Rainforest Alliance

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014
2.2

CEO

Good experience overall, marred by unsavory experience with HR

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company has a great environment, the workplace is great and the people are genuine. Can't speak as to pay since I was an intern and those are not paid.

Cons

Human Resources needs to pull it together, heard many grumblings about 'new policies'. Had a personal experience with a very untactful HR representative. She had to let me know another person had to be chosen for a job and did not do it in person while we were both in the office. I found it very disrespectful.

frustrating organization

I have been working at Rainforest Alliance full-time

Pros

Very good benefits package and time off is generous

Cons

There are a plethora of inefficiencies, from IT and systems to general work flow. High turnover rate. The vast majority of managers are poor leaders and have little to no management training or experience. Upper management does not value staff or care about employee retention or satisfaction. No opportunities for growth.

Start paying attention to employee feedback and staff morale.

The organizational mission is great, benefits are great, salaries are fair, leadership is schizophrenic.

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, after recent adjustments, has been fair and the general benefits package is great. For the most part fellow employees are dedicated, hard working and fun in the office and outside. There is an amazing variety of people working for the organization and the opportunity to gain global perspective on environmental and social issues was fantastic. The programs/divisions which are well run can produce some amazing results and produce meaningful impacts on the ground and in global markets.

Cons

Support services are generally poor despite the efforts of mid-level staff. Boots-on-the-ground level programs seem to perform in spite of those internal services rather than supported by them. Organizational planning is, on the surface, intended to be transparent and inclusive but presented in such massive 'chunks' as to preclude actual meaningful input. There is a definite feeling of inequity in staff position, low level staff in one division/program seem to have more real responsibility and demonstrable impact that senior managers in other programs/divisions. Organizational follow-through is poor. Massive announcements will be made prematurely (new initiatives, new policies...) and then no results are ever seen. Finally, some decisions seem to be made more for organizational 'politics' than actual rational thought.

Say what you do, and then do what you say. If processes are intended to be inclusive then structure and resource them enough to actually use the input solicited. If transparency is a component of your operation then actually be transparent, provide clear and accessible information. Follow through on your commitments (real or implied), if you do not actually intend to do something then do not say it.

Ok benefits, incompetent management

I worked at Rainforest Alliance

Pros

Employees care for and believe on the mission. Good benefits. Great centrally situated location. Opportunities for travel to Latin America and Africa.

Cons

Highly political, incompetent management team. The organization suffers from corporate ADHD, as they can't concentrate on one thing for more than days or weeks. The one department that I would exonerate would be the Communications department. If you read the book "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team", this is a great example of a company that's highly dysfunctional. Few high level managers are highly dictatorial and very insecure. Lots of voluntary and involuntary employee turnover and burn out. Really old building, elevators are always breaking down.

New management team needed, the organization has grown beyond the capability of the current management team.

Disorganized company

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comparing to other well developed companies. I can hardly say any pros here. Maybe a company with great mission, international but with no more than 500 employees.

Cons

Unpleasant experience, I don't wanna say anything particularly but this is definitely not a growing environment for people who work here no matter for young professionals or senior managers.

Disorganized company, staff are setup to fail.

Reasonable company to work for.

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and reasonable pay.

Cons

Do not encourage creativity and provide low level of professional development or support.

More communication between offices so staff don't get isolated. Greater attention by management to help staff develop professionally.

I look back at the experience with fondness. There were some great people and the environment was very encouraging.

Former Employee - Membership in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Membership in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office location is prime, lots of sunshine streaming in, soothing colors. The best part was the people. Great motivators and productivity was high.

Cons

For a company whose mission is partly to save rainforests, we also used a lot of paper.

Since I was just a intern, I can't really say. But perhaps some more ways to ease the physical stress of sitting in front of a computer all day?

Very unpleasant experience-- would not recommend beginning your career here

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full health benefits, short 35 hour work weeks

Cons

Disorganized employees, very low pay, slow to promote, disrespectful senior management.

Not enough value is placed on retaining valued employees or incentivizing them to do quality work. Senior management is disrespectful and takes advantage of entry-level employees. Several of the executive staff are incompetent with no management skills. The organization as a whole takes on more than it can reasonably handle, resulting in mediocrity in all its endeavors. If you're looking to "make a difference", this isn't the place.

Great mission but employees are setup to fail!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is great work that is being done by the people on the ground, period! Unfortunately I can only justify my pros to the better half of the organization since there is a significant divide with upper management.

Cons

As for the other half, there is tremendous turn-over rate, where fixing things is not achievable when all the people you work with is constantly leaving and changing priorities. Every decision has to be approved by the CFO, who is always unavailable and god forbid if you make a decision, you are then punished and on your way out. Most staff are hired as managers with little or no staff or resources since their one job is equivalent to 3 roles, so they end up doing everything and not one thing well. Some areas are really bad to a point that you are expected to commit working everyday till after 9 pm since everyday is an emergency. Upper management does not value their staff and instead of investing in their current employees, they rather hire new people and set you up to quit. They would lie, cheat and stab their staff in the back once they feel they are done with you. Out of all the places I have worked in, this was the worst professional environment.

Please quit! Rainforest Alliance would be better off without you.

Completely Mismanaged and Disorganized

Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in New York, NY

I worked at Rainforest Alliance full-time

Pros

Health and vacation benefits are really good. The IT department is very knowledgeable. In general, the support staff are fun people who work hard and are great office mates.

Cons

Where to start? There is a complete lack of urgency to get things done and done correctly. Instead of taking some time to evaluate everything that needs to be done and coming up with a work plan, everyone is constantly putting out fires. The worst part is that they freely admitted this to me on my first day. Deadlines for major overhauls and projects got pushed back by months several times, sometimes causing major disruptions in workflow.
    It is a relatively casual work atmosphere, but some people take it past the point of unprofessional in their attire, language, conversation topics and workspace cleanliness.
    Pay is below average even for non-profits, however some of the benefits make up for this a bit.

Hire department directors with actual management skills. It's nice to have directors and leadership who are charismatic, but that can only take you so far. If they don't have the management skills necessary to run their department, or even just a few employees this place is going to continue to be a disaster.