Rain Bird

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
2.0

Anthony LaFetra

Pros
  • pay is good but lots of people are laid off or fired (in 15 reviews)

• Industry leader; quality products (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management Staff is completely disconnected from reality (in 31 reviews)

• Left behind are inexperienced rookies following orders given by the inept Sr staff and upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

STAY AWAAAAAAAY!

Current Employee - Unimportant in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Unimportant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird

Pros

Tucson is a beautiful town
    Really great people as your peers, just great.
    Since they're always firing, they're always hiring too. You can get a paycheck for about 2 years

Cons

Management is poor. They are immature, inept, timid, deceitful and cruel towards people. It is a top-down, micro managed company. Le Fetra runs it like a prison, and his directors are the bully guards. You learn to shut up and avert your eyes or you get pulled out of line and beaten, (figuratively, of course). You have no decision making power, and no ability to influence plans. You are a clerk. RB thinks it is an entrepreneurial environment where performance determines growth. The exact 180 degree opposite is true. Directors Bergantino and Elezaby are laughing stocks, although they ruin so many people that everyone is afraid and submissive when they are around., (which really pleases them). They would not last 6 months in a real company. Sad really, pathetic losers with power. A few directors are good but most are not.

Pay is good by Tucson standards, but only so so in the national market.

If you are being recruited to RB, you are probably very very good. Confident in yourself, you will think "I will succeed here even though it sounds like a tough place." We all thought that. We are all very very good too. Reality: you will fail, but not because of anything YOU do. So, DO NOT BUY A HOUSE HERE. We all would leave if we could, but the rotten economy and our inability to sell our homes keeps us here.

Engineering is decimated, and much of the knowledge that built the company has been lost
    Sales is a high turnover area, with a few old pros who hang on, grateful they are in the field and out of sight of management
    Marketing is in constant turmoil and almost nobody has tenure over there either.
    Manufacturing is so so, very inconsistent.
    HR? Well, the good ones leave in a hurry, horrified. The rest are really just meat processors.
    Purchasing? there isn't a purchasing function!

If you think you must come here, talk to a few ex Rain Birders first. There are many of them. Try linked in

Clean house at the top. Le Fetra and most directors. There is complete failure of leadership. Sell the business. Let competent new owners make the many necessary changes you can never make yourself.

Difficult

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird

Pros

Salary, coworker, objectives, products, friends

Cons

Work environment, turnover, supervisor, layoff, lack interest to people

Be proactive

Rain Bird - Hyson - Does human resources really exist??

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nogales, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nogales, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird

Pros

High Salary
    Good co-workers
    Company cares about quality of products

Cons

HR Director does not know what HR means.
    Bad environment
    Management does not care about people
    No growth oportunities

Tony, HR does not exist at your company as you can see in all the complaints. If you really care about your company performance you should look into HR and start doing something about it.

I do not recommend this company to work for, specially in MX. Good pay at the beginning but that is it. No growth, and 0 to 2% annual increase. Do not think you will be promoted to a management position, these positions are only reserved for american people.
    There is a policy that is being used by management when they want to reduce personell. The supervisor is responsible for getting rid of the employee because Rain Bird does not pay liquidations. They prefer to make pressure over the employee to save a couple of dollars. They do not care about other countries' labor law.

Rainbird

I worked at Rain Bird

Pros

Fair salary and competitive salary
    Training
    Professional environment
    Good benefits

Cons

No career growth
    Constant replacement of managers
    Low moral

Management needs to have better communication.

What happened to the "people" working in the company. The ones that really bring the money in.

I worked at Rain Bird

Pros

It use to be a great place to work. At least in Tucson. Many of the managers cared about their employees and awards were given out regularly.

Cons

Now it is a different story. Within the same department people are treated differently. The manager walks in and says "How's my favorite inspector to one person. Greet them, joke with them and the rest of us don't even get a greeting. And they'll get the praise no matter how long the job takes them, while someone else may get a write up for going too slow.

Remember the people at the bottom. They are the ones keep the business coming in. They pack the boxes, check the quality and ship the product on time and to the right location.

Rain Bird's Management Style and Way of Treating its Employees

Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird

Pros

One of the larger employer in otherwise job sterving Tucson, AZ

Cons

Exteremely secret managemnt style with the private owener. Management changes the team routinely every two years irrespective of employee performance.

Open up! Learn trusting your employees!

BEWARE!!! HR's role is to create "happy endings" ...... Annual employee turnover of 15% to 20% is not seen as a problem

Current Employee - Marketing in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird

Pros

Great People
    High Quality Product
    Market Driven Organization
    Viewed as an Industry Leader
    Privately held company - Investing for the future in a down economy

Cons

Little chance for advancement - your weaknesses or perceived weaknesses are identified early on with little chance of recovery; hence most higher level positions are filled with individuals from outside the organization whose weaknesses have not yet been identified (a vicious cycle).
    Employees have little or no industry experience ----- even those employees who are in contact with our customers
    A bunch of YES MEN form the Senior Staff.....Even they fear for their job as much as the other employees.

WAKE-UP.... We are living off of Rain Bird's legacy and not building the business on it's own merit. We need to replace most of the current Senior Management team (AKA YES Men) with true LEADERS who can improve the morale of the organization before a real solid competitor comes in and knocks the BIRD off its perch.

Two to four year opportunity

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird

Pros

Rain Bird hires the best.
    High turn over allows better than normal networking

Cons

Little to no communication regarding company direction.
    Strategic direction appears to change significantly from year to year
    General lack of trust from Management

Create a three to five year strategic direction, minimize any changes and communicate it to the entire company so that everyone can understand how thier efforts support the plan.

It pays the bills, but that's about it!

I worked at Rain Bird

Pros

Pay is very good for the Tucson market, and benefits are decent. Rain Bird makes a quality product and has the potential to be a truly great company.

Cons

Where do I start?
    1. No advancement opportunities.
    2. No employee recognition or appreciation, period. Please, don't pretend to actually care about us! What kind of company doesn't even have a holiday party?
    3. Constant turnover, especially in areas such as sales and product management positions.
    4. Lots of effort and money put into recruiting OVERQUALIFIED PEOPLE (your co-workers will have advanced degrees from top universities and great job experience) but NO effort made to retain anyone. Everyone is expendable!
    5. Constant "layoffs" are used to get rid of people who make too much money. A blind eye is turned to the fact that they are the ones with the product knowledge and experience the company needs.
    6. Many job functions moving to Mexico. As soon as they do, they turn to crap.
    7. No job security at all (see numbers 4 - 6 above!)
    8. Lack of communication within the company leads to no one having any direction or idea where the company is going.
    9. No leadership from management or directors.
    10. No effort is made to value the homeowner (who uses the product) or the distributor/contractor (who is out there selling the product!)
    11. Forced ranking makes the environment ridiculously cutthroat. You will be ranked against people who have jobs that are completely different from yours. I was ranked against people in Mexico who I had never even met. And watch out if you are on the bottom! Also, forced rankings make it hard to work as a "team".

Sell the company to someone who is actually competent to run it. Value your stakeholders! If you have no one working for you and buying your product, how do you make money?

Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird

Pros

Rain Bird has great name recognition in the industry and has very good product quality. There are a lot of very talented people at Rain Bird.

Cons

There is very little information shared with the employees at Rain Bird. The company also has very high turnover in many areas.

Rain Bird should share more information between employees and groups. Rain Bird should also focus on making less arbitrary decisions when firing employees.