Railinc

3.1

Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West
E. Allen West

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, interesting work, unique industry

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC

Pros

IT within the railroad industry. Railroads are much more complicated than one might think. The work I did was interesting and challenging. The industry is fascinating. Railinc deals with massive amount of data such as freight car health, car repair data, car movement events, detector data. Lot of neat stuff is being done and could be done with such data.

Benefits are phenomenally good (cost to insure my family with very low deductible, excellent coverage plan was <$150/mo) which is unheard of! If you stay 5+ years, eligible for federal railroad retirement which is similar to and in addition to social security. Work-life balance was good for me; some travel involved which I welcomed. The people are fantastic! I worked with outstanding people and will miss them.

Cons

Salary is well below market. Personal growth is limited, partly because the company is so small and ultra conservative. Leadership is fine but uninspiring. Office setup is terrible. Large open spaces of tiny workstations makes it feel like a low-end call center devoid of collaboration and privacy. It's a small company but acts like a big company with lots of bureaucracy and slow progress on everything (which may be reflective of the railroad industry). Lots of work and deliverables at the last minute signals little strategic planning.

Provide leadership training for anyone who is interested. Develop Railroad training program for employees to visit shops, yards, operations centers to help make the work less abstract. Stop avoiding eye contact with lower ranking employees as you pass them in the hall.

Jun 2, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thank you for your comments about Railinc. Railinc works hard to provide good benefits and challenging work. As you know the rail industry is very complex, filled with history and technological ... More

Low Pay but Work/Life Balance is Good

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

Pros

The people here at Railinc are really great and a lot of lasting friendships have been made. I do not dread coming to work every day because I really enjoy the people I work with. As long as you are not in the Customer Service Center your hours are fairly flexible. The railroad industry is very interesting and a unique topic to learn about. The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry.

Cons

As stated before the salary is low and when you are given a ‘raise’ it’s not going to be big, so if you start out with a low salary, get used to it because you will only be able to get about 2%. Deliverables are driven by committees and they put project work ahead of maintenance to existing systems so maintenance almost never gets done and you have to deal with the same broken applications year after year. Most Product Managers are so jaded they brush of customer requests for fixes or new products. We now a have a fat tax and a smoking tax added onto individual health insurance costs. If you have any questions about this good luck getting a response back from HR.

The declining benefits should be off set by higher compensation. I understand that you were told to get out of your corner and interact with the employees but it's a little creepy when we see you walk around the building and not say anything to anyone. With the bench seating it makes us feel like you're checking up on us. Some AVP's seem to be running around like a chicken with their head cut off, not knowing how to make a decision.

Jul 3, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your review of Railinc. The people at Railinc are indeed what makes for a good work environment. And we do serve an interesting and critical industry that helps move everything you can ... More

Good company to work if you are over 50

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, not bleeding edge but leading edge technologies

Cons

No growth, Salary is below par

Nothing unless the whole business model is changed. With the current business model that DOESN'T allow any kind of growth, keeping all the employees happy (and interested) with career opportunities is really hard.

Jun 2, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your comment. Railinc has enjoyed steady growth over the past five years, going from 180 employees to about 300 today. Our company's business model is indeed unique and certainly unlike ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Current Employee - Product Support  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC

Pros

Railinc is an Awesome place to work

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Some good people and interesting mission, but not a good team environment

Former Employee - Manager  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Cary, NC

Pros

Railinc has some well thought out technology, some really smart people who are enjoyable to work with and they try hard to create a collaborative environment.

Cons

While they put a lot of focus on meeting SLAs, they miss the forest for the trees. The politics are horrible. Top level managers are most concerned about their own personal image, rather than truly serving the customers. Everyone's primary goal is to earn the annual bonus, which they achieve by manipulating the measurements. Trust is not abundant and management does not listen to simple concerns of the analysts and programmers who are doing the heavy lifting.

You claim that you value empowerment, but that is something that is not well practiced. Focus on that value and the people who work there will show you how they already embrace the need for quality and innovation.

