Rady Children's Hospital
www.rchsd.org San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Rady Children's Hospital Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 26, 2014
Rady Children's Hospital – “Rady Children's Acute Care Pavilion. California's…”

Donald Kearns

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rady's Health Information Management department is a great place to work!

Student Intern (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly, busy and supportive department.

ConsMost all the employees are overwhelmed!

Challenging Yet Rewarding

Clinical Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsWorking with the kids and families!!

ConsUpper Mangement too busy in meetings all day they have no idea what is going on with employees.. My mager asked me "WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?!" Really and this person is supposed to do my evalutation what is that I came here took a HUGE pay cut to work with kids sometimes I think was the pay cut really worth the headache that magement gives..

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Surfing the net!!!! Get out of the office and find out WHATS GOING ON!!

Current Employee

Non-nursing (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsRady Children's Hoospital San Diego is a wonderful place to work. They care about the children and their families in the community and also truly care about their employees. I look forward to coming to work and find that a lot of what you get out of this work is based on what you put into it. Attitude is a big part of how happy I am. It's not perfect, but what is? Still, it's a wonderful palce and the pay and benefits are good.

ConsSome of the cons are that for some positions, there is little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for caring about each of us. Kathleen, I miss you every day with your excellent attitude and smiles.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Priorities in the wrong place

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsEstablished institution that's not going anywhere. If you are risk-averse, it's a good option. Helps if you are passionate about what they do.

ConsVERY large, bureaucratic institution. Very rigid. Have very specific expectations of the employees - right down to the way you sit in your chair - that are not communicated prior to hire but lack of following can get you fired quickly. Typical large department problems in that everyone is very siloed and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lack of communication from mid and upper-level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Even before people come on board. If slouching is something a person can get fired for, you need to let them know that before they quit their current job to join you. Shift your priorities - who cares how a person sits in their chair as long as they're producing a good work product? If the work product needs some adjustment, give them that feedback. Also, give new employees more than 2 weeks to acclimate to their new job and learn the ropes.

Don't.......you will be far more valued almost anywhere else

Clinical Informaticist (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFeeling happy to make a difference in the care provided to children

ConsManagement heavy; lowest pay scale of healthcare facilities in the area; cliqueishness; senior management is truly awful where they exist and non-existent most everywhere. The Manager in the area I work in is devoted to online shopping, clothing and gossiping about our peers directly with us. It is most uncomfortable. She refers to various minorities in uncomplimentary terms and spens a great of time locked in her office. I wouldn't care how she personally conducts herself, except the employee's well-being depends on her. She bends whichever way the wind blows and lives in terror of losing her own job (as she should).

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up and familiarize yourselves with the terms "hostile work environment" and "lawsuit".

A place for professionals to serve children and their families

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsTools, protocols, clients are available

ConsGrowth of the hospital has happened so quickly, it is more difficult to know people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office!

Hostile Work Environment, Poor Morale, Poor Management Team!

ProsHelping Children in the area

ConsHostile Work Environment
    Low Salary & Benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and human resource department when you receive complaints about your management team don’t just sit by and ignore bad behavior your employees are tired of it and more often than not we would rather find other jobs in new organizations in turn causing the hospital to loose skilled vital workers.

A Frustrating Letdown

San Diego, CA

ProsThe medical staff is awesome.

ConsThe company stresses the CARES model when you're first hired, (Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Excellent, Safe) but in my former department they did little to implement such procedures. Innovation is not only shunned, but if you do try to improve functionality, savings to the company, and most importantly patient and caregiver service, you get a target on your back. My boss was an arrogant expletive who put his pride before the best interests of the company. Any fresh ideas to benefit patients and the company was met with scorn, and roadblocks were quickly thrown in front of you. Ideas would be mocked and turned around on you with anger and intimidation tactics and you'd essentially be told you’re stupid. This certain manager should be grateful for an employee's positive attitude and contributions, and want to show off to coworkers what a great pick they made in hiring them, but they instead act the complete opposite; they feel threatened like they are being outed for the idiots they are. I could see why others in my department would do the least amount of work possible and act like drones that just show up for a paycheck. The people who do show a great work ethic will have up to four people's work and their mistakes piled upon them and then get blamed if things don't go perfectly well. Even if things did go extremely well, you'd receive zero kudos.

I would often shake my head in disbelief on how some of my coworkers were hired. Some of them should have been fired or dumped off on another department, but instead they’re promoted! The managers should be fired for being so incredibly stupid for throwing these burdens upon the company and the coworkers. Instead you’re told to suck it up and take up the slack. Unbelievable.

Don't count on the department's director to do anything; they'll just side with the manager while putting a black mark against your name. In fact both of them were hired into their positions simply because of longevity, and definitely not competence and personality. Our director was nothing but impervious and ignorant toward departmental functions, yet in their defense, they were rarely present to oversee our learn the operation.

Glad I could finally get out of that department!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horses and listen to the "little people". Some of them are likely smarter than you. Kathleen Selleck apparently knows little of some of her director's “skills”. Perhaps she should go on the show "Undercover Boss".

Unfair

PaymenApplication Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsHelping Children and Supporting Customers

ConsAdding on more and more responsibilities without adding pay

Advice to Senior Managementevaluate the employee's work before adding more.

Disappointing company to work for, though the care for the kids is great.

Staff RN (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsOnly Children's Hospital in the area.

ConsImpossible to change anything! Practices are outdated, equipment is outdated and there is never enough. Understaffed. Hospital does not provide enough support for parents.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers, support change, support new ideas and purchase enough equipment to allow us to do our jobs!

Worked for Rady Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rady Children's Hospital reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rady Children's Hospital CEO Donald Kearns. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Rady Children's Hospital employees.