Rain Bird
www.rainbird.com Azusa, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Rain Bird Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Anthony LaFetra

Pros:
  • "Rain Bird makes a quality product and has the potential to be a truly great company"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The best and most talented people I have ever worked with"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Having to work for a senior management staff that, as a whole, appears reminiscent of the"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Several upper management individuals who are terrible leaders who no one respects seem to be safe"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rainbird

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsFair salary and competitive salary
Training
Professional environment
Good benefits

ConsNo career growth
Constant replacement of managers
Low moral

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have better communication.

What happened to the "people" working in the company. The ones that really bring the money in.

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsIt use to be a great place to work. At least in Tucson. Many of the managers cared about their employees and awards were given out regularly.

ConsNow it is a different story. Within the same department people are treated differently. The manager walks in and says "How's my favorite inspector to one person. Greet them, joke with them and the rest of us don't even get a greeting. And they'll get the praise no matter how long the job takes them, while someone else may get a write up for going too slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the people at the bottom. They are the ones keep the business coming in. They pack the boxes, check the quality and ship the product on time and to the right location.

Rain Bird's Management Style and Way of Treating its Employees

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsOne of the larger employer in otherwise job sterving Tucson, AZ

ConsExteremely secret managemnt style with the private owener. Management changes the team routinely every two years irrespective of employee performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up! Learn trusting your employees!

BEWARE!!! HR's role is to create "happy endings" ...... Annual employee turnover of 15% to 20% is not seen as a problem

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsGreat People
High Quality Product
Market Driven Organization
Viewed as an Industry Leader
Privately held company - Investing for the future in a down economy

ConsLittle chance for advancement - your weaknesses or perceived weaknesses are identified early on with little chance of recovery; hence most higher level positions are filled with individuals from outside the organization whose weaknesses have not yet been identified (a vicious cycle).
Employees have little or no industry experience ----- even those employees who are in contact with our customers
A bunch of YES MEN form the Senior Staff.....Even they fear for their job as much as the other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE-UP.... We are living off of Rain Bird's legacy and not building the business on it's own merit. We need to replace most of the current Senior Management team (AKA YES Men) with true LEADERS who can improve the morale of the organization before a real solid competitor comes in and knocks the BIRD off its perch.

Rain Bird is a great stepping stone

Azusa, CA

I have been working at Rain Bird

ProsThe people are great, the pay is ok,. They help you with school and have really good benefits.

ConsManagement is management, and the lower level employees are often left out of decision making. It's bad for morale. They need to involve everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to look at more than the bottom line. You have good people, working very hard. Their expectations are high and unrealistic given the reductions in staff. Something has to give.

Two to four year opportunity

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsRain Bird hires the best.
High turn over allows better than normal networking

ConsLittle to no communication regarding company direction.
Strategic direction appears to change significantly from year to year
General lack of trust from Management

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a three to five year strategic direction, minimize any changes and communicate it to the entire company so that everyone can understand how thier efforts support the plan.

It pays the bills, but that's about it!

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsPay is very good for the Tucson market, and benefits are decent. Rain Bird makes a quality product and has the potential to be a truly great company.

ConsWhere do I start?
1. No advancement opportunities.
2. No employee recognition or appreciation, period. Please, don't pretend to actually care about us! What kind of company doesn't even have a holiday party?
3. Constant turnover, especially in areas such as sales and product management positions.
4. Lots of effort and money put into recruiting OVERQUALIFIED PEOPLE (your co-workers will have advanced degrees from top universities and great job experience) but NO effort made to retain anyone. Everyone is expendable!
5. Constant "layoffs" are used to get rid of people who make too much money. A blind eye is turned to the fact that they are the ones with the product knowledge and experience the company needs.
6. Many job functions moving to Mexico. As soon as they do, they turn to crap.
7. No job security at all (see numbers 4 - 6 above!)
8. Lack of communication within the company leads to no one having any direction or idea where the company is going.
9. No leadership from management or directors.
10. No effort is made to value the homeowner (who uses the product) or the distributor/contractor (who is out there selling the product!)
11. Forced ranking makes the environment ridiculously cutthroat. You will be ranked against people who have jobs that are completely different from yours. I was ranked against people in Mexico who I had never even met. And watch out if you are on the bottom! Also, forced rankings make it hard to work as a "team".

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to someone who is actually competent to run it. Value your stakeholders! If you have no one working for you and buying your product, how do you make money?

Review

I have been working at Rain Bird

ProsRain Bird has great name recognition in the industry and has very good product quality. There are a lot of very talented people at Rain Bird.

ConsThere is very little information shared with the employees at Rain Bird. The company also has very high turnover in many areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementRain Bird should share more information between employees and groups. Rain Bird should also focus on making less arbitrary decisions when firing employees.

Okay

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsDecent pay, robust processes, commitment to quality, commitment to growth, stable business in tough economy, appears to be economically sound with conservative decisions regarding spending.

ConsMore secretive than the CIA. Information is tough to come by, revolving door for many positions, aggressive ranking system that fosters distrust.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe should realize the way they operate, it will make them warped in their thinking and make them @#$ kissers the rest of their lives.

Great people work at Rain Bird

Azusa, CA

I worked at Rain Bird

ProsThere are lots of great people that work for Rain Bird. It is a company that has a good reputation.

ConsThere are cutbacks taking place all of the time. Rain Bird is hiring plenty of managers but keeps cutting back on the staff that supports them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who the people are that support you. If you keep cutting back you might be doing their job one day.

Worked for Rain Bird? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rain Bird reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rain Bird CEO Anthony LaFetra. All 227 reviews posted anonymously by Rain Bird employees.