Rapid Response Monitoring

Rapid Response Monitoring Reviews

Updated February 1, 2015
Updated February 1, 2015

Russell R. MacDonnell

Great Company to work for!

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule - great and encouraging management - good pay

Cons

break policy is ridiculous and doesn't provide much wiggle room .... limited to two 15 min breaks per shift (not including lunch)

If you want a place that cares even a tiny bit about it's employees.... Go somewhere else.

Current Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only good reason to work there is because there are great people as your co workers. Upper management is a joke as is their "internal promotions" which don't exist.

Cons

You must ask to go to the bathroom. You must ask to get a drink from the water fountain and you will get written up if you go to the bathroom more than two times a day without a doctors note.

Value your employees and stop lying to us. About every little thing. If you don't respect us don't expect any in return.

awful

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time

Pros

Best for those who enjoy a highly structured environment, like high school...or prison. Very, very busy environment.

Cons

excessively stringent and punitive environment, you even need to ask for permission to use the bathroom and will be scolded if you go 'too many' times during the course of your day! Mandatory overtime enforced, swing scheduling makes it nearly impossible to have any kind of life. Extremely low wages and sky-high stress ensure high turnover.

Growing Company-great for a jump start to your career

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for Growth
    Growing Company
    Impeccable Facilities

Cons

Some favoritism and nepotism
    Nature of the business takes you from home more than the typical 40 hours

Typical customer service position.

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers a steady paycheck with small raises at set specific milestones, and opportunities to earn added income through working overtime and holidays at a higher pay rate. The benefits (health insurance, 401K) are pretty decent as well. There are also a lot of pretty great people that work at the company.

Cons

It is a stressful environment where management doesn't support its staff with positive reviews and encouragement, and you don't get paid enough compared to how often you have to deal with people belittling you over the phone. It can be difficult to get time off, and you often end up working 6-8 days straight. Plus you cap out at a certain pay rate, so unless you get promoted or move to a different department, both of which are incredibly difficult to do, after a while you won't get the chance to make any more money. It's work while you're between jobs.

Happy employee!

Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities for those who work hard. Great benefits and rewarding work. Management is very engaged and the training is unparalleled.

Cons

Co-workers with bad attitudes. A lot of people even some reviews on this site indicate they cannot go to the bathroom?? This is so far from the truth. The fact of the matter is, breaks were being abused and were very hard to manage. As a result, a new break pass system was put in to place. We are responsible for protecting the lives and property of our customers. Management needs to ensure that enough people are available to handle alarm traffic at all times. Because of this, we were all asked to give a supervisor a heads up when wee need to get up to use the restroom . This way the supervisor can move people around to ensure proper coverage. No supervisor ever tells an employee that they cannot go to the bathroom! Somehow this got twisted in to "employees cannot go to the bathroom". Not true, just need to give a heads up which is more than reasonable in our line of work.

Your hard work does not go unnoticed. Most of us are very appreciative to all of the opportunities you provide us. Please do not think that a few bad eggs who complain represent us all.

Fair

Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and looking to expand on the west coast. They have 2 week training and then ease you onto the floor so that you are not thrown to the wolves. The benefits are pretty good including paid gym membership.

Cons

The work can be monotonous. Aside from medical alarms, most signals are false alarms. Everyone is militarized, breaks are monitored to the second, bathrooms require ID card to unlock, There is no real chance to leave your desk because you are taking or making call after call. When I started the pay was only $10/hr but I've heard that they have raised it.

There's good and bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company if you are liked, job training, okay pay depending on bills.

Cons

Short breaks, horrible turnover rates, caps for customer service reps

Promise much, deliver little.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you're patient.

Cons

Revolving door. Their requirement for a college degree is not supported by their starting pay. They will sell you the idea that there is room for advancement but the raises are minimal. Everyone is expendable.

Pay competitive rates for the type of employee you are trying to attract or lower your requirements to the rates you offer.

To be the best, you have to work for it.

Former Employee - Answering Service Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Answering Service Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company really is on the cutting edge of the monitoring sector of the Security Industry. In the short 20 years that it's been around, the company has made many leaps and bounds to keep itself on the top of it's game. The training process is very thorough and actually takes a few more sessions of additional training after the initial four weeks (two in the classroom and two more on the training floor) to acquire all the necessary skills. I worked at this company for two years, and touched many different aspects of it's Operations Department during my tour there. I think many people have been negative in their reviews so far about the company because honestly, Syracuse, New York in general tends to be a very negative place, which rubs off on whatever job review they post. I enjoyed going to work everyday because I felt like I was actually making a difference; being part of a process that really had a "bigger picture" to it. I also made many good friends there whom I still connect with on a daily basis. They paid decently well compared to other places in the area, had a good collection of benefits, and provided a decent amount of vacation and personal time. Overall, I personally had a good experience working here. Mistakes are tightly monitored and disciplined according to a well structured plan because of the vast amount of liability that even a relatively minor mistake can bring about, so in that regard, this job is not for everyone because of some of the standards they have to stick to as a company to protect life and property on a 24/7 basis.

Cons

At times some of the work can become repetitive and it can be stressful dealing with various Police, Fire, and Medical dispatchers throughout the country and dealing with, in many cases, situations where peoples' lives and property are on the line. As a result, they have to run a pretty tight ship at Rapid Response Monitoring in terms of tracking employee breaks, lunches, and getting time off because someone has to be there calling on those alarms and answering those phones all day, everyday.

Keep thinking forward, keep adapting the monitoring to newer interactive technologies that are continually coming out, and keep thinking of ways to expand the company to provide better redundancy and consistency with all the monitoring policies. And finally, don't forget about the employees and their skills. They are just as huge of an asset to the company as the actual technological infrastructure itself.