Rafael Vinoly Architects

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rafael Vinoly Architects President Rafael Vinoly

Rafael Vinoly

Overall neutrally rated introductory job

Junior Architect (Current Employee)

ProsExposure to corporate environment
    Lunch and learns and AIA credit options
    Benefits and insurance plan
    Nice office

ConsArrogance and complete silence throughout work environment
    No investment or mentoring in new employees
    No additional career opportunities within office
    No consistent area of expertise in design services

Junior architect

Junior Architect (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI worked for a big name starchitect. It glossed up my resume in the short run.
    I have met incredible people from this place. Years after we all departed, we all still get together every now and then.
    This valley was the lowest point in my career, after departing, my career have reach one new peak after another.

ConsModern day slavery. 80 hours / week is the norm.
    No career opportunities.
    No work/life balance.
    Senior management lack long term vision. They are all yes (wo)men to the emperor

Advice to Senior Managementsenior management had sold their soul long ago

Model Maker on All Projects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working at RVAPC. Great project managers and a culture of support and encouragement. The model department was a joy to work in.

ConsLong hours and sometimes negative experiences with burnt-out architects, but not bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more work for the firm and hire more model makers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst experience of my life

New York, NY

ProsI can't think of any

Consif you don't mind to be badly treated, badly payed, work at least 12 hours a day, be forced to go on sundays, and be constantly threatened to be fired otherwise, then this is the company for you.
    If you are abroad and they offer to give you a job, don't believe them. They'll make you pay for every expense (including a lawyer) and you'll be trapped.

good to get trained here

San Francisco, CA

Proswonderful design project, good for resume
    can access to more phases of projects
    challenging design and presentation
    challenging clients
    internationally recognized brand

Conshigh turn over
    the worst benefit
    no family life
    leadership might not appreciate you at all
    no annual review with high management
    not nicely treat employee

RVA- NOT number 1architecture firm in employees minds

New York, NY

ProsIt is a large, reputable architecture firm with world-class design and innovation. As a junior architect this is a great place to get a start, but not a place to have an actual career.

ConsThe office culture, the treatment of employees and the overall atmosphere is atrocious. It is rare that people work less than 12+ hour days complete with 7 day work weeks. Additionally it seems that if you DO leave on time, you're obviously doing something wrong and are dispensable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention would be higher if proper evaluations were conducted along with critical feedback. Every so often it would be nice to know that an employee is doing a good job. Communication is very poor from leadership and the fact that the employees are dispensable is widely known throughout the firm.

Lots of rockstars.

New York, NY

ProsThey have impressive large-scale projects and they're located downtown. Also, their research & training program appealed to my personal interest in educational programs, which I hoped to contribute some of my efforts to.

ConsThe directors only spoke to me when they needed something. There were a lot of egos to placate. It worried me when i heard rumors that the place is a revolving door and rumors that the firm exercises at-will employment often. I was aware I was overhead in a non-core/non-client-driven department and knew that I could be let-go at any moment. Also, I was disappointed by what was 'sold' to me at my interview and what happend when started working at the firm.

Initially when I interviewed with my Project Director for the job and I asked about job growth, she told me the 'door is wide open.' As I settled into my job, I asked for feedback and to goal-set with my Project Director, which lead to vague responses. Soon after, I was told I wasn't as spontaneous as the firm, my expectations are too high, and that I asked questions that can't be answered. I wanted to make a difference at the firm, but was left crushed after the conversation.

Here are a few examples why I dislike about Rafael Viñoly Architects:

1. When the Director of Communications needed something from me, she would curl her pointer finger at me in a 'come here' motion to show that she needed me to go where she was where then she gave me directions on what to task to do. I didn't like her finger curling, but I put up, shut up and kept the peace. It left me feeling like I was being treated as a misbehaving child.

2. I was neither informed nor invited to any design planning discussions with my directors: Project Director, Creative Director, Director of Communications, and Director of Environmental Graphics. It was no surprise to me when I was asked to execute a variety of e-press releases, e-marketing, e-internal newsletter communication initiatives the relevant images did not fit in the templates. My Director of Communications had a deadline and was noticeably irritated when I asked her questions about how she'd like to proceed about the ill-fitting images. I explained to her a strict vertical is not going to fit in a horizontal-sized space in the template. I then asked the Creative Director who also looked noticeably irritated that I was asking him the same question. He provided a solution and I executed it. The e-communication letters were sent out on time, albeit a little crude-looking, in my opinion.

3. When I executed powerpoint presentations for my Project Director, she informed me that the Director of Environmental Graphics would be involved for the look and feel of the powerpoint presentation. Okay with me, except that while I'm executing, my Project Director AND Director of Environmental Graphics would give directions to me both at the same time! My Project Director directed me on editing the content while my Director of Environmental Graphics directed me to tweak images, type, design elements, etc. I would say, can each of you please take turns and give directions one at a time? No response from each of them, and they both proceeded to continue to give me directions simultaneously (basically, talking over each other). I then said, I will only take directions from my Project Director at this time, and Mr. Director of Environmental Graphics, I will review the powerpoint presentation with you afterwards for tweaking input. They both didn't look too jazzed about what I said, but begrudgingly agreed. I prefer to not execute simultaneous directives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo communicate to staff about what's going on with the department/firm, provide clear direction, accept accountability, show transparency, etc.

Best

Project Architect (Current Employee)
    Dhaka (Bangladesh)

ProsArchitecture is a dialogue with the forces of life. In every project, I seek to maximize the opportunity for civic investment with a goal of forming iconic works that fulfill the needs of the client."
    - Rafael Viñoly

Cons“Great work, terrible environment”

Advice to Senior Managementcreative

Great work, terrible environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh profile jobs with great portfolio potential. Opportunity to amass lots of IDP hours in a very short time.

ConsVery low value of employee work. Long hours and low wages even by industry standards. High turnover rate means lots of sudden covering for the recently departed. Very inefficient due to singular designer who is balancing dozen+ projects in multiple stages.
    Principle is often disrespectful and unprofessional in manner to employees and even clients.
    Generally the number one topic of employee discussion is the desire to leave.

Worked for Rafael Vinoly Architects? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rafael Vinoly Architects reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rafael Vinoly Architects CEO Rafael Vinoly. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Rafael Vinoly Architects employees.