Rakuten

www.rakuten.co.jp

Rakuten Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Hiroshi Mikitani

Pros
  • If you are workaholic and love to learn many new business and people, Rakuten is good as the company is growing fast (in 5 reviews)

• The company looks like its trying to stand out from the typical traditional Japanese company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very bad work-life balance- people are expected to work from 8am to 10, 11pm (considered very normal) (in 5 reviews)

• Japanese worker and management have the superior mentality that only them can make decision and direct non Japanese (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible Hours, Great Coworkers

ProsFlexible hours, smart coworkers, work-life balance

ConsCompensation, minimal training opportunities, minimal promotion opportunities (less career growth)

very traditional Japanese corporate culture and militaristic top-down management style.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLike other Japanese companies, it seems very difficult to get fired.

ConsVery bad work-life balance- people are expected to work from 8am to 10, 11pm (considered very normal). The pay is very bad and the company is very stingy. The management makes you feel like you belong to a military troop or very "taiikukai-kei" Japanese sports team; you cannot question your boss who insults and throws fits at whoever cannot achieve the impossible KPIs. The company has so many inefficient aspects- every employee has to attend an asa-kai at 8am in which more than half of employees sleep. There are numerous mandatory meetings in which its just a waste of time.
    The take-away: Long Hours, inefficient work style, rude and disrespectful management who doesnt care about employees, depressing office building that reminds of prison cells.

Good business opportunities and multicultural experience. However, too top-down.

ProsInteresting business opportunities, growth, a lot of international exposure.

ConsNot a solid HR structure - no proper feedback mechanism. Managers treat employees without respect. Highly unprofessional and rude. My entire team lives in fear of our manager. Lack of oversight and departments competing with one another without a cohesive goal. A CEO who is a micromanager, and unaware of the HR problems at his company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRakuten has a lot of potential if you make it a better place to work, otherwise you will keep bleeding talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inspirational talk, not great working culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of transparency inside company

ConsStill a japanese company, no western senior leaders so expect strange practices

Good for a first experience in japanese company

Server Administrative (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsThe team are internationalized, most of the people are talented and smart, technically very interesting, lot of divisions and role, you can switch latterally pretty easily, free lunch

Conslow salary, everybody speaks japanese even if the official language is english, few career improvement opportunities, heavy administration, food is not very good, nearest station is not convenient

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with englishnization, increase compensation for mid-career engineers

Good Japanese company for foreigners

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsVery lively and open, new challenges everyday. You will be in charge of individual services. Your contribution will be very obvious.

ConsIT operations are slow. some departments are very Japanese domestic thinking. Compensation somewhat low compare to other IT companies. The company is more business-driven.

Most foreigners friendly company in Japan

Software Developer (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsEnglish speaking company in Japan! So you can use only English
    Twice a year - performance review and evaluation
    There are a lot of trainings going on, half of them in Japanese.

ConsIf your department doesn't show good results your bonus will be very small, however when they hire you they tell that bonus will be equal to your one month salary
    There are a lot of regulations, that can be really annoying
    If you're in department or team where a lot of Japanese, you probably will work overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is trying to make Rakuten fast moving, global innovative company, however it is hard to be big Japanese company with start up spirit.
    So would advice to create something like Rkuten incubator for startups and invest in good ideas. You can even start this activity within Rakuten, there are a lot of talented people that can create more interesting things that they're currently working on.

International company in Japan

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsBasically, There are only English speaker in the office even security guards can speak English.
    Free lunch and gym in the office.
    atmosphere in workplace was really good. there are many international workers and they are friendly too.
    A lot of opportunities to work outside Japan as well.

ConsWorking hard. it is like typical Japanese working culture. many worker stayed late at the office as voluntarily .
    most people are dissatisfied with their salary.

Rakuten very bad for English Instructors

English Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsRakuten will use you as a tool, however it could be a good exprience just for a short time.

ConsI worked in Rakuten as an English Corporate Instructor. I was were to teach English to executives in Rakuten. I was asked to upload my syllabus on line through Rakuten selected provider called Language Cloud. After uploading the contents they were all stollen and re-emplyed within Rakuten for other purposes. No comment.

In addition, Rakuten Police security guards and long is totally inappropriate

- No chance of promotion you have to be Japanese

- Salary is on the bottom end of any scale.

- ID badges that have to be worn at all times. If you forget it, you have to go home and get it. A waste of time.

- Despite "Englishnization" 90% of employees cannot speak English. Meetings are meant to be in English, but no one cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more respectful and understanding when you are dealing with talented employees.

Couldn't wait to leave

Sales Strategy (Former Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

Pros* Free employee lunch
    * Open information sharing (company-wide, new projects, market movement)

Cons* Low quality upper management
    * No work-life balance
    * Marketplace claims to be an IT organization, but it is a sales company
    * Use of outdated technology

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to set a clear vision for the company and the future, and become a leader at your core business. As a sales organization, you should respect and support your employees as they are the main driver of your business. Churn and burn may work if you pay well, but it is not a healthy long-term strategy.

Also time to hire some leaders, as the upper-level managers (I worked with them all) are out of their league.

Worked for Rakuten? Contribute to the Community!