Rapid Response Monitoring

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014
2.9

Russell R. MacDonnell

Growing Company-great for a jump start to your career

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for Growth
    Growing Company
    Impeccable Facilities

Cons

Some favoritism and nepotism
    Nature of the business takes you from home more than the typical 40 hours

awful

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time

Pros

Best for those who enjoy a highly structured environment, like high school...or prison. Very, very busy environment.

Cons

excessively stringent and punitive environment, you even need to ask for permission to use the bathroom and will be scolded if you go 'too many' times during the course of your day! Mandatory overtime enforced, swing scheduling makes it nearly impossible to have any kind of life. Extremely low wages and sky-high stress ensure high turnover.

Typical customer service position.

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers a steady paycheck with small raises at set specific milestones, and opportunities to earn added income through working overtime and holidays at a higher pay rate. The benefits (health insurance, 401K) are pretty decent as well. There are also a lot of pretty great people that work at the company.

Cons

It is a stressful environment where management doesn't support its staff with positive reviews and encouragement, and you don't get paid enough compared to how often you have to deal with people belittling you over the phone. It can be difficult to get time off, and you often end up working 6-8 days straight. Plus you cap out at a certain pay rate, so unless you get promoted or move to a different department, both of which are incredibly difficult to do, after a while you won't get the chance to make any more money. It's work while you're between jobs.

Happy employee!

Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities for those who work hard. Great benefits and rewarding work. Management is very engaged and the training is unparalleled.

Cons

Co-workers with bad attitudes. A lot of people even some reviews on this site indicate they cannot go to the bathroom?? This is so far from the truth. The fact of the matter is, breaks were being abused and were very hard to manage. As a result, a new break pass system was put in to place. We are responsible for protecting the lives and property of our customers. Management needs to ensure that enough people are available to handle alarm traffic at all times. Because of this, we were all asked to give a supervisor a heads up when wee need to get up to use the restroom . This way the supervisor can move people around to ensure proper coverage. No supervisor ever tells an employee that they cannot go to the bathroom! Somehow this got twisted in to "employees cannot go to the bathroom". Not true, just need to give a heads up which is more than reasonable in our line of work.

Your hard work does not go unnoticed. Most of us are very appreciative to all of the opportunities you provide us. Please do not think that a few bad eggs who complain represent us all.

Fair

Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is growing and looking to expand on the west coast. They have 2 week training and then ease you onto the floor so that you are not thrown to the wolves. The benefits are pretty good including paid gym membership.

Cons

The work can be monotonous. Aside from medical alarms, most signals are false alarms. Everyone is militarized, breaks are monitored to the second, bathrooms require ID card to unlock, There is no real chance to leave your desk because you are taking or making call after call. When I started the pay was only $10/hr but I've heard that they have raised it.

There's good and bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company if you are liked, job training, okay pay depending on bills.

Cons

Short breaks, horrible turnover rates, caps for customer service reps

Promise much, deliver little.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you're patient.

Cons

Revolving door. Their requirement for a college degree is not supported by their starting pay. They will sell you the idea that there is room for advancement but the raises are minimal. Everyone is expendable.

Pay competitive rates for the type of employee you are trying to attract or lower your requirements to the rates you offer.

To be the best, you have to work for it.

Former Employee - Answering Service Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Answering Service Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really is on the cutting edge of the monitoring sector of the Security Industry. In the short 20 years that it's been around, the company has made many leaps and bounds to keep itself on the top of it's game. The training process is very thorough and actually takes a few more sessions of additional training after the initial four weeks (two in the classroom and two more on the training floor) to acquire all the necessary skills. I worked at this company for two years, and touched many different aspects of it's Operations Department during my tour there. I think many people have been negative in their reviews so far about the company because honestly, Syracuse, New York in general tends to be a very negative place, which rubs off on whatever job review they post. I enjoyed going to work everyday because I felt like I was actually making a difference; being part of a process that really had a "bigger picture" to it. I also made many good friends there whom I still connect with on a daily basis. They paid decently well compared to other places in the area, had a good collection of benefits, and provided a decent amount of vacation and personal time. Overall, I personally had a good experience working here. Mistakes are tightly monitored and disciplined according to a well structured plan because of the vast amount of liability that even a relatively minor mistake can bring about, so in that regard, this job is not for everyone because of some of the standards they have to stick to as a company to protect life and property on a 24/7 basis.

