RadioShack

2.4
1,569 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 144 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 161 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

A Company in Freefall

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's nice being around cool technology if you like that stuff. A very laid back working environment most days (except during iPhone launches)

Cons

The commission structure changed 5 times in the 2 years I was there. Management excelled at stressing one goal, then reversing course and stressing the opposite of that goal a few months later. For example, first it was phones, phones, phones and then it became "sell the whole store! Don't just do phones". It is not encouraging working at a place where they post the company stock price next to the employee login. Then the stock price plunges from 4 bucks to .40 cents.

It's too late for any advice. I read this morning that the vultures are already circling. (i.e Private Equity firms looking to sell off the parts)

Slow dying company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros is be able to talk to customers to assist them with there needs alot better

Cons

No one knows what going on.
    Waste of time tasks that sure no purpose in the long run.
    Way to focus on selling wireless phones and not focus on what the customers really need.
    No real pay scale

WEll you not gonna be around in a couple months anyway

The glory days of my beginning at RadioShack turned to days of despair as I moved up the ladder, thanks to politics.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In the early part of the 2000's decade, the grass couldn't be any greener anywhere else. Despite the "tacky" reputation RadioShack always seemed to have held among commoners, it was actually a great company to work for with a huge room for growth and very competitive compensation. Regular sales associates that were full time had chances to make over $50K a year in high velocity markets, some even topping out at $90K.

The benefits were good and they had an excellent 401K in place with lucrative matching. Moving your way up to store management was stressful, but very rewarding, including an overall sense of how to run a business. When one became a store manager, there was no such thing as department managers, or shift managers. A store manager was the boss, the leader and the business runner. Nobody else was next but the District Manager.

Success was rewarded very handsomely with all expenses paid trips to Vegas for Award shows and once an individual won the prestigious "Leader's Club" award, their legacy was cemented and once you got yourself to a top tiered store, six-figure salaries were not out of the question.

I have much of my current success to attest to my days at RadioShack and it paved the way for financial security for me.

Cons

However, success wasn't met without it's share of heavy road blocks due to a lack of competent leadership above the store level. There was not much support for a store manager who literally shouldered everything as far as the performance of the store was concerned. Any loss, despite the typical insurance policies being in place which was factored into the P&L statement from the beginning, still hit the manager's bottom line salary, eating away at his/her bonus possibilities. You lost inventory due to the normal risks of business, it hit your bottom line. Almost like a double whammy.

Salaries of the sales associates...also came from your bottom line despite the fact that it was the company that paid them. All HR related factors were handled by management as well. Human Resources department was virtually invisible.

A manager was expected to work at least 54 hours a week without question since the position is salaried. When times were slow, the manager was expected to take the brunt and schedule employees off to save on compensation. As a manager, one had to put themselves on vacation so if he/she was struggling with staffing, then NO VACATION FOR YOU!!! Yet, if you didn't use it, you lost it!

When one moves up the ladder, that's where things can take a turn for the worst. Upper management from District level on was riddled with politics and friends of friends being promoted over those who were actually performing well. If you weren't in the clique, you will never get the pick... to move up in the RadioShack world.

Along with all the politics, the salary as you moved up the ladder shrunk. In the end, one was better off back managing their own store, than being up in district level management. And the perks were minimal other than a company vehicle, phone and laptop being furnished... the amount of hours put in with a salary of less than $70K, those perks did NOT make up for it.

RadioShack was once a company ran by company veterans. Once that model changed, RadioShack became a sinking ship. I really don't think there is any advice to give to the management at RadioShack at this time for it may finally be time that the last thread holding the company together may have frayed.

In any case, happy employees makes a happy business and starting with better care of their employees would be a must. The manager....especially the store manager, is the heart of this company. They are tasked to virtually be the face of RadioShack in any location they exist. Better pay, better hours, better support and most of all, better treatment is a necessity. Without it, the ship will sink.

It's all about your co-workers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time

I worked at RadioShack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, really the only thing I enjoyed about working here were my co-workers. They were what got me through my shifts.

Cons

The commission is terrible, anyone above the manager doesn't care about you, the stores are in dire need of an upgrade, there is absolutely no LP, so there is constant theft from both employees and customers.

Put actual security in the stores and maybe we wouldn't lose so much money on theft.

I have been working here for years, RS does not treat tenured employees any different from a "first day" employee.

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Great deals on products and services

Cons

Pay stinks hours are mediocre at best in a typical store that isn't normally busy.

Pay tenured employees more than employees who are not. For ex I have been with the company since 2006 and have gained a wealth of knowledge and a nice customer base. Joe part timer walks in and makes the same hourly rate as I do his first day on the job. Even thought there is commission, there should be something in place (preferably MONEY) that shows how the company appreciates loyalty from their employees.

Out of touch with it's employees....

Former Employee - Concept Store Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Concept Store Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the few companies, in retail sales, that still offers commission(on a month to month basis since they enjoy "changing up" the system to try new things.) If you are lucky enough, there are great teams on a store to store basis. Being exposed to all the new gadgets and phones is a great learning experience. Depending on the location it could be laid back or high demand.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with it's employees AND the market. They change the entire way of operations and sales on a week to week basis. The company feels like a constant revolving door with upper management.

While Joe Magnacca tries to keep the company afloat, his message gets distorted and even lost in most cases as it travels down the company ranks. Most of the directors and upper management turn the message into oppressive, fearful propaganda that it boils down to "I don't like you, you're fired" mentality.

Great experience in sales and customer service. Lot of customer from different parts of the World

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Get experienced in customer service and knowledge of all categories of consumer electronics and mobile devices.

Cons

Pay and comissions doesn't worth. Lot of unnecessary tasks. Company's iventory is not up to date vs competitors.

More focus on sales and customer demand and not on company matters.

An ok place to work

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

Flexible schedule, bonuses and spiffs.

Cons

Not very good at training new employees.

Have more role playing in the training process

sales

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

Team work to meet a common goal

Cons

meeting new people every day

Assistant manager

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

great benefits, fun place to work

Cons

worst management ever, unrealistic goals, high price

reduce your prices, educate your managers