RadioShack

2.4
1,478 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 141 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no concern for their employees unless they are chosen favorites (in 156 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 139 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much for too little

Former Employee - Sales Associate in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McKinney, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Doesn't open too early.
    Small stores.

Cons

Bad base pay.
    Commission only for phones.
    Bad management.
    Don't get many holidays.

Raise the base pay

No responsibility

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Provo, UT

I worked at RadioShack part-time

Pros

I found another job and got a great discount on my phone plan.

Cons

Poor pay, no management. Worked with unmotivated 20 somethings and disgruntled middle aged men. No schedule was provided more than a couple days in advance.

Find better management.

If you don't sell cell phones, you won't do well here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kearney, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kearney, NE

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interacting with people from all sorts of backgrounds.

The satisfaction of being able to problem solve your way through all sorts of obstacles was definitely one of the best aspects of the job.

Being able to sell products from a place that you feel is tailored to help others is very rewarding.

Cons

Selling cell phones sucks the soul out of you.
    Corporate management constantly telling you how to sell things in a location where their business model does not reflect the correct ideologies of its customers.
    One should not be scared of their district managers. Respect over fear.

Selling products like cell phones, cheap batteries, and other very low end electronics should be left to places like Walmart. The beautiful thing about RadioShack is it's history with how it treats its customers and I felt this has been forgotten because of the brute force pushing of warranties and cellphones. I started out at Radio Shack and I was very happy with the quality of the products that we sold. After several years and the constant "nagging" of upper management, I soon realized that RadioShack had to some extent sold out and only sold the most low end products that one could imagine. When other, less talked about, not electronic focused merchants sell better products, you know and feel that something very wrong has occured. What happened to selling products that didn't need to be sold with some sort of warranty. Everybody knows that the warranties are tactics employed by every major retailer to earn more money. These businesses make money, but adding ease to the ability to be able to make use of those warranties and better quality of products will in the end sell more of them. The more you push employees to sell them, the more the customer realizes that perhaps they shouldn't buy a product from a location that can't even guarantee it's functionality without the aid of some warranty or extra insurance. People aren't stupid and when you treat them like they are, they're not going to want to buy your products. Treat your employees and customers like you actually want them to stay and return. There is a large disconnect between the upper chief executives of this company and district managers. Upper management need to understand the customers, and the employees that directly interact with them. Having regional, district, and store managers trying to organize the mess that is retail needs more of a nexus that can provide them with actual feedback in order to better improve the company. In Nebraska, you can't sell products like you do in New York. The sooner managers realize this, the company as a whole will be able to profit more.

10 years of dedication meant very little overall

Former Employee - General Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to start out, fun, fast-paced environment depending on your location, bonus/incentive opportunities

Cons

Turnover was high, recognition was little to non-existent, pay was not worth the stress, incentives dissipated over the years, favoritism

When taking a new management position, get to know tenured employees and make sure you recognize a job well done when necessary. Not doing so makes for a miserable employee experience and turnover will increase

Micro-Managemant

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Nice people
    Ever ChangingTechnology

Cons

No work life/balance
    Constant Micromanagement
    Revolving door with upper management

None

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakewood, CO

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great coworkers and usually flexible hours depending on store manager

Cons

unrealistic expectations and sales goals, upper management does not relate/understand sales environment. extra money from commission entirely dependent on the store location, most stores do not sell much to earn commission on

spend a day or two in the store and you can see how difficult it is to meet the goals set

Great place to work besides the work load to pay ratio.

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

You really get to learn about everything in electronics.

Cons

The company would rather save their millions rather than having a fully employed store.

They need to pay attention to what the employees like and dislike. Its not about giving the workers what they want but acknowledging they we are all human beings.

What about the Associate?

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Never met an unfriendly coworker.

A paycheck.

Good starter job. Good work experience.

If there's a Radioshack near-by that needs help, you can expect as many hours as you want. Most stores around me run on skeleton crews, so that's really good if I want more under-compensation.

