Rady Children's Hospital Reviews

SR Business Systems Analyst - Project Lead

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You work for a company that helps children

Cons

they do not treat there employees very good

Stop Allowing Your Management Team Create a Hostile Environment

A comfortable place to work

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

Enjoy working here. Many people have been working for the hospital for many years. It gives you a sense of security knowing that people enjoy working there for extended periods of time.

Cons

In my particular position we are definitely under used. We are a very valuable group of individuals and we don't get utilized the way we should. It is frustrating knowing that you could be learning more things or helping others complete their jobs quicker.

Utilize your all of your employees in every department. After reaching out to your employees about changes they would like please try to implement them.

Behavioral Health Assistant

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital part-time for more than a year

Pros

I am allowed to make my own schedule, which is (nearly) invaluable.

Working with a completely different case nearly every day leaves a hugely lasting impression in the long run. There are world class talents around you at all times, and it shows.

People treat you like a saint when they find out where you work, which starts to rub off on you for a time.

Cons

Do you like peanuts? You will be paid in them. $13.47 an hour, with an unpaid and extremely strict half hour lunch break (if you are lucky enough to even get your lunch)

No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance.) They strongly desire a psychology degree, but only pay for the required high school diploma rate. You will likely be overqualified, and unless you are trying to be a nurse, you have absolutely zero prospects for moving up.

The hours are extremely long, and you may find that sitting in a room for 12 hours "sitting" is not for you. However, if this is something that you are able to do, be prepared for one of two things: being assaulted by behavioral children, or not interacting with a sick child for 12 hours. You are not meaningfully using your degree, nor do they want you to be.

Speaking of "sitting", after some amount of time of working within nearly every single department of the hospital, you will come to be profecient at doing other people's jobs. If being stuck in a room with someone who is screaming, dying, pulling at their lines, punching and kicking, or otherwise just ill isn't hard enough, you will soon be asked to do the nurse's jobs. If you don't learn to do them, you will be treated with such a grand level of passive aggressiveness that you may find yourself with an entire department of enemies VERY quickly. Heaven help you if you don't know medical terminology - maybe one out of three nurses will take this out on you in some passive way.

Finally (I could go on for a novel at this point), you will see your boss maybe two or three times a year. Your interactions will be vapid and meaningless, and thus you will leave feeling like you've just met a stepford wife. They are overly polite and very impersonal. Don't expect any realistic changes to come from them.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have taken this job. They are RIPPING YOU OFF and laughing all the way to the bank. The experience is golden, but unless you are ready to become a nurse within a few months of getting this job, its meaningless.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Give a crap about your "sitters". Your hospital would fall apart without the people who the patients and families interact with 95% of their stay. And stop calling them that, seriously.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rady's Health Information Management department is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Student Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, busy and supportive department.

Cons

Most all the employees are overwhelmed!

Priorities in the wrong place

Former Employee - Senior Accountant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Established institution that's not going anywhere. If you are risk-averse, it's a good option. Helps if you are passionate about what they do.

Cons

VERY large, bureaucratic institution. Very rigid. Have very specific expectations of the employees - right down to the way you sit in your chair - that are not communicated prior to hire but lack of following can get you fired quickly. Typical large department problems in that everyone is very siloed and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lack of communication from mid and upper-level managers.

Communicate. Even before people come on board. If slouching is something a person can get fired for, you need to let them know that before they quit their current job to join you. Shift your priorities - who cares how a person sits in their chair as long as they're producing a good work product? If the work product needs some adjustment, give them that feedback. Also, give new employees more than 2 weeks to acclimate to their new job and learn the ropes.

Stressful

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital

Pros

Great pay! Great staff. Good hours.

Cons

Poor management. Staff treated like children.

Loosen up, we are adults.

Very friendly team, provides the best patient care.

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teaching institution provides a wide range of teaching opportunities for inpatient and outpatient care. Super friendly physician, nursing, pharmacy, and professional staff.

Cons

The institution is slow to approve new projects and growth of the department I was in. My department was thinly staffed and it was challenging to provide optimal patient care.

Challenging Yet Rewarding

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with the kids and families!!

Cons

Upper Mangement too busy in meetings all day they have no idea what is going on with employees.. My mager asked me "WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?!" Really and this person is supposed to do my evalutation what is that I came here took a HUGE pay cut to work with kids sometimes I think was the pay cut really worth the headache that magement gives..

Stop Surfing the net!!!! Get out of the office and find out WHATS GOING ON!!

Current Employee

Current Employee - Non-nursing  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Non-nursing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rady Children's Hoospital San Diego is a wonderful place to work. They care about the children and their families in the community and also truly care about their employees. I look forward to coming to work and find that a lot of what you get out of this work is based on what you put into it. Attitude is a big part of how happy I am. It's not perfect, but what is? Still, it's a wonderful palce and the pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Some of the cons are that for some positions, there is little opportunity for advancement.

Thank you for caring about each of us. Kathleen, I miss you every day with your excellent attitude and smiles.

Don't.......you will be far more valued almost anywhere else

Current Employee - Clinical Informaticist  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Informaticist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Feeling happy to make a difference in the care provided to children

Cons

Management heavy; lowest pay scale of healthcare facilities in the area; cliqueishness; senior management is truly awful where they exist and non-existent most everywhere. The Manager in the area I work in is devoted to online shopping, clothing and gossiping about our peers directly with us. It is most uncomfortable. She refers to various minorities in uncomplimentary terms and spens a great of time locked in her office. I wouldn't care how she personally conducts herself, except the employee's well-being depends on her. She bends whichever way the wind blows and lives in terror of losing her own job (as she should).

Look up and familiarize yourselves with the terms "hostile work environment" and "lawsuit".

Worked for Rady Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!