency and cut people some slack.

It was a good experience into retail. I think my manager made the job better. I sort of enjoyed it

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at RadioShack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a Job. Some management only care about numbers. Attachments are required on just about every sale...even with items that no attachment is needed. SMH

Cons

lack of hours.
    commission.
    i did what the manager was doing.

none

"Iceberg Ahead!!!!"

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Patchogue, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Patchogue, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with employees, good employees discounts, 401k plan.

Cons

Radio shack is like the Titanic searching for an iceberg. All they are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Constant changes in what they want to focus on. Asking to much from the customer. For the last 2 years
    from the DM up it's what have you done for me lately??? Constant conference calls on the negatives and nothing on the positives. RM sending out emails calling out poor a stores performances to the entire region instead of a one on one email or phone call. You never hear a good job if you beat your numbers, just "you could of done better." Constant lies from DM on visits, promotions, pay raises, etc. Being told you have to work 6 days a week when the entire company has a 5 day work week. Store managers are treated like a sales associate instead of a manager. DM want the manager to do planograms, wash front windows, clean up in front of the building, set goals, store operations, and sell. Company cuts back hours to 150 hours where the manager has to work 52 of those and has 5 other employees to fill the schedule is not possible with store being open 81 hours a week. No raises in 2 years. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus.

Treat Store managers with respect. From RM to DM. They need how to speak to store managers. They think they can say anything they want in anyway they want. They want respect and should give respect back. DM needs to be trained on how to speak to managers and employees. Just because you supposedly ran a good store and was promoted to DM doesn't mean they know how to treat or speak to people. Constantly being told your underperforming and never told good job isn't good for moral. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus. A

Over worked and under paid.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Hillsborough, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hillsborough, NJ

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount on select products and a nice employee cell phone plan with Verizon, ATT, and Sprint

Cons

RadioShack expects the world from you and gives very little in return.

Respect your employees and pay them more and maybe you'll see improvement in the company.

Supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Sunnyside, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Sunnyside, NY

I worked at RadioShack part-time

Pros

At the moment no opportunity was available for advancement

Cons

Working with lazy managers and had favoritism

I loved the customer interaction and learning about the specifications of new technologies through

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oakland, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, NJ

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hands on experience with new technologies really allowed me to grasp the customers attentions. I was recognized by company for successfully helping a customer to configure the settings and taught how to use two tablets (iPad and Samsung) and a new smartphone. Overall the amount that I learned about technology was worth my employment and each customer gave me some insight as to how certain technologies worked. I got feedback of the products I sold to customers, which I would use to inform future buyers of the same product.

Cons

Selling phones is an enormous way to succeed in this company. They don't focus on the employees that are educated about other products.

I didn't feel "equal" to those who could sell more cell phones than I did, yet I study information technology and probably knew more about the other products that customers asked about.

Nice Place

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

easy, not hard, get to see new products

Cons

boring, not exciting, some customers and managers are jerks

make challenges

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!