Rainforest Cafe

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
2.1

CEO

I gained knowledge and incredible management experience.

I have been working at Rainforest Cafe

Pros

RFC has flexible hours and the team I work with is amazing.

Cons

Some of the management seems unhappy with there jobs

Have more enthusiasm about your job so it can rub off on your employees.

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Rainforest Cafe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Anaheim location. Half off of food, Downtown Disney discounts, and free admission to Disneyland were some nice perks. If you can get a job as a server, the tips are pretty good. Work was always entertaining and fast paced.

Cons

Guests can be a bit crazy, but I suppose that's true at any restaurant. People on vacation at Disneyland seem to just throw a bigger fit when things don't go right. I worked in the Back of House doing admin work, so the pay wasn't particularly great. Difficult to get raises, but you don't need to worry about that if you're serving. LOTS of drama. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes ridiculous, but you'll rarely be bored.

Save yourself the Rainforest PTSD

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your peer-coworkers are really awesome, the managers will usually have a holy than tho attitude.

Cons

company takes money out of paycheck so that you can get a discount? what?

treat your workers like real people

Sales Position, not hospitality

Current Employee - Safari Guide in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Safari Guide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rainforest Cafe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Besides mandatory weekend availability, flexible schedule
    Enjoyable atmosphere
    Fun, dependable co-workers
    Discounts at multiple restaurants, hotels, casinos

Cons

Guests are not always polite
    Expected to be more of a salesperson than server
    Managers do not always acknowledge their position of authority (e.g. insulting workers)

When you are in a position of authority, it is wise to take it up with responsibility. Insulting your workers, even in a lighter-hearted manner, can make one feel powerless. Do you expect us to insult you back? I have felt personally attacked by a supervisor and there was nothing I could do about it.

Immoral and Unethical Employer

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Rainforest Cafe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun, entertaining and magical work environment

Cons

This employer leads through intimidation and humiliation and has the you don't like it quit mentality. But if you quit they will maliciously slander your reputation and character to all prospective employers during reference calls because they know that slander law suits are long expensive and hard to prove.

Avoid this employer at all cost

Lead with integrity and honor and you will do well.

Gift shop (chicago) Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Gift Shop in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gift Shop in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, 50% discount , most managers were okay, they make sure you are trained , and it was nice to interact with different type of people

Cons

I quit after three weeks; I couldnt take it anymore. During my interview, they painted this grand picture and where I got hired, it was totally different. Training was too intense , you had to take finals and all of this extra work and it lasted for a week. Once done with training, the hours were crazy. You would be scheduled from 12pm-10pm. However, it was set in stone. After your break, they would make you clock in late , to save money. one manager was really rude and didnt know how to manage people. Then, there was no break room, no where to store your lunch, so you had to buy food all the time & the locker room was a cramp hall way by the managers office. The hours are fickle . And the 50% discount is a scam, they take 9.00 a week out of your check if you enroll. I end up quitting for another job because it disliked working there.

accommodate your employees better

fun lots of communication

I worked at Rainforest Cafe

Pros

training ,made you feel welcome

Cons

travel ,schedule conflict just not enough self motivation in some people

n/a

Family-like environment.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The managers all care about their employees and they strive to make sure that everyone is treated equally with fairly.

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling of shifts leads to inexperienced servers getting stations that are extremely busy leading them to fall in the weeds and need tons of help to recover.

Please look into this and ensure that servers with the most experience get the busier of stations so there is no issue with table turns.

Gift shop San Antonio

Former Employee - Retail Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts at restaurants. Meet a lot of interesting people who come for vacation. Usually a fun place to work when there isn't gossiping or drama going around.

Cons

At the time there was a lot of drama and favoritism other that that it was an okay job. Oh and too many employees, so during the slow part of the year only worked one day a week which didn't make it worth it.

Stable. Negative influence from corporate and the sneaky, back door operations from within corporate.

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rainforest Cafe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, Great co-workers- Unit Management Team-Dedicated and Hardworking. The tropical fish are beautiful to look at everyday. You can make some great friendships here due to the team work needed to survive here.

Cons

Managers have put thier lives on hold to work consisitent 12,13,14 hour days. You will have no outside social or family life here. I have known many cases of family issues or social depression felt by managers. You will not get lunch breaks with these long days either. Yep that's illegal, but somehow Landry's continues to get away with illegal practices. If you are a salaried manager, you are required to perform hourly functions because the company is too cheap to afford to pay a minimum waged crew member for a few hours. Landrys claims that they want to delivery guest service, but they do not give thier managers the tools for success- like employee's...so instead they have cranky guests because it is impossible to deliver proper service when you work alone. If you like guests and enjoy servicing them, this is not the place for you. Upper management threatens and harrasses you daily with phone calls and emails and if that isn't enough, contrary to how the company wants you to treat crew, you are spoken to like a child and actually yelled at and spoken down to. Landry's is a large company and with that should come growth, but they seem to operate on the patronage system. If you are on the ins with someone, you will more than likely get the opportunity. Opportunities are kept on the hush hush unless of coarse no one wants the job, then they get posted for all. So good luck with that, and believe me this is a big company, so if no one wants the job, RUN the other way. I know longer work for this company and I can say, the grass IS greener on the other side. If you are management capable, go to a company that values their employees. If you see a job posting for Retail Manager, RUN this is NOT retail as you know it. Retail support staff is inexperienced in the field.

Have seminars on how to engage management team appropriately and professionally. Start to diffuse the negative energy or the high turnover will continue. Be fair and consistent.