Railinc

Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West
E. Allen West

Great place to work!

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Railinc has a wonderful work-life balance. You hear that a lot but it really does. No one is hovering over you making you punch in and out. As long as you get your work done, you are free to come and go as you please. You see people here working very early in the morning and some very late at night, all based on your preference as adults to make your own decisions regarding working hours. The benefits package here is pretty sweet as well. They have lessened over the years but that is due to rising health care costs. Every year the rates increase and Railinc absorbs the majority of the costs. The CEO shares this information with you at company meetings that take place once a month. The vacation is 3 weeks with 14 paid holidays, so that is nice as well. You also have access to the executives here, which I have never experienced before. Once hired, you meet with the CEO 1-1. You can lunch with the executive team pretty often and meet with them simply by scheduling an appointment. I have never worked anywhere that allowed that type of access. There are a lot of neat things here to make it fun, ice cream in the summers, employee recognition awards, picnics, parties, concerts and sporting events then anyone can register to win. Where I worked before only executives got tickets to anything, here it is very transparent on who receives what. They recently offered a gym membership, you have to go to the gym 4x a month and if you do, Railinc covers the cost. There is also a gym onsite. We are close to trails, volleyball and lakes. Working here is a lot of fun. The people here are the best. I think this is a great place to work and when I read the reviews it makes me sad to know that people here are unhappy. I feel like they just want to be unhappy.

Cons

One of the bad things about working here, Railinc does not pay a lot. I wish they would consider raising salaries here. If management raised the salaries I don't think anyone would ever leave here. Another, a few disgruntled people are ruining it for everyone with their bad attitudes.

Increase the salaries. We are losing good people to companies that are paying a little more. Perks are great but they do not pay the bills.

Manager assigns high risk project with unrealistic timelines and push contractor to meet deadlines

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Veify Agile focus work environment, allowing team building with all stakeholders.

Cons

Sweat shop, low pay. Management took no accountability for their errors on project(s).

Go beyond ahering to managment team concerns and ahere to non-management concerns.

Best place NOT to work!

I have been working at Railinc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a stable company with steady work but the work will put you to sleep. There are still some good people but that is quickly vanishing

Cons

This company is in desperation mode to salvage any good that is left after they've run off some great people while the CEO & CFO move this company into complete micromanagement. They are both awful. The “Best Place to Work!” sounds a lot like the Chief of Staff as she just lectured the same words to me the other day on how I’m lucky to have a job…. so are all the people that are leaving.

Clean house of the current exec team and let's get a different game plan with folks that know how to communicate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Houston, we have a problem....

I have been working at Railinc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office location is about all I can come up with. Benefits used to be top but they compare similarly to other companies although management will try to sell you differently.

Cons

There is a mass exodus out the door right now at all levels. We recently had two executives leave and one of them was the only one that actually cared about his employees. Everyone is treated as a resource that can be replaced.

Wake up! Putting the CFO that has no customer soft skills in charge of Customer Service is just one in the many dumb moves this company has made recently.

On the downward path

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Most of the people in the company are great to work with, competent, and take the time to learn the industry well. Railroad Retirement is a good benefit, hours are mostly flexible and office location is good. Three weeks off is nice, with four at ten years (although older employees can get up to five weeks off)

Cons

Salary balance is atrocious. Management would rather have someone leave, pay their replacement a lot more money and then waste time getting that new person up to speed than actually paying a decent wage to the original person. If you had the misfortune of starting at a low salary, they will do nothing to get you up to where you should be after you gain the skill and experience. The end-of-year "merit" increase barely covers cost-of-living/inflation.

Benefits have significantly decreased over the past few years (employee costs). Work environment has become much less productive due to the switch to bench seating. Although publicly the company supports a policy of working-from-home, in private they try to discourage it as much as possible.

Management has complained recently that their attrition/turnover rate is very high. If they want that number to go down, they need to realize that this is a very competitive market and they should adjust their policies. It is very discouraging to see the direction the company has gone.

Not the same place it used to be.....and getting worse by the minute

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Benefits are still competitive but not leading the market like they used to be

They still are able to attract good technology talent

Good work/life balance but this is turning more into people leaving early because they don't care

Cons

Business leadership is severally lacking from VP down to the business analysts. A few people carry the department and it's holding this company back from doing the right things.

Zero input from employees on significant changes that effect their productivity but this seems to be the CEO M.O.

CFO continually burns out resources on tasks that are low priority or on work that will never be used. He is the CEOs 'yes' man and it makes meetings with the Executive team a joke when they ask for input

It starts with the CEO and I don't think he's willing or able to change

Low Pay but Work/Life Balance is Good

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

I have been working at Railinc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people here at Railinc are really great and a lot of lasting friendships have been made. I do not dread coming to work every day because I really enjoy the people I work with. As long as you are not in the Customer Service Center your hours are fairly flexible. The railroad industry is very interesting and a unique topic to learn about. The biggest draw to this company for me is my coworkers and the rail industry.

