Railinc Reviews

Reset
3.5
Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West
E. Allen West

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule that makes it great for work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bench seating has turned the place into one giant call center looking place (in 7 reviews)

• Real leadership comes from a few middle managers who know how to manage and understand the rail industry (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Awesome work life balance

Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Support in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Although railinc isn't the highest paying in the industry, there are other great benefits. Healthcare is top notch. Free O2 gym memberships, and onsite boot camps. Railinc also has an onsite gym and yoga classes! Lots of fun people, work from home flexibility and lots of sick/vacation. The job security is treated, owned by the Aar. Little to no chance of being laid off

Cons

Not huge promotions, hard to grow salary wise. If you work hard you will be noticed though.

Advice to Management

I personally love the executive team. You can't work many places where the entire executive team knows you by name, or works out next to you at the gym. Pretty open environment

Feb 19, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I think you hit on good points about Railinc. Our work is important here, but it's also important for you to have a good life. Lots of folks workout during the ... More

2. Very good place to work!

I have been working at Railinc

Pros

flexible timings,good management style, good work culture

Cons

seating is not very convenient

3. Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great people, great customers, fun to come to work everyday because everyone enjoys working here.

Cons

There are some very bright people that work here but the pay could be a little better to validate that statement.

5. Decent Company, Good Benefits, GREAT People!

Former Employee - Director in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Railinc for 5 years. There have been ups and down with the organization, but what company in this day and age does not have these issues? The good about Railinc is the stability and benefits. You could work at Railinc your entire career if you choose, and doing so will provide you with a nice Railroad pension. By far the people are what make this place great, building good relationships is the key to success with this organization.

Cons

Railinc could benefit by making sure that all groups are paddling the boat in the same direction. With so many products and so many irons in the fire, this is a challenge. If Railinc could accomplish this, the sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the mission, vision, and values you have set forth for the organization. Your people are your most valuable asset, make sure that everyone understands what these three values mean and how they must demonstrate them through their actions tot the company; service, collaboration, & results.

6. Fun & Flexible Environment - Self-Starters Thrive

I have been working at Railinc

Pros

A technically challenging but fun and flexible work environment make Railinc a great place to work! Very supportive management team, especially for self-starters - those willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done have climbed the ranks! Excellent training opportunities, great benefits and smart, self-motivated people make Railinc one of the best places I have ever worked!

Cons

Railinc priorities can shift quickly while supporting the needs of the industry - if you have the ability to be flexible, you will succeed!

May 20, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It's always satisfying when someone understands and identifies how they can fit in to our company culture. Thanks again for your positive comments.

Unstable, high turnover, culture of finger pointing and firing.

Former Employee - BA II
    Former Employee - BA II

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Reduced cost health insurance is offered but you must and spouse must submit to health screening. 15 days PTO. If you are entry level, then there is room for promotion if you are in 20s.

Cons

When budget restrictions are implemented, senior staff are let go and replaced by junior cheaper staff. A good annual review is not an indication that you will be retained. Very political and unpleasant for long term prospects. Older staff working customer service are not afforded the same career path as 20 somethings.Health insurance - drug coverage is very poor. High school-like click is hard to avoid.

Advice to Management

More professionalism, concentrate on the important stuff and find stability. Support you developers.

Let's be honest

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative communications director that has pumped up this site to not reflect the current state of Railinc.

Cons

Railinc can't keep good talent and doesn't care when they leave.

Advice to Management

Be genuine - right now no one trusts what is being said.

May 20, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry that you feel this way. First, you should know that no one has the ability to manipulate the reviews, scores or ratings on Glassdoor. Reviews are posted by ... More

9. Really great working experience at Railinc

I worked at Railinc full-time

Pros

Small company with family atmosphere.

Cons

Not much compensation on the business side

May 20, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your positive review! We have many great people working here and we appreciate the good work they do. Be sure to stay in touch with your manager about compensation, new positions in the ... More

10. Exceptional Work/Life Balance, Great Benefits, Collaborative Teams

I have been working at Railinc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons I love working at Railinc but at the top of my list are the people. I have never worked at a peer level with such nice people who are simply trying to add value to the industry we serve and have some fun while doing it. There is not a lot of backstabbing or crawling on top of each other to get to the next rung on the ladder. It is a very collaborative and supportive environment, people want to do a good job and are encouraged to celebrate each others success.

The next best thing working at Railinc is the unmatched work/life balance. I have worked at quite a few places in my 20+ year career and have never found a company so flexible with when and where you work and so respectful of the concept that we work to live, not the other way around. I'd imagine this experience varies greatly across the company depending on your manager, but HR put a policy in place to support this concept.

When I first interviewed, I thought the Rail industry would be boring, but it is one of the most fascinating industries I've been involved with. The types of projects we are working on and being part of improving an industry that is so important to the country is rewarding work.

Benefits and employee programs are outstanding.

Cons

Railinc is experiencing growing pains and is still in some ways, transitioning from being an all IT based company to having a business side. There is a lot of ambiguity with the roles and responsibilities that causes confusion and decisions to be made that don't always align well with strategy.

Speaking of strategy, until last year, it didn't seem like we really had one. Now we have a well formulated strategy, but it is still not connecting with employees at a role based level. Simply having managers review a PPT deck with people isn't going to bring the strategy to life and propel Railinc forward.

I would be remiss to not put the low salary levels on this list of cons. I have heard this is more on the business side and not so much on the IT side, which is even more disturbing, but from what I understand from talking to peers and knowing a lot of recruiters, a lot of positions at Railinc are at the low end of a market rate. When you add the 4.4% additional that is taken from your check to pay for the Railroad Retirement benefit that you only get if you stay for 5+ years, it is a hard pill to swallow and is most likely a reason for the high attrition.

Advice to Management

Highlight at an employee meeting where speaking up to your manager about something at Railinc that needs to improve (as is advised in a lot of responses on here to do) was heard and lead to change for the organization. It is one thing to advise people to do this and another to encourage them by showing them the executives actually do listen and act when it is in the best interest of the company to do so.

When you do the lunch with executives, sit in the middle of the table, not at the end. It might make you uncomfortable, but it makes a big difference to the people who are attending to interact with you.

Not sure how you would do this, but I read through a lot of the reviews and low salary is a common thread. I've heard our current executive team will never do anything about it and they do not care if people leave because they can make more $ someplace else. I can't imagine that is true given the complexity of the industry and the uniqueness of Railinc, the cost of replacement has to be high on many fronts ($'s and knowledge loss). At some point in time, it might be worth addressing this head on. Repeating the line that we are at market rate when most people know we are not, doesn't really work.

There are a lot of good things happening at the company that actually do make the strategy real, make the link obvious to people and show them where their role fits into the puzzle of building Railinc into a stronger industry partner.

Apr 6, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your good work at Railinc and for taking the time to write an encouraging, detailed and thoughtful review. We really appreciate your enthusiasm and energy for the company. Your comments ... More

11. Great place of work

I have been working at Railinc

Pros

Amazing culture, nice people, great flexibility

Cons

None- Just limited career opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Jan 20, 2015Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your kind words. The people here make it great! Be sure to keep an eye on open positions and talk with your manager about career paths. Our career pathing program may help you find ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed