Rakuten Loyalty

2.9

Michael Jaconi

Good internship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive intern salary based on skill. If you are comfortable with Node.js, you will enjoy working there as their web service back-end is in Node.js. They try to keep up with the latest frameworks to improve their development stack.

Cons

Entry level salary isn't very competitive.
    No code review. Low standards for code. Even though they seem to have a good mentality of what their coding standards should be, their actual code doesn't reflect that.

There should be a more comprehensive training and the bar for employing engineers should be much higher.

You'll regret working here

I worked at Rakuten Loyalty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer free lunch every day
    The office is in a good location (in South Station)
    The benefits include a free membership to Hubway

Cons

CTO basically runs the company and leads with threats and pitting groups and people against each other. They hire smart people, but throw them in a toxic environment where they either leave quickly (~3 people per week) or stay and hate working there. Everyone is expected to work 50-60 hours and performance is based on hours, rather than quality of work. Also, the long hours are caused by poor planning by management, rather than actual amount of work. (With the CTO constantly changing schedules and priorities without discussing it with anyone, that's bound to happen.) Management (including HR) doesn't care about your career growth or advancement, they're too busy worrying about kissing up to the CTO. There were issues with sexism while I was there.

The CTO might be smart, but he's an awful manager and leader. He's been the only constant. Either find a new CTO or make him take some management and leadership classes. Allow managers to manage, instead of being afraid of offending the CTO. Make culture a priority, having a ping pong table and nap rooms doesn't count if you're not allowed to use them without fear of being fired. Work on the issues with sexism (before it becomes a legal problem).

Imagine working in Beirut

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food. Lots of food and some beer. Convenient to trains. Did I mention food? Oh, yes, and the food. Lot's of food, which is great because you can't find the time to go home.

Cons

Nepotism, cronyism, cold-blooded CTO with little talent and a huge ego, an HR Department that enables the maniacal CTO, not-so-bright-rich-kid CEO more obsessed with interior design than managing his CTO, noisy, and endless hours of boring work.

Upper management is rotten to the core, so I cannot see how giving upper management advice would be of any use. Their parent company, Rakuten, should fire the CEO and CTO, that certainly would do no harm. Pick some random homeless person to be CEO and it would be an improvement. The street sweeper would make a better CTO.

Don't work here, it doesn't deserve a single star

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty

Pros

The only pros were the people and the perks before, but both are gone now.

Cons

No perks, ridiculous hours, not much vacation, terrible management, no standards, bad practices, clients that hate the company, untrustworthy HR, high employee turnover, bad projects, favoritism, language barriers caused by management who do not understand US English, terrible office with not enough conference rooms and no privacy, lies, deception, no growth, no challenges...the list can go on, the worst company you could ever work for.

Management needs to get some management training, and leave the opinions to the experts. The first stop would be to stop lying to and threatening employees.

First Time for Intern and They do not teach Anything!

Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Rakuten Loyalty as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of free time because you have nothing can do.

Cons

Everything but lots of free time

If you love this company, change a company to work!

I am glad I am part of this

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty full-time

Pros

The executive of this company managed to move this company from a project driven company with no future into a product company that makes everyone working there proud of being part of this change. The fun is about to start here and the growth is going to skyrocket. I am happy I stayed to witness this and be part of it.

Cons

The cons were some initial employee of this company. I am glad they are no longer here

Very deceptive company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technologies, but they seem to be gambling too much by only using newer technologies. NoSQL + Node.js + Buzzword bull. They seem to be more concerned with buzzword compliance that using proven technologies.

Cons

They claim to have more than 20 million subscribers, but with their platforms being essentially legal adware/spyware tools, most of the subscribers are not acquired voluntarily. One assumes most of Freecause.com’s subscribers don’t even acknowledge what Freecause is, who their clients and sponsors are, or that they are individually subscribed to a marketing list created by Freecause, which is used to strictly create revenue streams for third parties (and of course themselves), via annoying, malicious tools.

Seems to be run by a CTO that has unresolved childhood issues where he must feel authoritative. That may work in other countries, but this is the US.

Get a competent CTO that speaks proper English and knows the culture of the US market.

Growing company with evolving company challenges & great career opportunities!

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, smart coworkers, potential for upward mobility.

Cons

Things move fast, sometimes too fast, you have to be willing & able to keep up.

Keep investing in employees & seeking feedback to make our company the best it can be.

Amazing

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots to learn, lots to explore, lots to do and lots of fun.
    I have worked with the best and the worst and Rakuten outperforms the best by far. The job at Rakuten is like a daily challenge and I'm very proud of what we have achieved so far. Some people follow leads, we create leads, we create options, we create opportunities and we grow.

My opinion is biased mainly because of the enthusiasm I have for the company and mainly because I see the vision and see where this is going, and it's only towards a better place.

I heard some people talking about some senior people that happen to work endlessly, I'm probably the one they're refering to. I do that for a reason, success is nothing but a focused hard work and the determination to go to the next level, and every day we're getting to a new level.

Cons

Don't join unless you're super smart, this is not a place for the average minds.

Keep it up

Real world problems, interesting tech stack, creative leadership

I have been working at Rakuten Loyalty

Pros

- actual consumer driven solutions
    - fast-paced environment
    - cutting edge tech stack
    - disciplined coding standards
    - supportive management

Cons

- start-up environment (not a con for me but for most who fail)
    - high standards
    - aggressive deadlines

Rakuten Loyalty Photos