RadioShack

2.4 1,284 reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

1,284 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly"
    in 129 reviews
  • "Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount"
    in 73 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was more focused on paper work than actually sales or sales related tasks"
    in 129 reviews
  • "All commissions on cell phones have been eliminated in favor as a flat percentage of sales"
    in 124 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The ROC doesn't rock

Technician VI (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThere are a lot of good people here, and the schedules can be flexible. A good entry level place to learn all you can and get out.

ConsWorking in the op center is like working for a different company. They are perpetually understaffed, and you will quickly realize that you are underpaid. When there are "opportunities" to advance or grow, if you are lucky enough to be one of the people pre-chosen for the position, don't expect a raise or a title change.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many managers in the op center, and the salaries are not competitive in the least.

Good people, working really hard in a challenging environment

Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood work environment; people generally nice; slower pace; nice facility

ConsEconomics are not very good. Money it tight.

Fun does not make up for poor pay

Biingual Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsFlexible hours. Great and helpful co-workers.

ConsKeeping consistent paycheck due to commissions. No benefits. Dificult to become full-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation with better pay worthy of the work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
    Lansing, MI

Prosincentive to sale product to consumers

Conslow wages, horrible management , crappy work place

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better an up the wages

Downhill path

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsNo products that the consumer wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou put all your eggs in the cell phone basket, and look what happened.

Going down on a sinking ship

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsInside knowledge and training. Friendly coworkers

ConsLow pay for way to much expectations.

Failing company

Prosflexible hours, good if you're a student.

Conschange their pay plans every 6 months to make sure the company keeps most of the profit. Sales associate doesn't earn much from the commission.

Advice to Senior Managementvery little.

"Iceberg Ahead!!!!"

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Patchogue, NY

ProsWorking with employees, good employees discounts, 401k plan.

ConsRadio shack is like the Titanic searching for an iceberg. All they are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Constant changes in what they want to focus on. Asking to much from the customer. For the last 2 years
    from the DM up it's what have you done for me lately??? Constant conference calls on the negatives and nothing on the positives. RM sending out emails calling out poor a stores performances to the entire region instead of a one on one email or phone call. You never hear a good job if you beat your numbers, just "you could of done better." Constant lies from DM on visits, promotions, pay raises, etc. Being told you have to work 6 days a week when the entire company has a 5 day work week. Store managers are treated like a sales associate instead of a manager. DM want the manager to do planograms, wash front windows, clean up in front of the building, set goals, store operations, and sell. Company cuts back hours to 150 hours where the manager has to work 52 of those and has 5 other employees to fill the schedule is not possible with store being open 81 hours a week. No raises in 2 years. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Store managers with respect. From RM to DM. They need how to speak to store managers. They think they can say anything they want in anyway they want. They want respect and should give respect back. DM needs to be trained on how to speak to managers and employees. Just because you supposedly ran a good store and was promoted to DM doesn't mean they know how to treat or speak to people. Constantly being told your underperforming and never told good job isn't good for moral. Beat LY by 50% and you still don't make bonus. A

Poor motivational structure, and pushes into flooded markets rather than finding their own.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsNot much besides they're still in business.

ConsThe cell phone market today is flooded: there is a carrier store on every corner of every major city. Radioshack struggles to make it's way into this market by pushing post paid sales (which they make very little profit on anyway) and uses those sales numbers as a gauge for employee effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarten up and find something other than phones that can make your last 4 quarters of losses turn around. America today is moving ever more to project and hobbyist so taking a leap of faith and pushing on the DIY/DIT solutions might actually see better results. Finally, no matter what you are pushing, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THAT ITEM IN YOUR COMMERCIALS. in all the recent radio shack commercials, there has not been a single cell phone. if you really rate cell phones as much of a priority as you do, then show the public that we have them.

Stressed

Keyholder (Former Employee)
    Troy, OH

ProsGreat environment to work with people

ConsCommissioned based, tough to earn a check that is consistent.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!

RadioShack Videos

RadioShack – Why Work for Us?

Why RadioShack? RadioShack has created a loyal following of customers through our associates' expertise and collaborative spirit with consumers, celebrating the longstanding idea that "two heads are better than one… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RadioShack reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca. All 1,284 reviews posted anonymously by RadioShack employees.