Rady Children's Hospital

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
2.8

Donald Kearns

Pros
  • Great benefits, diligent staff, and healthy work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care staff is exemplary and families are well cared for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance (in 2 reviews)

• We joke that no one listens to you in your first five years of employment, but this is sadly the truth more often than not (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very passionate about what they do at this hospital and the care provided children is stellar. There is a lot of people who have longer than average tenure which speaks volumes. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Opportunities for training, mentorship and promotions from within seem to be lacking. There is also little offered in the way of flexible work schedules, job sharing or remote-work possibilities for those in non-clinical areas.

Compassionate, progressive healthcare foundation.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate (B) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent management, good training tools, very empathetic HR department; consistently positive atmosphere that reflects the Rady commitment to serve its primary patient base, children, with altruism and dedication.

Cons

Somewhat behind the times in technological infrastructure; much of this could be due to fluctuating revenue allocation. Not a major issue, can be resolved with clearer prioritization of IT resources.

More educational incentives to better equip key staff.

My experiences are irreplaceable however, the administration does shady things, thus the coined term "Shady Rady's" .

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only place in San Diego and Imperial Counties to practice medicine with very ill pediatric patients.

Cons

The only place to practice pediatric medicine. Competition is needed to make the administration aware that there are other places to go for those that want to remain working with the pediatric patient population.

Lighten up, be more transparent, stop making bone headed and knee jerk decisions, and show some genuine appreciation towards your employees, not the fake stuff you're throwing at us so you can attain Magnet status.

Incompetent management and no accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with families, children, and community who deserve the best treatment and care. Working with dedicated staff and teams (minus management) who are passionate and really do their best to care for children and families. Great benefits

Cons

Along with limited opportunity for advancement, the major issue was a company culture that does not value its employees or attempt to address and make real changes to company culture when concerns are brought up. Management is completely out of touch and are never held accountable for anything in their departments. In my 4 years there, there was high turnover, and every employee that resigned during that time did so due to poor management and feeling that their concerns were not taken seriously. This is a pity as many of these employees (including myself) enjoyed working there but could not work there any longer under such poor management. Current managers are incompetent and lack a clear vision that is necessary to grow existing programs and enhance Rady's work throughout the community and with families and children.

Hold incompetent managers accountable and stop sweeping major employee concerns and issues with management under the rug. This will only lead to a loss of more valuable employees that can no longer work under such conditions.

SR Business Systems Analyst - Project Lead

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You work for a company that helps children

Cons

they do not treat there employees very good

Stop Allowing Your Management Team Create a Hostile Environment

Behavioral Health Assistant

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am allowed to make my own schedule, which is (nearly) invaluable.

Working with a completely different case nearly every day leaves a hugely lasting impression in the long run. There are world class talents around you at all times, and it shows.

People treat you like a saint when they find out where you work, which starts to rub off on you for a time.

Cons

Do you like peanuts? You will be paid in them. $13.47 an hour, with an unpaid and extremely strict half hour lunch break (if you are lucky enough to even get your lunch)

No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance.) They strongly desire a psychology degree, but only pay for the required high school diploma rate. You will likely be overqualified, and unless you are trying to be a nurse, you have absolutely zero prospects for moving up.

The hours are extremely long, and you may find that sitting in a room for 12 hours "sitting" is not for you. However, if this is something that you are able to do, be prepared for one of two things: being assaulted by behavioral children, or not interacting with a sick child for 12 hours. You are not meaningfully using your degree, nor do they want you to be.

Speaking of "sitting", after some amount of time of working within nearly every single department of the hospital, you will come to be profecient at doing other people's jobs. If being stuck in a room with someone who is screaming, dying, pulling at their lines, punching and kicking, or otherwise just ill isn't hard enough, you will soon be asked to do the nurse's jobs. If you don't learn to do them, you will be treated with such a grand level of passive aggressiveness that you may find yourself with an entire department of enemies VERY quickly. Heaven help you if you don't know medical terminology - maybe one out of three nurses will take this out on you in some passive way.

Finally (I could go on for a novel at this point), you will see your boss maybe two or three times a year. Your interactions will be vapid and meaningless, and thus you will leave feeling like you've just met a stepford wife. They are overly polite and very impersonal. Don't expect any realistic changes to come from them.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have taken this job. They are RIPPING YOU OFF and laughing all the way to the bank. The experience is golden, but unless you are ready to become a nurse within a few months of getting this job, its meaningless.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Give a crap about your "sitters". Your hospital would fall apart without the people who the patients and families interact with 95% of their stay. And stop calling them that, seriously.

Rady's Health Information Management department is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Student Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, busy and supportive department.

Cons

Most all the employees are overwhelmed!

Challenging Yet Rewarding

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the kids and families!!

Cons

Upper Mangement too busy in meetings all day they have no idea what is going on with employees.. My mager asked me "WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?!" Really and this person is supposed to do my evalutation what is that I came here took a HUGE pay cut to work with kids sometimes I think was the pay cut really worth the headache that magement gives..

Stop Surfing the net!!!! Get out of the office and find out WHATS GOING ON!!

Current Employee

Current Employee - Non-nursing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Non-nursing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rady Children's Hoospital San Diego is a wonderful place to work. They care about the children and their families in the community and also truly care about their employees. I look forward to coming to work and find that a lot of what you get out of this work is based on what you put into it. Attitude is a big part of how happy I am. It's not perfect, but what is? Still, it's a wonderful palce and the pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Some of the cons are that for some positions, there is little opportunity for advancement.

Thank you for caring about each of us. Kathleen, I miss you every day with your excellent attitude and smiles.

Priorities in the wrong place

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Established institution that's not going anywhere. If you are risk-averse, it's a good option. Helps if you are passionate about what they do.

Cons

VERY large, bureaucratic institution. Very rigid. Have very specific expectations of the employees - right down to the way you sit in your chair - that are not communicated prior to hire but lack of following can get you fired quickly. Typical large department problems in that everyone is very siloed and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lack of communication from mid and upper-level managers.

Communicate. Even before people come on board. If slouching is something a person can get fired for, you need to let them know that before they quit their current job to join you. Shift your priorities - who cares how a person sits in their chair as long as they're producing a good work product? If the work product needs some adjustment, give them that feedback. Also, give new employees more than 2 weeks to acclimate to their new job and learn the ropes.

Rady Children's Hospital Photos

Rady Children's Acute Care Pavilion. California's first acute care LEED certified hospital.

+ Add Photo