Rain Bird

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Anthony LaFetra

124 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hostile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe people are great and highly qualified. Some are better at dealing with the garbage that goes on there. There were 2 senior leaders there when I worked there that really supported the employee and they made it a great place to work.

ConsWhen one of the two senior leaders retired then the second one passed away the place went to hell in a hand basket. You were left with senior leaders that did whatever the owner wanted so they wouldn't place their positions in jeopardy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to the tyrant

Nice pay, poor working environment

Tucson, AZ

ProsGood hard working people. Polite people even when overstressed. Nice weather, spacious parking lot, recently remodeled buildings. Modern computers and software. Decent office spaces but old furnishings. Some very good low ranking managers. Some opportunity to move up in the company but only one or two levels.

ConsVery low budgets and short deadlines. Layoffs monthly or people quit. New employees are not hired to replace those that left. Instead you are forced to do their work but don't get more pay. Every job is being outsourced or moved to Mexico. Promotions are not based on merit. Favoritism and politics get you to the top. Senior Management Staff is completely disconnected from reality. Senior Staff treat employees like numbers, not people. Most of the knowledgeable and experienced managers have left Rain Bird. Left behind are inexperienced rookies following orders given by the inept Sr staff and upper management. The rookies take the fall for the failures of upper management and are demoted, put on corrective action, fired, or forced to quit.
    Periodically employees are required to write a one page document listing reasons they should not be part of the next round of layoffs."justify your existence at rain bird".

Avoid this place unless you really need the money. You can do a lot better

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace HR, bring in a expert to teach you how to run a global company in modern times. You are stuck in the early 1980s mentality.

Old reviews are no longer relevant....

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsSolid company, great people, industry leader. Passionate about the intelligent use of water... really!
    Focus is on high quality products, customers satisfaction and providing great opportunities for growth within the company.

ConsIt would be nice if there was a cafeteria. Limited local restaurants. Too many hours are spent creating numerous excel reports. Time most would prefer spending with customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider implementing more technology.
    Tear down the wall ... get rid of the forced rankings and spend time with your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mid size company who behave like a multi-national large company

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsInteresting technology, products and colleagues

ConsManagement is just one person. The grandson of the founder and all midlevel and upper managers are absolutely scared of thin and they are all kiss ass. Every time he reads a management book, he tries to push it throughout the company. So the work atmosphere changes depending on his reading habits

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not a large company and one man does not make a management team.

Everyone is a Temporary Employee except for the Presedent.

Tucson, AZ

ProsInnovative products when new products are being funded.
    Ok benefits.
    It's a pay check.

ConsQuality issues are stifling new product development which is leaving Rain Bird behind in the industry.
    New technologies are not being incorporated into new products.
    Management dose not value their employees.
    Even employees that perform well will be eliminated because of the forced ranking system.
    The employees are scared to speak up at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lose sight of the new technologies that are being used in ALL other industries. Without the incorporation of these new technologies Rain Bird will continue to slip behind its competitors.

Great company, with great people, good management

Test Engineer (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsBoth my managers were really great. They really believed in my abilities therefore they let me do my thing and interfere only when I asked help and I loved the job which was more of engineering problem solving type job.

ConsVery difficult to get a full time job position. Most of the people work at temporary position

Bird's losing all its feathers

Tucson, AZ

Pros- Opportunity to learn and have a job
    - Contribute on different fronts
    - Cooperative floor personnel
    - Decent pay if in Tucson (would advice against relocation)

ConsWhere should I start
    - Complete circus with multiple ringmasters trying to move the company in different directions
    - Company objectives change every 6 months (or sometimes after every Strap Plan Meeting)
    - Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    - Layoffs/Resignations every quarter
    - People demoted and moved around into divisions that they have no clue about
    - Clueless managers running the divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementI have stopped giving free advice since no one wants to hear it. They would rather pay for it.

Cannot change this bird's spots.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsBrand still has credibility in retail market; however, brand losing acceptance among commercial customers.

ConsLeft RB a couple of years ago. Recently invited to return. After two rounds of conversations, it was clear that leadership is still out of touch with reality. Smart talented individuals still are seen as threats to the man at the top and his cadre of so called leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while you still have something worth buying. There is no hope for RB's leadership team

Please... Just Don't do it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsWell, at least It's a job

ConsThey will suck your soul... really

Flat corporate structure, engineering-driven, competitive

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsGood benefits and compensation.

Flexible work hours and personal time.

Opportunity to design commercial products from concept to customer.

Many very good engineers on the team.

Have read several complaints about succession planning causing problems. I've never experienced ANY pressure to release a team member because they didn't pan out as a manager. Corporate guidelines SPECIFICALLY provide recognition and advancement separate from "management" so I'd strongly resist any pressure if it came. Technical, non-mangement positions up to principal scientist are available (and really exist in the building).

Strong emphasis on quality. Willingness to sacrifice budget for schedule.

Opportunity to visit customers, understand needs and wants, design products to fit.

ConsEmployees are "ranked" against other group members which increases competition.

Communication between business areas can be difficult. Concerted effort is needed to break "silos".

Production distributed across several facilities in multiple countries can increase effort during release of new products.

Vacation benefit based on *Rain Bird service*, rather than previous job benefits. If you presently get 5 weeks of vacation, RB does not match when you join.

Worked for Rain Bird? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rain Bird reviews and ratings in Arizona — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rain Bird CEO Anthony LaFetra. All 124 reviews posted anonymously by Rain Bird employees.