Rally Marketing Group Reviews

2.9
Kelly Parriott

Great Work, Great People

I have been working at Rally Marketing Group

Pros

You can do great work -- in the past year alone we've won at Cannes, Mobile Marketing Assoc., Ex, and, this week as usual, we have as many Addy Award winners as many (if not all) of the major holding company a agencies in our market
    Work/Life Balance is good as, yes, we sometimes work late or on weekends -- but only when a big project is due or a big pitch in coming up

Cons

As an independent, scrappy shop -- even though we have 4 offices -- you have to wear more than one hat at times and, while exciting, it can also be challenging. You will, however, learn a lot

Advice to Management

Keep growing the people and bringing on people who out the work first because this is the basis of the special and focused culture of our agency

Worst experience ever

I worked at Rally Marketing Group

Pros

The employees were a band of brothers trying to overcome the craziness and inexperience of management.

Cons

Constant turnover. Need to pitch business that we couldn't do and had no experience in. From the account side, it was the worst experience, feeling like you were cheating clients.

It's About the Work

I have been working at Rally Marketing Group

Pros

If you want to do great work, work on national (real) brands, and be recognized by winning awards and being promoted, Rally is a great place. If you have a passion for advertising and creative work, you will love it. If you want to be judged on your talent and skill -- and be challenged as opposed to being coddled -- it s a place that will help you grow. Toxic people who like to gossip as a way of making excuses for their lack of talent or commitment won't/don't last (like with a lot of people who have been asked to leave other companies, they wind up on sites like this one anonymously spewing unsubstantiated vitriol to make up for their lack of success). I'm glad I work at a place that doesn't put up with these kind of people

Cons

With growth ( there are offices in Seattle, Portland, Dallas, New York) it's aometimes harder to get key team members together for meetings, etc. but it seems to be working out better. Clients in cities all over the country results in a lot of travel sometimes

Advice to Management

In our meetings you always talk about the work always needing to be great and pushing clients to be brave. keep it up and know that for the few who couldn't cut it here, the reasons why they were let go are obvious in a couple new posts on glass door. We know who they are and it shows you guys made the right decision.

Rally is a toxic place. Plain and simple.

I have been working at Rally Marketing Group

Pros

Nice office location. Fairly decent benefits for a small firm but not for the Seattle market.

Cons

Rally is always overstating or misrepresenting who and what they are...they certainly are trying to be the little engine that could but after losing business their client roster is not up to date and though they want to have an "agency" culture they are so out of touch they just dictate and disempower people. Leadership is out of touch with the company culture they have created.

A day in the life of Rally is frequent abusive discourse or inappropriate comments and behavior by leadership. There is a lot of finger pointing, passing the buck, verbal abuse and even chair throwing which is tolerated there.

Rally treats it's middle managers and individual contributors as disposable and for such a small company it is mind blowing. Their attrition is horrendous and a good case study for Change Management, which should start at the top.

This is a company to stay away from...their gratitude to staff equates to a $100 bonus given at their holiday party.

Advice to Management

Hire management consultants.

The Cold, Sad Truth

I worked at Rally Marketing Group

Pros

Young, small company
    Pretty central to Downtown

Cons

Unless you're a part of the Exec Team, you're not a valued employee. Everything comes top down. The company meetings you do have are basically lies / smoke and mirrors of what's to come of the "exciting opportunities ahead" - but unless you're senior level, you won't touch the work. There is no collaboration or opportunity for growth - so if you want a career, forget about this place. Once you're placed in a role, you'll stay there with no way up or out. The rumor mill there is atrocious; I've heard and personally witnessed characteristics of the leadership team I couldn't believe, it's a shame really. The leadership team is a little outdated if you ask me, with that, thinking they're still current and their ideas / tactics are relevant; however they're not quick enough to adopt to the ever changing landscape of technology, social media and marketing (they use Facebook like it's 2007). The office is quiet, moody and toxic. The creative team acts like toddlers, where internal meetings have ended with chairs being thrown or discriminatory language used towards people, it's disgusting. Rally should really be a sales company- they're really good liars, can nail a pitch, but with poor follow through of work. I was not a fan of the 401k plan; PTO doesn't get any better the longer you're there & I wouldn't say this place encourages vacations. The pay is sub-par, no bonuses (you get $100 bill during Christmas), hard to get promotions, so you're really stuck with what you come in at. All in all, Rally is really good at manipulation; they'll hook you (over-promise) and then under-deliver.

Advice to Management

Take time to invest in your employees and develop them because 100% of new employees come in excited and leave with spite.
    Don't just take on new clients because they're a big brand - make sure you have a willing and able team in place
    Quit over-promising and under-delivering (very big theme here)
    You don't know everything - try listening to your younger employees, you'll be surprised by their talents
    It's not all about the money

toxic smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rally Marketing Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

office is convenient to the main downtown Seattle bus routes

Cons

toxic management team trying to make the place look like a lot more than it is. Watch your back and know that no matter how much you might think you're appreciated, you're expendable. Leaders value only their own career, connections and future. Ask who current, paying clients are, it won't be what you see on the website.

Advice to Management

Clean house at the top and add someone focused on business development. Bring in someone who can sell digital capabilities because there's a good team who can deliver on that work. Treat people like human beings, not like objects. Build a real culture once there's a new team driving the business.

Have no illusions about a career here

I worked at Rally Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible, the pay is fair and the people you work with are really nice....although there is so much turnover that this may not be true in the future.

Cons

I like to think of Rally as a rest stop on your way to the final destination. Everyone is nice and the clients are great, but have no illusions that this will be a career position. There is no "team" environment or any semblance of loyalty due to the simple fact that the turnover is so unbelievably high. They hire and fire at a dizzying pace with no interest in developing the people who already work there. I have seen this happen to probably 30+ people while at the company (which is significant since they only have about 30 people that work there.) The result of their call center hire/fire mentality is poor morale, mediocre work and client distrust.

Advice to Management

You are only as good as your employees. If you continue to run the company like a seasonal costume shop, you'll continue your apparent commitment to barely treading water.

Rally Marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rally Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard working people. Interesting clients. Nice office. The new President is strong and experienced, but allows herself to be overly influenced by a few executives.

Cons

Most everything comes from the top down. Take your orders and move along. Leadership tells you feedback is welcomed, but in many cases discards it if it does not agree with them. Talk is cheap - actions speak. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Way too much clout in the creative & account teams. It takes a variety of contributors to make a company successful. The managers of these two groups have substantial influence and control over the company - and are not particularly interested in collaboration.

Potential for some great work but lacking structure/leadership

I worked at Rally Marketing Group full-time

Pros

-Met some very talented and motivated individuals
    -Interesting clients that provide opportunity for unique projects
    -Transparent

Cons

-No room for upward mobility
    -High turnover
    -Lack of leadership/structure

Advice to Management

-Find ways to create a better company culture
    -Find ways to build employee retention

Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Rally Marketing Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Flexible Schedule. Competitive Pay. Works with clients that are actually relevant.

Cons

I formerly worked in operations, which is now outsourced to other experiential companies. So that is more of a conflict of interest for me than a con of working for the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed