Rain Bird

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
2.0

Anthony LaFetra

Pros
  • pay is good but lots of people are laid off or fired (in 15 reviews)

• Industry leader; quality products (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management Staff is completely disconnected from reality (in 31 reviews)

• Left behind are inexperienced rookies following orders given by the inept Sr staff and upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bird's losing all its feathers

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Opportunity to learn and have a job
    - Contribute on different fronts
    - Cooperative floor personnel
    - Decent pay if in Tucson (would advice against relocation)

Cons

Where should I start
    - Complete circus with multiple ringmasters trying to move the company in different directions
    - Company objectives change every 6 months (or sometimes after every Strap Plan Meeting)
    - Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    - Layoffs/Resignations every quarter
    - People demoted and moved around into divisions that they have no clue about
    - Clueless managers running the divisions

I have stopped giving free advice since no one wants to hear it. They would rather pay for it.

Cannot change this bird's spots.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand still has credibility in retail market; however, brand losing acceptance among commercial customers.

Cons

Left RB a couple of years ago. Recently invited to return. After two rounds of conversations, it was clear that leadership is still out of touch with reality. Smart talented individuals still are seen as threats to the man at the top and his cadre of so called leaders.

Sell the company while you still have something worth buying. There is no hope for RB's leadership team

Please... Just Don't do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well, at least It's a job

Cons

They will suck your soul... really

Flat corporate structure, engineering-driven, competitive

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation.

Flexible work hours and personal time.

Opportunity to design commercial products from concept to customer.

Many very good engineers on the team.

Have read several complaints about succession planning causing problems. I've never experienced ANY pressure to release a team member because they didn't pan out as a manager. Corporate guidelines SPECIFICALLY provide recognition and advancement separate from "management" so I'd strongly resist any pressure if it came. Technical, non-mangement positions up to principal scientist are available (and really exist in the building).

Strong emphasis on quality. Willingness to sacrifice budget for schedule.

Opportunity to visit customers, understand needs and wants, design products to fit.

Cons

Employees are "ranked" against other group members which increases competition.

Communication between business areas can be difficult. Concerted effort is needed to break "silos".

Production distributed across several facilities in multiple countries can increase effort during release of new products.

Vacation benefit based on *Rain Bird service*, rather than previous job benefits. If you presently get 5 weeks of vacation, RB does not match when you join.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

lots of challenges and opportunities to grow

Cons

heavy workload; unhappy former employees cast a shadow

address glass door

Challenging but fun!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High caliber employees (best I've ever worked with)
    Good compensation (salary and bonus)
    Good benefits (health, dental, 401K, ect)
    I like working for Rain Bird because I'm always challenged to find a better way to do my job. I'm never bored and have the support of my management. If you have a good idea the management team will listen and you have the opportunity to effect real change within your sphere of influence. The structure of the organization allows potential for promotions in other business units if there is no immediate position available in your business unit.

Cons

The environment is not for everyone. If you are not an intrinsically motivated individual you could find the results based environment challenging.

Continue to listen to employees. Many good ideas come up from the people in the "trenches".

It's a grind

Former Employee - Other Corporate Services in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Other Corporate Services in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not a bad work/life balance
    The best and most talented people I have ever worked with...bar none.
    Good wages for Tucson.

Cons

-You will not retire from here. Less than 20% of all hires makes it to five years.
    -You can go from star to goat overnight, through no fault of your own.
    -Once you are on the target list, there is nothing you can do to fix it.
    -There is no career development. No one will ever give you accurate information how to succeed. Your manager will not spend any time to help you develop skills needed to become more valuable.
    -Their stated goal is to have average benefits. They fall somewhat short.
    -A word about succession planning - All senior staff members (there were 24 in 2012) are required to have one approved backup. Some are required to have two. So, conservatively, they should have about 30 people in their ranks ready to move up. As of Q1 2012, that number was 0 (ZERO). Company-wide!!! What do you think your chances are of moving up?

I doesn't matter. Sooner or later, the talented people of the world will realize that this is not where they want to spend their career. Tony will be dead by the time that happens, so he will never feel the need to change.