Was great, started getting worse, now it's been horrible for 2+ years. Stay away!!!!!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

Pros

Some people at Railinc are really giving their all. It's great that you are given flexibility to do what you need to do, but that's because no one is willing to give direction that is valid for an executive level.

Cons

If I could submit a negative overall review I would.

Bench seating that feels like a call center.

We can't hear anything while trying to work and everyone has the same complaint.

No one was consulted on the changes at all. Even the people that were try and blame someone else.

2% raise every year, no matter how hard you work, when most employees have worked 60+ hours a week.

Executive management that likes to think they're connected with their employees but we never, ever see. I don't even think our managers and senior managers see them.

A CIO that doesn't seem to do anything but cause more problems, and wins all sorts of awards somehow. He has 10+ people reporting to him so there is no way he can be effective. He has everyone else around him do the actual "work" and takes all the credit.

A president that thinks all staff are replaceable, and absolutely treats them that way, asides from his posse of executive managers who are untouchable and never held accountable.

The Developers are working like crazy but get so much turnover they can't keep up. Projects that are slipping aren't held responsible, they just manipulate a way to show them as green.

Analysts are completely overwhelmed and everything is blamed on them for not holding up the agile process, which is just waterfall but disguised as agile so they can think they're modern in practice and have some buzz words to account for no contractor wanting to come to Railinc anymore.

HR, IT and accounting are overwhelmed as well, completely. Might as well not try and get anything from them.

Just leave and replace your entire team. You guys are horrible for morale at a company that really could be great. No one respects you as people, so how can we respect you as leaders? Actually care, or stop putting on a face that you do.

No vision, no leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Pros

Good technical staff, good technology stack, work-life balance, good benefits

Cons

Executive group is out of touch. They don't communicate, they view the employees as interchangeable "resources." Real leadership comes from a few middle managers who know how to manage and understand the rail industry. This company has a lot of potential but it's being held back by the bad culture the leadership has created.

Get out of your offices and talk to people outside your own little group. Start communicating with people.

Great place to learn and work

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

Pros

Railinc is a great place to work. The rail industry is extremely interesting and challenging so you never get bored. We get to work with many different customers in the industry which keeps things fresh. Some of the best coworkers I've ever worked with are here. Most folks carry their load which makes them great to work with.

Cons

We support multiple railroads so applications are run by committees. Getting everyone to agree on scope can be difficult. You need people skills for this type of environment.

None

Great people, union pace...

Current Employee - Product Support  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC

Pros

The people are super friendly. I enjoyed the nice mix of age and ethnicity. As a recent grad, it was super helpful that they had such an open culture. Many folks were willing to talk, have lunch, bike. The pace is not at all stressful--mind you I'm a contractor.

Cons

I was really concerned with the pace. I was not impressed with how many people went in after 9am and left at 4pm. There also seems to be a pretty strict pecking order. So far I've noticed that that takes precedence over ability/effort.

Efficiency will only come if it is demanded. Model strong work ethic, push employees to develop/grow their skills (not just acceptably perform their current job function), and keep the friendly/open culture.

a 2-3 year stint.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Pros

Very good work/life balance for most of the company, but some middle and senior managers are really taken advantage of. Benefits are extraordinary with the company footing the bill for about 90% of the cost. You will not find better. PTO and holidays are better than average as well. Very supportive of continuing education especially as it relates to the rail industry.

Cons

With the exception of entry level employees, where you start is where you will most likely be for your career here. And where your salary starts is very important so negotiate. Raises are about 2%. Bonuses are awarded but very unlikely you will receive the total bonus due to calculations by the Board of Directors of the freight rail lines. Count on 80% of your bonus and consider yourself lucky. And don't forget to count in the extra 4% social security deduction.
    New work environment of 'bench seating' is extremely difficult, no privacy for thought and little for meetings. Just cramming in more machines to do the work. It is almost insulting.
    Sr. Management is seriously out of touch. You will never see the President anywhere but in his office, and his senior team is similar. They really believe their own hype. VERY old school and political.

It would be wasted as it works just how they want it to. But they are going to continue to loose good people.

Worked for Railinc? Contribute to the Community!