Rakuten Marketing Reviews

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - CA - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing

Pros

Of all the companies I have worked at, this is the best. Hard work and efforts are noticed by leadership and there are a lot of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Like all companies, there are some bad apples. Technology updates can be slow, but the new CTO is working on improving this and we have already seen a change.

Advice to Management

Leverage your assets in each office to show continued support to employees.

2. Place of opportunity, but it depends

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for professional growth. There is great effort to retain talent

Cons

There is a cultural shift for the worst as the company expands. Over the next few years, who knows!

Advice to Management

none

3. Solid Company- slow moving

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is multi-faceted and teaches you a lot about different areas of channel, and prepares you for other positions (sales, marketing, account management)

Cons

They hire a lot of people at senior levels. Those people tend to struggle to learn, and junior managers pick up the slack without being promoted.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Stop hiring people with no affiliate or channel experience. Those people have a year long learning curve, and it ends up putting pressure on the people working beneath. Most young employees here have a better grasp on their accounts then the Senior people, and they notice it.

Getting better all the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, with constant improvements. Work hard play hard. Everyone is friendly and actively seeks to include others. This year they're reorganizing the bonus structure(to make them bigger!) and adding training and conference budgets for all employees. That's something you don't see very often.

Good work life balance. We have our peaks(like most places), but there's no expectation of year round crunch. You get out of this company as much as you put into it, if you really know how to own something and make it happen, you can do it here, with support all along the way.

Funding isn't an issue here. Having worked for startups it's nice not worrying about my next paychecks. Our revenue is growing significantly YoY, and we're owned by Rakuten(think of them like the Amazon of Japan)

Cons

Rakuten really really likes older business models, and feels better about older IT policies. We had gmail and google apps implemented and it worked all the time. Going back to Outlook is a serious downgrade and has caused some problems in our ability to do our job. The IT team is great, the software they have to support? Not so much.

Intranet and having to VPN in hasn't impacted my department yet, but there is even more concern around that. That way of working is outdated and unreliable.

I'm aware of up and coming solutions for all of the other issues I can think of, this company is generally great about taking feedback from employees into consideration.

Advice to Management

To the local guys: Keep it up! Overall everything is great, and the issues I mentioned almost feel like nitpicking.

To the heads in Japan: Maybe be a little more forward focused for internal software, and really evaluate the cost of those transitions more closely in advance of making decisions that impact our daily life as severely as mission critical software.

6. Great experience

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of hard working smart and fun people around.
    A very complete benefits package.
    Great health/dental/vision insurance.
    Amazing culture.
    Future is very bright!

Cons

It's becoming a huge organization and not everyone likes that.
    Some company social events are mandatory.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Great Company with a Fantastic Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing

Pros

A lot of growth potential, great technology, great product, great co-workers, great managers, Forge@4 = Drink and mingle at the end of the day! Lunch on Fridays!

Cons

You can't wait for anyone to give you special attention to get your job done. not a lot of training so be ready to work your butt off!

Advice to Management

Keep pointing us in the right direction!

Frustrating and Disappointing

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. Employees are all generally friendly. Quiet work environment, pretty building. Free food and drinks and a (VERY) good culture (except for tech sadly).

Cons

Almost all of the tech management is egocentric. Tasks given are short, specific, and rare. Ideas are 'desired' but the end result is they are all ignored. Making a real impact on the business is near impossible. There is no test environment or any notion of QA. Business decisions are made without customer facing employees around.
    Sitting at your desk is important, but having work to do is not. If you are looking for a challenge, fast paced environment, or a place where outsider opinion is valued I would suggest moving on.

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance to fail. Responsibility is very important. Break the management employee barriers. Being busy doesn't impress anyone. Spend time planning work in advance, there should be a backlog of work not a shortage. If there is a shortage of work that means you have too many employees. If you don't enjoy working with people maybe management isn't for you. Listen to advice, give people the benefit of the doubt.

9. Not that bad.

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits +++, environment, flexibility, future growth. There are negative reviews from the UK, but these folks in Salt Lake are top notch!

Cons

Some issues with overall direction, but expected when a company is growing.

Advice to Management

Tech shouldn't make as many decisions about the business, but should be a major driver in the discussions

Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ambitious strategy with lots of opportunities and rewards for those willing to step up.
    Smart people and a focus on employee development
    Company investing in culture

Cons

Inter office communication needs improvement. Sometimes different businesses within Rakuten Marketing are not on same page

Advice to Management

Pace of change and growth is very fast. Invest more resources in managing change.

I have learned a lot on this ever expanding experience & wild ride.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. I enjoy the culture they try to emulate.

Cons

It is very difficult to make an real money, and even more so to grow financially in the company once you have agreed to a salary.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Even if what they have to say is nonsensical.