Rain For Rent

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.5

John W. Lake

Very challenging and rewarding with the opportunity to make a great well deserved income

Current Employee - Sales Engineer, Industrial
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer, Industrial

I have been working at Rain For Rent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to make you're own schedule; the opportunity to learn is endless. Company offers great bonus compensation, 401K, vehicle allowance and good base salary

Cons

Sales is heavily dependent upon operation and admin to do their jobs well. When they perform sub-standard is reflects badly on the sales rep; which adversely affects credibility, trust and the opportunity for future work

Support and guide your sales people, they drive the revenue. If you support your sales person, they will have no choice but to succeed and revenue will take care of itself.

Great company! Come join the team!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Rain For Rent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rain for Rent is a great company, I admittedly was a little concerned based on the reviews here. In my experience I have been more than satisfied with national, regional, and branch level management! I feel completely at home here and highly recommend a career at Rain for Rent. I am in the Rocky Mountain Region, so perhaps that can guide potential expectations for anyone interested. Benefits are good and competitive, potential to affect your income is great, training is exceptional. Everyone I deal with really cares for the company and are thankful for their jobs. I am very happy on many levels. I can see a clear path for professional development.

Cons

My base pay is low in regards to my cost of living and professional experience. HR process took too long (4 months).

To address some of the other reviews: "you're on your own." To a certain extent this has been true for me. However, I feel like I was provided the tools to ask the right questions to get where I wanted to go. I am somewhat clear in my own personal objectives though. I can see how an employee could feel like they don't have the support, but you have to ask for it and utilize the many resources available to you. I have a great team to rely on with other salesman who have been very forthcoming with knowledge and time.

If you want to move salesman into branch manager positions, you will have to change the compensation structure of the branch managers. In point salesman understand more of the all around functions required by a manager implementing the day to day strategy, more experience=more pay.

Challenging career with numerous job responsibilities in a very challenging and competitive market.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at Rain For Rent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities in the right market area, seasonal business in the Reno lake Tahoe region makes meeting sales goals a challenge. They specialize in the oil and gas industry which is their big customer basis.

Cons

Trying to be competitive in labor and rental costs in the Reno Tahoe area is a real challenge when following the guidelines of the company. Management is not responsive to market challenges in pricing of equipment and labor.

The training at Rain for Rent is very helpful but application of what you are taught is left in your hands. Very diverse market area with many challenges. I was new to the company and feel that their support was minimal. Being in outside sales and being responsible for design and engineering of projects along with new customer acquisition and repeat customer service. Also having to complete reports and call mileage along with being responsible for scheduling job walks and installation dates. You are also responsible for attending pre bid meetings and preparing and delivering customer quotes in a timely manner. The responsibility of the salesperson at Rain for Rent is a total commitment and then some and if you are not meeting sales the job becomes more challenging even though you are preparing quotes and calling on customers they cut into your time to do your job by requiring more and more tedious reports.

Absolute disregard for OSHA and DOT regulations. Severely intimidate and punish safety conscious employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dickinson, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dickinson, ND

I have been working at Rain For Rent

Pros

Pay and benefits are good but manipulated by corrupt management.

Cons

Management and supervisors deliberately and mercilessly endanger employees to cut costs, and punish those who express concern.

Find some respect for humanity.

This place has a lot of potential

I worked at Rain For Rent

Pros

A lot of good people working at Rain for Rent. The company is growing and has a lot of turnover so promotions happen fast.

Cons

Simply too much turnover. They also are way behind the curve with their IT department.

Listen to your employees.

Pay well, challenging, will work you to death if you let them

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Rain For Rent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, not your usual general line rental experience. More of a niche market, including (sometimes) estimating labor and providing a system design in addition to just a basic rental. You need to know your stuff.

Cons

Micro-manage to the nth degree. No employee empowerment, deviate from established policies and pay the price. Panic mentality for short term revenue shortfalls, act like the company will implode when goals are not met in the short term, despite the fact that they make all kinds of profit. Their business is somewhat cyclical, but they seem from a management perspective to not understand at all local market conditions, economic factors, or competition. Budgets are bloated and in many cases have no relationship to reality. Learning curve is long, but the expectations related to results are hurried. The owners of the company (the Lake family, have owned it since inception) watch every penny like it is their last. Scrooge was a big spender compared to these guys. Corporate HQ has an "us versus them" mentality, and suck revenue from the Branches at a ridiculous rate. Metrics (goals/expectations) can actually conflict with each other, i.e. what's good for one employee's metric can be bad for another's. Branch Manager bonuses are all or nothing, you can hit 4 out of 5 goals and get nothing. Paperwork requirements are astronomical.. Little administrative help. Company is run way too lean. Credit requirements are outrageously high for customers, with little flexibility. Microsoft would have a hard time getting credit approval from this group.

Loosen up the purse strings. Empower your employees, give them some rope, trust them. Get feedback from your sales force, don't just dictate to them. Have realistic budgets. Drop the BS "multipliers" used to take revenue away from Branch Managers and deprive them of their bonuses. Back off the constant scrutiny, trust your employees. Get some administrative help, at both the Branch and HQ levels. Don't work employees to death, provide a better work/life balance. Take care of your employees, you spend a lot of money training them and giving them experience, allow them to do their jobs. And for God's sake, have some fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Rain for Rent.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rifle, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rifle, CO

I worked at Rain For Rent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rain for Rent offers some very good training opportunities, and the benefits are very good.