Troubling culture and direction

Former Employee - Key Management Role in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Key Management Role in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Products are fairly good, although clearly a lack of differentiation to competitive products. They are no better on a quality or feature set comparison. Slow to evolve products to features that are needed to expand share. The real talented, progressive leaders leave very quickly.

Cons

After many months removed from a management role, in which I always scored very high by the Rain Bird standard, I feel a need to offer my views of the organization. As a past leader for several years, I feel it is my responsibility to objectively comment on this organization.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer and post many positive comments.

I have seen many talented people put on a corrective action program, and then be told that their performance was wanting in a number of professional areas. I was shocked knowing the work ethic and the level of contribution these so called underperforming professionals contributed. They are very creative, passionate professionals who cared deeply about the job they did for Rain Bird.

Being on the "inside" I watched management at the director level and regional level review these people and trash them with virtually no information regarding their performance. They took it down to the personal level and were completely unfair. The front line managers were basically there to remove them and create ficticious issues with their performance level. Disturbing is the only way I can describe it.

The industry as a whole is well aware of the Rain Bird Corp negative culture and the "go it alone" strategy they have implemented over the years. As the business evolved to an independent national distribution model with enormous influence on buying decisions by the end users at all levels, they chose to ignore it, and not work with it to their advantage, severly impacting their market share and sales. They went from a founding, dominent manufacturer/supplier in the marketplace, to a middle of the road, follow the competition to market, strategy. Slow to react to market needs, clearly lacking creativity and as a result, adopting a follow the competition to market strategy, mimicking the creative robust feature sets of the competitive product line, which were generally introduced several years before Rain Bird copied them (and then presented them like they were new breakthrough feature sets).

After all these years in the business they continue to struggle and clearly do not understand the customer / enduser base and what motivates them to buy the products. They clearly do not understand them, while the competition understands them and has a very effective strategy with end users and distributors alike. The market share of the competitors in some areas is alarming.

The directors of the company are ineffective, lack creativity at all levels and have no clear vision to move the company forward. They are one dimensional, with a lack of overall market/business experience and leadership. They are safe as the ownership seems to be happy with their ineffective management of the business. If only the ownership knew how bad these so called company leaders are, and the devastating impact they are having on Rain Bird market share, business and sales.

Notice to ownership: Bring in agents of change at the director level, people with experience steering organizations effectively and understanding markets and what motivates customers to buy. Rid yourself of current directors and long standing sales managers, who incredibly, continue to thumb their noses at distribution. Adjust to current market realities, not what they were 35 years ago. Finally, recognize employees who deserve it, for the commitment and contribution they have made to you business. Stop firing good loyal, people for so called performance issues. Bring people in from outside of the landscape/irrigation industry. Try to repair the Rain Bird image in the marketplace, and understand that it is a pressing issue that continues to grow and get worse.

Succession Planning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They only hire the best just so they can fire the best.

Cons

There are many Cons but one of the biggest at Rain Bird is the succession planning. All managers and directors are required to have identified successors to take their place just in case. So what happens is they will hire or promote someone just to be their backup on paper only later to realize that they are not as good as they thought so they are then pushed out through corrective action. I can hear it now, "Sorry, you are not meeting the expectations required for Rain Bird management." I have seen this more times than I can remember. It's really sad for those individuals that relocate their families just to be pushed out one year later while the hiring manager is seen as getting things done by cycling out the poor performers.

Stop pretending everything with the company is ok and that the only problems are due to poor performing individuals. Maybe if you knew how to interview you wouldn't keep hiring poor performers. It's all a big charade to keep and protect upper management.

Hard to be happy here.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All of your co-workers are completely competent and skilled.
    Solid brand (except for the work environment), high quality products.
    Financially very secure and able to invest.

Cons

Being paranoid of what could go wrong and a devil's advocate for reasons not to progress are considered badges of honor.
    Everyone in the company is looking for a better opportunity, but Rain Bird pays well and similar jobs in Tucson, AZ are hard to find.

It doesn't matter. The advice will be ignored, anyway. Even managers at the highest level shut down their desires to change this company for the better, or they will be shown the door.