Random House Reviews

Reset
3.6
Random House Chairman and CEO Markus Dohle
Markus Dohle

Pros
  • I think those little perks help bring a good work-life balance, especially in a city like NY (in 13 reviews)

• Endless supply of free books and collectors' proof copies (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rates or bonus structure (in 10 reviews)

• After a few years, good entry level employees always leave, and sometimes the wrong people are promoted (in 5 reviews)

1. Even though I ultimately decided to leave book publishing, Random House will forever be my favorite employer.

I worked at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people, awesome benefits and bonuses, free books, 401k matching, great work-life balance, the best books in the industry, summer Fridays, European vacation time.

Cons

Everyone loves it there so it can be difficult to advance.

Advice to Management

Hold people at the top accountable. It can be very discouraging to see some people take advantage of the relaxed environment.

Very unprofessional on the non-publishing side

I worked at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented publishing staff, which makes this a terrific place for people who want to go into the Publishing field.

Cons

Not good on the operational side. I recognize that this sounds harsh, but the operational managers are, for the most part, unprofessional and not the most talented. Promotions are generally based on tenure (so long as you're not fired you'll move up). Many managers don't even have basic computer skills. Often times, junior staff were very mistreated via retaliatory tactics.

Advice to Management

* Promote based on talent and impact.
    * Look into the morale of ":junior" and administrative staff by providing a truly safe environment

3. Working at Random House was a hugely rewarding experience--smart coworkers, interesting projects, and nice environment!

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team was creative, smart, and kind--a nice mix of passion and professionalism. I respected the decisions made my the upper management. The company was very organized. Great benefits and free books!

Cons

Low salaries. Takes a long time to get promoted. Not the most tech-savvy group of people.

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for personal development and promotions.

5. Random House would have been better, had I been in a different sales team.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

Great benefits, lots of corporate perks. Great name to add to your resume.

Cons

No room for growth. No room for encouragement. A lot of upper management making decisions and not really looking at things from the bottom up. Would rather ignore the issues, than work through them. Low pay. I would suggest, if you are unhappy going to HR immediately and looking for alternatives.

Advice to Management

Take the time to talk to your team, and show interest. Don't play favoritism.

6. Great Intern Program

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

I learned a lot while interning at Random House. They really put a lot of thought in to it, and they want to expose you to as many different aspects of the industry as possible.

Cons

Not every editor knows how to mentor an intern. I interned for an editor who really didn't know what to teach me or how to teach me.

7. The summer of a lifetime!

Former Intern - Publicity Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Publicity Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Random House as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so passionate about the projects they're working on, from the assistants to the most senior publicists. Commitment to excellence, organizational skills, and ambition of all employees is really terrific to see. Theresa Zoro manages her office with tough love and gusto! Random House's clientele is also so impressive, and the ability to interact with such incredible authors at such a "lowly" level made my whole experience truly unforgettable.

Cons

Planning fan retreats is a bit messy-- there should be more fluid communication between departments. Also, when the merger was announced there was a lot of buzz that the upper management did not seem particularly focused on quelling.

great benefits but little opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers the highest salary, the best benefits, and the most vacation in the industry. (Though that's not saying all THAT much - starting salaries industry-wide are notoriously low.) You do feel like the company cares about its employees, which is unusual.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement - higher-ups don't seem to leave, and many aren't invested in training or mentoring their assistants for a career in publishing. You could languish in an entry-level job for years (and many do).

Advice to Management

Invest some time in your assistants

9. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, summer hours, great work-life balance. Hours are generally 9-5 except during the month close.

Cons

very slow paced environment, most employees and managers are not open to change, not much of a career path for a finance role, low pay (low bonus and low raise each year)

Advice to Management

LISTEN to employees, act on feedback from annual reviews.

10. Passionate, family-oriented and laid back environment

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works here truly loves what they do. There's lots of perks and a generous time-off policy. General consensus is that if you do your work, no one bothers you.

Cons

There's little room for professional growth here and people tend to get too comfortable to quit. There's a lot of folks who've been here for generations, occupying high level positions who, for example, still have no clue on how to convert a scan to a pdf. I've been here for a year now and have seen 3 people leave the company after not being promoted after 5-9 years of service, but stayed because there were comfortable with the company culture and other perks.

Advice to Management

Perhaps, if RH paid their employees more there would be a better retention rate.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great company culture, and full of passionate people who love what they do. Benefits are exceptional, with plenty of vacation days.

Cons

Some of the management has been in place for perhaps longer than they should be. It can be frustrating to have bosses who don't seem all that invested in seeing your career grow. Promotions are difficult to achieve - many only got promoted after they countered with offers from other companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed