Randalls Reviews

Thomas L. (Tom) Schwilke

Location, location, location

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are fair, the pay is reasonable, and you do have opportunities to advance. Management can be fair based on how they like you. The work is simple if not a bit repetitive.

Cons

The location determines who your fellow employees are. There is a HUGE gossip culture among people who have worked in entry positions their whole career. If you're at a bad location, it's near impossible to transfer. Safeway kind of treats the company like a step-child.

Help nip the gossip culture in the butt. Inform employees that talking about others behind their back will only lead to bad things.

Starbucks Clerk

Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls part-time for less than a year

Pros

The store is aways empty, so you get a few clients only. Easy job and you work alone most of the time.

Cons

You don't get any discounts on Starbucks products. The menagement of the company is awful, they don't know what's going on. Schedule do work is a mess.

I hate this place

Current Employee - Deli Manager  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Manager in Katy, TX

I have been working at Randalls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers; great atmosphere; reasonable work times

Cons

Not a good place to work

Maybe you should try and do the job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience and first job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for first job, good supervisors, positive people

Cons

Low pay, Gossip, rude people, boring, not chalenging

Worst Experience Ever!

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some nice co-workers, some nice customers, training.

Cons

Too many hours, supervisors treat employees like trash, don't think that they have a live, call you on off days, never thank you for all your work, raises are a few cents, low pay, too much work, angry mean customers, they have employees do like 5 different jobs for same pay, and sometimes transfer them to cities far away without helping with gas. Do not care about their employees at all. Worst company to work form. No talking to coworkers, no breaks given, and lunch breaks are given until the last 30 minutes of the work time, so I worked 8 hours without eating anything. Not even good discounts.

Stop all the trash of trying to change things, your employees are completely unhappy and treated unethically. Employees deserve to be treated with respect and motivated for doing good things. Give better raises. Treat your employees how you want customers to be treated.

Raises are terrible& yearly and mostly up to 25cents. The president of Randall's is very rude doesn't acknowledge anyone

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The employees are some of the best I worked with they are like family, customers that do shop there are very loyal . There are some good managers in the company with a good heart, but like I said there are some not many.

Cons

Be ready to work all through the year and every weekend, it's even open on Christmas and open til 6pm on thanksgiving the company doesn't really care about employees and families. Mostly politics and district manger doesn't acknowledge you only talks to store director and assistant if he does speak to you it's something you done wrong or addressing something to you. For health insurance for full timers you have to take a healthy measurement for discounts and the results are mostly not met for employees so you pay more if not met and pay more if not taken, 401k is not matched. Unnecessary paper work and job duties and responsibilities and is always making changes.

The California market is not the same as the Texas market, safeway doesn't even keep up with the Competition you let HEB, whole foods, Walmart eat you a live , safeway is the 2nd biggest supermarket in the US stop acting like a underdog. Stop with all the dramatic changes every year and give the customers the prices they deserve and not only on Fridays.

The people that last at Randalls are worth working with

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Randalls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees and Customers are excellent to be around most of the time, everyone is friendly to talk to and are happy to see each other

Cons

Company has a plan and it mostly involves controlling costs by reducing labor usage and bleeding more work out of the employees that remain

How can you call yourself great at customer service when there is no one to help customers and they know it?

Good company but shows favoritism.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a cashier at Randalls is good to gain some work experience when working with the general public, and learning how to work a cashier and balance your register at the end of the day. Easy work, good for gaining sales and customer service experience.

Cons

Favoritism among the high level management and standing up on your feet all day. The customer that shop at Randalls are very snooty and stuck up. The management shows favoritism amongst lower level employees and the raise you get is based upon the ratings you receive.

Have more patience with your new employees and don't show favoritism.

Very Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Randalls for more than 3 years

Pros

I had other employees to assure me that I wasn't whiny, that the company really was that bad.
    They do hire people with mental disabilities.

Cons

Bear with me.
    They treat their employees horribly. They push them around and have a lot of negative reinforcement. There are too many tasks without enough time, and we get yelled at when it's not done. Then, they add more tasks and cut hours. There's a lot of overstress and misery among the employees. I've never heard anyone say "It was hard, but I'm glad I stuck with the company." I heard "Get out of Randalls. Don't stay like I did" and "I've worked for Randalls since before they were owned by Safeway. That was back when they actually cared about their employees" FYI, several employees are college degree holders falling on hard times. Many of us are not whiny dropouts or slackers who are reaping what we sow.

Customer service is rigid and excessive. We have to speak/pester every customer we come across, including in the aisles. We have set questions we have to ask, and at times we have had stupid gimmicks where we tell customers about a product, offer a sample, and before they've even said whether they want it, ask them how many they want. That's pushy salesmanship. We can't just neglect it either, because we get graded on doing all of it, and it goes on our file for review. It can also be graded by a company secret shopper, so you're affecting the store's grade. Your name will be posted for everyone to see how you did.

Donations are a dread. Not only do you have to ask every customer, but they are watching if you do. If your donations aren't up to their standard, they pull you aside to question you. They also post everyone's donation earnings by name and rank for all to see. They will write comments by certain people. I used to simply tell people about our donation opportunities so I wouldn't seem pushy. The management told me that didn't "prompt" the customer enough and that I had to ask customers if they would donate.

Pay is cheap. The raises are usually about 20-30 cents per half year. I once go 50 cents, and that was a big deal. They aren't supposed to work an employee Christmas and Easter, but they will. The volunteer holidays aren't volunteer. You will be scheduled regardless. The Christmas bonus: one extra dollar per hour. That's it.

Don't support this business. Support other businesses that treat their employees correctly. Then, those businesses will have more money to hire more employees and give them an opportunity.

Stand up for your employees

Horrible

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great, the networking is wonderful and easy to do as a cashier.

Cons

Company cares nothing about employees, they allow customers to treat you like trash and they expect you to take it and be happy about it.

Treat your employees better and your turnover rate won't be so high, people will want to work there.

Worked for Randalls? Contribute to the Community!