RadioShack Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
1697 reviews filtered by

1. Store Manager

Upper management flies by the seat of their pants, as it reflects in the decisions that are made.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you really apply yourself and hold your team accountable, you can run a good business.

Cons

The quality of applicants is extremely slim. It was difficult to find the applicants that I was able to hire.

From the experience that I have with my customer base, they want name brands. They wanted the products that are carried at Best Buy, such as Bose, Sony, etc. Also, many customers are still under the impression that all we carry is parts and fix it items.

2. Enjoyable or not, depending on store location

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Laid back if you like that sort of job, not much pros unless you like a quiet day to yourself

Cons

Company doesn't tell you enough about what's going on, and if you're in a location like mine the customer base is very limited

We need more information about what's going on with the company, working in the dark not knowing if you'll have a job the next day isn't fun

3. Wonderful

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Company has a lot of room for growth

Cons

Management sucks needs to treat team better

Treat teams better yes please

5. Decent job, but low pay.

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and store managers are very friendly and easy to work with. Commission on certain products makes it possible to earn extra money.

Cons

Corporate was a mess. Dress code changed at least 4 times in less than two years, and I employees had to pay for their own uniforms. Commission rate and pay scale kept going down, so I made less money the longer I worked there. The whole company was struggling to make money and passed the blame down to the individual stores.

Too late now.

6. NOt bad :/

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

Hourly rate was not the best, but commission on products made up for it

Cons

Some locations are not busy enough if counting on commission

7. I enjoyed working at this company.

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

Interaction with customers, selling and activating cell phones

Cons

Boring when no customers are in store.

8. Great place

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

room for advancement for those who work hard at it

Cons

Being a jack of all trades at times

9. Too little too late

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

There is an amazing discount and they really do have quality products. Also because everyone knew how hard it was, I had some of the best co workers I've ever had and enjoyed many employees in my district. It was fun to see and use all the latest electronics. I have management experience and I'm young

Cons

Where to start... you are extremely overworked. It's no secret that if you're in management, you work a lot off the clock. I worked about 60-65 hours a week and got paid for about 40-48 hours. You are expected to learn things on the fly. Even the best managers are scolded when you don't meet quota, which is often. Upper management are so wishy washy and contradict themselves. Extremely high overturn rate and everyone is always understaffed. It's not unheard of to babe only 3 people on staff. Training is on the computer and you cram it in in no more than 3 days. There are a lot of management that steal. Pay is awful, especially for management because you are supposed to base it on commission, but Salt Lake doesn't do nearly as well as others such as California. They expect you to sell big items even though you don't make enough or are not allowed to carry them and customers don't want to wait, so they drive to Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Countless times I worked alone, even when I first started and it could be the whole day and then they scold you if something bad went wrong even though you were trying to help like 5 people at the same time. Planograms are extremely complicated and elaborate and often you will change it and then two weeks later they want you to change it back to before. It wasn't uncommon for me to work 7+ days in a row, sometimes 11 or 12 before I got a day off. Seniority means nothing.

RadioShack is bankrupt now, but when they put Joe Mangacca in, a lot of things changed and for the better. RS listened a little more. Manner should be more optimistic. It's sad that the original mindset was completely lost. Each customer is just as important than the other and if you earned one's respect, they would be loyal. Also, people looked for personalized help and you to be your guide, take that as an honor, especially since they didn't go to Wal-Mart.

10. Enjoyed working here, I felt very easily met sales quota as long as you went through their sales process they teach you.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was flexible enough to where I could attend full time school. Relaxed work environment.

Cons

No raise or compensation for exceeding sales goals. All bonuses were team goal oriented. Worked for over a year, not a penny raise.

Reward employees for exceeding expectations.

11. loved working here for the past 30 years. Always a chance to learn something new every day

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

they have a certain niche market that no one else can touch with their parts, power, and hobby categories.

Cons

RS is now closing stores due to (my opinion) their loss of focus on what made them great and an intense focus on wireless w/o the foresight to change with the market shifts along the way.

Should have focused on your core business as mentioned above and directed customer interest on more of the "cool" gadgets and accessories no one else has offered at store level, in order to make RS stand out .....but you lost your focus on the customer's needs and wants.