Rakuten Marketing

Hiroshi Mikitani

Not that bad.

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits +++, environment, flexibility, future growth. There are negative reviews from the UK, but these folks in Salt Lake are top notch!

Cons

Some issues with overall direction, but expected when a company is growing.

Tech shouldn't make as many decisions about the business, but should be a major driver in the discussions

Frustrating and Disappointing

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. Employees are all generally friendly. Quiet work environment, pretty building. Free food and drinks and a (VERY) good culture (except for tech sadly).

Cons

Almost all of the tech management is egocentric. Tasks given are short, specific, and rare. Ideas are 'desired' but the end result is they are all ignored. Making a real impact on the business is near impossible. There is no test environment or any notion of QA. Business decisions are made without customer facing employees around.
    Sitting at your desk is important, but having work to do is not. If you are looking for a challenge, fast paced environment, or a place where outsider opinion is valued I would suggest moving on.

Give employees a chance to fail. Responsibility is very important. Break the management employee barriers. Being busy doesn't impress anyone. Spend time planning work in advance, there should be a backlog of work not a shortage. If there is a shortage of work that means you have too many employees. If you don't enjoy working with people maybe management isn't for you. Listen to advice, give people the benefit of the doubt.

Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ambitious strategy with lots of opportunities and rewards for those willing to step up.
    Smart people and a focus on employee development
    Company investing in culture

Cons

Inter office communication needs improvement. Sometimes different businesses within Rakuten Marketing are not on same page

Pace of change and growth is very fast. Invest more resources in managing change.

I have learned a lot on this ever expanding experience & wild ride.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. I enjoy the culture they try to emulate.

Cons

It is very difficult to make an real money, and even more so to grow financially in the company once you have agreed to a salary.

Listen to your employees. Even if what they have to say is nonsensical.

Remote office technology team member

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Financial backing of Rakuten Corp. Market leader in an established industry. Dedicated employees.

Cons

Relies on cumbersome legacy platform and outdated development methodology.

Leverage acquired companies' (ex. MediaForge) expertise on establishing a more efficient and productive development methodology and then innovate!

Sr. Analyst

I worked at Rakuten Marketing

Pros

good location in the middle of union sq

Cons

terrible environment to work with ridiculous goals you can never achieve. impossible to understand CEO during company meeting.

You cant manage a US location with Japanese mentality

Rakuten Marketing Europe (UK) is a wonderful place to work!

Former Employee - Client Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Client Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are many pros about working at Rakuten Marketing Europe, firstly you will work amongst great colleagues who are always wanting to help, collaborate and share ideas.

The staff is a mixture of experienced Account Managers and Directors and those looking to start a career in Affiliate, Display and Attribution.

Each division of Rakuten Marketing have a very impressive list of clients, with many retaining their partnerships year on year or expanding into becoming an Omni channel partner.

They look after their staff by providing breakfast once a week, free Friday lunch and give you an unlimited supply of 'naughty' snacks and fruit.

The culture us sociable, young and diverse and because you're based in Central London you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to lunch and going out for after work drinks with your colleagues.

Finally, Rakuten Marketing has a great vision ahead and are quickly becoming leaders and innovators within the performance marketing space and would recommend it to anyone who wants to start their career or want their vision to be listened to.

Cons

You will find yourself working long hours.
    The work can be challenging and demanding but very rewarding.

Keep up the good work and make sure you're constantly dedicating your time to help train and progress individuals in your team and do what you can to retain them.

Full of Potential and Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day is different, their is also different perks each day like free drinks, free lunch, free breakfast, Quartly parties. The staff work hard and play hard, and there is opportunity for growth and extra projects if you can show you have the scope and the ability to take on extra work. You get to work with some great brands and technologies as well. The role really is what you make of it. Working alongside key management and listening and taking their advice pays off.

Cons

Can't complain to much, You can work long hours but you also get to Work from Home, and some of the extra hours maybe for projects that you are committed and enjoy working on. Some of the staff are immature and quite petty, you just ignore them and focus on you work.

More detailed and rigid growth and development framework would be an advantage.
    More office structure to help encourage the younger staff in to a more day to professional way of working.
    Hire staff with relevant qualifications not just react to fill a headcount.