Cons

As stated before the salary is low and when you are given a ‘raise’ it’s not going to be big, so if you start out with a low salary, get used to it because you will only be able to get about 2%. Deliverables are driven by committees and they put project work ahead of maintenance to existing systems so maintenance almost never gets done and you have to deal with the same broken applications year after year. Most Product Managers are so jaded they brush of customer requests for fixes or new products. We now a have a fat tax and a smoking tax added onto individual health insurance costs. If you have any questions about this good luck getting a response back from HR.

The declining benefits should be off set by higher compensation. I understand that you were told to get out of your corner and interact with the employees but it's a little creepy when we see you walk around the building and not say anything to anyone. With the bench seating it makes us feel like you're checking up on us. Some AVP's seem to be running around like a chicken with their head cut off, not knowing how to make a decision.

Jul 3, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your review of Railinc. The people at Railinc are indeed what makes for a good work environment. And we do serve an interesting and critical industry that helps move everything you can ... More

Steady work, moderate growth, great people

I have been working at Railinc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work here is important to the rail industry. The quality of the work is on the upswing.
    Great people to work with.
    Railinc is like a mini-SAS. Flexibility is very good with strong benefits.
    Great location near greenways, parks, transportation routes.
    Lots of contests for tickets to local events.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive.
    Wish was more fun, sometimes the work is dry.

We're headed in the right direction, but get out and engage with people more.

Jun 11, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your comments. Railinc people like you work hard to provide critical services to the freight rail industry and help railroads keep trains moving. And you're right, it doesn't always have ... More

A solid company with a lot of potential.

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Railinc does important work that is essential to the freight rail industry's operations, so what you do really matters. The people are friendly and easy to work with. It's a complex business, and everyone is generous with their time to help you learn the industry and the products. Railinc offers exceptional benefits, especially health insurance. The flexibility is great for employees with children. The work flow is generally predictable year to year, which helps with work/life balance. The business and the industry it supports are stable so there aren't big layoffs of employees when the economy is down. There is a pension plan and railroad retirement, so there is some incentive to stay with the company for the long haul. Railinc's employee wellness plan helps keep insurance costs low but has also helped employees get healthier and improved camaraderie through competitions and activities. Railinc also pays for a membership to O2 Fitness as long as you work out at least eight times a month.

Cons

Outside of a few areas, career growth within the organization seems pretty limited. Pay is not competitive with other area technology companies. There isn't a lot of transparency around things like salary bands and company financials. The new office layout makes it challenging to work without constant distractions. There's discussion of bonus throughout the year, but not enough time is spent explaining how bonuses are actually calculated. It's a small company, but management seems a little removed from the general employee population on a daily basis and doesn't seem to do a lot to build relationships at that level.

Railinc has a good thing going, but the company has the potential to be a great employer. Do more to connect with employees on a regular basis to build relationships and just get to know people. It'll help in a lot of different ways. Provide more transparency to employees in areas like salaries, company finances, and bonus calculations. Get more competitive with other technology companies in terms of pay and other perks or risk losing good people and failing to attract talented new employees.

Jun 6, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thanks for your review and your good outlook for Railinc. Our work is important in helping the rail industry operate safely and more efficiently. Management is continually reviewing pay for employees ... More

Great company, interesting work, unique industry

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time for more than a year

Pros

IT within the railroad industry. Railroads are much more complicated than one might think. The work I did was interesting and challenging. The industry is fascinating. Railinc deals with massive amount of data such as freight car health, car repair data, car movement events, detector data. Lot of neat stuff is being done and could be done with such data.

Benefits are phenomenally good (cost to insure my family with very low deductible, excellent coverage plan was <$150/mo) which is unheard of! If you stay 5+ years, eligible for federal railroad retirement which is similar to and in addition to social security. Work-life balance was good for me; some travel involved which I welcomed. The people are fantastic! I worked with outstanding people and will miss them.

Cons

Salary is well below market. Personal growth is limited, partly because the company is so small and ultra conservative. Leadership is fine but uninspiring. Office setup is terrible. Large open spaces of tiny workstations makes it feel like a low-end call center devoid of collaboration and privacy. It's a small company but acts like a big company with lots of bureaucracy and slow progress on everything (which may be reflective of the railroad industry). Lots of work and deliverables at the last minute signals little strategic planning.

Provide leadership training for anyone who is interested. Develop Railroad training program for employees to visit shops, yards, operations centers to help make the work less abstract. Stop avoiding eye contact with lower ranking employees as you pass them in the hall.

Jun 2, 2014Director of Corporate and Brand Communications

Thank you for your comments about Railinc. Railinc works hard to provide good benefits and challenging work. As you know the rail industry is very complex, filled with history and technological ... More

Worked for Railinc? Contribute to the Community!