Randalls Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
1.8

Thomas L. (Tom) Schwilke

The people that last at Randalls are worth working with

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Randalls full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees and Customers are excellent to be around most of the time, everyone is friendly to talk to and are happy to see each other

Cons

Company has a plan and it mostly involves controlling costs by reducing labor usage and bleeding more work out of the employees that remain

How can you call yourself great at customer service when there is no one to help customers and they know it?

Good company but shows favoritism.

I have been working at Randalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a cashier at Randalls is good to gain some work experience when working with the general public, and learning how to work a cashier and balance your register at the end of the day. Easy work, good for gaining sales and customer service experience.

Cons

Favoritism among the high level management and standing up on your feet all day. The customer that shop at Randalls are very snooty and stuck up. The management shows favoritism amongst lower level employees and the raise you get is based upon the ratings you receive.

Have more patience with your new employees and don't show favoritism.

Very Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Randalls (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had other employees to assure me that I wasn't whiny, that the company really was that bad.
    They do hire people with mental disabilities.

Cons

Bear with me.
    They treat their employees horribly. They push them around and have a lot of negative reinforcement. There are too many tasks without enough time, and we get yelled at when it's not done. Then, they add more tasks and cut hours. There's a lot of overstress and misery among the employees. I've never heard anyone say "It was hard, but I'm glad I stuck with the company." I heard "Get out of Randalls. Don't stay like I did" and "I've worked for Randalls since before they were owned by Safeway. That was back when they actually cared about their employees" FYI, several employees are college degree holders falling on hard times. Many of us are not whiny dropouts or slackers who are reaping what we sow.

Customer service is rigid and excessive. We have to speak/pester every customer we come across, including in the aisles. We have set questions we have to ask, and at times we have had stupid gimmicks where we tell customers about a product, offer a sample, and before they've even said whether they want it, ask them how many they want. That's pushy salesmanship. We can't just neglect it either, because we get graded on doing all of it, and it goes on our file for review. It can also be graded by a company secret shopper, so you're affecting the store's grade. Your name will be posted for everyone to see how you did.

Donations are a dread. Not only do you have to ask every customer, but they are watching if you do. If your donations aren't up to their standard, they pull you aside to question you. They also post everyone's donation earnings by name and rank for all to see. They will write comments by certain people. I used to simply tell people about our donation opportunities so I wouldn't seem pushy. The management told me that didn't "prompt" the customer enough and that I had to ask customers if they would donate.

Pay is cheap. The raises are usually about 20-30 cents per half year. I once go 50 cents, and that was a big deal. They aren't supposed to work an employee Christmas and Easter, but they will. The volunteer holidays aren't volunteer. You will be scheduled regardless. The Christmas bonus: one extra dollar per hour. That's it.

Don't support this business. Support other businesses that treat their employees correctly. Then, those businesses will have more money to hire more employees and give them an opportunity.

Stand up for your employees

Horrible

Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, the networking is wonderful and easy to do as a cashier.

Cons

Company cares nothing about employees, they allow customers to treat you like trash and they expect you to take it and be happy about it.

Treat your employees better and your turnover rate won't be so high, people will want to work there.

Are you Serious? Don't work for Randalls if you can help it!! If you don't want a social life don't apply!!!!!

I have been working at Randalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is hard to come up with any Pro as the company is crap. The only thing I can think of is the weekly paycheck if that is what you want to call it.

Cons

Where do I start? I have a management degree and was hired as a cashier with promise of promotion and MIT within a short time of my start. Needless to say nearly 2 years later no promotion and still a cashier making less that $8.50 pr hour. I was promised full time but as soon as it came available someone from another store transferred and I lost the full time availability . After about 3 months I was given the chance to start supervising the front end of the store managing breaks and lunches with no pay increase. I was also the key trainer and yet still no pay increase. I was also made the full time closer with still only part time hours with again no pay increase for working dangerous hours. I was told on many occasions that my thank you for a hard days work was my paycheck at the end of the week. I have worked every single holiday including Christmas and New Years with only time and half and no bonus even for working the holiday. There is no uniform reimbursement program and the shirts and shoes are costly. The 10% discount on store brands is not as good as it sounds because the prices are so high the company is still making bank on the employees. When employees are told that they can look forward to 30 hours weekly they find themselves only being scheduled 22-27 hours weekly on the average. The fast pace is not so much a problem but the lack of staff scheduled is a major problem. Customers complain non stop and all the front end personal can do is sit there and take the grunt of poor management scheduling and ability to do so in a manor where the customer is getting the service that they are paying for with the high prices. In the less than 2 years that I have been with the company there have been "4" yes 4 Asst Store Directors and many other management changes in just the one store in the time that I have been there. The store director at my store has never given the insurance information to employees even after talking to him about it. I have also worked many 13 hour shifts and only received a lunch break of a little 30 min yet if taken 40 min yelled at for taking too long on break even though there has been no other breaks given. I have been in the middle of lack of communication between management members when they were not telling employees new job duties and watching the employee get written up or suspended for lack of completion of duties ordered. When job duties are updated there are no pay rate changes or notification to the employee who has to do the new duties. I was referred to the mentoring program and when I went to my director at the store requesting study material I never received the work to learn so I failed at the program making me look like a poor employee. You will become the company slave!!! They expect you to have no life and make Randalls your primary. I have made comments that I am dating the customers because I see them more than I see my friends. I work every weekend closing shift and have no time for friends or family.................... For the last 3 months I have been seeking another company to work for as I can't handle the stress and disrespect anymore from this company.

Concentrate on proper living wage, keeping turn over low by communicating to employees and keeping promises. Work with the employees holidays worked and show more appreciation for the hard work being put in.

some company

Former Employee - Stocker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

no pro that I can think of

Cons

very low pay for a lot of stress

no advice

The stores are a very clean & a nice shopping environment!

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When we do get bonuses, there usually pretty good. The quality & selection of the food & meats is very good, but expensive.

Cons

Not enough help to get the work done. Can't operate the stores with a skeleton crew. This is happening all over America today in most other industries as well for economic & budgetary reasons. (Doing more with less).

Hire enough help to get the work done in the stores instead of store management & corporate pocketing the extra yearly bonus money. Randall's will be doing the public a big favor in the customer service department & just might survive to stay in business a little longer.

I was hired to be a cashier, not a fundraiser.

Former Employee - Checker/Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Checker/Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of one for the Flagship store on Memorial Drive. The other cashiers were very nice to me, though. The second in command was nice, too.

Cons

Was led to believe I would get about 25 hours a week. One week, I got 9; 4 hours one day, and 5 the next. Usually, I got around 12-15. You have to be a brilliant conversationalist and solicit funds from the well-to-do clientele. I suppose the conversation is meant to distract clueless affluent people from noticing how high the prices really are.

Your poo stinks like everybody else's. Stop trying to pretend that you're in the same class as some of your rich customers, and try to be decent to your employees. Give them more hours and more encouragement.

Low pay and very little appreciation.

Current Employee - Checker/Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Checker/Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job security as long as you do your job.

Cons

Low Pay.
    Dealing with hurried and/or irate customers.
    Repetitive.

Give more incentives to do a good job.

Bag Boy

Former Employee - Sacker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sacker in Houston, TX

I worked at Randalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Busy Work. Was able to keep up

Cons

Low pay. Poor company management

Bring the Onsteds back