Raley's Reviews

Reset
3.9
Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel
Michael Teel

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits, when compared to other industries (in 9 reviews)

• Good Pay if your in the Grocery clerk status (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does NOT care about their employees (in 5 reviews)

• If you want a courtesy clerk to do floral, or any other department for that matter, cross train them appropriately (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A company that feels like family.

Current Employee - Corporate Management in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Management in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A family-owned company with a rich history and a culture that is driven to give the best service and products to customers. There is a sense of family present. There is a common vision and purpose that people believe in.

Cons

Overall, a great place to work. The challenge can come, at times, as ideas surface faster than the ability to move on them. Though great at executing, more partnership across teams is needed to help the company move faster.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting a strong and passionate culture and o work towards clear priorities, to support the common vision and purpose.

2. Raley's- The place customers love to shop and employees love to work

Current Employee - Head Receiving Clerk
    Current Employee - Head Receiving Clerk

Pros

For the job, the pay is good, especially if you live in a place with a fairly low cost of living. There are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company if you are willing to relocate. Working only 40 hours per week is great. It allows plenty of time to do non-work related activities. When compared to many other career choices, this one is not very stressful, physically demanding, or intellectually challenging (for some this would be a downside). Overall, Raley's is a well run company with competitive pay, a nice work environment, and chances for career growth and change.

Cons

When you work at store level (not corporate), once you hit the top of the pay scale (which only takes a couple years), that's it. You'll never make more unless you want to change jobs. This is only a problem if you like what you do and don't want to change jobs. You work at a grocery store. Not exactly an illustrious career. Many of your co-workers will be very young, some will be inexperienced and unreliable, and others are there only for a short period of time (2 years or less), which affects how they look at their jobs (temporary), which in turn affects their attitudes ("Who cares" or "I'm going to do as little work as possible"), which of course affects their job performance and the overall culture at work.

Advice to Management

Before going to considerable expense to institute a new program or policy, do more research. Best practices may not be what's best for every company, just most. Make sure that you do a cost-benefit analysis based on solid, provable, unbiased information. Also, don't just discuss the possibility of a change with only the senior management. It needs to go through everybody that will be affected by the change, from the top at corporate (CEO) all the way to the bottom at store level (courtesy clerk). This will allow many potential roadblocks to be overcome before even starting the program. It will also allow management to have a more realistic grasp of the actual imoact the program will have, both good and bad.

3. Pretty chill and easy

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Modesto, CA

Pros

Not hard work Flexible hours Works around school Allows all requested days off Hour lunches Cool managers and nice employees

Cons

Not enough pay Often do work we're not supposed to Not a lot of respect from management Very busy work

Advice to Management

Less workers and more hours.

5. Best job I know of.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great pay and benefits and they treat you well.

Cons

walmart might run them out buisness soon. I don't know if they will be around much longer.

Advice to Management

I don't know what I would if I was Mike Teel. The man that created Raley's is dead and he has some big shoes to fill. In order to survive in the new age of grocery he will need to be creative, cutting employee wages will only help his bank account a little bit for a little while so I hope he fills Tom Raley's shoes better than that.

6. Good company

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the customers have been shopping at these stores for a long time and have loyalty to the company.

Cons

Low turnover in staff which means few job openings.

Advice to Management

Need to implement forward thinking for the future.

7. Great family company with strong value for customers and employees.

Current Employee - All Purpose Clerk in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - All Purpose Clerk in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Raleys/Nob Hill have tried to not treat their people with an overly corporate agenda, but more so from a commitment to their personal success and to maintaining a sense of family in the company.

Cons

The company is in a tough spot in the current market, and is beginning to downsize.

Advice to Management

Continue to always treat your employees like family and you will succeed.

8. Very friendly, positive work environment!

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you work at Raley's, your co-workers and managers almost become like family. Everyone is treated with the highest respect (customers and employee's). The atmosphere is always comfortable and positive. It is probably the best store to work at in retail. Not to mention the good pay and benefits :) Couldn't ask for more!

Cons

For people who are trying to become apart of the team, it isn't easy. I applied for 2 1/2 years before I had finally gotten the job, and I was very lucky to get the opportunity. The reason why it is so hard is because the people who work there are typically there to work for 5+ years. (Some people at my store have been there for 35 years!) . Don't take it personal, its just that positions that are filled typically stay filled.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

9. Quality family oriented buisness

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Granite Bay, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Granite Bay, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great interaction with customers, awesome co-workers made tons of friends, Paid weekly, Flexible schedule. Owners of company make an appearance in the store and treat everyone the same.

Cons

Outside a lot of the time, Angry customers, rude customers, no opportunity for advancement unless you are liked by management.

Advice to Management

Give everyone the opportunity and chance to move up in the company. Instead of keeping courtesy clerks, courtesy clerks for years when they could become a cashier or move within the store for more opportunities.

10. This has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits, and promotional opportunities. Ability to work your way up from entry level to as far as you have the ambition to go. In a world where retail jobs are under constant attack from competitive forces, there are still good opportunities in managements and leadership

Cons

It is a retail job, the hours are not always in line to have a proper balance of home and work.

11. One of the best places to work within Placerville

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Placerville, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Placerville, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees, the best co-workers you will ever work with (even before I started working here and just shopped here, you could tell everyone has a fun time and enjoys their jobs and helping our customers and town). Good hours and very flexible schedule for those of us who are students (either of High school or College). Being a college student, I am not looking for a promotion to greater responsibilities, but for those who are, you can expect them within mere months of working here. Managers are good at recognizing those who are capable of good work and promote them to higher levels quickly. Everyone in the store is always treated with the fullest respect and fairness possible. If I wasn't a college student, this is definitely the place that I would build a career at. Nearly everyone in town stops by the store on a regular basis, so I would mention getting to know the rest of Placerville as a definite pro as well. Extremely family oriented and I am proud of working for a Placerville original company since 1935.

Cons

No cons to speak of

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work! I love working for this company, and particularly for this store. Perhaps if I had to name one thing, it would be better scheduling more hours during busy times and less hours during less busy times. It seems there are always too few colleagues when we need them the most, however, I fully understand that this may be difficult to accurately forecast.

RSS Feed </> Embed