RadioShack

2.4
1,473 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 141 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 156 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for learning new customer service skills

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great if you like to work with the public must be able to learn quickly and efficiently. The benefits are good and you get spiffs and commission to balance out your pay check.

Cons

just be ready to put in some long days

Loved the job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mason City, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mason City, IA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the job, the people working for me, with me

Cons

Did not like the flip floppery in management and constant changes

Great for experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holiday, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holiday, FL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They give you a lot of training material, see and learn about new phones, great discounts on most items, base hourly rate and commission.

Cons

Employee turn over is insane, prices are high, unrealistic sales goals for attach on products, too many changes on policies or procedures, not enough hours to spread evenly through employees that we are forced to hire

Give raises even if on a 6 month review. Better than waiting for minimum wage to go up. That would help cut down on turn arounds, stop changing commission plans. The spiffs from 2011 would be great with a base percentage of the rest of the store. Also, stay closed on holidays such as Christmas and thanksgiving.

great company

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

nice company to start a career

Cons

I didn't have one, everything was good

Radio Shack

Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My role offered me the opportunity to learn new things and actively participate in multiple projects as leader. I found the team members to be supportive and ready for change. There was good work life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of training or documented processes. Company strategy during the time I was with the company was fragmented and lacked direction. Communication to team employees was bad but began improving with new leadership.

in 20+ yrs upper management has lost focus on the what radioshack is all about. We are Not Best Buy or Wal-mart.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for manager and associates better than Fast food.

Cons

You are expected to sacrifice any and all of your personal life for the company. weekend's, holidays. if your in a high volume store you'll have 45 to 48 hrs a week . if your in a low volume store you will spend 50+ hrs a week there as Manager. Nov. thru Dec. you'll work all weekends and 6 days a week. Now we are Open on Thanksgiving

We sacrifice a lot for this company long Hrs, 6 days a week in Dec. the happiest time of the year and now you take even more from us Thanksgiving. the biggest day of the year to be with the one you love. You are truly with out a Soul.

Nonexistant work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Good pay, good training structure...

Cons

Corporate does not seem to realize that their employees have lives outside of work. Inconsistant hours. Majority of pay comes from commission. Unstable managerial group. Misinforming employees alot of the time. High stress even at part time. Too much focus on phones,tablets, etc. Almost impossible to take time off.

Close enough locations to make financials stable again so that those of us willing to work can hire other people willing to work, instead of being almost forced into situations that allows no vacation time stuck in a store with people unqualified to tie their own shoes.

Great company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Wyoming, MI

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work. Move up quick in the company.

Cons

Pay is poor. The turn over for employees is crazy.

Need better pos system's

Decent season work

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Troy, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Troy, OH

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were fantastic. Without them, the job would have been miserable. The base pay + a small commission is nice, as it insures you still get at least something for your time if the store is dead, but rewards large sales. Discounts are fantastic, both regular ones and occasional special ones.

Cons

Upper management is a wreck. They have no understanding of what happens in stores, yet run them with iron fists with no thought of what we tell them. Customers are often angry. Dealing with phone contracts can be very stressful, even more so because those are the sales that upper management pushes.

Listen to what store managers and employees have to say about whats best for policy, not just what your gut tells you and then make it all encompassing.

Great Place to Work Very Hard At the Last Minute

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Fantastic team of coworkers.
    -Get your hands on the coolest products first.
    - Decent employee discount on RadioShack branded items (forget the Xbox).
    -Helping people solve their electronic problems is oddly satisfying. (Read "Customers make you feel like a rock star!")
    -Fairly easy to move up to store manager. (I was hired as a Store Manager externally. This is not normal for my district.)
    -As a store manager, you own the failure or success of your business...whether that's fair or not.

Cons

-The hours are horrendous.
    -The corporate office doesn't seem to have a clue. Someone should let them know that the decisions they make in Ft. Worth affect us nationally. If someone sneezes in the Visual Merchandising department, then it seems like I'm resetting the store.
    -The corporate financial struggle is beginning to show in very big ways. If you enjoy feeling like a cog in the wheel, then this is the job for you...they laid off a few hundred people a couple of years ago with an email. I'm assuming that was cost effective, because it was also heart breaking...
    -Going to work everyday wondering if today is the day you get fired is stressful. (I am at the top of my Region and I love my DM. I still feel this way.)

-The biggest con of all is that I have the time to write this review and be on the sales floor.

Stop the drama. Have a corporate initiative and stick with it. Every day I come in, there is some new fire drill running. Associates are stressed, underpaid, and overwhelmed. This morning, I read my "task management" and then I promptly started putting my resume together. Stick a fork in me, Tandy...you finally killed the last bit of faith I had.

I'm leaving Radishack before the corporate office drives the last of my nerdy nostalgia into the ground too.