Raffles College of Higher Education.

www.raffles-college.edu.sg

2.2
CEO

1. Administrative melt-down

Current Employee - Lecturer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Raffles College of Higher Education. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positive aspect to working at Raffles, Kuala Lumpur, is the mix of faculty and good students. Eager students and most lecturers are committed to providing a good education.

Cons

The college lost many good lecturers this year. Many quit. One of the best lecturers was not offered a contract renewal - rumor is that she was too expensive and the work she was hired to do was done well and they could replace her with cheap hires.
    Most of the faculty are professionals. A few have no integrity or quality and give students a mess of low standards education. In the nearly two years I have been a lecturer I have seen the quality of the student work go down and the turn over of lecturers is high. Students are worried.
    Our new administrative team has replaced quality for quantity and do not support the programs. Some on the senior administrative team are very inappropriate with students.

Advice to Management

Get a different job. You will destroy this campus.
    Students are doing well in spite of management, not because of management and because we still have good lecturers, but at the rate they are leaving this won't last. I will not be renewing my contract.

2. High Quality Design Institution, shame about the difficult managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Raffles College of Higher Education. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Shanghai campus for 3 years. The lecturers were fantastic at turning students with very little (or no) design skills into budding designers. Raffles students & colleges win awards around the world year on year, and all staff work extremely hard to ensure the students can embark on successful careers, which they invariably do.

Cons

The management structure was very strict and autocratic. Far too much attention to unnecessary detail, while ignoring bigger problems. This is something which actually got worse during the 3 years i was there. I saw lots of staff leave as a result of snr management being unable to manage them properly. I believe the real problem was one of culture. A deep clash of European/American methods of working with that of Singapore methods.

Advice to Management

Drop the 'yes man' culture. Be fairer and more open minded in dealing with staff. Understand that managing creative people (designers) is different from managing factory employees or soldiers.
    This is a great organisation with the real potential to go from strength to strentgh.

3. Gained a lot of exposure and experience but a shitty company as they exploit you.

Current Employee - Education Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

Good place to learn Sales and Marketing.

Cons

If teammate fails, you fail. Period. And they exploit you.

5. Discovering China

Former Employee - Lecturer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Raffles College of Higher Education. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discover a new culture, and travel around Asia.

Cons

There are no possibility to grow.

Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Raffles College of Higher Education.

Pros

Doing what I am meant to do on my terms

Cons

Lack of system and leadership

Good Intentions to Promote "Education for Everyone", but Needing More Focus and Structure

Former Employee - Lecturer for Raffles Design Training Centre in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I worked at Raffles College of Higher Education.

Pros

Located in Southeast Asia. The weather is warm, and food is fresh. Classes have a basic outline and teachers are able to "tailor" the outlines to their own style of teaching. Basically free to speak and teach however you want. The only evaluations you will receive are from your students at the end of each term.

Cons

Ridiculously low salary, especially for lecturers coming from a developed country. You are required to work over 40 hours a week or more. That's 5 days a week plus Saturday. Only a short vacation with no summer break. Only 1 week break between each term. No health insurance is provided, which I think is ridiculous to hire lecturers into a third world country and not provide health benefits . If you get into a serious motorbike accident, the company might refund your medical bills, pending the situation. They do not compensate for housing. There are no requirements for the students skill level, even for the design programs.The classes have all types of students, some with talent, some without, some with no English speaking ability, some with a basic English speaking ability. The only requirement this school seems to care about is having enough money to pay tuition. Quality has gone out the door. They don't care about the lecturer, the student, or about making a good impression and contributing to the culture of the communities they impact all over Southeast Asia. These Singaporeans are in it for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Standards provide value. When you have value you will be appreciated. Until you put value into the customers i.e. the students that are making you money, you will continue to fail.

Poor pay, endless promises, lack of facilities, no budget, that said; good location, decent students & small class load

Current Employee - Lecturer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Raffles College of Higher Education.

Pros

Location, class load, decent students, good core group of lecturers, small class sizes, headquarters and senior management work in Singapore so you have some autonomy

Cons

Lack of budgets, facilities, and support. Poor upper management teams that run the school with the bare minimum. Pay range is lower than other area colleges.

Advice to Management

Fix the lack of communication between faculty and mid and senior management. Pay more to your current staff. Institute automatic pay raises to staff to minimize the high turnover. Invest in infrastructure and update courses and classrooms.