Rady Children's Hospital Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Donald Kearns

Pros
  • Making kids smile, great benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The employees' are passionate about the providing great patient care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • My boss was an arrogant expletive who put his pride before the best interests of the company (in 2 reviews)

• Also, in reality part-time work means 32-39 hours, full-time is 40 hours and pre-diem is 0-40 hours with no benefits (in 2 reviews)

1. Professional\technical Main Campus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is very rewarding. You really feel like your making a difference when with patients.

Cons

Management is appalling and completely unprofessional! Many times I have been present when management is demeaning and degrading patients or families behind closed doors (as if that makes it better). The mission of treating patients with dignity is lost on them. Have disciplined employees in front of other employees (which is humiliating for all parties involved). Expectation that hospital should be center of life and left little room to balance personal life. This does not extend to all departments but definitely experienced within the clinical environment. Compensation is not on same level as other hospitals in county. Career advancement is difficult.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at whether this is what you really want to do. Beware of burnout as this can affect the way you interact with patients and subordinates. Maybe consider a different setting.

2. social worker

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital part-time

Pros

Work with nice people who care about the patients they are caring for.

Cons

Lots of paperwork required by the county and high productivity standards which make it hard to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Management might want to focus on employee retention.

3. Social worker

Pros

Fair in the hiring process outstanding training. Supervisor diplomatic

Cons

Career advancement difficult on per diem schedule

Advice to Management

Look at structure of advancement for seasoned employee coming on board

5. Admin professional

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission. Great CEO. Dr. Kearns is very approachable and cares and the employees. Rady Children's is doing incredible things that will have an international positive impact on pediatric health.

Cons

Budget constraints seem to prevent adequate staffing in some departments. The company promotes a work-life balance, but it's hard when staffing is limited.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the evaluation tool. A numeric score is better than the current scoring terms.

Excellent Children's Hospital

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Place to work. I love the compassion & care shown to each & every patient.

Cons

When a child pass away, it's always hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. More bonus for employees

Excellent Team!

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time

Pros

The team at RCHSD is fantastic! It is wonderful to be part of such a strong organization and work side by side with dedicated and talented people.

Cons

I recently joined the team (early this year) and have not experienced any 'cons'.

Information Management

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clinical staff who care about the children.

Cons

New Leader insults employees to get his point across. Always name dropping execs whenever he rambles. Continuously praises himself. No need to remind staff daily about how wonderful you think you are. IM leaders only care about coming up with the next big thing that will impress the execs.

Advice to Management

Change needs to happen from the top. Need to make better decisions on initiatives for the organization. Stop thinking of the next big thing to impress execs with. Finish all of the other initiatives first. Hire leaders like HIM Director and CTO who care about staff and inspire them.

9. Great Staff, HORRIBLE management

Current Employee - Critical Care RN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Critical Care RN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love my actual job, patient population, and coworkers.

Cons

HR is a nightmare and management is really awful. I've worked at several hospitals and Rady's, by far, has the most corrupt HR department I've ever experienced. It's incredible. They continue to chip away at benefits and are constantly battling with the union. Rady's is only one of 2 hospitals in San Diego that has a union. There's a reason for it.

Advice to Management

Change has to come from the top down. Change the vision and hire positive leaders from outside of the Rady's system.

Rady Children's Hospital Response

Aug 7, 2015 – Manager, HR

The Rady Children’s HR Department is committed to providing exceptional service to the employees and applicants of our organization. We are sorry that an employee feels as expressed in this post. We ... More

10. Surgical Technologist

Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for part-time and per diem staff. Individual administration heads seems to really care for their employees.

Cons

Hard for upward mobility within the organization, even with earned degrees and speciality courses taken.

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities for upward mobility for all levels within the organization.

11. Director

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rady Children's has a great mission and also great people. It's grown over the years I've been here and so have the career opportunities. I've been supported over that time and the organization has invested in my development. I would recommend Rady Children's to anyone who wants to make a difference and be in a positive place to work.

Cons

It is a non-profit organization so we always have to be on a conservative spending policy.

RSS Feed </> Embed