Rain Bird Reviews

• Arizona
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Nice pay, poor working environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hard working people. Polite people even when overstressed. Nice weather, spacious parking lot, recently remodeled buildings. Modern computers and software. Decent office spaces but old furnishings. Some very good low ranking managers. Some opportunity to move up in the company but only one or two levels.

Cons

Very low budgets and short deadlines. Layoffs monthly or people quit. New employees are not hired to replace those that left. Instead you are forced to do their work but don't get more pay. Every job is being outsourced or moved to Mexico. Promotions are not based on merit. Favoritism and politics get you to the top. Senior Management Staff is completely disconnected from reality. Senior Staff treat employees like numbers, not people. Most of the knowledgeable and experienced managers have left Rain Bird. Left behind are inexperienced rookies following orders given by the inept Sr staff and upper management. The rookies take the fall for the failures of upper management and are demoted, put on corrective action, fired, or forced to quit. Periodically employees are required to write a one page document listing reasons they should not be part of the next round of layoffs."justify your existence at rain bird". Avoid this place unless you really need the money. You can do a lot better

Advice to Management

Replace HR, bring in a expert to teach you how to run a global company in modern times. You are stuck in the early 1980s mentality.

Mid size company who behave like a multi-national large company

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting technology, products and colleagues

Cons

Management is just one person. The grandson of the founder and all midlevel and upper managers are absolutely scared of thin and they are all kiss ass. Every time he reads a management book, he tries to push it throughout the company. So the work atmosphere changes depending on his reading habits

Advice to Management

You are not a large company and one man does not make a management team.

Everyone is a Temporary Employee except for the Presedent.

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative products when new products are being funded. Ok benefits. It's a pay check.

Cons

Quality issues are stifling new product development which is leaving Rain Bird behind in the industry. New technologies are not being incorporated into new products. Management dose not value their employees. Even employees that perform well will be eliminated because of the forced ranking system. The employees are scared to speak up at all.

Advice to Management

Do not lose sight of the new technologies that are being used in ALL other industries. Without the incorporation of these new technologies Rain Bird will continue to slip behind its competitors.

Great company, with great people, good management

Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Both my managers were really great. They really believed in my abilities therefore they let me do my thing and interfere only when I asked help and I loved the job which was more of engineering problem solving type job.

Cons

Very difficult to get a full time job position. Most of the people work at temporary position

Bird's losing all its feathers

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to learn and have a job - Contribute on different fronts - Cooperative floor personnel - Decent pay if in Tucson (would advice against relocation)

Cons

Where should I start - Complete circus with multiple ringmasters trying to move the company in different directions - Company objectives change every 6 months (or sometimes after every Strap Plan Meeting) - Too many chiefs and not enough Indians - Layoffs/Resignations every quarter - People demoted and moved around into divisions that they have no clue about - Clueless managers running the divisions

Advice to Management

I have stopped giving free advice since no one wants to hear it. They would rather pay for it.

Cannot change this bird's spots.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand still has credibility in retail market; however, brand losing acceptance among commercial customers.

Cons

Left RB a couple of years ago. Recently invited to return. After two rounds of conversations, it was clear that leadership is still out of touch with reality. Smart talented individuals still are seen as threats to the man at the top and his cadre of so called leaders.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while you still have something worth buying. There is no hope for RB's leadership team

Please... Just Don't do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, at least It's a job

Cons

They will suck your soul... really

Flat corporate structure, engineering-driven, competitive

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. Flexible work hours and personal time. Opportunity to design commercial products from concept to customer. Many very good engineers on the team. Have read several complaints about succession planning causing problems. I've never experienced ANY pressure to release a team member because they didn't pan out as a manager. Corporate guidelines SPECIFICALLY provide recognition and advancement separate from "management" so I'd strongly resist any pressure if it came. Technical, non-mangement positions up to principal scientist are available (and really exist in the building). Strong emphasis on quality. Willingness to sacrifice budget for schedule. Opportunity to visit customers, understand needs and wants, design products to fit.

Cons

Employees are "ranked" against other group members which increases competition. Communication between business areas can be difficult. Concerted effort is needed to break "silos". Production distributed across several facilities in multiple countries can increase effort during release of new products. Vacation benefit based on *Rain Bird service*, rather than previous job benefits. If you presently get 5 weeks of vacation, RB does not match when you join.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

lots of challenges and opportunities to grow

Cons

heavy workload; unhappy former employees cast a shadow

Advice to Management

address glass door

Challenging but fun!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High caliber employees (best I've ever worked with) Good compensation (salary and bonus) Good benefits (health, dental, 401K, ect) I like working for Rain Bird because I'm always challenged to find a better way to do my job. I'm never bored and have the support of my management. If you have a good idea the management team will listen and you have the opportunity to effect real change within your sphere of influence. The structure of the organization allows potential for promotions in other business units if there is no immediate position available in your business unit.

Cons

The environment is not for everyone. If you are not an intrinsically motivated individual you could find the results based environment challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees. Many good ideas come up from the people in the "trenches".

RSS Feed </> Embed