Rain Bird Reviews

Please... Just Don't do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, at least It's a job

Cons

They will suck your soul... really

Good and Bad

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focused on growth, willing to try new approaches, performance based, opportunities are frequent if you are willing to move

Cons

Political, male dominated, lacking in technology

Advice to Management

Hire more females, invest in technology to improve operational performance

Flat corporate structure, engineering-driven, competitive

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. Flexible work hours and personal time. Opportunity to design commercial products from concept to customer. Many very good engineers on the team. Have read several complaints about succession planning causing problems. I've never experienced ANY pressure to release a team member because they didn't pan out as a manager. Corporate guidelines SPECIFICALLY provide recognition and advancement separate from "management" so I'd strongly resist any pressure if it came. Technical, non-mangement positions up to principal scientist are available (and really exist in the building). Strong emphasis on quality. Willingness to sacrifice budget for schedule. Opportunity to visit customers, understand needs and wants, design products to fit.

Cons

Employees are "ranked" against other group members which increases competition. Communication between business areas can be difficult. Concerted effort is needed to break "silos". Production distributed across several facilities in multiple countries can increase effort during release of new products. Vacation benefit based on *Rain Bird service*, rather than previous job benefits. If you presently get 5 weeks of vacation, RB does not match when you join.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

lots of challenges and opportunities to grow

Cons

heavy workload; unhappy former employees cast a shadow

Advice to Management

address glass door

Challenging but fun!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High caliber employees (best I've ever worked with) Good compensation (salary and bonus) Good benefits (health, dental, 401K, ect) I like working for Rain Bird because I'm always challenged to find a better way to do my job. I'm never bored and have the support of my management. If you have a good idea the management team will listen and you have the opportunity to effect real change within your sphere of influence. The structure of the organization allows potential for promotions in other business units if there is no immediate position available in your business unit.

Cons

The environment is not for everyone. If you are not an intrinsically motivated individual you could find the results based environment challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees. Many good ideas come up from the people in the "trenches".

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmmm not much to mention.

Cons

Management is very secretive, like a fraternity

Cesspool of Leadership

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Makes you appreciate your next job.

Cons

Does not help your career. Common lie to suggest people who leave go on to better jobs for having worked at Rain Bird. People leave and get better jobs because they are good caliber people other companies recognize and genuinely value. Simple question, if Rain Bird is such a great business environment, and the talent acquisition process so thorough, why does turnover remain so high? Simple answer, deceitful managers and senior leadership prostituting the value of the company for personal agendas and self preservation.

Advice to Management

Quit capitalizing the "M" in Management. It's insulting to true professionals everywhere.

Good, Bad, and Ugly... real ugly.

Current Employee - Commercial Sales/Marketing
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales/Marketing

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product, significant $ spent on engineering, entrepreneurial, market leader, tend to be some quality people spread throughout organization.

Cons

>BENEFITS: Subpar. As a private company a significant amount of costs are passed on to employees. Make sure to factor in when negotiating salary. >TURN OVER: Archaic forced ranking system where 10% of each group must be replaced annually. Problem is that even performers will end up on "Performance Improvement" due to the CYA mentality. This also results in lack of commitment from employees as they are always looking to protect themselves from getting fired. Spend the majority of my time training new hires and getting them up to speed. >TRAINING: No real training. You are on your own to learn your duties. Plus everyone is worried about getting fired so there is minimal team work and it seems that peers want you to fail to ensure they don't loose their jobs. >MANAGEMENT: Managers are so worried about losing their jobs they do not do their jobs. I have been asked to put together programs that are not needed BUT my manager is trying to cover his arse even if lowers the companies profit. Imagine what the owner would say if he knew that we have been instructed to give away 15% of his profits to maintain the right internal perception. >FORCED RANKING: All employees are forced ranked based on perception not actual results. This creates a culture of people focussing on saving their jobs versus being productive. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is the culture.

Advice to Management

Hire within industry and work to keep employees. The most successful companies seem to be those that have tenured employees. Times have changed and employees want to be valued not seen as a commodity.

