Rady Children's Hospital Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Donald Kearns

Pros
  • Making kids smile, great benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The employees' are passionate about the providing great patient care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • My boss was an arrogant expletive who put his pride before the best interests of the company (in 2 reviews)

• Also, in reality part-time work means 32-39 hours, full-time is 40 hours and pre-diem is 0-40 hours with no benefits (in 2 reviews)

1. Surgical Technologist

Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for part-time and per diem staff. Individual administration heads seems to really care for their employees.

Cons

Hard for upward mobility within the organization, even with earned degrees and speciality courses taken.

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities for upward mobility for all levels within the organization.

Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time

Pros

Excellent place to work. Opportunity to collaborate with outstanding Physician , RN, RT and multidisciplinary support. Collegial relationship/environment. Great Interdisciplinary teamwork. Good competeitive salary. Great opportunity to learn and grow even if you have multiple years of experience or are a new grad. Most importantly proud of the care we deliver to our patients and families in the community. Excellent care and employee satisfaction is a top priority and this can easily be seen within the unit I work.

Cons

Cost of living can be high depending on where you live but many options available.

Advice to Management

Every month there seems to be a due date for something. I would prefer a list of 12-15 things due at annual review time vs each month having one task to do: engagement survey, background check, chex, competencies, safety survey, more chex modules, etc-

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the most caring place in the world. It is a wonderful atmosphere to work in. It's like a big family.

Cons

They do not have enough parking

Advice to Management

Add some more color to the walls and make it look more kid friendly in the older buildings. Need a new free standing emergency department

Clinical Informaticist

Current Employee - Clinical Informaticist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Informaticist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although I am mission motivated, I love where I work because I am respected for what I do and because I am given the independence to perform as a professional. I also appreciate the additional benefits I am offered, especially the part time tele-work option. I have found I have saved time and have better life/work balance. The salary is also very good and is reviewed annually against the market. Management cares about us and is very focused on our engagement.

Cons

We could use more staff in our department as there is so much more potential to what we can offer the organization thru technology. Our leaders do their best to try and add but are held tightly to budget.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. I appreciate they have our backs and are doing a lot to show how much we are valued. All of executive level leadership should focus more on value of what technology brings rather than the expense.

I love working here!

Current Employee - Coder
    Current Employee - Coder

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

Wonderful team supporting a wonderful mission.

Cons

I cannot really think of any.

RN

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best mission ever...to take care of the children of San Diego county. The people I work with are here because they want to be. As a nurse I could work anywhere but this is where I chose to be. I do feel that my leadership listens to my concerns and we have good communication.

Cons

Outdated cafeteria and food choices

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff input. It is important to be heard. Continue to support improved technology at the bedside

Business Development

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is no organization in San Diego with a better mission than Rady Children's Hospital. Whenever I am wearing my badge or logowear in public, parents and grandparents will stop to tell me about an experience they had at Rady Children's. They share stories about how we saved their child's life and the long term impact it has had on their family. They tell me how awesome the physicians, nurses and staff were while their child was in our care. I am very proud to work at Rady Children's Hospital. And I love that we are having such a far-reaching impact, providing care for children from out of our region and from around the world.

Cons

Working in a not-for-profit environment means that we are always careful about how we spend our resources.

Advice to Management

We have a top notch senior executive team lead by Donald Kearns, M.D. They lead by example and live the Rady Children's values. My advise is to continue on this same path.

A community-oriented organization

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A wonderful, caring organization; truly works miracles for the children under our care; everyone, from the top down, really does care not only about the patients, but also about the employees. Throughout my career, I have always worked for organizations that I could feel good about, that I felt were making a difference. Rady Children's is near the top as far as the companies I've worked for.

Cons

Any large organization or company can have a lot off red tape involved in getting things done. Rady Children's is no different.

10. A Place to do Meaningful Work

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of Rady Children's Hospital is near and dear to my heart. "To restore, sustain and enhance the health and developmental potential of children through excellence in care, education, research and advocacy." The organization lives and breathes this mission. The leadership team knows that people are the key to fulfilling this commitment to the community and are highly committed to ensuring that employee are engaged. Competitive salaries, regular market equity reviews, success sharing bonuses, longevity increases, annual reviews, regular gifts, employee feedback surveys, competitive benefits, anniversary gifts and paid leave to name a few!

Cons

There is so much work to be done to serve the children of Southern California and with low, single digit profit margins, Rady Children's Hospital like many healthcare providers is challenged to have sufficient funds to offer all of the much needed programs. We must often make tough choices about which of the many high priority initiatives we able to pursue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

11. Rady Children's CARES About Their Employees

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

Great place to work. The organization does its best to inform us of what's happening. I have served in the US Navy and not been able to find the next best job. When I started here in a few years ago, I now know there is nothing like this place. Mr. Ernest Rady gives and gives. Who would donate $120 to a company for anything? The children are the reason.

Cons

UNIONS, and that's pretty much it.

Advice to Management

Standby or call back

RSS Feed </> Embed