Ralphs Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
2.6

David Dillon

Pros
  • If you are looking for a part-time job, Ralphs is good because they have flexible hours (in 10 reviews)

• Job security: You have to be a real idiot to get fired after your 2-month probation (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to the union workers there but twice the work (in 13 reviews)

• Don't even try to work there unless you're willing to sell your soul to a company that pays barely over minimum wage (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A good starter Job

Former Employee - Cashier in South Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in South Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- hours are flexible
    - many positions to move up to

Cons

- if you don't speak up, the managers will over work you and keep you past your scheduled time off
    - its hard to transfer out of a department
    - you might be required to accomplish more tasks than time will allow
    - you will have to work several different departments in one shift

Haven't worked there since 2010, so I'm not sure what management is like now. Hopefully it has improved.

Ralph's used to be a very good company to work for.

Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Because of our union we make a decent wage, have good benefits, and some managers can be very flexible about school scheduling.

Cons

Because of greed the minimum required 24 hours a week keep most employees on an uncertain economic footing. Also expecting employees to imitate the Energizer Bunny is a recipe for disaster.

Treat your employees like living breathing human beings and you will be surprised by all the hard work and dedication. RESPECT + fairness = happy, hard-working employees.

Not fun

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ralphs part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent benefits flexible hours. learn many good skills make good friends give benefits to full time or part time employees

Cons

Need to know someone high up in management to get promotion. if you don't speak up management walks all over you. company does not pay enough for higher positions in the Store. The company works employees like DOGS. If your department manager no flexible hours and union sucks ufcw324 not good

Better pay and treat your employees like human beings

Cashier Position

Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working part time at Ralphs is great if your a student but looking for flexible hours.

Cons

Management is unorganized could do a better job.

N/A

Courtesy Clerk

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They were really accommodating with my school schedule and my other job. Tasks can be varied. Interesting customers everyday.

Cons

Your experience will be largely based on how well you get along with the "keys." Being in school prevented me from many opportunities for growth within the company. 10 managers to manage 5 people.

Great experience, worked almo 29 years in lots of different locations throughout the Corporate Offices. Retired in 2010

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and great career. This used to be all union but now there are quite a few jobs that are no longer union. Benefits are good, parent company is Kroger out of Cincinnati, OH.

Cons

Working for the company now is very different as our parent company Kroger is very anti-union and has tried and succeeded in taking away union positions. Most people I know that work there are very unhappy and looking forward to retiring asap...

The Ralphs and Food 4 Less original employee's are great people. Instead of supporting your employee's at Ralphs / Food 4 Less you have done everything within your power to destroy their self worth. Ralphs has been around for many years, maybe you should try and learn from the employees who made it a great company.

Difficult to please employers

Current Employee - Cashier in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job is very easy to maintain schedule wise if you need some flexibility with your availability. Usually you just let the managers know when you are available and they will work with you. Most of the stores that I had worked at had an amazing team of employees which made the job easier to get through. In the end, it's a good job to introduce you to the work force.

Cons

It is very difficult to get promoted with this company and the ones who do get promoted, the ones you have to call your managers, are a-holes and don't know how to treat the employees. The expectancy of the corporate end is ridiculous because they expect you to handle 2983475 things at once and still have a big smile on your face. It is just a sad little company that doesn't know what they're doing at times.

Buckle down, get your stuff done, and be nice to the ones who have to face the crowds upon crowds of customers everyday while you sit and hide in your offices.

Courtesy Clerk/Combo

Current Employee - Combo in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Combo in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time

Pros

Work with school schedule, different schedule (time shifts you can work) if you are in school

Cons

not enough pay, always more task to do, say bye to all holidays!!

Need to stop worrying about que vision and help employees!!

Bakery Clerk / Cashier

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Cashier in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Cashier in Brea, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were very nice and worked well as a team. While I was there the culture was more like a family but that was just with low level employees. Very flexible with students going to college or high school. They do give options to motivated employees to move to different positions. It was an ok job while I went to school but I would not recommend it for long term employment.

Cons

Did not like the way upper management ran that specific location. The pressure put onto employees to reach sale quotas and production quotas were outrageous. There was a high amount of stress put on department managers and employees for very little pay and recognition. They wanted the impossible to be achieved high a low amount of staff and restricted hours.

The company values and standards need to be achieved but not at the cost of committing unethical acts.

My experience at Ralphs was pleasant and went as expected.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule.
    Many different tasks to do.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow in the company.
    Stand on your feet all day.

Find a way to make the bottom employees feel like they matter.

Ralphs Photos

chow time
office and field personel outing
after beach bugchi