It's a grind

Former Employee - Other Corporate Services in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Other Corporate Services in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not a bad work/life balance The best and most talented people I have ever worked with...bar none. Good wages for Tucson.

Cons

-You will not retire from here. Less than 20% of all hires makes it to five years. -You can go from star to goat overnight, through no fault of your own. -Once you are on the target list, there is nothing you can do to fix it. -There is no career development. No one will ever give you accurate information how to succeed. Your manager will not spend any time to help you develop skills needed to become more valuable. -Their stated goal is to have average benefits. They fall somewhat short. -A word about succession planning - All senior staff members (there were 24 in 2012) are required to have one approved backup. Some are required to have two. So, conservatively, they should have about 30 people in their ranks ready to move up. As of Q1 2012, that number was 0 (ZERO). Company-wide!!! What do you think your chances are of moving up?

Advice to Management

I doesn't matter. Sooner or later, the talented people of the world will realize that this is not where they want to spend their career. Tony will be dead by the time that happens, so he will never feel the need to change.

Troubling culture and direction

Former Employee - Key Management Role in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Key Management Role in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Products are fairly good, although clearly a lack of differentiation to competitive products. They are no better on a quality or feature set comparison. Slow to evolve products to features that are needed to expand share. The real talented, progressive leaders leave very quickly.

Cons

After many months removed from a management role, in which I always scored very high by the Rain Bird standard, I feel a need to offer my views of the organization. As a past leader for several years, I feel it is my responsibility to objectively comment on this organization. Unfortunately, I cannot offer and post many positive comments. I have seen many talented people put on a corrective action program, and then be told that their performance was wanting in a number of professional areas. I was shocked knowing the work ethic and the level of contribution these so called underperforming professionals contributed. They are very creative, passionate professionals who cared deeply about the job they did for Rain Bird. Being on the "inside" I watched management at the director level and regional level review these people and trash them with virtually no information regarding their performance. They took it down to the personal level and were completely unfair. The front line managers were basically there to remove them and create ficticious issues with their performance level. Disturbing is the only way I can describe it. The industry as a whole is well aware of the Rain Bird Corp negative culture and the "go it alone" strategy they have implemented over the years. As the business evolved to an independent national distribution model with enormous influence on buying decisions by the end users at all levels, they chose to ignore it, and not work with it to their advantage, severly impacting their market share and sales. They went from a founding, dominent manufacturer/supplier in the marketplace, to a middle of the road, follow the competition to market, strategy. Slow to react to market needs, clearly lacking creativity and as a result, adopting a follow the competition to market strategy, mimicking the creative robust feature sets of the competitive product line, which were generally introduced several years before Rain Bird copied them (and then presented them like they were new breakthrough feature sets). After all these years in the business they continue to struggle and clearly do not understand the customer / enduser base and what motivates them to buy the products. They clearly do not understand them, while the competition understands them and has a very effective strategy with end users and distributors alike. The market share of the competitors in some areas is alarming. The directors of the company are ineffective, lack creativity at all levels and have no clear vision to move the company forward. They are one dimensional, with a lack of overall market/business experience and leadership. They are safe as the ownership seems to be happy with their ineffective management of the business. If only the ownership knew how bad these so called company leaders are, and the devastating impact they are having on Rain Bird market share, business and sales.

Advice to Management

Notice to ownership: Bring in agents of change at the director level, people with experience steering organizations effectively and understanding markets and what motivates customers to buy. Rid yourself of current directors and long standing sales managers, who incredibly, continue to thumb their noses at distribution. Adjust to current market realities, not what they were 35 years ago. Finally, recognize employees who deserve it, for the commitment and contribution they have made to you business. Stop firing good loyal, people for so called performance issues. Bring people in from outside of the landscape/irrigation industry. Try to repair the Rain Bird image in the marketplace, and understand that it is a pressing issue that continues to grow and get worse.

RSS Feed </> Embed