Railinc Reviews

Reset
3.8
Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West
E. Allen West

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule that makes it great for work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bench seating has turned the place into one giant call center looking place (in 7 reviews)

• Real leadership comes from a few middle managers who know how to manage and understand the rail industry (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Awesome work life balance

Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Although railinc isn't the highest paying in the industry, there are other great benefits. Healthcare is top notch. Free O2 gym memberships, and onsite boot camps. Railinc also has an onsite gym and yoga classes! Lots of fun people, work from home flexibility and lots of sick/vacation. The job security is treated, owned by the Aar. Little to no chance of being laid off

Cons

Not huge promotions, hard to grow salary wise. If you work hard you will be noticed though.

Advice to Management

I personally love the executive team. You can't work many places where the entire executive team knows you by name, or works out next to you at the gym. Pretty open environment

Feb 19, 2015 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I think you hit on good points about Railinc. Our work is important here, but it's also important for you to have a good life. Lots of folks workout during the ... More

2. Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Cary, NC

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great people, great customers, fun to come to work everyday because everyone enjoys working here.

Cons

There are some very bright people that work here but the pay could be a little better to validate that statement.

Upper level management - very unapproachable

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cary, NC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are very good and lots of schedule flexibility

Cons

The politics of the company is horrible. The turnover rate is very high. I was there for over 2 years and we lost an average of about 2 people per week. Sometimes it was as high as 5 or 6. They would replace them and then the cycle would start all over again. They hire a lot of contractors and then treat them very badly. This was the 1st time I have ever worked for a company that treated contractors so badly. I was eventually hired on permanent but still upper managements attitude toward other employees in the company was damaging to the morale of those that worked very hard on daily basis.

Advice to Management

Interact with the people that work very hard to make your company the success that it was and treat all employees the same.

Decent Company, Good Benefits, GREAT People!

Former Employee - Director in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Railinc for 5 years. There have been ups and down with the organization, but what company in this day and age does not have these issues? The good about Railinc is the stability and benefits. You could work at Railinc your entire career if you choose, and doing so will provide you with a nice Railroad pension. By far the people are what make this place great, building good relationships is the key to success with this organization.

Cons

Railinc could benefit by making sure that all groups are paddling the boat in the same direction. With so many products and so many irons in the fire, this is a challenge. If Railinc could accomplish this, the sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the mission, vision, and values you have set forth for the organization. Your people are your most valuable asset, make sure that everyone understands what these three values mean and how they must demonstrate them through their actions tot the company; service, collaboration, & results.

Good benefits but Culture not for everyone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits - flexible hours, fun social events - Hard working, dedicated employees.

Cons

Many in the Railroad industry are resistant to change. Until recently they were still using microfiche! Many of the long-term employees were not open to new or different ways of thinking or doing things. This has worked well for many of their customers, who also are stuck in the dark ages, but made for a lot of inefficiencies. Many employees are happy there, but it's not a culture for innovative thinkers.

Advice to Management

Management could really improve the bottom line if they listen to the ideas of newer employees and not be afraid to take risks.

Dec 1, 2014 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for taking time to write your review. First, you are correct – Railinc culture is not for everyone. For other folks reading this, it helps to know that our role is to help improve the safety ... More

Steady Progress!

Current Employee - Director Product Support in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Director Product Support in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are outstanding! Life work balance has to be the best in the industry. High performers are retained, promoted and given recognition. In the eight years that I have worked at Railinc, there has never been layoffs. The company is currently going through a growth spurt. As management adjusts to the new direction of Railinc there are going to be growing pains. Railinc does not have share holders. Decisions are mostly industry value based, not strictly profit and loss. High performers at lower level positions are promoted at a rapid pace. The workplace is open, engaging and collaborative. Lunch activities, from volleyball, running, soccer and yoga are available on a daily basis. Railinc is finalizing a migration from IBM/DB2/EMC mainframe infrastructure to a mid-range Cisco UCS/Oracle/Net-app/VMWare/Teradata platform. This migration work has been a drain on resources. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel (And it is not a train!). Sometime early 2015, Railinc will be free of the legacy platform and able to concentrate on providing increased value to our customers.