Cons

At times some of the work can become repetitive and it can be stressful dealing with various Police, Fire, and Medical dispatchers throughout the country and dealing with, in many cases, situations where peoples' lives and property are on the line. As a result, they have to run a pretty tight ship at Rapid Response Monitoring in terms of tracking employee breaks, lunches, and getting time off because someone has to be there calling on those alarms and answering those phones all day, everyday.

Keep thinking forward, keep adapting the monitoring to newer interactive technologies that are continually coming out, and keep thinking of ways to expand the company to provide better redundancy and consistency with all the monitoring policies. And finally, don't forget about the employees and their skills. They are just as huge of an asset to the company as the actual technological infrastructure itself.

Not a bad place to work for a few months (you'll get some stories, at least...)

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hire a lot of people so it's really easy to get a job here if you've got two years of college experience under your belt. The NASCAR-themed chili dogs and sausage biscuits from the lunchroom vending machine are strangely delicious. Paid lunch. The office is very clean. The work is pretty interesting at first so the day goes by quickly for the first couple of months. Expectations for what you're supposed to do are extremely clear, and you won't experience any surprises. I actually liked all of my managers and thought they were quite fair.

Cons

They hire a lot of people because so many people quit, not because they are expanding. They are really strict on the timing of your lunches and breaks (the other reviewers are not joking about how difficult it is to take a bathroom break), so if you leave your lunch at home by accident, those Dale Jr. Chili Dogs are your only option during your paid lunch. The obsession with office cleanliness is legitimately creepy. You'll sometimes have a depressed custodian literally cleaning your NASCAR-themed biscuit crumbs from under you while you're eating.

The work becomes tedious quickly (because you soon realize that 99.99% of alarms are false alarms), with the exceptions being moments of extreme panic and stress. While Rapid runs an extremely tight ship and provides excellent customer service, the companies that outsource their alarm monitoring to Rapid are often quite dubious. The burglary alarms are constantly malfunctioning, and police are required to respond to them (but will issue fines to the homeowners for any false alarm.) During big east coast storms, when the wind sets off every window sensor on Long Island, you'll work mandatory 12 hour days doing nothing but sidetracking police during a time when they are needed to take care of actual emergencies. The medical alarms are of insanely poor quality, so you'll be trying to talk an elderly person through what to do while they're having a stroke through a speaker that pales in comparison to the Fisher Price walkie-talkies of your childhood.

Once you get your first 50 cent/hr raise (for being trained as an answering service representative) you see the entire picture. For sure, some of the alarm companies they represent are great, but a large portion of the customer base comes from companies that sell door-to-door and rely on "free" alarm system installations that come with extremely overpriced three-year contracts that are nearly impossible for customers to escape from. You're forced to pretend that you actually work for many of these alarm companies, and getting screamed at by customers is pretty common, whether it's for the abundance of false alarm fines caused by the shoddy equipment, or your inability to explain some predatory billing policy you know nothing about. Of course, you're still dealing with the pitfalls of customer service in general - the most common thing you'll get yelled at for is the customers' inability to remember their own passcodes or verbal passwords. You will not get through a day without hearing "I pay you to keep me safe, not to dispatch the police on me for no reason!" multiple times.

Basically, after six months, you'll be jealous of the security guard who is walking around outside in the frigid Syracuse winter.

Keep doing what you're doing (but let people go to the bathroom, please).

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is thankful to have had this job for a while to get through a bind, and since your company is located in such an economically depressed part of the country, you're probably not going to run out of over-qualified individuals to bring on board.

Underpay, Micromanage

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The actual work can be interesting sometimes

Cons

Everything else - they way underpay and you have to be a good ole boy to get promoted. I had a degree in the job I was applying for but they did not promote me since I had ideas of my own. Training dept is terrible.

Treat your employees like real people, not as slaves. Give them regular hours, weekends off, affordable health insurance, and bathroom breaks as needed and as required by law. This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The other person is not joking about being reprimanded for being x number of seconds over your 10 minute bathroom break. By the time you take off your headset, walk to the other side of the building, swipe your badge for entry etc. your time is halfway up! And sometimes they are cleaning it so you have to just hold it until you can get the pass again - 4 hours later. Get a clue, Rapid. When I talked to the president I thought it was a great company, but a few bad apples in management (or maybe it is just the corporate culture) ruined what could be a great place to work. Would have loved to stay on, but now make twice as much and sometimes work from home - and no one tells me when I can use the bathroom! :) I have been able to actually implement some of my great ideas since I now work directly under the executive director. Unfortunately, Rapid loses most of their best people because creative, hard working and enterprising individuals do not do well with their current regulations and structure.