Rady Children's Hospital

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
2.8

Donald Kearns

Pros
  • Great benefits, diligent staff, and healthy work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care staff is exemplary and families are well cared for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance (in 2 reviews)

• We joke that no one listens to you in your first five years of employment, but this is sadly the truth more often than not (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Financial Services (patient care)

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work experience if you can deal with kids and have a general interest in pediatric healthcare. Benefits and pay are decent compares to other healthcare entities.

Cons

Inept Management with a very vindictive style of management, HR is really slow for any feedback and seems to be a step behind on everything.

Please place actual supervisors and managers in place who have actual experience in management who can handle stress, people, and thinking "outside the box".

Medical Assistant II

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees' are passionate about the providing great patient care.

Cons

You are overworked, underpaid, they give lousy yearly raises, and the organization is called Shady Rady's for a reason. The management team does not care about their employees' or are they transparent. As for the benefits if you are a part-timer you have to pay more for them compared to someone full-time. Also, in reality part-time work means 32-39 hours, full-time is 40 hours and pre-diem is 0-40 hours with no benefits. Lastly, this place lacks promotions and growth opportunities.

Stop expecting part-time and pre-diem employees' to work 35 hours plus a week without providing extra pay or better benefits. Also, work on your communication skills between management and the staff.

Good experience

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I can't say much about the benefits since I wasn't full time. I was an intern for about six months. Overall, great staff and work experience. The research was interesting and I learned a lot from my mentors and supervisors while working there. There was an opportunity to become full time, but I decided to look for opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Unpaid, but I was an intern looking for experience.

Incompetent management and no accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with families, children, and community who deserve the best treatment and care. Working with dedicated staff and teams (minus management) who are passionate and really do their best to care for children and families. Great benefits

Cons

Along with limited opportunity for advancement, the major issue was a company culture that does not value its employees or attempt to address and make real changes to company culture when concerns are brought up. Management is completely out of touch and are never held accountable for anything in their departments. In my 4 years there, there was high turnover, and every employee that resigned during that time did so due to poor management and feeling that their concerns were not taken seriously. This is a pity as many of these employees (including myself) enjoyed working there but could not work there any longer under such poor management. Current managers are incompetent and lack a clear vision that is necessary to grow existing programs and enhance Rady's work throughout the community and with families and children.

Hold incompetent managers accountable and stop sweeping major employee concerns and issues with management under the rug. This will only lead to a loss of more valuable employees that can no longer work under such conditions.

Compassionate, progressive healthcare foundation.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent management, good training tools, very empathetic HR department; consistently positive atmosphere that reflects the Rady commitment to serve its primary patient base, children, with altruism and dedication.

Cons

Somewhat behind the times in technological infrastructure; much of this could be due to fluctuating revenue allocation. Not a major issue, can be resolved with clearer prioritization of IT resources.

More educational incentives to better equip key staff.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very passionate about what they do at this hospital and the care provided children is stellar. There is a lot of people who have longer than average tenure which speaks volumes. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Opportunities for training, mentorship and promotions from within seem to be lacking. There is also little offered in the way of flexible work schedules, job sharing or remote-work possibilities for those in non-clinical areas.

Great Hospital for Patients, Not for Employees

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- feels good to help those in need

Cons

-they pay is terrible
    -work politics are bad

My experiences are irreplaceable however, the administration does shady things, thus the coined term "Shady Rady's" .

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only place in San Diego and Imperial Counties to practice medicine with very ill pediatric patients.

Cons

The only place to practice pediatric medicine. Competition is needed to make the administration aware that there are other places to go for those that want to remain working with the pediatric patient population.

Lighten up, be more transparent, stop making bone headed and knee jerk decisions, and show some genuine appreciation towards your employees, not the fake stuff you're throwing at us so you can attain Magnet status.

SR Business Systems Analyst - Project Lead

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You work for a company that helps children

Cons

they do not treat there employees very good

Stop Allowing Your Management Team Create a Hostile Environment

A comfortable place to work

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

Enjoy working here. Many people have been working for the hospital for many years. It gives you a sense of security knowing that people enjoy working there for extended periods of time.

Cons

In my particular position we are definitely under used. We are a very valuable group of individuals and we don't get utilized the way we should. It is frustrating knowing that you could be learning more things or helping others complete their jobs quicker.

Utilize your all of your employees in every department. After reaching out to your employees about changes they would like please try to implement them.

Rady Children's Hospital Photos

Rady Children's Acute Care Pavilion. California's first acute care LEED certified hospital.

+ Add Photo