Cons

Smaller companies have limited upper management opportunities. The rail industry as a whole is quite conservative. Operational excellence is the guiding management philosophy at Railinc. Operational excellence is a competitive advantage: it translates to increased production flexibility, improved customer responsiveness, and cost minimization. Some individuals can get frustrated if they do not understand these drivers. For example, developers who want to design the next cutting edge widget may feel constrained. This is not to say that current technologies are not employed. In fact, many new proven technologies are standard. The key word is proven.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify leaders and ensure that these individuals are given opportunities to shine. Continue to shift from being a traditional IT centric company to embracing the move towards being customer centric. Look at current business drivers and ensure they align with the corporate strategy. Find ways to incentivize product management to adopt architectural and design standards.

Sep 26, 2014 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your very detailed review of Railinc. I think you nailed it in your discusion of operational excellence. Given our role in our industry, Railinc is not necessarily focused on developing ... More

Manager assigns high risk project with unrealistic timelines and push contractor to meet deadlines

Former Contractor - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Cary, NC
    Former Contractor - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Veify Agile focus work environment, allowing team building with all stakeholders.

Cons

Sweat shop, low pay. Management took no accountability for their errors on project(s).

Advice to Management

Go beyond ahering to managment team concerns and ahere to non-management concerns.

May 20, 2015 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience as a contractor. Contract positions by definition can be limiting and very project focused. While I don't know all the details of ... More

Low Pay but Work/Life Balance is Good

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here at Railinc are really great and a lot of lasting friendships have been made. I do not dread coming to work every day because I really enjoy the people I work with. As long as you are not in the Customer Service Center your hours are fairly flexible. The railroad industry is very interesting and a unique topic to learn about. The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry.

Cons

As stated before the salary is low and when you are given a ‘raise’ it’s not going to be big, so if you start out with a low salary, get used to it because you will only be able to get about 2%. Deliverables are driven by committees and they put project work ahead of maintenance to existing systems so maintenance almost never gets done and you have to deal with the same broken applications year after year. Most Product Managers are so jaded they brush of customer requests for fixes or new products. We now a have a fat tax and a smoking tax added onto individual health insurance costs. If you have any questions about this good luck getting a response back from HR.

Advice to Management

The declining benefits should be off set by higher compensation. I understand that you were told to get out of your corner and interact with the employees but it's a little creepy when we see you walk around the building and not say anything to anyone. With the bench seating it makes us feel like you're checking up on us. Some AVP's seem to be running around like a chicken with their head cut off, not knowing how to make a decision.

Jul 3, 2014 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your review of Railinc. The people at Railinc are indeed what makes for a good work environment. And we do serve an interesting and critical industry that helps move everything you can ... More

Great company, interesting work, unique industry

Former Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IT within the railroad industry. Railroads are much more complicated than one might think. The work I did was interesting and challenging. The industry is fascinating. Railinc deals with massive amount of data such as freight car health, car repair data, car movement events, detector data. Lot of neat stuff is being done and could be done with such data. Benefits are phenomenally good (cost to insure my family with very low deductible, excellent coverage plan was <$150/mo) which is unheard of! If you stay 5+ years, eligible for federal railroad retirement which is similar to and in addition to social security. Work-life balance was good for me; some travel involved which I welcomed. The people are fantastic! I worked with outstanding people and will miss them.

Cons

Salary is well below market. Personal growth is limited, partly because the company is so small and ultra conservative. Leadership is fine but uninspiring. Office setup is terrible. Large open spaces of tiny workstations makes it feel like a low-end call center devoid of collaboration and privacy. It's a small company but acts like a big company with lots of bureaucracy and slow progress on everything (which may be reflective of the railroad industry). Lots of work and deliverables at the last minute signals little strategic planning.

Advice to Management

Provide leadership training for anyone who is interested. Develop Railroad training program for employees to visit shops, yards, operations centers to help make the work less abstract. Stop avoiding eye contact with lower ranking employees as you pass them in the hall.

Jun 2, 2014 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thank you for your comments about Railinc. Railinc works hard to provide good benefits and challenging work. As you know the rail industry is very complex, filled with history and technological ... More

Good company to work if you are over 50

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, not bleeding edge but leading edge technologies

Cons

No growth, Salary is below par

Advice to Management

Nothing unless the whole business model is changed. With the current business model that DOESN'T allow any kind of growth, keeping all the employees happy (and interested) with career opportunities is really hard.

Jun 2, 2014 – Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your comment. Railinc has enjoyed steady growth over the past five years, going from 180 employees to about 300 today. Our company's business model is indeed unique and certainly unlike ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed