Rain Bird

www.rainbird.com

Rain Bird Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Anthony LaFetra

Pros
  • The pay is good but they expect a LOT in return(in 13 reviews)

• Rain Bird makes a quality product and has the potential to be a truly great company(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management Staff is completely disconnected from reality(in 31 reviews)

• Left behind are inexperienced rookies following orders given by the inept Sr staff and upper management(in 14 reviews)

Hard to be happy here.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsAll of your co-workers are completely competent and skilled.
    Solid brand (except for the work environment), high quality products.
    Financially very secure and able to invest.

ConsBeing paranoid of what could go wrong and a devil's advocate for reasons not to progress are considered badges of honor.
    Everyone in the company is looking for a better opportunity, but Rain Bird pays well and similar jobs in Tucson, AZ are hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter. The advice will be ignored, anyway. Even managers at the highest level shut down their desires to change this company for the better, or they will be shown the door.

Good, if you have the right personality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsRain Bird pays well. They also have good benefits. They emphasize continuous improvement, although provide little training. Advancement is possible.

ConsRain Bird likes to hire career driven people who thrive in competition. This creates an atmosphere of extreme competition. Everyone tries to manage those around them. No one actually does much work. Every day at work felt like being a contestant on “Survivor.” If you thrive in a cut-throat, competitive environment and you are good at what you do, you will like Rain Bird.
    A lot of jobs are being sent to Mexico (Engineering, Human Resources, Accounting …)

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of “transitioning out” people in the bottom 20% performance level, give them realistic training goals and provide them with resources. to achieve their goals.

Thinking about working for Big Tony and his crew? Fuggedaboutit!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThey offered me a job when I needed one (they are always hiring).

The salary for Arizona standards is good.

They pay for relocation and 30 days of temporary housing.

ConsPretty much everything else.

If you have ever heard the old tale of the scorpion and the frog, where the scorpion stings the frog carrying him across the river and they both drown. Then you will understand everything you need to know about Rain Bird. When the frog asks the scorpion why he stung him, the scorpion replies, "It;s my nature." That in a nutshell is Rain Bird. They are all kind and sweet when they recruit you (we only hire the best and the brightest), however once you are there you begin to see the true nature of the firm and its senior managers.

When you wonder why it takes forever to get simple products to market (years instead of months), when you see your director obsessing over punctuation (stage gate process), when your coworkers through you under the bus (monthly team meetings), when you have to use your own personal credit card for everything (you give them a free loan) when you are unable to get a complete bill of material for your product, when your peers are evasive regarding the product line history, when contracts can only be seen by the senior managers, when your buddy ends up on corrective action, etc., etc., etc., just remember, "It's their nature".

I remember being assigned a cubicle in Tucson. The previous occupant, a former product manger in another division had left all kinds of personal items in the desk (checkbooks, receipts, credit card statements, etc.). At the time I wondered why they would leave their personal belongs behind? Later I realized they must have either quit or been fired/escorted out of the building in a hurry. That got me thinking and I started tracking turnover based on the list of field sales people. Within 12 months about 40% of the field sales had turned over.

It all starts going downhill day one. When I asked to see my predecessors files (the job had been vacant for nine months) it took them a week to find them for me. You would think that something necessary to do your job would have been available at the beginning, but that would make too much sense. I think the Sr. Product Manager new he had to mark someone down and was setting me up for failure from day one.

If you choose to work at Rain Bird (which I would really advise you not to), remember not take the abusive nature of the place personally (which you will). They treat everybody like crap, which is why turnover is so high. Their HR system is a joke (the head of HR was an accountant) designed to drive turnover.

For me the turning point came while standing in a muddy poop covered field, looking into a filthy cobweb infested controller filled with dead bugs and mouse droppings that I realized, "This is no way to make a living and their are better ways of providing for my family."

Rain Bird may tell you that Glassdoor is full of bitter ex-employees, and there is some truth to that. Rain Bird leaves the bitter taste of vomit in your mouth. The place is like a large pus-filled boil that eventually you have to either learn to live with or lance with a sharp needle sanitized in fire in order to get out the bloody core. It can be painful and uncomfortable at the time but in truth it is the only way to deal with the infection and move on with the process of healing.

In hindsight knowing what I know now would I do it again? I took the job because I needed the paycheck to feed my family. However, my two best days at Rain Bird? The day I got my first paycheck and the day I resigned and walked out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You won't change, because like the Scorpion, "It's your nature."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unnecessarily stressful work environment

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExceptional people for the most part. Leading manufacturer of irrigation equipment so the opportunities to learn are fantastic.

ConsWork environment is the worst I have ever experienced. The sad part is it does not have to be. Most employees are exceptional in what they do and left alone could be extremely productive. Management sees things differently however and seems to believe they must force productivity through intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off. You presumably hire high quality people for a reason. Respect their opinions, give them the opportunity to try things - even if they fail occasionally.

Stop being so secretive. When high-level decisions are made about the direction the company is going, communicate it to the employees to get their buy-in. Things will run more smoothly if everyone is working together.

Abandon the incentive-type bonus structure and replace it with a profit-sharing plan. The organization is not structured properly to create sensible year-long incentive plans so that sort of bonus simply frustrates employees and results in unnecessary interdepartmental conflict. A profit-sharing plan will encourage everyone to work toward the common goal of increasing profit.

Dont plan on staying long

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe only pro is that they pay better than the competition. They have the best products on the market and the best people at the sales and product management level

ConsThey have to pay better, because it is such a poor working environment.
    Benefits are terrible
    upper management is focused on wrong things.
    no feeling of support for employees
    High turnover of product managers, Engineers and sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your management style to the new century. If you continue to do what you have always done the 60% turnover rate is never going to change.

Avoid the frustration, stay away, terrible culture.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood products. Good associates at RB. You will develop a "We are all in this together" approach with your peers; conversations will be about moving on and how the job search is progressing. You will develop a great network of friends as Rain Bird hires and fires randomly. Many move on to more fulfilling jobs. Your contacts and friends from your time at Rain Bird will prove invaluable in the future.

ConsListless company with no vision/message from ownership. Management struggles to deal with owner as they try to implement strategy. Culture is a disaster, management by fear carries the day. Office is depressing with everyone fearful of a pink slip.

The market looks at Rain Bird as a company that can't seem to get it's act together with sales people, product managers, and engineers coming and going each year. Independent distribution is tired of the endless parade of new sales people who last less than two years in the position, and have no industry experience, while the competition has a sales force that has a staff of reps that on average have been with them for more than a decade.

The Rain Bird strategy over the last few years has been to lower pricing of key product catagories in an effort to drive the competiton out of the business. The result has been shrinking margins for the distributors and less profitabilty for every one.

Corrective action review process at Rain Bird is a total disaster with indescriminate choosing of people who do not "measure up". Once chosen by the directors to be placed on "corrective action" , middle managers will create issues with their reports which have very little to do with reality or the contributions the individual makes to advance sales. As a result, it leaves you with little respect for them. They are a weak lot generally, selling out their direct reports on the direction of incompetent directors. They are biding their time, padding their resumes hoping to leave soon. The good managers/leaders who really care about their employees leave quickly as they will not be a part of the disfunctional negative system and culture. If they stay and try to support their targeted employees, they too find themselves on corrective action.

Company alienates independent distribution network, always promoting their strategy to "go direct to end user" while competitors reap the benefits of partnering with distributors and getting the most out of them to advance their sales. As a result the competition has an incredible advantage in the marketplace. Distribution recommending competitive products over Rain Bird goods is common throughout the domestic market at most distributor branch locations .

