Railinc

Railinc Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West

E. Allen West

Steady work, moderate growth, great people

ProsThe work here is important to the rail industry. The quality of the work is on the upswing.
    Great people to work with.
    Railinc is like a mini-SAS. Flexibility is very good with strong benefits.
    Great location near greenways, parks, transportation routes.
    Lots of contests for tickets to local events.

ConsPay could be more competitive.
    Wish was more fun, sometimes the work is dry.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're headed in the right direction, but get out and engage with people more.

Jun 11, 2014

Thanks for your comments. Railinc people like you work hard to provide critical services to the freight rail industry and help railroads keep trains moving. And you're right, it doesn't always have ... More

On the downward path

ProsMost of the people in the company are great to work with, competent, and take the time to learn the industry well. Railroad Retirement is a good benefit, hours are mostly flexible and office location is good. Three weeks off is nice, with four at ten years (although older employees can get up to five weeks off)

ConsSalary balance is atrocious. Management would rather have someone leave, pay their replacement a lot more money and then waste time getting that new person up to speed than actually paying a decent wage to the original person. If you had the misfortune of starting at a low salary, they will do nothing to get you up to where you should be after you gain the skill and experience. The end-of-year "merit" increase barely covers cost-of-living/inflation.

Benefits have significantly decreased over the past few years (employee costs). Work environment has become much less productive due to the switch to bench seating. Although publicly the company supports a policy of working-from-home, in private they try to discourage it as much as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has complained recently that their attrition/turnover rate is very high. If they want that number to go down, they need to realize that this is a very competitive market and they should adjust their policies. It is very discouraging to see the direction the company has gone.

Low Pay but Work/Life Balance is Good

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe people here at Railinc are really great and a lot of lasting friendships have been made. I do not dread coming to work every day because I really enjoy the people I work with. As long as you are not in the Customer Service Center your hours are fairly flexible. The railroad industry is very interesting and a unique topic to learn about. The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry.

ConsAs stated before the salary is low and when you are given a ‘raise’ it’s not going to be big, so if you start out with a low salary, get used to it because you will only be able to get about 2%. Deliverables are driven by committees and they put project work ahead of maintenance to existing systems so maintenance almost never gets done and you have to deal with the same broken applications year after year. Most Product Managers are so jaded they brush of customer requests for fixes or new products. We now a have a fat tax and a smoking tax added onto individual health insurance costs. If you have any questions about this good luck getting a response back from HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe declining benefits should be off set by higher compensation. I understand that you were told to get out of your corner and interact with the employees but it's a little creepy when we see you walk around the building and not say anything to anyone. With the bench seating it makes us feel like you're checking up on us. Some AVP's seem to be running around like a chicken with their head cut off, not knowing how to make a decision.

Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for your review of Railinc. The people at Railinc are indeed what makes for a good work environment. And we do serve an interesting and critical industry that helps move everything you can ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid company with a lot of potential.

ProsRailinc does important work that is essential to the freight rail industry's operations, so what you do really matters. The people are friendly and easy to work with. It's a complex business, and everyone is generous with their time to help you learn the industry and the products. Railinc offers exceptional benefits, especially health insurance. The flexibility is great for employees with children. The work flow is generally predictable year to year, which helps with work/life balance. The business and the industry it supports are stable so there aren't big layoffs of employees when the economy is down. There is a pension plan and railroad retirement, so there is some incentive to stay with the company for the long haul. Railinc's employee wellness plan helps keep insurance costs low but has also helped employees get healthier and improved camaraderie through competitions and activities. Railinc also pays for a membership to O2 Fitness as long as you work out at least eight times a month.

ConsOutside of a few areas, career growth within the organization seems pretty limited. Pay is not competitive with other area technology companies. There isn't a lot of transparency around things like salary bands and company financials. The new office layout makes it challenging to work without constant distractions. There's discussion of bonus throughout the year, but not enough time is spent explaining how bonuses are actually calculated. It's a small company, but management seems a little removed from the general employee population on a daily basis and doesn't seem to do a lot to build relationships at that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementRailinc has a good thing going, but the company has the potential to be a great employer. Do more to connect with employees on a regular basis to build relationships and just get to know people. It'll help in a lot of different ways. Provide more transparency to employees in areas like salaries, company finances, and bonus calculations. Get more competitive with other technology companies in terms of pay and other perks or risk losing good people and failing to attract talented new employees.