Cons

Terrible wages. If your in for the money, look elsewhere. Unless you spend time to get into management, Associate wage is a complete joke.

Bad upper management.

My area has unreasonable goals set every day. I have had to learn to not let a -$1000 under goal ruin my day. Since it happens most days.

You do everything from helping the elderly set up a phone, to helping guys with fuse replacements, to finding parts for HAM radio operators. So you need to learn a lot in very fast. Also, learn to offer products you don't believe in.

We have to offer protection for anything with the option. Prepare to get stared down for explaining the benefits of a $6 protection plan on a $20 phone case. When you don't meet Protection plan goal, prepare to be mauled by upper management. This is a main reason I would never recommend this job to a friend. Maybe an enemy.

Sure, phones are great, large ring credit, keeps the carriers happy. Oh, but the company makes as much profit on $100 of batteries as it does on 6 Post-Paid phones. So, maybe figure out what you want to sell instead of basing everything around phones.

I was, yesterday, told to "no longer focus on Pre-Paid phones and just Post-Paid", from my District Manager: to my Manager: to me. Maybe focus on the customer's needs: most people don't need the latest and greatest phone for $200 and at $120 a month, when a $100 phone on a $35-$50 prepaid plan works just fine. (And it's almost just as profitable to the company)...

What works in Fort Worth, Texas, doesn't necessarily work in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I have been across the country, the Radioshacks I was in were the exact same as mine. Even Walmart has some focus in local-need, when we don't.

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore...

Current Employee - Manager In Training in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in New York, NY

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Coworkers I work with are good people and the work environment is very friendly no matter who's store I work in. This really makes a difference and why I put 2 stars instead of one.

- Perks are good. Discounts, vendor deals, contests.

- Good way to learn about tech and be surrounded by like minded individuals.

- Good job for someone new to sales to learn skills if they're in a store with good management.

- Company seems to be to trying to improve image to public. It's somewhat exciting to see what this develops into.

- If you show potential, you can move up to be an ASM/SM.

Cons

- Too many hats to wear with too little pay. As a sales associate, your role is to be a sales guy/gal, stock boy, visual merchandiser and tech support for very close to minimum wage pay. The competition pays their employee much more and their only role is sell. The pay really does not match the work. As a key holder you're given managerial responsibilities but with the same pay as an associate. That makes no sense.

- Balancing time is difficult when goals are unrealistically high. Trying to make as many sales as possible to hit your goal (and make enough money) while trying to maintain the stock in a section of the store is exhausting. There's not enough time in your shift to do it all.

- The pressure of guiding a conversation with a customer towards a wireless topic regardless of what they are buying is getting out of hand. You can't force someone into buying something. It only leads to bad customer service.

- Some services are a disservice to customers which I feel is morally wrong for even offering them, but must be done to meet goals. Not very motivating at all.

- Favoritism. It sucks.

- Product selection is very limited and is missing what made Radioshack, well, Radioshack. This is the biggest complaint from customers.

- Proper training is never done because there is so much to be done the staff is overwhelmed and is also put out to sell without finishing it. This leads to the employee looking incompetent and a very pissed off customer.

- If you show potential, you can move up to be an ASM/SM with sucky pay.

- This is for management on the corporate level who aren't on the frontlines with the associates/key holders/ASM/SM/DM. Take feedback from us on what is working and what is not working. Come and visit the stores and speak to your employees and ask for honest feedback.

- Pay your employee what we are worth. We are on the frontlines interacting with the your target market, taking the good and the bad face on. The biggest complaint isn't rude people, or too much work or not enough training (lord knows not that) but it's "I don't get paid enough for this".

- Don't make new programs or operation rules just for the sake of it. As soon as we get comfortable with a good flow, you change things up and wonder thing aren't going as planned.

I for one will be looking for another job if things don't start to get better soon.

The Good and the Bad.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good deal on employee plans for cell phones.

Cons

Very demanding and low pay.

Need to look into paying there people better.