RadioShack

2.4
1,507 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 144 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 161 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discounts seems to me now like the only reason it would be fine to work at RS. Nowadays you get 50% off in everything made by RS, which is Enercell, Gigaware or RadioShack branded, anything else, you may get from 10% to 30% off.

You do get nice discounts on wireless service with AT&T, and Sprint, and I mean like $30/month for employee line, or 30% off if you had the line before and just apply the discount to it.

I also liked the training on sales (although exhausting), and the resources to learn about the Consumer Electronics products, because if you had never worked on sales before, they really teach you how to think about sales

Cons

When I first started I thought that commissions would be a nice way of making some extra money, then when I did the math, I realized it was almost nothing. Other than that, you get paid on an hourly base, but it's minimum wage.

Always being afraid of getting fired for not selling enough stuff. Let me clarify, it's not just selling anything, you have metrics: batteries, cell phones (contract and non-contract) and RSSP. And trust me, there is no way to get it all right.

You work 4 jobs:
    1. Sales, they will tell you at the interview that all you have to do is SALE... yeah right.
    2. Cashier, you're responsible of closing each sale at the register (otherwise you don't get commissions)
    3. Customer Service, which means dealing with idiotic customers personally and over the phone, handling returns and stuff
    4. Stock and Merchandising: every week you get the shipment with new products to put on the floor, also every month there are planagrams to redo the whole store and change everything around, while you're also responsible for anything misplaced on the sales floor (like missing tags) and finally you have every now and then INVENTORIES, which means either staying after hours to count every single item at the store, or coming early to do it before your shift.

It takes a long time to learn about everything on the floor, I mean, you have components, power adapters, all kind of batteries, DIY projects, TV's, DVD players, Sound systems, Speakers, Headphones, Bluetooth Headsets, House Phones, Alarm Systems, Soldering Stuff, All sorts of Audio/Video Cords, Computer Accessories, GPS's, Cameras and Camcorders, and Cell-Phones from various carriers like AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Imagine knowing every single detail about every single item that falls into any of these categories... mind-blowing.

Small stores
    On the average store, there are around 5-8 sales associates, an Associate Manager, and the Store Manager. On every shift, there are at most 4 people at the store. This means only 4 customers served at a time. The rest will be looking at you with un-friendly faces and asking questions while you try to concentrate on your task. Now, on a slow day, the 4 people at the store will be trapped doing nothing (other than stocking or planagrams, or Wireless calls). Also, some stores have little or no security, I mean, every other day we got a warning of robbery or something like that. On my particular store, 9 cell phones were stolen once from the back room. The funny thing is that there are no cameras on the entire store, so nobody ever got to know what happened, not even the police. Nobody was fired or accused of anything.

Customer-Harassment
    They will tell you to ask every single customer (yes, even the 80 years old man buying a battery for his SunPass) their cell phone company, the kind of phone they use, and as much as you can. Also, they will ask you to ask every customer for their upgrade-eligibility date and put them on a log. When the day comes, you will also be asked to call people to remind them about changing their cell phone, which sometimes can be awkward and stupid.
    Also they will ask you to push RSSP (Radio Shack Service Plans, or extended warranties) on EVERYTHING, like from cables to cell phones. I mean, it makes sense getting a protection plan for a headphones that you will be using at the gym, but sure not for a coax cable for your TV and cable box, now you try to sell that to the average customer and let me know how are you doing in RSSP attachment %

Going out of business
    I realized most of the stuff at the store DOESN'T sell. People are no longer interested in creating stuff themselves, they just want to consume. And honestly, which is the first place you think about when buying an iPod? Exactly, not RadioShack. On the other side, when you go to RadioShack trying to get a capacitor for fixing your broken TV, they don't have it! RadioShack is very broad, but very shallow. And most of the stuff made by RadioShack is highly overpriced... $14.99 for an auxiliary cord?! There you have it: they lose customers every single day because of over-priced stuff and lack of products. I can't count the times I heard a customer saying "RadioShack is no longer what it used to be".

Start valuing more your associates. I mean, commissions are a joke, and they are the ones who put money in your big pockets.

