Ralphs Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
156 reviews filtered by

Great for while you're in school

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Ralphs

Pros

They work with your schedule, offer excellent benefits, and you also have the opportunity to work in several different departments where you gain skills and experience.

Cons

You have to work holidays, it's impossible to get full time, and as a bookkeeper, you don't get paid nearly enough considering the amount of work you do and trust they instill in you. Also, with regards to working in the departments, (bakery, service deli, etc.) it is almost impossible to finish all of your work with the amount of time they give you.

Appreciate your employees more. They work so hard for such little pay, especially those on the new contract. Also, don't give your employees extra tasks and still expect them to get out on time.

2. Positive CoWorkers, Negative Boss

Former Employee - Cashier in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CoWorkers are so sweet, and always willing to help, it was like our own little family.

Cons

There was a lack of communication, and always negative reinforcement from upper management.

Learn to listen to your employees, don't be so negative because it doesn't make any situation better

3. It is a good experience

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I have been working at Ralphs

Pros

If you're in high school or college, good place to make some cash.

Cons

If managers are stress then you could end up stress.

5. Welcome, high schoolers

Former Employee - Deli Clerk
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent enough pay for a kid, and it's nice to have the local Unions around

Cons

Hard to advance in pay

When the food gets coded out of the bakery and deli, let the employees munch. High morale = increased efficiency

6. Perfect for a first job!

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great team to work with
    -Very flexible schedule
    -One of the very few places that will consider hiring you if you're younger than 18
    -Great for developing skills such as communication, sense of responsibility, customer service, teamwork
    -Possibilities for advancement once you are over 18
    -Kroger may accommodate you with a job elsewhere when you move for college

Cons

-Higher turnover rate, including front-end/store management
    -Tendency to schedule insufficient labor, stressful during rushes
    -Long-term benefits package/career in general with company can seem unappealing

7. Great for teens and college students.

Current Employee - Cashier, Bagger, Bakery, Deli, Overnights in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier, Bagger, Bakery, Deli, Overnights in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule, very easy job so low stress if your in school and plenty of different departments to find something that you enjoy.

Cons

Low pay and Union dues. If you don't sign up to pay like I did then I you can get fired or pay back payments. Also the corporate and district managers do not care about you but the store level managers are pretty decent. Also the discount is only 10% and only on store brands which amounts to very little use.

There needs to be a better system for combo clerks. Maybe an electronic time stop of when logged into the register because keeping track of that is laughable when it's busy and combos almost never get paid for it.

8. $9.70 an hour to work in their Deli, but ended up basically being a janitor for the Deli.

Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Friendly co-workers and for the most part customers, put in same situation.

Cons

$9.70 an hour to work in their Deli, but ended up basically being a janitor for the Deli. They say they care about Customer Service, but really they don't, otherwise they would allow changes. Store Manager told me I couldn't take directions from a women. If that were true I wouldn't be so good with the customers, (50% women) as told by the Deli Manager herself.

Do not lie to potential employees, I was told I would be working in the Deli with Customer Service, but after a week I found out my job was basically to clean up after morning crew, NO teamwork at all and Manager unwilling to change. No wonder this Ralph's get bad reviews on customer service, all employees are not happy, because an afternoon employee can clean for 6 hours, and still not get to everything. I took a lot of pictures in the first week, very bad sanitation.

9. Horrible Corporate attitude

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work in a grocery store

Cons

As your salary increases, company looks for ways to get rid of you so they can bring in someone newer and cheaper.

Show some loyalty to your employees.

10. I can do better but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (less than a year)

Pros

boss is nice, like my schedule, coworkers help when I need it and the job is not too hard. A good place to work.

Cons

I don't really see having a career there. I don't live too close but thats just me... some people are lazy. I personally feel like all there prices are too high lol but I'm cheap...

None there good !

11. Great experience

Former Intern - Pharmacy Intern
    Former Intern - Pharmacy Intern

I worked at Ralphs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Their pharmacy computer system is very well organized. Staffs were friendly and willing to teach me their systems. Overall, it was a good experience.

Cons

Their pharmacy business is very slow (which could be good for ones who do not like fast paced environment though)

Ralphs Photos

chow time
office and field personel outing
after beach bugchi