Randox Laboratories

1.9

Randox Laboratories Managing Director Peter Fitzgerald
Peter Fitzgerald

sales representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hanoi (Vietnam)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hanoi (Vietnam)

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

foreign company with foreign policy in Vietnam, in comparison to local firms
    chance to do a technology job in foreign language and then help local customers understand this

Cons

career growth is in top priority to have a look and be offered to the staff
    clear career growth needs to be shown for motivating the staff to do a better job

career growth

unfulfilling

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technology and an outlook on future solutions

Cons

Micro management and unorthodox corporate culture

Provide training for U.S candidates state side, the travel is ridiculous

Great people to work with, good experience gained, don't be put off by negative reviews

I have been working at Randox Laboratories

Pros

Working with some really great people, in a role that truly offers me international experience. Good opportunities for international travel; very R&D focused so plenty of opportunities there; nice to work for a growing and successful company when other companies are cutting budgets and cutting back.

Cons

Randox HQ location is a bit out of the way and can be bad in winter, but rush-hour traffic isn't too much of a problem as a result. There are no facilities (shops, food outlets) close by so don't forget your packed lunch!

Ye Olde Gulag........

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crumlin, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crumlin, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Randox principle of relativity, any Job you take after this place will seem like paradise relative to this place!

Cons

Management....well if you could call it that. Here it consists of an inner circle spineless morons who tell the delusional owner what he wants to hear (akin to the Nazi government). Managers have no real power and are simply puppets in a dictatorship. There's actually a table in the canteen reserved for this vile group (I'll not mention the manager only toilets!), complete with a personal cook providing them lunch whilst the subordinates around them depend on a vending machine for nourishment.

Morale.....now existent, the worst I've ever encountered. It was difficult to see why, staff are treated like dirt, fired for the smallest reasons, sometimes with no reason- I've seen many people being "walked out"- this is were their computer access is suddenly interrupted then a few minutes later a representative from "HR" (these guys are also ridiculous!) will ask them to leave the premises. Elusive pay rises are given out completely at random, which generates resentment and distrust between co-workers.

Culture of fear.....this place is ran using fear, no employee feels secure in their position. A network of "spys" are used to inform on co-workers (these would be 007's generally get the pay rises when they come round every 3-4 years lol)

Flies and Ice........referring back to the title of this review, this place is very similar to a soviet gulag. In the winter the road to Randox is very very dangerous, here ice, pot holes, flooding and snow are daily obstacles, with car accidents occurring at least once a week. The company refuse to grit this road. On the plus side if you have an accident or can't make it due to weather conditions HR will allow you to use one of your 10 days holidays (the other 10 are locked to facilitate the two week august shutdown). After a little reprieve from the winter conditions, the flies come in April. I remember chuckling to myself "flies, it can't be that bad", how wrong was I. The flies number in what surely is millions, they loiter the car park and the corridors in dense clouds sticking to everything in their path. Each evening I always had at least a few tens of "passengers" in my car. Each generation of flies live for around 2 weeks, then they appear more numerous around another two weeks later- this continues until september. Then the building/barn is power hosed down by staff (to remove months worth of fly carcasses) and the cycle repeats.

This place is far worse than I could possibly describe, one has to experience it. If you really really need a job and have no immediate alternate (as was the case with me), upon taking up the position- BEGIN LOOKING FOR ANOTHER! Really there's nothing sadder than the members of staff whom have stayed too long (>3 years) and find it very difficult to get another position due to non-compete clauses in contracts. These guys are usually "institutionalised" at this point.

My advice would be to the owner, Peter Fitzgerald- sell the place, sell it to a company that would create the right conditions to really make this place flourish, the talent is there (although the best doesn't stay for long), the conditions are lacking.

Great co-workers, not so convinced on overall management - but maybe that's just what the private sector is like.

I worked at Randox Laboratories as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Support from department workers was good, particularly at the beginning, they were always willing to explain things. My supervisor was extremely patient with me, especially when I got things wrong.

Cons

My first impression was that there are a lot of rules. You really earn your money in terms of working hours - 8 hours a day not including lunch and flexi working was never really an option in my department. There also seemed to be a general fear of getting in trouble with management - it felt almost like they were looking for reasons to fire people.

international business development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with some really great people there

Cons

very bad benefits, management is absolutely out of touch, no career progression, no work-life balance

Beware

Current Employee - Analyst in Crumlin, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Crumlin, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technology itself is decent in principal.
    The only way is up after working there.
    Provides work experience for naive graduates.

Cons

Low pay
    Toxic working environment
    Clueless and arrogant management
    No benefits
    Very low staff morale

Treat your employees with more respect and you may hang on to more staff.

Just a really horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location - The Irish are great. Belfast is fun so when you're not at work you can expect a cracking good time
    Products - the had some innovative technology when I was there

Cons

Culture - very draconian and dictatorial.
    Management - lack interpersonal skills and business skills.
    Staff throughput - difficult to build a support network because people leave / are fired so often

Sell out to a PE fund. You'll get more than the company is worth and they will put some strong management in.

One of the worst places to work at

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Crumlin, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Treat you well for your training period

Cons

Everything about their culture and internal structure

Get over yourselves and stop blaming others for your incompetence.

Upper Management is clueless

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make your own hours and get to make your schedule

Cons

It is very hard to work here, they fired people when we were in N.I. and sent them back to the USA. Constantly have to look over your shoulder, can not compete in US market. Stay away.