Raley's Reviews in Sacramento, CA

Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel
Michael Teel

Pros
  • Good benefits for working part time (in 8 reviews)

• good hours good pay great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does NOT care about their employees (in 5 reviews)

• Union labor holds company back relative to competition (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great group of employees

Former Employee - Front-end Clerk  in  South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Front-end Clerk in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked as a bagger and then moved up to clerk. From the day I started, the store was filled with friendly faces. In the summer time, it it fairly common to work 40 hours a week and get some overtime. Reasonable pay raise if you stick with the company. The floor managers are all very approachable if you ever have any issues or comments. The fast pace summer really prepares you for all the types of stress. Training and learning curve is straight forward,remembering codes for vegetables is toughest part. You also get to know the locals very well, given the size of the town.

Cons

After the summer months, hours are severely cut. Sometimes you get your hours, sometime you get stuck with less. There is a lot of turnover as well, even from my last day a year ago to now, the top level management is completely different.

Careful about over-hiring

Great Company - Great People

Current Employee - Senior Director of Labor Relations  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Labor Relations in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time for less than a year

Pros

A family owned highly ethical company with exceptional leadership and great business practices. A very friendly workforce that is highly engaged in their work and always striving to exceed customer expectations.

Cons

I really can't identify any negatives about this business. It is a business that listens to it's people and is always thinking about ways to improve the customer shopping experience.

Keep up the good work!

Good company to work for!

Current Employee - Head Meat Cutter  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Head Meat Cutter in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is still a customer orientated and offers quality products and the office still knows who you are you don't feel like a number . The company policies are realistic and advancement is great!

Cons

the company has grown in the past 10yrs and slowly becoming like your Safeway and Kroger style grocery stores

listen to the ol timers that built Raleys to what it is ...but you'll have to see them at home they all have retired now. the peter principal is taking effect now days... incompetent yes men at the helm ...YA THINK... YOU BET!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ozark Trucking ( Raley's trucking company)

Former Employee - Accounts Payable/Receptionist  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable/Receptionist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable, laid back atmosphere . I worked in the accounting office and enjoyed my couple of years there. Management was nice and made you feel like you mattered. Only reason I left was I took a job in the public sector, big mistake as I eventually got laid off due to budget cuts. If I had stayed at Ozark at least I'd still have a somehwat secure job.

Cons

Pay was a bit low but for the level of work I did it was acceptable. At the time I was there several of my co-workers were very negative -gossipy types who created a constant bad atmosphere bad mouthing each other and management behind their backs, while smiling in their faces. I hated that and its what motivated me to look elsewhere for another job.

None- they did a good job.

they're going young, the older head clerks 40 yrs and up. Are being asked to step down

Current Employee - Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

20 years ago it was a good job

Cons

directors cant make a decision without calling human resource, district manger's head is not in the game

grow a pair, make a decision

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time

Pros

Company wants to grow again and do big things.

Cons

Union labor holds company back relative to competition.

Decent

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Minimum of 24 hours a week

Cons

Horrible managment, late hours and same shifts.

Work!

Good then a lot of changes

Former Employee - No Need  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - No Need in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Used to have very good team work

Cons

Many upper and middle management changes so processes and procedures changed and few could communicate what was really wanted. Still struggling to find and follow a defined path due to economy.

Choose people that know what they are doing vs ones that treat you well and tell you what you want to hear. Culture was much better prior to family getting back involved.

IT has an unusually diverse mix of technologies, better opportunities for System Admins than for development.

Former Employee - Software Engineer III  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great individuals working there have been with the company over 30 years.

Cons

Enterprise feel. Large, slow, expensive changes relying heavily on vendor relationships. Generally low morale.

Encourage innovation and growth in your support center with the same zeal you do in your stores.

One of the best places to work within Placerville

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Placerville, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Placerville, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees, the best co-workers you will ever work with (even before I started working here and just shopped here, you could tell everyone has a fun time and enjoys their jobs and helping our customers and town). Good hours and very flexible schedule for those of us who are students (either of High school or College). Being a college student, I am not looking for a promotion to greater responsibilities, but for those who are, you can expect them within mere months of working here. Managers are good at recognizing those who are capable of good work and promote them to higher levels quickly. Everyone in the store is always treated with the fullest respect and fairness possible. If I wasn't a college student, this is definitely the place that I would build a career at. Nearly everyone in town stops by the store on a regular basis, so I would mention getting to know the rest of Placerville as a definite pro as well. Extremely family oriented and I am proud of working for a Placerville original company since 1935.

Cons

No cons to speak of

Keep up the excellent work! I love working for this company, and particularly for this store. Perhaps if I had to name one thing, it would be better scheduling more hours during busy times and less hours during less busy times. It seems there are always too few colleagues when we need them the most, however, I fully understand that this may be difficult to accurately forecast.

Worked for Raley's? Contribute to the Community!