Random House

Be The First To
Add Photos

Random House Chairman and CEO Markus Dohle

Markus Dohle

Pros
  • a healthy work-life balance is maybe not guaranteed, but achievable(in 11 reviews)

• Outstanding benefits that include free books(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rates or bonus structure(in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, though it's comparable to the rest of the publishing industry in general(in 7 reviews)

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship program at Random House is a great introduction into the world of publishing. the editors really want to be involved and get their interns involved. The work environment is very friendly and a great place to be.

ConsThe only negative was that I was in one department the whole time and would have liked to get an idea of what happens in other departments. We were told we would be switched around but for the most part we all stayed in one place.

Thrilling job

Associate Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOn the cutting edge of what's happening in the world, meeting with big names in our culture - both pop and academic. Day is flexible.

ConsPay is low. You have to put in a lot of time to advance.

Great place to work if you work for the right people

Contracts Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat compensation for education and fitness.
    Family-friendly: there are a lot of benefits that extend to children and dependents.

ConsCurrent health insurance is lackluster.
    Not enough incentives in fitness programs to encourage employees to stay fit. [i.e. points for working out that turn into gift cards or lowered health insurance costs].

Advice to Senior ManagementDisconnected and sometimes condescending to younger employees in the department. Management really needs to catch up with the times and the changing culture of workplaces because the old boys club attitude will not cut it anymore. Management also needs to be more approachable. This job doesn't pay enough to be treated like slaves to the paperwork. You can't retain young talent if you make them feel like crap about the work they are doing for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fantastic place

ProsGreat benefits, fantastic and professional support from HR. Like another reviewer said, your experience is really defined by your division - I've loved working here. The best thing about RH is that they're very open about changing into another division/role - they want to support the growth of your career.

ConsPublishing is very linear. You will rise up in a very expected manner. No cutting in line or unexpected jumps.

Freelance for an RH division

Writer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, nice, fun, creative, paid on time

ConsCan always use more money

Great Company!

ProsTalented colleagues and team approach.

ConsThere are no cons that are very important to mention. It's a great company.

The company is going through some changes.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits are really good. Lots of vacation, personal time, sick time. Decent salary for the publishing industry.

ConsThe company is in the middle of a merger, so there's a lot of mixed direction from upper management. Expect to work long hours. Lack of training for new employees.

Random House is a great place to start your career and get your foot in the door. You learn a lot about the industry

ProsBeing the biggest publishers means more resources
    The hours and benefits are unbeatable

ConsSenior management is not concerned with helping junior employees move up; they will work you at the lowest rate possible.

Was a Great Place to Work

Senior Art Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people were great; lots of nice perks: vacation, family friendly, yoga classes, workplace education

Conslow salary compared to other fields

Great place to work, hard place to move up and earn more money

ProsPeople are great, asking for time off is never an issue, so much vacation time, great 401k benefits. The culture is relaxed and creative. Definitely a great place to start working fresh out of college.

ConsGreat vacation time but you can't afford to go anywhere. Paying rent gets harder every year. It's impossible to get promoted unless someone leaves. It's hard to get the more senior people who have been working in publishing forever to change. After a few years, good entry level employees always leave, and sometimes the wrong people are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange can be good sometimes. Trust your other departments more, they know what they're doing.

Worked for Random House? Contribute to the Community!