Raley's

Raley's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel

Michael Teel

Pros
  • Good benefits for working part time(in 7 reviews)

• Good Pay if your in the Grocery clerk status(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing how they want things done(in 4 reviews)

• Union labor holds company back relative to competition(in 6 reviews)

overly dramatic

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Prosdecent pay and decent benefits

Consto much drama management does not help and compiles things against you to write you up before they ever tell you that you are making a mistake. bad corporate decisions causing major cutbacks and basically everything else is a con as well.

Advice to Senior Managementlead your people dont manage. get off your high horse and get your hands dirty and be approachable instead of trying to intimidate

Good place to work while still in school!

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsThe stores I worked at would work around my class schedule. Pay is above minimum wage and you even get benefits.

ConsLimited chance of getting promoted at the stores. There is a big focus on promoting people that have been there longest.
    Had to join the union.

Your average grocery store

ProsRaley's is a very low key environment, compared to a lot of the other big name grocery stores out there, Safeway etc. The people are friendly and the management doesn't rule the store with an iron fist. Like I said, very low key.

ConsContracts have recently taken a severe blow. No more Sunday Pay or Holiday pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Prosgreat first job to have

Consrude customers all the time

For years a fabulous union job! Amazing benefits,even at art time! I was a mom so this was very important to me!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInsurance /part time flex hours/ union scale/ meet plethora of people/

ConsWork most weekends holidays,not much balance

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who is your front line! The clerks who interact with the customers Daily

Decent job, not much room for improvement

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsIt can be a fun job, and I like the work that I do

ConsNot enough hours to live on. And due to the recent strike, there has been a pay freeze. So no raises unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees for the great work that they do, instead of being so stingy.

Company going downhill

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Rocklin, CA

ProsGood benefits for working part time. Flexible scheduling if you have a good manager. Co-workers are friendly and helpful.

ConsRaises are pretty much non-existent. Not a whole lot of opportunity. Everything is based on seniority. Customers always expect you to go above and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is just following corporate orders so you can't really blame them.

Quality family oriented buisness

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Granite Bay, CA

ProsGreat interaction with customers, awesome co-workers made tons of friends, Paid weekly, Flexible schedule. Owners of company make an appearance in the store and treat everyone the same.

ConsOutside a lot of the time, Angry customers, rude customers, no opportunity for advancement unless you are liked by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive everyone the opportunity and chance to move up in the company. Instead of keeping courtesy clerks, courtesy clerks for years when they could become a cashier or move within the store for more opportunities.

Excellent company to work for!

Safety, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsFriendly people, well-known in the community

ConsLow-margin industry, leading to cuts in any program that wasn't revenue-generating.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great experience, if you're at a good store

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Windsor, CA

ProsI was fortunate enough to work at a "good" store with, on the whole, good people. Because of this, there was a lot less drama and most days were pretty good ones.

ConsAs with any customer service position, customers can be infuriating. Management can sometimes make inept decisions and leave you questioning their decision making abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sugar coat bad news; we will figure out what is really happening and will feel like you're trying to undermine us. Also, i don't care what any statistics show, secret shoppers are a waste of money. They cause more trouble then they are worth and are NOT an accurate indication for an employees performance. For instance, I worked at my store for nearly four years, each of which was spent at a register as either a courtesy clerk or checker. I had a nearly perfect record of 5's on my shops by management but was never once rated by a secret shopper. If they have to start video taping us because of personal issues each shopper may have, perhaps it would be more wise to save the money Raley's is currently bleeding.

Worked for Raley's? Contribute to the Community!