Raley's

Raley's Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel

Michael Teel

Pros
  • Good benefits for working part time (in 8 reviews)

• good hours good pay great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does NOT care about their employees (in 5 reviews)

• Union labor holds company back relative to competition (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for!

Safety, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsFriendly people, well-known in the community

ConsLow-margin industry, leading to cuts in any program that wasn't revenue-generating.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great experience, if you're at a good store

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Windsor, CA

ProsI was fortunate enough to work at a "good" store with, on the whole, good people. Because of this, there was a lot less drama and most days were pretty good ones.

ConsAs with any customer service position, customers can be infuriating. Management can sometimes make inept decisions and leave you questioning their decision making abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sugar coat bad news; we will figure out what is really happening and will feel like you're trying to undermine us. Also, i don't care what any statistics show, secret shoppers are a waste of money. They cause more trouble then they are worth and are NOT an accurate indication for an employees performance. For instance, I worked at my store for nearly four years, each of which was spent at a register as either a courtesy clerk or checker. I had a nearly perfect record of 5's on my shops by management but was never once rated by a secret shopper. If they have to start video taping us because of personal issues each shopper may have, perhaps it would be more wise to save the money Raley's is currently bleeding.

Deli Clerk: Exhausting, Repetitive,

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsI got paid $10 an hour, which seemed pretty good to me as a temporary summer worker. My fellow employees and managers were nice, and some times the customers were nice too. Once I got used to the work it became easy and it wasn't too bad when it was slow.

ConsWe were often under-staffed, not neccessarily becuase people called in sick but becuase they just didn't schedule enough of us to work. It was extremely frustrating trying to deal with a long line of people at the deli or sandwhich shop with with only one other employee. Customers often complained about us being under-staffed and could be very rude. The job is also much more physically demanding than I expected as you are on your feet all 8 hours and spend much of the time reaching into the case. I'm only 20 and my back hurt at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, especially in the deli.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

all we want are yes men/women managers

Dairy Clerk (Current Employee)

Prosmost of the peopie i work with

Consmanagers that have never run a department or wrote a order thrown a load

Advice to Senior Managementin the past to move up in this company you would work three weeks in each department with the department manager.you were trained by the best of the department managers.now all i see yes men/women..that can fill in all the blanks on paper work

Moved quickly from bagger to produce clerk, but management needs work.

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

Pros- Fun, fast paced work place
    - A lot of customer interaction
    - Good pay and flexibility for student

Cons- Management needed lots of help
    - The supply chain always relies on the one below them

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making sure your managers, store directors and assistant store directors have strong and supportive foresight to make everything run smoothly.

Very friendly, positive work environment!

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) Citrus Heights, CA

ProsWhen you work at Raley's, your co-workers and managers almost become like family. Everyone is treated with the highest respect (customers and employee's). The atmosphere is always comfortable and positive. It is probably the best store to work at in retail. Not to mention the good pay and benefits :) Couldn't ask for more!

ConsFor people who are trying to become apart of the team, it isn't easy. I applied for 2 1/2 years before I had finally gotten the job, and I was very lucky to get the opportunity. The reason why it is so hard is because the people who work there are typically there to work for 5+ years. (Some people at my store have been there for 35 years!) . Don't take it personal, its just that positions that are filled typically stay filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! :)

Once a great job, is now a min wage job with no advancement

Cashier (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsWell as they keep telling us.... be lucky you have a job... and you get 10 % off

Consworking with the public and other co-workers....... its not a family type store like it used to be. Its basically a factory type job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work environment needs to improve to bring back your customers. And you need BETTER MATTS to stand on.... I know the company is struggling and acts like they cant afford that but..... i know they can. RALEYS ONCE HAD A SLOGAN " A PLACE WHERE EMPLOYEES LOVED TO WORK AND CUSTOMERS LOVE TO SHOP" thats just not the case anymore. When you walk into the store you just see everybody not smiling.....

A good place to work

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Red Bluff, CA

ProsGood pay and room for advancement

ConsCompany changes always a different schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep schedule the same

Worker

Worker (Former Employee) Napa, CA

ProsIt's really an easy and the management is pretty relaxed.

ConsExtremely boring work and there is no autonomy.

Great Company Overall

Head Clerk (Former Employee) Redding, CA

ProsRaleys takes time and lots of effort to find the right management team for each of its stores. This makes for a very positive and professional workplace and allows all employees to work very well under this management team.

ConsWhile is used to be a fantastic place to work, it really no longer is that way. They have shifted their focus to stay current and competitive, not realize that in reality they've taken the edge off that they had over other supermarkets.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevert back to the "old days" when you truly cared about your employees and more importantly each and every customer that walks through your doors.

Worked for Raley's? Contribute to the Community!