RadioShack

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice Place

Sales (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Proseasy, not hard, get to see new products

Consboring, not exciting, some customers and managers are jerks

Advice to Senior Managementmake challenges

Good for part time needs

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsComission and fun coworkers who are always willing to help

ConsNeeding to know a lot of different carriers and how to use their sites

Underperformance = management incompetence

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI can't think of any pros. It used to represent a paycheck, but after today's news there's not much to say.

Cons1000 stores are being closed for "poor performance" when the real reason for any of this is the fact that Radioshack hasn't kept up with the times and has gone down market over the last 15 years. There were so many wrong decisions, and not enough investment in online. I don't even know where to begin.

Everyone has expected this for a long time, so the cut throat games of survival started a while ago. As such, the work environment is toxic as people try to salvage jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, build long term. Only bold decisions can save the company now.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good discounts, but poor pay and management

New York, NY

ProsThe best part about working at Radioshack is being able to spend all day playing with cool gadgets and helping people find solutions and products for their every day lives.
    There's an employee discount that ranges depending on the product!

ConsThe commission structure recently changed for the worst, making this already poorly paying job even worse. Management overlooked me consistently for 2 years without giving me any promotion despite having higher sales than employees who were promoted. The work environment is not fun at our store. Many employees don't get along and we barely speak with management. I had 1 friend who I'm still close to.

Management forces us to push products at people -- even when they don't want them. The sales goals are unrealistic.

In short, I'm glad I left! On to bigger and better projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure commissions so that sales people are motivated to make sales!

changing processes and management is frustrating

New York, NY

ProsAs a stocker at a Manhattan location, we do a lot of volume and usually stay busy. I appreciate the discounts on cool projects, and in general my manager's pretty good about getting me time off.

ConsProcesses and systems are always changing so you have to relearn everything. Inventory systems and management's new procedures weigh us down. High turnover among employees and management is frustrating and I'm always training new hires

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your employees by offering better pay!

Radio Shack is a company that needs to go out of business

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat pay for some managers. Most of the people that work there are comfortable and as long as you are cool with the DM you won't be picked on.

ConsThey expect you to bring your location back from the dead..They make managers work 6 days. They have no culture whatsoever, no appreciation for reps or managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your people. The stores that are about to close down in 2014 is a direct results of lack of sales because of high turnover. Employees treat radio shack as a job not a career because DM's don't care about the people.

Good for part time if you get along with work associates.

Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEducational. Good discount. Good number of paid days off and some benefits even for part timers. They state in their bylaws they do not discriminate based on sexual orientation and their benefits cover same sex partners.

ConsPay is extremely low. Key holders and everyone else except the SM make minimum wage plus a small % of your own sales. They will not give anyone except SM 'official' full time to beat having to give benefits. Overtime NEVER happens. There is "commission" but when you do the math between a few people, we all end up making about the same average over time and it happens to very close to a whole number. These metrics are likely predetermined. Also, my associates are very respectful of each other, but even still I can feel the commission environment bringing out an unhealthy competition and lack of consideration for customers that are buying low priced items. If you need commission to give good customer support you're not doing your job right.

There is AN EXTREMELY HIGH learning curve. A LOT to learn. Doesn't make sense that employees are not compensated to stay since it probably costs the company a lot (and it takes years to even recognize all the electrical components) to train everyone in just the basics. Turn over is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of commission. Give living wages and properly train employees through apprentice like system that grants long term sustainability and not the extremely high turnover rate that is currently there.

Sales associate

New York, NY

ProsRadioshack is a great company to work for, you get to learn a lot about technology and the commission is good too.

ConsThey are always switching the commission percentage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very talkative they like hustlers

turn around and dont look back

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgreat talks about electronics, great employee discount, great employee wireless plans,

Consa roller coaster company, 3 CEOs in 4 years, this company blows money on anything and everything it believes can help itself. constant pressure on selling accessories with key items. service plans cost more and so is the pressure on selling them. advertising has leveled down to everyone believing the head of the merchandising/ planograms /POP dept, might be a 16 year old novice with photoshop. company wants to get rid of tenured managers because of not adapting to changes quickly, because company changes are.... quickly! company is a haven for wireless fraud, so stores that cant control it cannot sell wireless, but..your sales goals stay the same...and the sales goals are never realistic at all...so finally....no chance to monthly bonus! Radioshack has harbored alot of Blockbuster executives and middle management where their past philosophy was dont care about your people....and it still goes on.....

Advice to Senior Managementevery new CEO takes office, gets the crowd pumped up, gets a spike in sales , but ever so slowly, the share holders gain control over them.....again... and its right back to the century old tactics..

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore...

Manager In Training (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Coworkers I work with are good people and the work environment is very friendly no matter who's store I work in. This really makes a difference and why I put 2 stars instead of one.

- Perks are good. Discounts, vendor deals, contests.

- Good way to learn about tech and be surrounded by like minded individuals.

- Good job for someone new to sales to learn skills if they're in a store with good management.

- Company seems to be to trying to improve image to public. It's somewhat exciting to see what this develops into.

- If you show potential, you can move up to be an ASM/SM.

Cons- Too many hats to wear with too little pay. As a sales associate, your role is to be a sales guy/gal, stock boy, visual merchandiser and tech support for very close to minimum wage pay. The competition pays their employee much more and their only role is sell. The pay really does not match the work. As a key holder you're given managerial responsibilities but with the same pay as an associate. That makes no sense.

- Balancing time is difficult when goals are unrealistically high. Trying to make as many sales as possible to hit your goal (and make enough money) while trying to maintain the stock in a section of the store is exhausting. There's not enough time in your shift to do it all.

- The pressure of guiding a conversation with a customer towards a wireless topic regardless of what they are buying is getting out of hand. You can't force someone into buying something. It only leads to bad customer service.

- Some services are a disservice to customers which I feel is morally wrong for even offering them, but must be done to meet goals. Not very motivating at all.

- Favoritism. It sucks.

- Product selection is very limited and is missing what made Radioshack, well, Radioshack. This is the biggest complaint from customers.

- Proper training is never done because there is so much to be done the staff is overwhelmed and is also put out to sell without finishing it. This leads to the employee looking incompetent and a very pissed off customer.

- If you show potential, you can move up to be an ASM/SM with sucky pay.

Advice to Senior Management- This is for management on the corporate level who aren't on the frontlines with the associates/key holders/ASM/SM/DM. Take feedback from us on what is working and what is not working. Come and visit the stores and speak to your employees and ask for honest feedback.

- Pay your employee what we are worth. We are on the frontlines interacting with the your target market, taking the good and the bad face on. The biggest complaint isn't rude people, or too much work or not enough training (lord knows not that) but it's "I don't get paid enough for this".

- Don't make new programs or operation rules just for the sake of it. As soon as we get comfortable with a good flow, you change things up and wonder thing aren't going as planned.

I for one will be looking for another job if things don't start to get better soon.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!

RadioShack Videos

RadioShack – Why Work for Us?

Why RadioShack? RadioShack has created a loyal following of customers through our associates' expertise and collaborative spirit with consumers, celebrating the longstanding idea that "two heads are better than one… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RadioShack reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by RadioShack employees.