Rapid Response Monitoring Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.2
Russell R. MacDonnell

1. Extremely pleased with the company so far.

Current Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely welcoming and friendly environment

-Supervisors are patient and happy to help with any and all questions

-training is thorough and on-going

-This job will stretch your abilities and take you out of your comfort zone if you have not done this kind of work before. I feel this is a positive thing because they are also extremely supportive throughout the training process and go above and beyond to help people out.

-an 8 hour shift is really 8 hours long and includes pay for time spent on all breaks and lunches

-Lots of overtime opportunity after about 2 months

-Overtime is rarely if ever required

-Competitive entry level pay

-Full Benefits package after just 90 days

-You know your work schedule more than a month out at any given time making it easy to plan around work.

Cons

-No wiggle room on breaks and Lunch times. Due to the nature of the business (protecting life and property) break/lunch times have to be strictly enforced. This is not an issue for me but is something to be aware of if you tend to lose track of time on your breaks/lunch

-Breaks are very short. Break time is 10 minutes which is barely enough time to use the restroom and grab a small snack. You get 2 breaks which you can take pretty much whenever you want

-Lunch is also short. 30 minutes is enough time to eat but wont give you enough time to go out to eat somewhere so you need to bring your lunch or pay a small fortune to buy primarily junk food available in the break room convenience store (equivalent to what you might find in the refrigerated sections of a small convenience gas station store)

-Breaks have to be requested from a break pass Que. When a pass is available you can take your pass and go to break. The problem is you can be stuck processing an alarm when it becomes your turn and miss your pass which you have only 2 minutes to accept. It has taken me as long as an hour and a half to actually get to break. On the positive side of this if you really NEED to take a break and are having trouble getting there the supervisors will help you or may let you take a personal break. For me personally having significant trouble getting to break has only happened perhaps once a week on average. Most of the time it takes less than 15 minutes to get to break.

-Unscheduled breaks have to be requested from the supervisors. They have to make sure they have coverage so you have to ask permission for an extra bathroom run. This is the nature of the business. It is essential that there are enough people available at all times because we are protecting life and property. ***The simple solution to this is to not wait for it to be an emergency!

Advice to Management

Maintain the friendly and supportive atmosphere you have created at Rapid. In my opinion that is your best asset.
    -The Break Pass system could use refinement in cases where the Que is long

-I would love to see Rapid Response host local social events for employees. It can be difficult to get to know the people I work with since I am in communication range with only 1 or 2 people at most (sometimes none) all day and lunches and breaks are so short that there is very little excess time to get to know the people I work with.

2. If you want a place that cares even a tiny bit about it's employees.... Go somewhere else.

Current Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only good reason to work there is because there are great people as your co workers. Upper management is a joke as is their "internal promotions" which don't exist.

Cons

You must ask to go to the bathroom. You must ask to get a drink from the water fountain and you will get written up if you go to the bathroom more than two times a day without a doctors note.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and stop lying to us. About every little thing. If you don't respect us don't expect any in return.

3. Great Company to work for!

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule - great and encouraging management - good pay

Cons

break policy is ridiculous and doesn't provide much wiggle room .... limited to two 15 min breaks per shift (not including lunch)

awful

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time

Pros

Best for those who enjoy a highly structured environment, like high school...or prison. Very, very busy environment.

Cons

excessively stringent and punitive environment, you even need to ask for permission to use the bathroom and will be scolded if you go 'too many' times during the course of your day! Mandatory overtime enforced, swing scheduling makes it nearly impossible to have any kind of life. Extremely low wages and sky-high stress ensure high turnover.

6. Growing Company-great for a jump start to your career

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for Growth
    Growing Company
    Impeccable Facilities

Cons

Some favoritism and nepotism
    Nature of the business takes you from home more than the typical 40 hours

Typical customer service position.

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers a steady paycheck with small raises at set specific milestones, and opportunities to earn added income through working overtime and holidays at a higher pay rate. The benefits (health insurance, 401K) are pretty decent as well. There are also a lot of pretty great people that work at the company.

Cons

It is a stressful environment where management doesn't support its staff with positive reviews and encouragement, and you don't get paid enough compared to how often you have to deal with people belittling you over the phone. It can be difficult to get time off, and you often end up working 6-8 days straight. Plus you cap out at a certain pay rate, so unless you get promoted or move to a different department, both of which are incredibly difficult to do, after a while you won't get the chance to make any more money. It's work while you're between jobs.

Happy employee!

Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities for those who work hard. Great benefits and rewarding work. Management is very engaged and the training is unparalleled.

Cons

Co-workers with bad attitudes. A lot of people even some reviews on this site indicate they cannot go to the bathroom?? This is so far from the truth. The fact of the matter is, breaks were being abused and were very hard to manage. As a result, a new break pass system was put in to place. We are responsible for protecting the lives and property of our customers. Management needs to ensure that enough people are available to handle alarm traffic at all times. Because of this, we were all asked to give a supervisor a heads up when wee need to get up to use the restroom . This way the supervisor can move people around to ensure proper coverage. No supervisor ever tells an employee that they cannot go to the bathroom! Somehow this got twisted in to "employees cannot go to the bathroom". Not true, just need to give a heads up which is more than reasonable in our line of work.

Advice to Management

Your hard work does not go unnoticed. Most of us are very appreciative to all of the opportunities you provide us. Please do not think that a few bad eggs who complain represent us all.

Fair

Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and looking to expand on the west coast. They have 2 week training and then ease you onto the floor so that you are not thrown to the wolves. The benefits are pretty good including paid gym membership.

Cons

The work can be monotonous. Aside from medical alarms, most signals are false alarms. Everyone is militarized, breaks are monitored to the second, bathrooms require ID card to unlock, There is no real chance to leave your desk because you are taking or making call after call. When I started the pay was only $10/hr but I've heard that they have raised it.

Promise much, deliver little.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you're patient.

Cons

Revolving door. Their requirement for a college degree is not supported by their starting pay. They will sell you the idea that there is room for advancement but the raises are minimal. Everyone is expendable.

Advice to Management

Pay competitive rates for the type of employee you are trying to attract or lower your requirements to the rates you offer.

There's good and bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company if you are liked, job training, okay pay depending on bills.

Cons

Short breaks, horrible turnover rates, caps for customer service reps