Rain Bird
www.rainbird.com Azusa, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Rain Bird Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Anthony LaFetra

Pros:
  • "Rain Bird makes a quality product and has the potential to be a truly great company"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The best and most talented people I have ever worked with"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Having to work for a senior management staff that, as a whole, appears reminiscent of the"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Several upper management individuals who are terrible leaders who no one respects seem to be safe"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place

Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time for more than a year

ProsI can do my job without any disruption

ConsA lot of work, very few people and they keep cutting the budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more interns/students and people with little experience to help with the work load. Stop cutting the budget!

Current Employee

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPays well if you contribute- for a while
Generally bright people hired in management
Not a bad job- at first...
Massive emphasis on security- if you view it that way

ConsThis is an unfortunate culture. I have watched things over the years go from decent to poor in terms of morale. Poorly conceived and mismanaged stratification system. Shhh! Don't talk about it! It might not be legal?! Stratification is applied to small groups to the detriment of the company. HORRIBLE HR. I cannot emphasize that enough. What's left of them is a disgrace to the profession. Director structure leads to the worst leadership I've heard of for a company of this size.

Upper Mgt Culture: Secretive. Paranoid. Distrustful. Misleading. Don't kiss ass but don't disagree. A smiley face is painted on to lure you in. It's sad because so many good people come in, work hard and are ignored and not valued. Out goes the knowledge. The departures are taboo to discuss and a reflection of the SOB who dared to leave.

Catch 22's abound. Heads Rain Bird wins, tails you lose. Definite "your satisfaction means you are being underworked" culture. So counter productive. I think the heart/ humanity went out with Art VanLudwig. Strange obsession with temp use, whether it is appropriate or not. Temp good. Employee evil. Except third world employees. Read the other reviews carefully. It's a shame, really.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to go public or sell out. Before you wreck what remains.

Worst senior management team possible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rain Bird full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe compensations is better than average

ConsEverything else - management, secrecy, paranoia, forced ranking

Expect to work long hours under a hostile environment

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent pay with subpar benefits. You work with talented people until they are gone.

ConsOutdated forced ranking puts good people on corrective action process, even if they don't deserve it. This system does not foster team work. You are under gestapo scrutiny all the time and there is a lot of hostility. HR is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no real management as they just follow orders coming from the owner, who is becoming more paranoid every day.

Metal Detectors in corporate headquarters lobby for an irrigation products manufacturer ?

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWill meet some good friends to stay in touch with.

ConsMetal detectors in lobby? It all makes sense once you have worked for the organization. Every one is suspect. Everyone is concerned about losing their job. Performance does not matter for 95% of the employees. At some point you will be put on corrective action, then dismissed from the company, no matter how long you have worked for the company.
Seems like owner's (second generation) attitude is that everyone is stealing from him. He does not care about his employees or the culture, it is horrendous, the worst I have seen. Several upper management individuals who are terrible leaders who no one respects seem to be safe. One leader was arrested on premises for the worse kind of offense and is still there.
It is a lifeless, joyless place to work. Find a company with a positive culture that thrives on its peoples success, and celebrates it. The competition is crushing them in most product catagories with dominant market share. Rain Bird is not the place. Do your homework here, and look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement just carrying out the vision of a very negative owner. After all these years it would be so refreshing to see the poor management leaders put on corrective action and sent packing.

Absolute worst company culture ever... is it still 1974?

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Rain Bird full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork with quality people and Good product.

ConsManagement is forced to have at least 10% of their team on Performance Improvement at all times. It is the Cover Your Arse mentality on steroids as management and employees spend more time finding ways to protect their jobs then actually doing their job. Minimal training, no-long term vision, and no investment in employees. It is survival mode at it's worst. Imagine working in a culture where you know that you will be asked to leave at some point. Could be 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade, etc... How much is anyone going to vest in the success of a company when the company will not vest in the success of their employees.... Add a monkey and a bag of popcorn and Rain Bird is the perfect example of a dysfunctional circus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to toss the "Peter Principle" theory from 1969 - Update your thought process to at least 2010 and invest time, energy, and trust in your troops.

Engineering Manager

I have been working at Rain Bird

ProsPay and the people you work with.

ConsNo out look for the future of the products or employees, the management process is set in the 60's and 70's.

Mid size company who behave like a multi-national large company

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting technology, products and colleagues

ConsManagement is just one person. The grandson of the founder and all midlevel and upper managers are absolutely scared of thin and they are all kiss ass. Every time he reads a management book, he tries to push it throughout the company. So the work atmosphere changes depending on his reading habits

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not a large company and one man does not make a management team.

Length of service too small to comment.

Senior Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Rain Bird full-time for more than a year

ProsInternational company, possible upward mobility

ConsCompany was constrictive in budget related to sales and marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe concise about job parameters and expectations

Everyone is a Temporary Employee except for the Presedent.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInnovative products when new products are being funded.
Ok benefits.
It's a pay check.

ConsQuality issues are stifling new product development which is leaving Rain Bird behind in the industry.
New technologies are not being incorporated into new products.
Management dose not value their employees.
Even employees that perform well will be eliminated because of the forced ranking system.
The employees are scared to speak up at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lose sight of the new technologies that are being used in ALL other industries. Without the incorporation of these new technologies Rain Bird will continue to slip behind its competitors.

Worked for Rain Bird? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rain Bird reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rain Bird CEO Anthony LaFetra. All 227 reviews posted anonymously by Rain Bird employees.