Rally Software

www.rallydev.com

Rally Software Reviews

Updated May 22, 2014

Tim Miller

Pros
  • Work-life balance has always been an important part of the culture(in 29 reviews)

• There are great, smart people are everywhere in the company(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is partially made up for by the work/life balance, but dollars are dollars(in 4 reviews)

• I was an intern, and it's really difficult to get a full time position(in 3 reviews)

Not in Kansas anymore

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGreat culture and work environment

ConsHuge changes over the last twelve months, not all for the better. The culture that we had is being eroded by sheer number of new employees.

Rally's changed for the worse since going public

ProsRally's product roadmap is improving as well as the UI. Work-life balance has always been an important part of the culture. Enablement for sales and product teams. Rally for Impact and giving back to the community. Stock options.

ConsThe blitz of hiring in sales sliced and diced territories, which led to middle layers of management. The organization could care less about the people or their opinions anymore...it's all about numbers. Experienced veterans in sales and marketing are dropping like flies due to disorganization. TOO MANY MEETINGS!

Outstanding Company Culture

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGreat work-life balance
    Coworkers genuinely care about your personal success
    Values-driven leadership that is seen through from top to bottom of the organization
    Ability to "create your own reality" and craft a role that is beneficial to both you and the organization
    All ideas are valued - no sense of hierarchy

ConsGrowing from a startup to a large organization so quickly, some processes may not be as streamlined as they could be

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that the culture stays just as positive as Rally continues to grow by hiring leaders and employees that relish Rally's unique take.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been great!

Major Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsRally has always been a place where I've felt empowered and want to go to work.

ConsRally is growing rapidly. What has been a very collaborative transparent environment is starting to seem a little more command and control.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with what got you to where you are today. Keep walking the Agile walk. The culture is starting to change and hard to maintain.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Terrific place to work!

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGood benefits, collaborative environment, fast paced growth, work/life balance, intelligent co-workers

ConsGrowth is changing some of the core values. Less visibility and input into major decisions.

Love Working at Rally

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsRally is an agile company and really practices what it teaches. Management believes in quality and proves it through supporting practices such as extensive pair programming.

I've never worked with such a smart and supportive group of engineers before. Through collaborating with a team of smart people, I've learned a great deal and become a much better developer than when I started. I've never learned so much so quickly.

ConsRally has a highly collaborative culture and it's difficult to maintain this across the remote offices.

Also be aware that even as an engineer, communication and collaboration are key skills. If you're the type of developer that likes to shut your office door for four hours and work without interruption, Rally isn't a good fit.

Only certain employees get respect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork/life balance is excellent
    Benefits are above average
    Casual Atmosphere
    Employee celebrations
    I don't have to work there anymore

ConsA lot of animosity between offices.
    Great/passionate employees are fired or quit. Sub-par employees stay.
    Employees are treated differently depending how "in" they are with executives.
    Very quick to fire. Mistakes are not tolerated.
    Most unprofessional human resources team I have ever dealt with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees deserve respect, regardless of their position/status in the company.

Fading prospects

ProsI've been working for Rally for more than 3 years and used to love it. There are great, smart people are everywhere in the company. Offices in Boulder are cool and there's a casual spirit of camaraderie. There's also a sense of righteous mission that can really pull people together.

ConsRally seems to be losing a focus on agility and focusing exclusively on tool adoption. Ironically this leads to a poor tool experience and disconnected services organization. Since the IPO there's a feeling that we want to be more like IBM than AirBnB—we want to be the platform of choice not a market disruptor.

As an employee there's no clear path for advancement and, as a remote employee, there's little recognition, guidance, or connection to the larger culture. My perception is that there's a big difference from being in Boulder or one of the other offices to being on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate and empower an innovation/R&D team focused on organizational agility that is truly cross functional. Focus on helping remote employees feel connected to the culture. Create a mentorship program to nurture careers—don't just depend on employees "creating their own reality."

Floundering

ProsRally can provide a pretty open, flexible and engaging company culture. Decent opportunity to learn new things, if you work at it. Company events like ski day are fun.

ConsFocus on quarter-over-quarter financials since the IPO has shifted attention away from true innovation. While there's been a pivot towards overhauling the core tool's UX/UI, the user experience has been neglected for so long that it's an uphill battle just to maintain parity with simpler tools that provide a modern web experience. Hiring focus is weighted heavily towards sales/marketing while attracting talent to R&D is a struggle. Work/life balance suffers due to a core seat growth, while understaffed in key technical and operational areas. As a result, opportunities for professional growth are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't neglect R&D to focus strictly on driving short term revenue growth. A great product can sell itself without an accompanying army.

Lack of direction, poor management, no possibility of advancement

ProsGreat work life balance. Decent level of trust. Some interesting technologies and good chance to move around and try new things (if you're in the Boulder office)

ConsNon-Boulder offices are second class citizens. No real leadership or direction. Main product has hardly changed at all in past three years. Interest in quality has been waining and replaced with an attitude of "ehh, it works..." Passionate people are leaving, disinterested people are staying.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what got Rally where it is. Stop the gradual choking of engineering and bring back an environment that fosters innovation and quality.

Worked for Rally Software? Contribute to the Community!