Rainforest Cafe

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.4

CEO

I gained knowledge and incredible management experience.

I have been working at Rainforest Cafe

Pros

RFC has flexible hours and the team I work with is amazing.

Cons

Some of the management seems unhappy with there jobs

Have more enthusiasm about your job so it can rub off on your employees.

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Rainforest Cafe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at the Anaheim location. Half off of food, Downtown Disney discounts, and free admission to Disneyland were some nice perks. If you can get a job as a server, the tips are pretty good. Work was always entertaining and fast paced.

Cons

Guests can be a bit crazy, but I suppose that's true at any restaurant. People on vacation at Disneyland seem to just throw a bigger fit when things don't go right. I worked in the Back of House doing admin work, so the pay wasn't particularly great. Difficult to get raises, but you don't need to worry about that if you're serving. LOTS of drama. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes ridiculous, but you'll rarely be bored.

Sales Position, not hospitality

Current Employee - Safari Guide  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Safari Guide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rainforest Cafe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Besides mandatory weekend availability, flexible schedule
    Enjoyable atmosphere
    Fun, dependable co-workers
    Discounts at multiple restaurants, hotels, casinos

Cons

Guests are not always polite
    Expected to be more of a salesperson than server
    Managers do not always acknowledge their position of authority (e.g. insulting workers)

When you are in a position of authority, it is wise to take it up with responsibility. Insulting your workers, even in a lighter-hearted manner, can make one feel powerless. Do you expect us to insult you back? I have felt personally attacked by a supervisor and there was nothing I could do about it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Immoral and Unethical Employer

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Rainforest Cafe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, entertaining and magical work environment

Cons

This employer leads through intimidation and humiliation and has the you don't like it quit mentality. But if you quit they will maliciously slander your reputation and character to all prospective employers during reference calls because they know that slander law suits are long expensive and hard to prove.

Avoid this employer at all cost

Lead with integrity and honor and you will do well.

fun lots of communication

I worked at Rainforest Cafe

Pros

training ,made you feel welcome

Cons

travel ,schedule conflict just not enough self motivation in some people

n/a

Gift shop (chicago) Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Gift Shop  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gift Shop in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment, 50% discount , most managers were okay, they make sure you are trained , and it was nice to interact with different type of people

Cons

I quit after three weeks; I couldnt take it anymore. During my interview, they painted this grand picture and where I got hired, it was totally different. Training was too intense , you had to take finals and all of this extra work and it lasted for a week. Once done with training, the hours were crazy. You would be scheduled from 12pm-10pm. However, it was set in stone. After your break, they would make you clock in late , to save money. one manager was really rude and didnt know how to manage people. Then, there was no break room, no where to store your lunch, so you had to buy food all the time & the locker room was a cramp hall way by the managers office. The hours are fickle . And the 50% discount is a scam, they take 9.00 a week out of your check if you enroll. I end up quitting for another job because it disliked working there.

accommodate your employees better

Family-like environment.

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The managers all care about their employees and they strive to make sure that everyone is treated equally with fairly.

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling of shifts leads to inexperienced servers getting stations that are extremely busy leading them to fall in the weeds and need tons of help to recover.

Please look into this and ensure that servers with the most experience get the busier of stations so there is no issue with table turns.

Gift shop San Antonio

Former Employee - Retail Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts at restaurants. Meet a lot of interesting people who come for vacation. Usually a fun place to work when there isn't gossiping or drama going around.

Cons

At the time there was a lot of drama and favoritism other that that it was an okay job. Oh and too many employees, so during the slow part of the year only worked one day a week which didn't make it worth it.

Ehh

Current Employee - Safari Guide (Food Server)  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Safari Guide (Food Server) in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rainforest Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

High prices equals high tips and the restaurant is usually very busy which helps to make money.

Cons

A high tip out of 4 percent. If you don't get tipped by a table very well you may owe the company more than you made. Most of the management is not very professional or approachable. Greedy corporation worried mostly about high check averages and selling the Laundry Select Club Cards. High turnover including management. You get to eat at any Laundry's restaurant for half price but you have to pay $4.75 a week for the privilege, even if you only want to consume soda during your shift.

Less of a tip share, the corporation can afford to pay the busser's and anyone else that get's tip share more of their wage. Management should treat employee's like they are valued

Great opportunity to make money muddled by aggressive membership sales

I worked at Rainforest Cafe part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the food is better than you would expect and the family friendly environment keeps a lot of kids entertained making it fairly easy to suggestively sell and make good tips.

Cons

Starting in 2012 Rainforest Cafe transitioned to the "Landry's Select Club" program like all other restaurants owned by Landry's. These $25 memberships sell really well in some concepts (namely the high scale restaurants) but are very difficult sells for anything other than regular customers at the lower end restaurants likes Rainforest and Bubba Gumps. Management regularly set monthly requirements for memberships with harsh penalties for not making them (regardless of performance otherwise), and forced the membership information on customers an average of 3-4 times every dining experience; greatly lowering customer's experience and resulting in lower tips. The climate was such that selling a lot one month only meant more pressure to sell even more the next. Company also began to obsess over the per person average of customers dining in the restaurant; threatening disciplinary action for not averaging numbers as high as $23 per person (which included kids who's meals are priced at $5.99 each). All around the last year it started to feel more like a seedy used car lot. "Growth program" is also a joke that promotes very few people from within and takes years to sometimes bring a server up to a part time assistant manager type level.

Management needs to do a better job standing up to corporate people who insist on meeting unrealistic expectations and look out for their employees more. Foster an environment where employees want to succeed rather than making them feel like success will only mean more unrealistic goals and harsher punishments next month.

Worked for Rainforest Cafe? Contribute to the Community!