Rapid7

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
4.2

Corey E. Thomas

Pros
  • Most employees are willing to help teach and coach if you step up and ask (in 4 reviews)

• Excited to come to work every day which is great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • doesn't work hard or make sacrifices that may affect their personal lives or work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance with an unlimited vacation policy employees rarely take time off because they are looked down upon (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Growth potential endless if you're willing to work for it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reward valued employees, great culture and fun atmosphere to work in. Enjoy most days in the office. Let employees be fairly autonomous.

Cons

Unlimited vacation doesn't translate into a lot of time off - seems as though majority of the team does not take 2 weeks a year. Be prepared to work a minimum of 50 hours a week.

Growing industry, great environment

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is awesome. My expertise is valued and my judgement if trusted. It's okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.

Cons

As you would expect with a start-up, the benefits kinda suck. That said, the compensation is very competitive.

Excellent culture for career growth

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful work in a high growth industry.
    Compensation is very fair and time-off policies are excellent.
    Office culture is very focused on learning from mistakes and pushing each other forward.

Cons

The employee benefits do not compete with larger companies.
    People strategy department is handcuffed to provide much assistance.

Increase the size of people strategy and empower them to do more.

Great high-growth company

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company if you are looking for high-energy, high-growth environment. If you are looking for a slow moving 9-5, this is definitely not for you. Lots of opportunity in every area, very positive culture focused on growing the company. Leadership at upper levels is very consistent and aligned.

Cons

You will work hard, but you should expect that in this environment.

Corporate bonus program should be extended to all employees.

Exciting company - awesome industry

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun workplace, young and vibrant management, unlimited vacation, and generous compensation. I always feel valued and know that people are watching what I do, appreciate my work and want me to succeed.

Cons

As with most small, rapidly growing companies no day is the same. Very fast-paced environment can leave some in the dust. Everyone here is a self-starter and very motivated.

Sales and products seem to have a different work/life balance.

Rapid7 focuses on its people

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth, environment/culture, people, values

Cons

Long hours, work life balance

Best decision I ever made was to join the team.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excited to come to work every day which is great! Absolutely amazing opportunity, world-class product, fun environment, super smart & driven team dedicated to lifelong learning. Essentially a start-up of 20 or so people within fast growing, privately-held 500 person company backed by top tier VC. CEO has an engineering background which is awesome. Sales team is small but mighty and really gets it. Product team and product team leadership is very technical which is also a big plus for me.

Cons

Had to relocate to a city with VERY expensive cost of living to be in the city proper. You can commute 30-120 minutes each way if you must have more reasonable living expenses. Your manager may be a first time manager and may be younger than you if you are an experienced hire. This may be a pro for some and it works for me. However, this is often the case for nearly all small hyper-growth companies.

I'm new so no advice for senior management so far except that i'd like to be able to buy more stock options. :)

best company I worked for so far

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great technology, good mgmt. & board, excellent revenue/customer base growth and market interest.
    R7 is one of THE hottest IT companys right now.

I´ve worked for larger and smaller Companys and StartUp´s, but this is honestly the best Job I had so far!
    You will have to work hard but you will also play/party hard and have the chance to make some good money.

Our competitors fear us, our customers love us.

Cons

sometimes a bit unstructured but that´s normal for hyper growth companys.
    You need to ask for feedback/reviews and be proactive to make your way, I personally like that, but people who used to work for big very structured and process driven companys may struggle.

The smartest bunch of folks I've ever worked with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The thing that keeps me at Rapid7 is their focus on hiring (and retaining) the right folks. I feel like the dumbest kid in the room all the time, which is exactly how I like to feel. The development process is stellar, there's a top-down focus on avoiding burnout, and we're a recognized leader in a fast-growing industry.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly, and spread out amongst a number of international offices. This comes with the all of the regular challenges that you would expect from such a diffused workforce. With so many highly talented employees, it also takes a tremendous amount of effort to stand out and get yourself noticed.

Stop mentioning potential "stock options awards" in offer letters when there's actually zero chance that they're going to be distributed.

Fun culture, great co-workers... LONG hours

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people - I love my coworkers. They are fun hardworking people who make me step up my game on a daily basis. We get drinks together after work all the time and I know these people will be friends for a long time to come.
    Direct management - Not sure if I've just been lucky but I've only had great management. They care about me and are invested in my success.
    The Industry - as a non-technical person I have actually become very interested in the space we are in (network security). I am gaining skills here about the industry I can take with me to other places

Cons

C levels - They are literally separate from us on an entirely different floor. We have very little visibility into long term planning... I can almost feel changes happening in the air but can't put my finger on what they are.
    Job Security - this can be good or bad but the bar is set so high here that I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to have my job from one week to the next. There is a lot of internal competition and if you aren't making the grade, they'll let you go.
    Limited company perks - No matching 401K, no transportation cost help, no gym membership help, no food except for candy. I know we're a start-up but I have friends at other start-ups of our size who at least get great food/snacks to munch on!

The separation between the "little guys" and management is palpable. There is literally a massive conference room on the "exec" floor that we are not allowed to even sit in with fear we'll "break" something. I've heard this messaging is coming from the Finance/Legal side of the house.