Random House

Updated October 20, 2014
3.7

Random House Chairman and CEO Markus Dohle
Markus Dohle

Pros
  • I think those little perks help bring a good work-life balance, especially in a city like NY (in 12 reviews)

• Endless supply of free books and collectors' proof copies (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rates or bonus structure (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, though it's comparable to the rest of the publishing industry in general (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great benefits but little opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers the highest salary, the best benefits, and the most vacation in the industry. (Though that's not saying all THAT much - starting salaries industry-wide are notoriously low.) You do feel like the company cares about its employees, which is unusual.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement - higher-ups don't seem to leave, and many aren't invested in training or mentoring their assistants for a career in publishing. You could languish in an entry-level job for years (and many do).

Invest some time in your assistants

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, summer hours, great work-life balance. Hours are generally 9-5 except during the month close.

Cons

very slow paced environment, most employees and managers are not open to change, not much of a career path for a finance role, low pay (low bonus and low raise each year)

LISTEN to employees, act on feedback from annual reviews.

Passionate, family-oriented and laid back environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here truly loves what they do. There's lots of perks and a generous time-off policy. General consensus is that if you do your work, no one bothers you.

Cons

There's little room for professional growth here and people tend to get too comfortable to quit. There's a lot of folks who've been here for generations, occupying high level positions who, for example, still have no clue on how to convert a scan to a pdf. I've been here for a year now and have seen 3 people leave the company after not being promoted after 5-9 years of service, but stayed because there were comfortable with the company culture and other perks.

Perhaps, if RH paid their employees more there would be a better retention rate.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great company culture, and full of passionate people who love what they do. Benefits are exceptional, with plenty of vacation days.

Cons

Some of the management has been in place for perhaps longer than they should be. It can be frustrating to have bosses who don't seem all that invested in seeing your career grow. Promotions are difficult to achieve - many only got promoted after they countered with offers from other companies.

Fun, creative environment with little room for movement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent vacation schedule, all the free books you could ever want, inspiring and creative coworkers who care deeply about the product and the industry

Cons

Extremely top-heavy company, salary-wise; higher ups (especially those who have been with the company for a long time) make plenty of money while their assistants scrape by to pay NYC rent. Opportunities for those in entry level positions to advance up the ladder are few and far between.

Spend more time fostering growth and advancement of younger people in the company

Great place to work and learn, hard to move up

Former Employee - Editorialand Marketing/Publicity in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorialand Marketing/Publicity in New York, NY

I worked at Random House as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at a small imprint within such a large company was great because I got the opportunity to try different fields, learn a lot about the general process of book publishing. I was encouraged and nurtured by the people on the team. Plus the person in HR was simply amazing. It also had good benefits within it like yoga. I think those little perks help bring a good work-life balance, especially in a city like NY.

Cons

It was very hard to advance. Even with great networking and people liking the work I was doing, it was still too big a company to try and make yourself know. It was hard to truly make yourself shine in a larger scale. I saw that in order to move up you had to go elsewhere and then come back. I didn't feel that company loyalty was such an important factor for them. I wish it were

Work on exciting projects and brilliant people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- You get to work on books that make history.
    - Coworkers are brilliant, best in the business.
    - Employee perks are good. They're not Google, but better than most companies.
    - Free books!

Cons

- Cafeteria could be better. Not as bad as most employees complain about.
    - Seating / office space is a disaster. They rented out half the floors in the building to save money but now they have no seating for most employees so you often see people sitting in phone rooms or conference rooms turned into multi-employee rooms.
    - Constant re-orgs and upper/middle management seems to be laid off constantly which creates a negative work environment.

Fix the seating / office space issue!

Permalancing is not the greatest type of thing to do

Former Employee - EBook Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - EBook Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Random House as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Random House is fine, my co-workers were great, the general office atmosphere was friendly and supportive

Cons

As a temporary employee on a long-term open-ended contract there was absolutely no job security which became very terrifying when the contract was terminated. My direct manager was fine, but the department head was difficult to work with, if not possibly incompetent, or if they were competent and easy to work with, they did not present themselves as such to the team I worked on.

Thrilling job

Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

On the cutting edge of what's happening in the world, meeting with big names in our culture - both pop and academic. Day is flexible.

Cons

Pay is low. You have to put in a lot of time to advance.

Great place to work if you work for the right people

Current Employee - Contracts Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contracts Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation for education and fitness.
    Family-friendly: there are a lot of benefits that extend to children and dependents.

Cons

Current health insurance is lackluster.
    Not enough incentives in fitness programs to encourage employees to stay fit. [i.e. points for working out that turn into gift cards or lowered health insurance costs].

Disconnected and sometimes condescending to younger employees in the department. Management really needs to catch up with the times and the changing culture of workplaces because the old boys club attitude will not cut it anymore. Management also needs to be more approachable. This job doesn't pay enough to be treated like slaves to the paperwork. You can't retain young talent if you make them feel like crap about the work they are doing for you.