Jun 6, 2014

Thanks for your review and your good outlook for Railinc. Our work is important in helping the rail industry operate safely and more efficiently. Management is continually reviewing pay for employees ... More

Great company, interesting work, unique industry

Analyst (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIT within the railroad industry. Railroads are much more complicated than one might think. The work I did was interesting and challenging. The industry is fascinating. Railinc deals with massive amount of data such as freight car health, car repair data, car movement events, detector data. Lot of neat stuff is being done and could be done with such data.

Benefits are phenomenally good (cost to insure my family with very low deductible, excellent coverage plan was <$150/mo) which is unheard of! If you stay 5+ years, eligible for federal railroad retirement which is similar to and in addition to social security. Work-life balance was good for me; some travel involved which I welcomed. The people are fantastic! I worked with outstanding people and will miss them.

ConsSalary is well below market. Personal growth is limited, partly because the company is so small and ultra conservative. Leadership is fine but uninspiring. Office setup is terrible. Large open spaces of tiny workstations makes it feel like a low-end call center devoid of collaboration and privacy. It's a small company but acts like a big company with lots of bureaucracy and slow progress on everything (which may be reflective of the railroad industry). Lots of work and deliverables at the last minute signals little strategic planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide leadership training for anyone who is interested. Develop Railroad training program for employees to visit shops, yards, operations centers to help make the work less abstract. Stop avoiding eye contact with lower ranking employees as you pass them in the hall.

Jun 2, 2014

Thank you for your comments about Railinc. Railinc works hard to provide good benefits and challenging work. As you know the rail industry is very complex, filled with history and technological ... More

A great place to work!!!

(Current Employee)

ProsBest benefits - management considerate of time-off during work load - work life balance - promote healthy lifestyle - work from home policy;

IT company; wonderfully positioned in the industry to provide technology solutions - java shop; substantial back-end services - firm business model - this company is set to grow - since Railinc has recognized itself as a trust worthy unbiased industry partner handling security, services and multi-tenant data

ConsI read some negative reviews about the bench seating, that spread over any type if seating. When all's said and done people it is job security and satisfaction. There are lots of pros to the bench seating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDraw railroad SME to the business team (this is a huge gap)

Highly positive and encouraging environment that helps employees grow and ensures employees are setup for success.

ProsGreat set of people; positive and encouraging environment; challenging work making it interesting always.
    Flexible work schedule that makes it great for work life balance.
    Initiatives undertaken to encourage fitness and good health in its employees.
    Encourages team work and ensures its people are given credit for successes.
    Balanced time off policies
    Training offered and employees and in some cases contractors encouraged to take.

ConsNot the most competitive pay

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's great! Upper management and execs are highly forthcoming and approachable.

What needs to change -- More opportunities to interact with executive staff needed to help employees hear first hand what their strategies and directives are that helps trickle it down in the org. Some execs seem to lack a zeal and passion in the work they do that needs to change to make a difference.

Good company to work if you are over 50

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsBenefits, paid time off, not bleeding edge but leading edge technologies

ConsNo growth, Salary is below par

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing unless the whole business model is changed. With the current business model that DOESN'T allow any kind of growth, keeping all the employees happy (and interested) with career opportunities is really hard.

Jun 2, 2014

Thanks for your comment. Railinc has enjoyed steady growth over the past five years, going from 180 employees to about 300 today. Our company's business model is indeed unique and certainly unlike ... More

Interesting Subject Matter

ProsChallenging, Agile environment that pushes you to contribute and stretch yourself. can work from home some.

ConsBench Seating makes it hard to conentrate, management actually provides noise cancelling headphones

Jun 2, 2014

Thanks for your comments. Agile is indeed one of the main pillars of our culture and enables us to create and provide value to our customers and our industry. We're sorry about the noise problems ... More

Great

Product Support (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsRailinc is an Awesome place to work

ConsI don't have any cons.

Worked for Railinc? Contribute to the Community!