Change the focus of your business, or you will be long gone. Retail stores will be killed by online shopping eventually, especially the ones that base they growth on the ability of their employees to sell stuff

Stop the planagrams, seriously, find a definitive layout for the store and let people familiarize with it. I can't recall how many times I found myself lost trying to find something that used to be hanged on a wall, and later changed by a new planagram

Get a third-party company to handle inventory. This is a no-brainer. If your store manager is stealing from the company, he will even the numbers at the inventory. Get another company involved and everything will be just right.

District Manager

Former Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have job openings
    Good Training
    Operates throughout the United States
    As a District Manager you will get a company car
    I would for a wonderful Regional Manager (He was down sized as well)

Cons

Company just restructured
    A lack of direction with Brand Image
    Changes Leadership and direction too often
    A major lack of advertising
    Limited inventory at all times
    Ever is in in-stock position when a new phone handset is launched

Do want you say it if you not mean it and then do what you say you will do, fulfill the promises made as the CEO says all the time

RRadioshack is a great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get paid well for what I do.

Cons

I have a lack of free time

assitant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wilson, NC

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy and fun people t owork with

Cons

everything else is pretty bad

On the job product knowledge training

I worked at RadioShack

Pros

One of the best retail jobs out there with a commission based structure. Wide array of products offered and a much better alternative to working at BestBuy or Fry's.

Cons

Minimal opportunities for advancement. Typical retail job where you can expect to work on the weekends. Just prepare yourself to have to work weekends.

Great place to work if you are motivated, have sales experience, and work with/under the right people

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Audubon, PA
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Audubon, PA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been here for 11 months now and I have just been promoted to MIT (Manager In Training) Let me tell you, it's been one heck of a ride so far. You learn about providing excellent customer service, electronics, and the wireless industry. After you get through the drudgery of learning everything, work becomes fun. The awesome customers you will meet will make it all worth the while. Having a good manager is important, my old manager was a burnout and once he left and I got a new manager who knew what she was doing, I started selling several phones, and work become fun. So its all about having a good manager and a competent staff. If you come to work with a positive attitude every day and you are motivated then you will sell phones, get promoted, grow as a person and have fun in the process

Cons

Starting pay is very low and even after moving up, it still isn't very good. The Radioshack NSA learning program does not prepare you very well for actually tackling day to day inquiries that customers have. Also their wireless simulations for activating Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T phones aren't accurate and they do not show you how to sell phones

Start implementing the New York concept store nationwide

Takes a while to get good at this job. By the time you do, you'll realize you're underpaid. Better than big box.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Neighborhood stores- much more intimate setting than big box retail. Fun products with a decent discount.

Cons

Training takes a long time. It can be stressful because the stores are often understaffed, and employees are underpaid. This leads to very high turnover.

More employees per store, more on the floor, dedicated wireless associate(s) with wireless counter and chairs. Increase employee's pay and make pay 100% commission with minimum wage as the safety net - but then stop changing the pay structure!!! For store management - they should be making $20+/hr in their salaries for the level of work you expect. Consolidate your stores if you have to. We have about 30 stores in Portland! All of them have these issues that you could fix by dropping it to 20 stores with professionally compensated employees.

My 13 years were good.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lebanon, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customer interaction, learning something new everyday,staying on top of old and new electronics as well as cellular phones and devices.

Cons

Long hours, managers have to work a 6 day work week so not alot of time for family or any other activity. Overall a good experience.

work managers 5 days not 6

Fairly quick career advancement as long as you dedicate yourself.

Former Employee - General Manager in Northfield, NJ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Northfield, NJ

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My District Manager was friendly and the other managers/employees were pretty supportive. There's a lot of management training and experience to be gained.

Cons

The company's focuses are a little out of whack, it makes sense from a regional manager's point of view but to a regulay associate it would seem senseless.

Keep being awesome but stand up to the big guys once in a while.

I've learned a lot!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The experience is something you cannot earn in many other places.
    - My co-workers nice and helpful.
    -The commission is a little low but at least you are earning over minimum wage.

Cons

-End of the month goals that you are supposed to meet can be stressful sometimes

the flash drives and micro SD card RSSP's needs to go away