Rady Children's Hospital

www.rchsd.org

Rady Children's Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
Rady Children's Hospital – “Rady Children's Acute Care Pavilion. California's…”

Donald Kearns

Behavioral Health Assistant

Behavioral Health Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI am allowed to make my own schedule, which is (nearly) invaluable.

Working with a completely different case nearly every day leaves a hugely lasting impression in the long run. There are world class talents around you at all times, and it shows.

People treat you like a saint when they find out where you work, which starts to rub off on you for a time.

ConsDo you like peanuts? You will be paid in them. $13.47 an hour, with an unpaid and extremely strict half hour lunch break (if you are lucky enough to even get your lunch)

No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance.) They strongly desire a psychology degree, but only pay for the required high school diploma rate. You will likely be overqualified, and unless you are trying to be a nurse, you have absolutely zero prospects for moving up.

The hours are extremely long, and you may find that sitting in a room for 12 hours "sitting" is not for you. However, if this is something that you are able to do, be prepared for one of two things: being assaulted by behavioral children, or not interacting with a sick child for 12 hours. You are not meaningfully using your degree, nor do they want you to be.

Speaking of "sitting", after some amount of time of working within nearly every single department of the hospital, you will come to be profecient at doing other people's jobs. If being stuck in a room with someone who is screaming, dying, pulling at their lines, punching and kicking, or otherwise just ill isn't hard enough, you will soon be asked to do the nurse's jobs. If you don't learn to do them, you will be treated with such a grand level of passive aggressiveness that you may find yourself with an entire department of enemies VERY quickly. Heaven help you if you don't know medical terminology - maybe one out of three nurses will take this out on you in some passive way.

Finally (I could go on for a novel at this point), you will see your boss maybe two or three times a year. Your interactions will be vapid and meaningless, and thus you will leave feeling like you've just met a stepford wife. They are overly polite and very impersonal. Don't expect any realistic changes to come from them.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have taken this job. They are RIPPING YOU OFF and laughing all the way to the bank. The experience is golden, but unless you are ready to become a nurse within a few months of getting this job, its meaningless.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a crap about your "sitters". Your hospital would fall apart without the people who the patients and families interact with 95% of their stay. And stop calling them that, seriously.

Rady's Health Information Management department is a great place to work!

Student Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly, busy and supportive department.

ConsMost all the employees are overwhelmed!

Priorities in the wrong place

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEstablished institution that's not going anywhere. If you are risk-averse, it's a good option. Helps if you are passionate about what they do.

ConsVERY large, bureaucratic institution. Very rigid. Have very specific expectations of the employees - right down to the way you sit in your chair - that are not communicated prior to hire but lack of following can get you fired quickly. Typical large department problems in that everyone is very siloed and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lack of communication from mid and upper-level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Even before people come on board. If slouching is something a person can get fired for, you need to let them know that before they quit their current job to join you. Shift your priorities - who cares how a person sits in their chair as long as they're producing a good work product? If the work product needs some adjustment, give them that feedback. Also, give new employees more than 2 weeks to acclimate to their new job and learn the ropes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful

ProsGreat pay! Great staff. Good hours.

ConsPoor management. Staff treated like children.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up, we are adults.

Very friendly team, provides the best patient care.

ProsGreat teaching institution provides a wide range of teaching opportunities for inpatient and outpatient care. Super friendly physician, nursing, pharmacy, and professional staff.

ConsThe institution is slow to approve new projects and growth of the department I was in. My department was thinly staffed and it was challenging to provide optimal patient care.

Challenging Yet Rewarding

Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWorking with the kids and families!!

ConsUpper Mangement too busy in meetings all day they have no idea what is going on with employees.. My mager asked me "WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?!" Really and this person is supposed to do my evalutation what is that I came here took a HUGE pay cut to work with kids sometimes I think was the pay cut really worth the headache that magement gives..

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Surfing the net!!!! Get out of the office and find out WHATS GOING ON!!

Current Employee

Non-nursing (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsRady Children's Hoospital San Diego is a wonderful place to work. They care about the children and their families in the community and also truly care about their employees. I look forward to coming to work and find that a lot of what you get out of this work is based on what you put into it. Attitude is a big part of how happy I am. It's not perfect, but what is? Still, it's a wonderful palce and the pay and benefits are good.

ConsSome of the cons are that for some positions, there is little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for caring about each of us. Kathleen, I miss you every day with your excellent attitude and smiles.

Don't.......you will be far more valued almost anywhere else

Clinical Informaticist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFeeling happy to make a difference in the care provided to children

ConsManagement heavy; lowest pay scale of healthcare facilities in the area; cliqueishness; senior management is truly awful where they exist and non-existent most everywhere. The Manager in the area I work in is devoted to online shopping, clothing and gossiping about our peers directly with us. It is most uncomfortable. She refers to various minorities in uncomplimentary terms and spens a great of time locked in her office. I wouldn't care how she personally conducts herself, except the employee's well-being depends on her. She bends whichever way the wind blows and lives in terror of losing her own job (as she should).

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up and familiarize yourselves with the terms "hostile work environment" and "lawsuit".

Hostile Work Environment, Poor Morale, Poor Management Team!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHelping Children in the area

ConsHostile Work Environment
    Low Salary & Benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and human resource department when you receive complaints about your management team don’t just sit by and ignore bad behavior your employees are tired of it and more often than not we would rather find other jobs in new organizations in turn causing the hospital to loose skilled vital workers.

A place for professionals to serve children and their families

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTools, protocols, clients are available

ConsGrowth of the hospital has happened so quickly, it is more difficult to know people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office!

Worked for Rady Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!