Soul destroying, do not work here as an Account Manager if you want to keep your mental health stable

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free breakfast Mondays
    Free lunch Fridays
    Excellent location, 1 min from tube station
    Nearby leather lane market
    Nearby quite a few good food outlets

Cons

Where do I start? It's very clear with the 'glowing' reviews below that I don't need to add mine. But, I feel that I must warn people, because I don't want anyone else to suffer the hell that I went through.

I can't even express in words how disorganised and demotivating Rakuten Marketing UK is. Nothing at this company made sense and by no exaggeration, the majority of employees are depressed, hence the extremely high turnover. In 2014, 8 Account Managers left the company (in a company of approx 60 people). I'll go through some of reasons why:

1. An Account Manager will be introduced to their role, without any professional training. When something goes wrong, the Account Manager will be blamed when management never told them the correct procedure in the first place. The director will give you 8-11 clients to manage but will not give you a tutorial on how to use the dashboard, how to read a trend card, what to put in the agenda, what to communicate with your client, how to create a feed, how to check the feed, what tasks to give the Coordinators (who are also swamped) and how to create an account review. There is no structure. You learn from your peers, unfortunately your peers are so overworked with calls, emails, meetings that they do not have the time help others. I love helping people, but when you can't even breathe, you can't help others.

2. The management aren't trained to manage people. I never felt that any of the managers made you feel empowered and in control of your own work. I felt like I wasn't trusted and I was always micro-managed even though I worked as hard as I could when being overworked. A poor director will give poor advice to their managers and then will give poor advice to employees.

3. The Account Manager has to attend so many meetings, all day, they do not have time to check their emails to answer their client, and then the client complains. Sure, you could get another Account Manager to cover you, but guess what? There are not enough Account Managers to cover all of the accounts. Let me go through how many meetings a week: all company meeting, UK team meeting, client services meeting, publisher spotlight x 2-3, day in the life of a publisher, account reviews (8-11 dependent on how many clients you have), catch ups, events, random pointless client meetings when the senior manager wants to show that they are doing some work for a promotion. We wanted to help our clients, but we didn't physically (and eventually emotionally) have the capacity to support them.

4. The managing director, he's a very nice guy personally. Unfortunately, he's more of Ted Talks motivational speaker than a manager. He will talk about 'amazing things and endless possibilities', but none of these will be actioned in reality. He's all about the budget for the short term, not the long term.

5. Lack of professionalism and procedures, there's no real complaints procedure, there's no pension scheme, no maternity benefits package. This company is all about the term 'budget'. And don't get me started on the unfair compensation and the career progression for promotions/salaries.

Save yourself. Do not work here.

Empower your employees.

Please listen to your employees who are actually dealing with the day to day tasks first hand.

You have no excuses not to resolve your issues when there have been so many people leaving your company.

Save yourself!

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch
    Ok office location

Cons

The AM role is astonishingly dull. There's not one employee that's excited to be here, this includes the Senior Managers, Directors and the MD too. Not only is there a lack of buzz in the office, but the entire management team seem to lack true management experience. One example of this is the blame culture each employee seems to dish out and surprisingly I’m seeing most of it come from my Director! Not everyone is skilled enough to manage processes or lead people. Just because someone is good at what they do does not mean they will be a great manager, and that’s perfectly OK! The people who have some sort of say of what goes on here are not fit to lead in any way, shape or form. This every so clear given the high turnover and low employee morale – all which is VERY VERY present here!

Being a new employee here and seeing the amount of skilled employees leave makes me see the true colour of this company – in all honesty, something I wish I had never become a part of. There isn’t an employee that’s staying that I truly admire or think “I can learn something from you”. I don’t look up to the MD, if fact I think he knows nothing of what goes on in the office or within the industry. The guys from DC Storm seem very bright but how could they not see through the crumbling façade of which is Rakuten? They didn’t make an educated decision in joining Rakuten. Poor chaps. Above all else, I hope they can have some influence on turning this place around because it’s clear the MD or Directors have no idea how to do that.

When good workers see people who do not contribute as much as they do or they see schmoozers who do little but socialize OR SLEEP with a particular person land positions they don’t deserve, it’s much like a slap in the face. Especially when those workers are staying until 21:30, not taking holiday, rallying the team and exceeding expectations the last thing they want to see is someone just waltz in and take a senior position, and then you have the audacity to put them in a leadership position over experienced workers. Come on!

And please don’t even get me started on the pay here. You want to the best, well then pay your staff accordingly!