Random House

Updated February 25, 2015
3.6

Random House Chairman and CEO Markus Dohle
Markus Dohle

Pros
  • I think those little perks help bring a good work-life balance, especially in a city like NY (in 13 reviews)

• Endless supply of free books and collectors' proof copies (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rates or bonus structure (in 10 reviews)

• The publishing industry is a dying industry, as reading is no longer a primary form of entertainment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

74 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Working at Random House was a hugely rewarding experience--smart coworkers, interesting projects, and nice environment!

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My team was creative, smart, and kind--a nice mix of passion and professionalism. I respected the decisions made my the upper management. The company was very organized. Great benefits and free books!

Cons

Low salaries. Takes a long time to get promoted. Not the most tech-savvy group of people.

Offer more opportunities for personal development and promotions.

Random House would have been better, had I been in a different sales team.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

Great benefits, lots of corporate perks. Great name to add to your resume.

Cons

No room for growth. No room for encouragement. A lot of upper management making decisions and not really looking at things from the bottom up. Would rather ignore the issues, than work through them. Low pay. I would suggest, if you are unhappy going to HR immediately and looking for alternatives.

Take the time to talk to your team, and show interest. Don't play favoritism.

Great Intern Program

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

I learned a lot while interning at Random House. They really put a lot of thought in to it, and they want to expose you to as many different aspects of the industry as possible.

Cons

Not every editor knows how to mentor an intern. I interned for an editor who really didn't know what to teach me or how to teach me.

The summer of a lifetime!

Former Intern - Publicity Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Publicity Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Random House as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so passionate about the projects they're working on, from the assistants to the most senior publicists. Commitment to excellence, organizational skills, and ambition of all employees is really terrific to see. Theresa Zoro manages her office with tough love and gusto! Random House's clientele is also so impressive, and the ability to interact with such incredible authors at such a "lowly" level made my whole experience truly unforgettable.

Cons

Planning fan retreats is a bit messy-- there should be more fluid communication between departments. Also, when the merger was announced there was a lot of buzz that the upper management did not seem particularly focused on quelling.

great benefits but little opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers the highest salary, the best benefits, and the most vacation in the industry. (Though that's not saying all THAT much - starting salaries industry-wide are notoriously low.) You do feel like the company cares about its employees, which is unusual.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement - higher-ups don't seem to leave, and many aren't invested in training or mentoring their assistants for a career in publishing. You could languish in an entry-level job for years (and many do).

Invest some time in your assistants

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, summer hours, great work-life balance. Hours are generally 9-5 except during the month close.

Cons

very slow paced environment, most employees and managers are not open to change, not much of a career path for a finance role, low pay (low bonus and low raise each year)

LISTEN to employees, act on feedback from annual reviews.

Passionate, family-oriented and laid back environment

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works here truly loves what they do. There's lots of perks and a generous time-off policy. General consensus is that if you do your work, no one bothers you.

Cons

There's little room for professional growth here and people tend to get too comfortable to quit. There's a lot of folks who've been here for generations, occupying high level positions who, for example, still have no clue on how to convert a scan to a pdf. I've been here for a year now and have seen 3 people leave the company after not being promoted after 5-9 years of service, but stayed because there were comfortable with the company culture and other perks.

Perhaps, if RH paid their employees more there would be a better retention rate.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY

I worked at Random House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great company culture, and full of passionate people who love what they do. Benefits are exceptional, with plenty of vacation days.

Cons

Some of the management has been in place for perhaps longer than they should be. It can be frustrating to have bosses who don't seem all that invested in seeing your career grow. Promotions are difficult to achieve - many only got promoted after they countered with offers from other companies.

Fun, creative environment with little room for movement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent vacation schedule, all the free books you could ever want, inspiring and creative coworkers who care deeply about the product and the industry

Cons

Extremely top-heavy company, salary-wise; higher ups (especially those who have been with the company for a long time) make plenty of money while their assistants scrape by to pay NYC rent. Opportunities for those in entry level positions to advance up the ladder are few and far between.

Spend more time fostering growth and advancement of younger people in the company

Great place to work and learn, hard to move up

Former Intern - Editorialand Marketing/Publicity in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Editorialand Marketing/Publicity in New York, NY

I worked at Random House as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Working at a small imprint within such a large company was great because I got the opportunity to try different fields, learn a lot about the general process of book publishing. I was encouraged and nurtured by the people on the team. Plus the person in HR was simply amazing. It also had good benefits within it like yoga. I think those little perks help bring a good work-life balance, especially in a city like NY.

Cons

It was very hard to advance. Even with great networking and people liking the work I was doing, it was still too big a company to try and make yourself know. It was hard to truly make yourself shine in a larger scale. I saw that in order to move up you had to go elsewhere and then come back. I didn't feel that company loyalty was such an important factor for them. I wish it were