Rady Children's Hospital Reviews

Updated March 8, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
2.6
Donald Kearns

Pros
  • Great benefits, diligent staff, and healthy work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care staff is exemplary and families are well cared for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance (in 2 reviews)

• We joke that no one listens to you in your first five years of employment, but this is sadly the truth more often than not (in 2 reviews)

Nice place to work, but managers can be hit or miss

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

All employees are friendly and hungry to work

Cons

HR department is very unorganized.

I wish there were more regular reviews that could provide employees with feedback.

2. Just an okay place to work

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

I did not work in the acute care realm of the hospital, so I don't know how acute care is. The workload was manageable, and the staff are friendly people. Management was approachable. Pay was reasonable. You get work experience at a respected place.

Cons

Work schedules are hectic and poorly organized. I had a 40 hour workweek instead of a 36 hour workweek so I would work 5 days a week. My days/nights off were random and sporadic, and staff would sometimes work over 7 days in a row. On occasion people would work 10-14 days in a row to get a 2 or 3 day weekend. We had a rotating schedule and placed wherever we were needed, which means we had to work a mixture of days, evenings, and nights and would often come in for an 11pm - 7:30 am shift then be forced to return at 3:00 pm for the 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm shift.

The majority of the staff on our unit wanted 12 hour shifts but our requests were ignored and rejected. We were supposedly transitioning to set shifts but it never happened. People have been quitting and leaving.

Staffing is always the bare minimum, which is awful for emergency situations.

Because our unit was not acute care we were kind of the redheaded stepchildren of the hospital.

This is an okay place to go until you find work elsewhere. Again, I don't know how it would be in other units, perhaps better?

Listen to what your staff wants. Staff adequately, not at the bare minimum. Hire management that has actual experience on our unit, not in another unit.

3. Assessment Specialist

Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Loved my actual job/responsibilities
    - Was always really busy and had a lot of responsibility
    - Was able to work independently and as a team during my 2.5 yrs @ the hospital
    - Made friends with some co-workers within dept. and external depts.

Cons

- Mgmt did not understand my job, as mgr never was on site, so I had to explain my job several times
    - Would regularly work 8-10 hrs/day with no lunch break
    - Limited opportunity for advancement
    - Mgmt plays favorites & is out of touch
    - Extremely low salary ($30,000/yr w/ bachelor's degree)
    - Employees who do poor job and don't speak up against issues are rewarded, and those who are great employees but speak up about problems, are punished (loved performance improvement plans)
    - High turnover
    - Concerns not taken seriously

- Get your heads out of the gutter!

5. Radiologic Technologist

Current Freelancer - Radiologic Technologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Radiologic Technologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital (more than a year)

Pros

Great patients, great pay, nice people

Cons

Make your own decisions about your experience.

I cannot advise management.

Financial Services (patient care)

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work experience if you can deal with kids and have a general interest in pediatric healthcare. Benefits and pay are decent compares to other healthcare entities.

Cons

Inept Management with a very vindictive style of management, HR is really slow for any feedback and seems to be a step behind on everything.

Please place actual supervisors and managers in place who have actual experience in management who can handle stress, people, and thinking "outside the box".

Medical Assistant II

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees' are passionate about the providing great patient care.

Cons

You are overworked, underpaid, they give lousy yearly raises, and the organization is called Shady Rady's for a reason. The management team does not care about their employees' or are they transparent. As for the benefits if you are a part-timer you have to pay more for them compared to someone full-time. Also, in reality part-time work means 32-39 hours, full-time is 40 hours and pre-diem is 0-40 hours with no benefits. Lastly, this place lacks promotions and growth opportunities.

Stop expecting part-time and pre-diem employees' to work 35 hours plus a week without providing extra pay or better benefits. Also, work on your communication skills between management and the staff.

8. Good experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I can't say much about the benefits since I wasn't full time. I was an intern for about six months. Overall, great staff and work experience. The research was interesting and I learned a lot from my mentors and supervisors while working there. There was an opportunity to become full time, but I decided to look for opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Unpaid, but I was an intern looking for experience.

9. Compassionate, progressive healthcare foundation.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent management, good training tools, very empathetic HR department; consistently positive atmosphere that reflects the Rady commitment to serve its primary patient base, children, with altruism and dedication.

Cons

Somewhat behind the times in technological infrastructure; much of this could be due to fluctuating revenue allocation. Not a major issue, can be resolved with clearer prioritization of IT resources.

More educational incentives to better equip key staff.

10. Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very passionate about what they do at this hospital and the care provided children is stellar. There is a lot of people who have longer than average tenure which speaks volumes. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Opportunities for training, mentorship and promotions from within seem to be lacking. There is also little offered in the way of flexible work schedules, job sharing or remote-work possibilities for those in non-clinical areas.

My experiences are irreplaceable however, the administration does shady things, thus the coined term "Shady Rady's" .

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only place in San Diego and Imperial Counties to practice medicine with very ill pediatric patients.

Cons

The only place to practice pediatric medicine. Competition is needed to make the administration aware that there are other places to go for those that want to remain working with the pediatric patient population.

Lighten up, be more transparent, stop making bone headed and knee jerk decisions, and show some genuine appreciation towards your employees, not the fake stuff you're throwing at us so you can attain Magnet status.

Rady Children's Hospital Photos

Rady Children's Acute Care Pavilion. California's first acute care LEED certified hospital.

+ Add Photo