Ralphs

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.6

David Dillon

Pros
  • If you are looking for a part-time job, Ralphs is good because they have flexible hours (in 10 reviews)

• learn many good skills make good friends give benefits to full time or part time employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to the union workers there but twice the work (in 13 reviews)

• Don't even try to work there unless you're willing to sell your soul to a company that pays barely over minimum wage (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The one I worked at was pretty f up. Not sure how else to put it.

Former Employee - G M C
    Former Employee - G M C

I worked at Ralphs

Pros

You did have a few good tteammates

Cons

The main manager an assistant manager were sadly racist.

Hire a management team that doesn't treat workers like crap due to skin color but instead on job performance and skills.

It's complicated...

Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute. Like the customers. Most of the employees are friendly and helpful. Enjoy the fast pace in the Deli Service Area.

Cons

Most of my co-workers do not seem to care about their jobs. They don't put product away after using it. They do't clean slicers or counters. It looks like a war zone about 75% of the time. Food everywhere. Sandwich station is never fully stocked. Management doesn't seem to care. They continuye to give more hours to the worst employees. Don't get it. They break so many rules & there are no consequences. Don't get it.

Enforce the rules. Being on time, not eating or drinking in the Deli/Bakery areas. Use of equipment. Do reviews. The new employees who started when I did have never had the 30 day review. Never had the 90 day review when our probationary was over. We didn't know if we were going to kept on or not. We only knew when the next weeks schedule came out. Speaking to emp[loyees and ask before you decide to train them in another area. Give them reasons why you as a Manager want them to be crtssed trained. Let employees know what other departments are also in need & ask if they are interested in any of them.

The training is not good. It's sink or swim. Not impressed. I do really like the store & it's people. Want to see it do better. Need stronger leadership.

Awful!

Current Employee - Combo Clerk in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Combo Clerk in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the people I work with. They're like family to me. If it weren't for them, I would've left years ago.

Cons

You're so overworked, it's just ridiculous. And there's absolutely no room for growth. Don't even try to work there unless you're willing to sell your soul to a company that pays barely over minimum wage. They insist that there's flexible schedule so you can have a balance between work and life. No, there is absolutely no balance. You can ask for a day off, but they'll get mad and cut your hours because you aren't 'dedicated.' Even if it's for a valid reason. And don't even think about calling in sick unless you want to be yelled at over the phone and told to come in anyways. It's a lot of favoritism. The managers are cool people when they aren't on their power trips.

You need more incentives. I see people working so hard to make this company the best it can be, and they just get talked down too. Most of us have stopped caring. We need raises. We need better promotions. My store makes forecast almost everyday, and what do we get? Cut hours. Stop giving the managers these incentives when it's the employees on the floor and are the reason customers come back. We know these customers, we've built relationships with them. They come back for us, not the managers who screw everything up every time they come to the front end. Try showing your employees that you care.

Good if you know people.......

Current Employee - Service Deli Manager in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Service Deli Manager in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, union benefits, easy to move around if needed, possible quick promotion time.

Cons

hours could change weekly, promotions can be a pain, people easily turn against you.

Make sure your actually promoting people who deserve management.. Just not those you have relationships with.

front end manager

Former Employee - Front End Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people and good money for management. Great opportunity for promotions if you are a women.

Cons

terrible moral bad attitudes makes it very hard to complete unrealistic expectations

get rid of the union so you get have people that want to be there.

Meat Cutter

I worked at Ralphs

Pros

Decent pay, nice people to work with

Cons

Benefits are not what they used to be

Great company

I worked at Ralphs

Pros

good culture, benefits are very good

Cons

busy, long hours and many work days a week

Worst place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Night Stocker in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Night Stocker in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are unemployed, then a job is a job. And in the America of the 20teens that is better than nothing. But therein lies my point.

Cons

Everything: Hours suck, wages suck worse. Management is living in the Dark Ages. But hey, this is the America that Fiscal Conservatives wanted for you, me, and everyone else.

Attempt to consider the fact that the day I stop working on your slave ship that I will still be a member of your community. Treat me like dirt, and I will never enter your premises again. Get it! Then tell that to your rude, arrogant group of Hessian managers.

Following the footsteps of Walmart.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at Ralphs part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to interact with customers.

Cons

You have to keep records of your work hours because the upper management likes to play GAMES and play OOPS and looses your hours from your paycheck. Once that happens , you have to constantly remind them to add the missing hours to your next paycheck. YOU have to remind them or they "FORGET". This happens in all department while the CEO's paycheck and bonus skyrockets .

Take care of your hard working people. They work hard to make you money.

Ralphs put me through college, and four years since, but for that very reason I would not recommend anyone working there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best things about working at Ralphs are the medical/dental benefits, flexible schedule, and independent job duties

Cons

The work 'culture' or atmosphere is very underwhelming. I wish I would have gone the route of working at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in that respect. Individuality is not encouraged. Additionally, I did not feel like I fit in there. Most people who work at Ralph's are not educated and are working to support their families.

Become a place that people love to work. Hire more employees so no one is killing themself. You will probably save money because there will be no overtime. Create more employee incentives. Hire more educated people. Reconsider your pay scale. Cashiers should top out at 14 an hour, while department and gm members should top out at 20.

Ralphs Photos

chow time
office and field personel outing
after beach bugchi