Ralphs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
David Dillon

Pros
  • Flexible hours to work for part-time (in 10 reviews)

• learn many good skills make good friends give benefits to full time or part time employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to the union workers there but twice the work (in 13 reviews)

• Minimum wage for too much work, high union sign on (in 9 reviews)

Courtesy Clerk Turned Combo

Former Employee - Combo in Sun Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Combo in Sun Valley, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly, easy enough for those who don't want something difficult but challenging enough where it isn't mind numbing. Some really great managers who KNOW what they're talking about. Flexible schedule for those who have a life outside of work or go to school. It's pretty easy to move up in the company, you do have to put in work, but there are some people that I honestly have no idea how they have the position they have...

Cons

I was promoted after 3 months of working to be a combo (courtesy clerk/ cashier) and I was told I would be getting a raise. I didn't and after being trained I was being put on the register for almost entire full shifts because managers weren't available to be on or they didn't schedule enough cashiers. Being a cashier is twice the work with memorization and constantly appeasing customers, it's crap that I have to do this and then do all the other duties required of me as a courtesy clerk. It's basically an underpaid cashier job. I never received my W-2 on time and I didn't get it until mid MARCH because I constantly pestered my supervisors until they did something about it. If I didn't question it, tey wouldn't have cared. Schedules are never consistent, you can be accustomed to closing and then they suddenly have you opening instead. Also be part of the company you need to be part of the union and regardless about what I called about they could never help me with anything and it was very frustrating to be paying dues and not know what their purpose was.

Advice to Management

Better schedules. I know you care about most of your employees and yes this is a job but to constantly put them under a constant amount of pressure because you don't know how to schedule or keep yourself on the register like you should doesn't mean every one else should suffer.

2. Current Grocery Manager

Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Weekly pay And also the pay is good if you have been working there for a long time the old timers make double what new hires make

Cons

When this company was actually Ralphs and not A Kroger brand things went a lot smoother granted a lot has changed over the years for the better but a lot for the worse micromanagement overworked with not enough hours to get the work done

Advice to Management

Tell me about 5 to 7 years all of us old timers will be gone it will be a terrible company and you guys will pay the price

3. Courtesy Clerk

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Mission Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Mission Hills, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers. The job is not to challenging if ur able to stay on ur feet for long periods of time.

Cons

They may call you into work at any time.

5. Grocery clerk

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the flexibility of the schedule to accomadate an active family life

Cons

With minimum wage going up it is not as good of a paying job as it once was

Advice to Management

To treat their employees with straight forward honesty

6. Comb clerk

Pros

Close to my house good people to work with

Cons

Not enough hours pay was low

7. Meat Clerk

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ralphs (More than 5 years)

Pros

Double time holiday pay -- thats pretty much it.

Cons

No work/life balance at all.

Horrible and overworked bakery department manager.

Former Employee - Bakery Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Bakery Manager in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can only think of one thing the benefits for being union were good. Also probably getting paid weekly. That is about it no real pros at all.

Cons

Horrible support from the team. Upper management does not provide enough labor hours to get the job done and successfully run the department without worrying about getting yelled at for things not being done. Tons of plus outs for holidays that made managing inventory difficult. Very little pay for the high demand job that is expected as well as no opportunity to advance.

Advice to Management

Share some more respect to your hard working department managers. Provide them with the hours required to run a department successfully instead of yelling at them for things not getting done!

9. Combo Clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

A good fora first job.

Cons

Horrible pay, no advancement, childish management.

10. Clerk

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job for students or anyone one looking for a job with a flexible schedule. You can also meet a lot of interesting people.

Cons

Low starting pay rate. Will be over worked and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Look to promote those who earn it. Try not to play favorites.

Slavery Still Exists

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many funny and good hearted souls who work there. There are "certain ways" to get more hours at the store. They have a union. There are lots of opportunies for cross training. You can shop where you work and get coupons and member points which lead to more coupons for saving on your groceries.

Cons

Racism, sexism, and all around descrimination exist within the store. The pay is total crap unless you get promoted right away and work there for 20 years. The management is a joke. The way they deal with employee issues is unprofessional for a company so established (I guess I had higher expectations when I started). They mean to work you to death if you hang in there and put up with everything.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be trained better on how to deal with employees socially. Management does not know what "constructive" criticism is or how to implement it when dealing with employee issues. Management should have to take mandatory sensitivity training.

RSS Feed </> Embed