Cons

Management tends to be very disorganized, and this goes all the way to the top of the company.

Pick a clear direction that you wish to go in. Stop reinventing yourself, it is very confusing to your employees. You really need to put more effort into choosing and hiring your managers.

Better named "Pain for Rent"!

Current Employee - Installer/Service Associate/Laborer/Mechanic/Inventory Maintenance

I have been working at Rain For Rent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to spend most of your time at work, there are plenty of hours that you are required to be there. Installers/ water transfer workers are a high demand. If you are in Sales you really don't have to work hard for your pay, and get rewarded with cruises on the company yacht, and golf tournaments, while the hardest workers get things like quarterly safety bonuses taken away, you will get Salary plus commission and have take home pay higher than all the workers combine.

Cons

No time to invest in family, and when you have the time, you will not have enough money in your pay for essentials like food, or even fuel to get to work. If you choose to move to a position in the yard where they try to limit your hours, because you are doing work that is not billable to a specific customer, you will find that you do not get paid enough for how hard it is to get everything done in the time frame that management wants it done. If you are a hard worker and are self motivated, this company will use that to their advantage and keep you doing a job you hate for less money than if you were using your skills somewhere else. They reward you with more responsibility and give the nice raises to the lazy favorite drinking buddies.It is like slavery in this century, you will find yourself coming to work not wanting to be there and loosing everything that means the most to you. Management doesn't care that your shift causes you to only see family on weekends, and in order for you to be able to pay the bills and put food on the table, you have to work the weekend filling in for someone who is sick or on vacation. Safety is not job number one here even though it is preach like it is. The only real numbers they care about is the profit and quantity of products out on rent, not the quality of service or products rented, or even keeping the best employees who actually want to work and care for the customer's needs. For example: sending out spillguard containment to a customer with holes big enough to put you hand through, is just not acceptable. If it was going on your property and it was supposed to protect from a spill of toxic liquids getting into you well water, or from your dog drinking it. Would you want "drain holes" in a spillguard you are renting? This company's management is all about getting paid top dollar for poor quality repairs, and waiting until they get called on it before they attempt to do anything about it. All the good workers who actually care about what kind of job they do end up being fired for saying something or petty stupid things or quit after getting fed up with it. All we want is security in a job that pays the bills, and what we get is worry, worry about getting fired for false accusation, worry about not being able to pay the bills, worry about if you can get the job done to the satisfaction of the customer, worry about if OSHA or the EPA will shut you down and you are out of a job due to shady business that compromises health, safety, and the environment. Skill based pay is a joke when supervisors will refuse to sign off that you have done a certain job or skill, while they make sure that their buddies get their paperwork pencil whipped, so they will get a raise, or sent to a school. The only way to get promoted here is to be a tattle tail or butt kisser, that results in other people getting fired.

Reward your hard working employees with better pay and more time with family. When was the last time that Management had to actually work a Holiday or miss a child's birthday, or worry about not seeing a parent who is in critical condition before they die because the company doesn't have anyone to fill in for you due to a customer being a 24 hr 7 day per week operation. Not once have I seen my branch manager, operations manager, or yard supervisor on a weekend while the rest of us keep making the company money by working. Not once has my supervisor asked me to do something instead on telling me to do a huge list of things other than my regular duties. Management needs to get their hands dirty and do some real work, and sacrifice some of their family time or church time for the company, in order to have a better understanding of what they expect the workers to do on a regular basis. Wake Up! God gave you that position and the head on your shoulders to make wise understanding decisions, now do your best to see that you retain your good employees and good customers. Remember: good news travels fast, but bad news travels at the speed of light, and drives away the best help and customers.

Make sure you know what you are getting into!

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Rain For Rent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has potential to grow into something great. They are an old “mom and pop” company that has outgrown the old ways and is struggling to enter a new age. When they figure it all out this could be a great company.

Their wages are great. Many of the people are fantastic. Overall the company is run by honest people.

Cons

In a management role you are entirely on your own! There is no guidance or training or even clear expectations.

Turnover, both voluntary and involuntary, is shockingly high in every job category.

The job you will be doing is nothing like what you think it will be. They are not truly a rental company but more of a specialized contractor that performs labor and service. Do not believe what the recruiter tells you, spend time with the company and understand the job for yourself before you join!

There is no cohesive company vision or standardization.

Communication is incredibly slow, people at the corporate office will simply not respond if your issue is one that they don’t want to address.

There is zero work/life balance.

It is time for the old mind set to retire and let new ideas run things.

Standardize your operations! Implement training programs for sales and management. Hold upper management accountable and stop the infighting. Stop encouraging conflict between sales and operations.

To much micro managing

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Rain For Rent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits such as health, dental ,401k, pay scales appropriate for the industry.

Cons

Corporate trys to micro manage over the branches too much. Company needs to concentrate more on servicing the customer and increasing sales. Lack of new up to date gear. In rental need to have gear availble or you lose the rental, yet corp penalizes branches for having selection in inventory.

Branches and renting equipment is what provides you revenue, period. Stop bothering the branches with mindless tasks so people at corp can have a job and let them focus on provoding customers with better service.