RadioShack

RadioShack Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Feb 1, 2014

RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca

Joseph C. Magnacca

Pros
  • Cell Phone Carrier Reps were very helpful and friendly(in 134 reviews)

• Some pros for working at RadioShack is the some of the employee discount(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is horrible upper management does not really care about the associates(in 138 reviews)

• The only thing Corporate cared about was the amount of cell phones you sold(in 131 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is okay, not bad

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosflexible hours, able to see new products first.

Constoo many programs you have to achieve.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it standard for performance evaluation across the board.

Blur the line of ethics and harassment

Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCustomer service skills will greatly improve when management is not around.

ConsManagers are so focused on cellphone business that they forget about customers service and just bombard customers with wireless questions. Most customers leave dissatisfied never to return. I feel their pain, why go to a company that is going to force feed a product you may not need.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop harassing employees and customers.

Fun place to work, Corporate needs to clean up their act

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Antioch, CA

ProsMy coworkers where awesome and i loved helping customers. Very flexible schedule. Employee Cell phone plans

ConsToo much micromanagement and corporate keeps digging themselves a deep grave

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the micromanagement. They keep setting unrealistic goals to employees and are contently threatening employees jobs. Even when the employees pull in top ranking numbers around the district. Also stop hiring corporate rejects from other company's and start promote people within the company up. They also need to stop with the mobile phone sales strategy and start pushing out more electrical components or even bring back the in store electronics repair. Give people more jobs and get people in the store for almost any repair(cellphone, computer,tv,etc)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Area Recruiting Manager

Area Recruiting Manager (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsLots of flexibility in job, lots of perks (company car, free cell, free gas+insurance), great team

ConsSometimes got mixed messages about priorities, lots of hours

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize staff and provide support.

The death of life and freedom

Senior Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere is no pros in my opinion working for RadioShack.

ConsGreat people in a sexually hostile work environment and sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Management and to whom it may concern; All the hard work and respect I had for this company went away in one day. Treating a Manager who would go above and beyond for this company for 8 years like trash is really the way to should respect. I worked from 8am-1AM helping another store do inventory because my DM didn't want to attend, two days later I worked from 8am-4AM doing my own store cycle inventory, the next day I worked from 8AM-9pm, and the next day my DM had executed his plan all along to get rid of me. My 8 years I've sacrificed my family, my significant other, my pet died, and all along I felt it was worth killing myself 50 plus hours a week to prove myself to a company and its leadership that never cared for my loyalty.
    I've learned that some things in life money and a title just cannot buy. That's DIGNITY!
    Today I already found a new company to work for which I got blessed with a great position and salary. There is far more beyond cutting corners and saving costs.

Technology and people

Store Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get to see technology change and advance so quickly.

ConsThe company is a little slow to release needed products.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to enable store managers to increase their pay if their store volume increases consistently.

Once a Leader

Store Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWas once a great company, with its people at its core of strength

ConsNo longer values its people

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reviewing what worked in the past when the company was very successful and create a plan that will take you back to the top.

It an excellenct place to learn about electronics and sales techniques...

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsIt like free college on learning products.

Consnever getting raises, always pay your minimum wage and commission, only get good spiffs when selling cell phones with new agreements.

Advice to Senior Managementgive raises...like normal companies...then people would stay..80% and up of new hired quit within 6 months to a year..and you gave us these statistics at your meetings..

Great place to start

Radio Shack (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsNice work pace/load, great people, and a lot of freedom is given in this job (as far retail goes).

ConsLow pay if you're in a slow store, low budget and sometimes the company can do rediculous things.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of ways the company can simplify things and cut costs without cutting its people or productivity. Also, our stores need more hours in out budgets to actually have coverage and actually be able to serve our customers.

Terrible Middle Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Pittsburg, CA

Pros- Opportunity for extra $$$ from cell phone sales
    - Semi-decent employee discount
    - Good work/life balance and good working hours

Cons- Unfair promotion practices (upon being hired as a manager in training, (which paid a measly $9/hr) I was told I would be given the opportunity to manage my own store after a 5-month training course. When my school got in the way of this, I was demoted to regular old sales associate (a $1/hr pay cut). A few months later, my store was assigned a new manager...who had just been hired 2 months prior and did not need to take any classes. And his lack of training showed, as I was constantly correcting him or doing tasks for him.
    - Too much stress for not enough pay. You're made to shove cell phones/plans down customers' throats for barely minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and get back to your roots...stop focusing so much on cell phones. Also, be consistent when hiring managers, and don't hire someone as a manager who is a 2-month newbie when you have a former manager-in-training already well versed in the job.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!