Ralphs

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.9

David Dillon

Pros
  • If you are looking for a part-time job, Ralphs is good because they have flexible hours (in 10 reviews)

• learn many good skills make good friends give benefits to full time or part time employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to the union workers there but twice the work (in 13 reviews)

• Don't even try to work there unless you're willing to sell your soul to a company that pays barely over minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Bakery Clerk / Cashier

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Cashier in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Cashier in Brea, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were very nice and worked well as a team. While I was there the culture was more like a family but that was just with low level employees. Very flexible with students going to college or high school. They do give options to motivated employees to move to different positions. It was an ok job while I went to school but I would not recommend it for long term employment.

Cons

Did not like the way upper management ran that specific location. The pressure put onto employees to reach sale quotas and production quotas were outrageous. There was a high amount of stress put on department managers and employees for very little pay and recognition. They wanted the impossible to be achieved high a low amount of staff and restricted hours.

The company values and standards need to be achieved but not at the cost of committing unethical acts.

My experience at Ralphs was pleasant and went as expected.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule.
    Many different tasks to do.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow in the company.
    Stand on your feet all day.

Find a way to make the bottom employees feel like they matter.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Cashier in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Riverside, CA

I worked at Ralphs (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good part time job with flexible hours if you dont mind working nights and weekends.

Cons

working weekends, nights and holidays. Not enough hours they schedule the minimum

Good for what I needed

Former Employee - Combo Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Combo Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got the job as a full time community college student. I was looking to work as much as I could, I worked between 25-48 hours per week. You can block out a couple of days for school and still get quite a few hours. The pay sucks a bagger/combo clerk--if you decide to make it your career you can make up to about 20 dollars working the register. After I went away to college, they even hired me back for 2 weeks and I was told that I could come back whenever I was home for school.

Cons

Minimum wage job for new hires

29 great years

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Compton, CA
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Compton, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Great advancement opportunities.

Cons

Union shop makes it tough to manage.

Promote within.

Difficult to please employers

Current Employee - Cashier in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job is very easy to maintain schedule wise if you need some flexibility with your availability. Usually you just let the managers know when you are available and they will work with you. Most of the stores that I had worked at had an amazing team of employees which made the job easier to get through. In the end, it's a good job to introduce you to the work force.

Cons

It is very difficult to get promoted with this company and the ones who do get promoted, the ones you have to call your managers, are a-holes and don't know how to treat the employees. The expectancy of the corporate end is ridiculous because they expect you to handle 2983475 things at once and still have a big smile on your face. It is just a sad little company that doesn't know what they're doing at times.

Buckle down, get your stuff done, and be nice to the ones who have to face the crowds upon crowds of customers everyday while you sit and hide in your offices.

The one I worked at was pretty f up. Not sure how else to put it.

Former Employee - G M C
    Former Employee - G M C

I worked at Ralphs

Pros

You did have a few good tteammates

Cons

The main manager an assistant manager were sadly racist.

Hire a management team that doesn't treat workers like crap due to skin color but instead on job performance and skills.

It's complicated...

Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Service Deli Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute. Like the customers. Most of the employees are friendly and helpful. Enjoy the fast pace in the Deli Service Area.

Cons

Most of my co-workers do not seem to care about their jobs. They don't put product away after using it. They do't clean slicers or counters. It looks like a war zone about 75% of the time. Food everywhere. Sandwich station is never fully stocked. Management doesn't seem to care. They continuye to give more hours to the worst employees. Don't get it. They break so many rules & there are no consequences. Don't get it.

Enforce the rules. Being on time, not eating or drinking in the Deli/Bakery areas. Use of equipment. Do reviews. The new employees who started when I did have never had the 30 day review. Never had the 90 day review when our probationary was over. We didn't know if we were going to kept on or not. We only knew when the next weeks schedule came out. Speaking to emp[loyees and ask before you decide to train them in another area. Give them reasons why you as a Manager want them to be crtssed trained. Let employees know what other departments are also in need & ask if they are interested in any of them.

The training is not good. It's sink or swim. Not impressed. I do really like the store & it's people. Want to see it do better. Need stronger leadership.

Awful!

Current Employee - Combo Clerk in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Combo Clerk in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the people I work with. They're like family to me. If it weren't for them, I would've left years ago.

Cons

You're so overworked, it's just ridiculous. And there's absolutely no room for growth. Don't even try to work there unless you're willing to sell your soul to a company that pays barely over minimum wage. They insist that there's flexible schedule so you can have a balance between work and life. No, there is absolutely no balance. You can ask for a day off, but they'll get mad and cut your hours because you aren't 'dedicated.' Even if it's for a valid reason. And don't even think about calling in sick unless you want to be yelled at over the phone and told to come in anyways. It's a lot of favoritism. The managers are cool people when they aren't on their power trips.

You need more incentives. I see people working so hard to make this company the best it can be, and they just get talked down too. Most of us have stopped caring. We need raises. We need better promotions. My store makes forecast almost everyday, and what do we get? Cut hours. Stop giving the managers these incentives when it's the employees on the floor and are the reason customers come back. We know these customers, we've built relationships with them. They come back for us, not the managers who screw everything up every time they come to the front end. Try showing your employees that you care.

Good if you know people.......

Current Employee - Service Deli Manager in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Service Deli Manager in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Ralphs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, union benefits, easy to move around if needed, possible quick promotion time.

Cons

hours could change weekly, promotions can be a pain, people easily turn against you.

Make sure your actually promoting people who deserve management.. Just not those you have relationships with.

Ralphs Photos

chow time
office and field personel outing
after beach bugchi