Rainforest Alliance

Rainforest Alliance Reviews

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reasonable company to work for.

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits and reasonable pay.

ConsDo not encourage creativity and provide low level of professional development or support.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication between offices so staff don't get isolated. Greater attention by management to help staff develop professionally.

I look back at the experience with fondness. There were some great people and the environment was very encouraging.

Membership (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe office location is prime, lots of sunshine streaming in, soothing colors. The best part was the people. Great motivators and productivity was high.

ConsFor a company whose mission is partly to save rainforests, we also used a lot of paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I was just a intern, I can't really say. But perhaps some more ways to ease the physical stress of sitting in front of a computer all day?

Very unpleasant experience-- would not recommend beginning your career here

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time for more than a year

ProsFull health benefits, short 35 hour work weeks

ConsDisorganized employees, very low pay, slow to promote, disrespectful senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot enough value is placed on retaining valued employees or incentivizing them to do quality work. Senior management is disrespectful and takes advantage of entry-level employees. Several of the executive staff are incompetent with no management skills. The organization as a whole takes on more than it can reasonably handle, resulting in mediocrity in all its endeavors. If you're looking to "make a difference", this isn't the place.

Great mission but employees are setup to fail!

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is great work that is being done by the people on the ground, period! Unfortunately I can only justify my pros to the better half of the organization since there is a significant divide with upper management.

ConsAs for the other half, there is tremendous turn-over rate, where fixing things is not achievable when all the people you work with is constantly leaving and changing priorities. Every decision has to be approved by the CFO, who is always unavailable and god forbid if you make a decision, you are then punished and on your way out. Most staff are hired as managers with little or no staff or resources since their one job is equivalent to 3 roles, so they end up doing everything and not one thing well. Some areas are really bad to a point that you are expected to commit working everyday till after 9 pm since everyday is an emergency. Upper management does not value their staff and instead of investing in their current employees, they rather hire new people and set you up to quit. They would lie, cheat and stab their staff in the back once they feel they are done with you. Out of all the places I have worked in, this was the worst professional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit! Rainforest Alliance would be better off without you.

Completely Mismanaged and Disorganized

Finance & Accounting (Former Employee)

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time

ProsHealth and vacation benefits are really good. The IT department is very knowledgeable. In general, the support staff are fun people who work hard and are great office mates.

ConsWhere to start? There is a complete lack of urgency to get things done and done correctly. Instead of taking some time to evaluate everything that needs to be done and coming up with a work plan, everyone is constantly putting out fires. The worst part is that they freely admitted this to me on my first day. Deadlines for major overhauls and projects got pushed back by months several times, sometimes causing major disruptions in workflow.
It is a relatively casual work atmosphere, but some people take it past the point of unprofessional in their attire, language, conversation topics and workspace cleanliness.
Pay is below average even for non-profits, however some of the benefits make up for this a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire department directors with actual management skills. It's nice to have directors and leadership who are charismatic, but that can only take you so far. If they don't have the management skills necessary to run their department, or even just a few employees this place is going to continue to be a disaster.

Good starting job

I worked at Rainforest Alliance

ProsRA has a decent promotion system and lets you know your promotion status on a regular basis. Pay and benefits are fine.

ConsRA does not distinguish who the best workers are as well as they could. Also getting time off work can be annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should keep the promotion system intact but also should make it more transparent. Underperforming workers should be fired sooner.

Worked for Rainforest Alliance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rainforest Alliance reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Rainforest Alliance employees.