As others have written before me, do your research, contact past and present employees. Contact distribution and you will find that it is a troubled organization confirming the consistant negative reviews this company receives on Glass Door.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice for management as they are a hopeless bunch at Rain Bird. Many are looking for other opportunities outside of the organization, and are merely trying to navigate through the disfunctional system until they find other employment. To those core employees at the director and management level who manage to thrive and survive, they know how bad the culture is and are just going along for the ride.

Do NOT even consider working here !

Purchasing (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsTucson, az area employer, tucson is a nice place to live and raise a family.

Salary above average

Working for Rain Bird turns this nice city into a CAUSTIC situation.

ConsNO respect for the individual
    Obusive personnel practices
    Hiring practices and promises very unehtical
    Overall working environment creates a leve of distrust at all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange before it is too late

Wish i would have seen this site before joining...

Associate Product Manager (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsIt is a great product and your fellow employees are usually of a very good caliber. It makes you feel good to work wiht quality people that "get it"

ConsAt this point you've probably read all the posts on here that are negative. I'll share that I was actually an employees much longer ago that indicated on here, but was compelled to post after stumbling on the site. Even after nearly 10 years of being going I find may of the negative comments resonating with my whatI experienced. Lack of trust.. It is truly McGregor's "theory X" management style at work, from an academic standpoint it is very interesting to see - at least I had never see it in this pure of form before!

As marketing, you have a GREAT product to work with. However, don't expect to get creative with it, and don't expect to take their great market recognition and presence and run with it.

They are entrenched in what they have always done, and unfortunately that continues today. While the insults i've seen thrown at the very top management may be inapprpriate, they not completely un-credible. RB is a comapny that has been very successful, but it is now time to go from a family-run styles of business and get a professional mangement team in place.

The comapany, product and people have an incredible amount of potential. it's time to unleash that potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementGuys, for 10 years or more it has been time for Tony to step aside, and do it without shame. Take pride in what has been accomplished - the company has been incredibly successful, but it can be so much more so with the right team in place.

Unbelievably HORRIBLE Place - but you really should believe the insights on glassdoor.com before you opt to work here!

(Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsTucson is a great place to live, but unfortunately not many alternative, reasonably well-paying jobs (Once you get here and fall in love with the community, it's tough to stay due to lack of professional opportunities...)

Competent, albeit generally scared co-workers who see that everyone is in the same dire straits at the prison-like Rain Bird facility, and thus always looking for a job "on the outside"

Air conditioned building (important in 100+ degree heat!) and free, but uncovered parking.

ConsIncredibly twisted, demented and unhealthy culture - Senior Management is not only disinterested in having a decent quality of life for themselves and their own families, but they feel compelled to make their employees equally (or more) miserable - such a sad, sad environment...

Although the >40% annual turnover is tough to believe, it aligns well with corporate philosophy of squeezing as much as possible out of new employees and then simply kicking them to the curb once they're broken down and defeated, and often after they have left behind fairly decent situations in other parts of the country.

Rampant paranoia is evident from the very top and throughout SBU leadership - I've never seen a place that not only hates its channel partners (i.e., distributors) but has obvious disgust for its employees, the very people who are simply trying to help the company succeed, or at least survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegrettably there is nothing that can be said that would break through - the paranoid, power freaks in control are just not able to listen to reason. Only the inevitable implosion of the company and subsequent sale of assets by a bankruptcy court will enable the brand to last much more than 10 more years...

This may be the worst place to work anywhere.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThey pay well, Tucson is a very nice place to live especially if you have a family. Nothing else is good about this company.

ConsThis company works harder at figuring reasons to not get things done. There are more meetings about having meeting than any place I have ever been. There is a written policy to act quickly - "The 24 hour rule!" What a joke! Try to do something here on your own and see how fast you get fired. The culture is horrible, the equipment is 20 years old, the computer monitors are 17" CRTs! Senior management is too old and out of touch with the rest of the business world. Anyone who has been at the company for more than a few years is a complete Yes Man Drone. Stay away if you can at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and let real leadership do the job.

Worked for Rain Bird? Contribute to the Community!