RadioShack Reviews

2.4
1,372 Reviews

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca
Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Great Training - trained for all major cell phone companies and fast paced (in 135 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates (in 140 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold (in 131 reviews)

More Highlights

micromanagement

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

not much really, just a typical retail job.

Cons

Micromanaged by upper level management to the point that the DM was requiring all sales associates to call him for approval for price changes no matter the reason; incorrect tags, coupons, etc.

Awful

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muncie, IN

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked explaining technology to the customer's and being up to date on the latest cell phone trends.

Cons

pay sucks, too much emphases on sales, little room for advancement.

Promote those who work hard not those who kiss your butt the best.

It is a learning experience.

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Fun environment if you have a good team.

Cons

The company constantly is changing policy and constant micromanaging. Also, I feel the company does not know what direction they are heading,

Consider your managers and realize how much work and effort they put in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RadioShack is not paying employees worth even though I love what Radioshack does for its customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time  in  West Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn to be a cashier, sell contract and prepaid phones, get sales experience, and learn about some tech stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

Cons

The pay is not worth the sacrifice. I have had to handle an entire in mall store by myself more than a few times, and have had to handle a few manager duties. I don't get paid for all the extra things I do. Many customers come in and and have to wait because there are very few of us at the store during big rush hours and we have to handle them all. Just last night I handle three customers at once. Once Contract phone, One return, and running a line for people buying simple products. The worst part is our three immediate management higher ups all left the company in the past two weeks. When district manager, regional manager, and my own manager leave all at once that usually means I got to book it out of their. Currently hanging in there for my coworkers but there is only so much one person can take.

some of our products are very over priced and our competition online and a few other major competitors offer more at their stores. Don't like that I have to on a regular basis send our customers elsewhere for a product we don't have in stock when they want it that same day.

Working at this place was like having someone write a horror comedy you didn't know you were starring in.

Former Employee - Sales Associate Manager In Training  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Manager In Training in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers were usually cool and my knowledge base on tech went through the roof because of the ridiculous amount of horrible stuff they make you do and learn. The toys were the coolest part of the job. You also learn how to make a lot of well not so family friendly adult type stuff with all their parts, and you can get just about everything you need to be a stalker or a moderately effective terrorist there.

Cons

This is modern day retail slavery and overseer at it's core. Nobody in the upper management staff knows anything remotely close to anything about tech, or tech sales for that matter. The district managers are highly paid idiots who do nothing (except pretend they do something when the regional mangers show up for store visits) but yell about unrealistic metrics, the ever redundantly changing planograms, and selling cell phones and protection plans and batteries. Most of them are either completely uneducated or over educated but nothing to do with tech. The pay is min. wage and they eliminated all full time employment last year so they wouldn't have to pay for benefits, then cut the hours to about 17 per person, but spread over 7 days so you have to be at the store everyday anyway. If you are a manager you will be required to work ridiculous hours in an understaffed location for a salary with no overtime but your total working hours will push your pay rate to at or below minimum wage. You will work every holiday even though no one comes into these stores on holiday hours, and the inventory process is a fools folly like someones attempt at counting a million puzzle pieces. A lot of the managers and employees were also paying for the protection plans out of their own pockets in the RDU area because nobody could meet the metrics and were being fired for it. My last district manager came from Blockbuster video, yes you read that correctly, and had no education past high school but they gave him the job, and the one before that was some fool with a business degree but was really a hustler who wore purple alligator shoes and hired all his boys from his old company to come run his new stores. We also got robbed about 5 times seriously and we were in an upscale location in a new shopping center, 2 were at gunpoint and one was with an ak47, 1 someone drove a truck through the store, and another someone threw a boulder through the front glass with a smiley face drawn on it and came in, another somebody just cracked open the back door with a crowbar. One night somebody actually robbed like 5 stores in our district the same night, but nobody ever questioned it being an inside job. Every manager we had and there stole a lot of stuff and there was about 5 in the lil time I worked there. One of the other stores managers we all thought was on meth by the way she looked everyday, then she got beat up and robbed making a night deposit in the hood, but she still works there too. This might be the only place on earth that is supposed to be a modern electronics store that actively stocks VCR's, Portable CD players, and VHS and audio tapes, players and recorders in 2014, but are out of every latest product by Apple or Samsung anytime somebody comes in to buy one................Run, unless you wanna learn electronics without paying for engineering school, run fast.

You have a bunch of Cavemen trying to fly a spaceship running your company and wonder why it's headed for the sun. The stock price is 0.55 cents today, but you need to be at a dollar to remain active, and redoing stores to make them look like Apple clones aint gonna get you there.

They punish you for working there

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can learn a lot about various electronic components and are occasionally able to help someone who is interested in what you have to say.

Cons

Like most retail jobs you must accept that you will have either no, or very little of a social life due to working a non-standard schedule. While that may be 'doable' or perhaps even 'not-too-bad', corporate (higher-ups) have very little idea of how the company works at a store level. The emphasis on selling cell phones is obnoxious but understandable when you look at how much the various carriers pay RadioShack, but, the way they want you to sell them and the Emphasis they place upon it often leads to unethical and immoral practices i.e. adding random fee's to a customer's cell phone bill and not telling them.

I do NOT wish to convey that ALL associates practice this, that would be a GROSS over-simplification of the issue. What I want to convey is that upper-management doesn't bother looking at the details. They see whether or not a given associate has met the required cell phone quota, then they look at how many accessories were added to the transaction. What they miss is that the only way for that associate to get above minimum wage is to screw the customer with a bad phone plan (i.e. giving granny 6GB of data and unlimited texting, when she just wants a basic phone for emergencies).

What all of this means is that if you are a decent person and are uninterested in compromising your integrity, this is a VERY hard company to work for. You are never "told" to do something unethical, but the only way to actually earn a living wage is to act like scum.

Focus on offering decent wages for associates and focus on HOW they are selling, not WHAT.

If a customer doesn't want a smart phone they don't want a smart phone, and placing an associate in the position that they have to force the customer is immoral on your part.

Instead focus on making sure that the associate is offering and explaining what is needed to satisfy the needs of that customer. Train them to work on expanding the sale organically by being friendly and actually listing to what the customer is saying and by trying to set the customer at ease so that they will open up about their lives. By following these simple guidelines I have (on more than one occasion) taken a customer that driven to the store for a pack of batteries and sent them out the door, grinning ear-to-ear, carrying brand new computers for their office, 4 new cellphones, and a myriad of other goodies. All. Because. I. Listened.

You may be shocked at how well you can do as a company if you make your employees happy instead of pinching every penny and working them to the bone.

Annoying.

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

The commission. The ability to make your own pay check is cool.

Cons

The minimum wage. Pay rate is way too low.

Raise the pay rate for sales associates.

Micromanaging at it's finest

I have been working at RadioShack

Pros

Compensation is good if you're in management

Cons

Very long hours and days.

Pay People a living wage and show some respect to them!!

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around.

Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks.

As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region.

Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.

Great resume filler but can't pay family bills

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet a lot of fun people throughout the day, easy work yet gratifying because the elderly need help with their cellphones and electronics, can make $10/hr easily, and move up fast.

Cons

Always gonna be someone who is a better seller, you can fall as fast as you climbed, as far as the GM position goes. I saw a manager who changed an entire store, plano after plano, sold orders directly from the verizon's warehouse often, and the district manager STILL wasn't happy. After months of a promised raise that never came, seeing good managers replaced, I said forget it.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!