Rapid7 Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014
3.1

Corey E. Thomas

Pros
  • Most employees are willing to help teach and coach if you step up and ask (in 4 reviews)

• My manager is invested in my own professional growth and development and offers the guidance I need to help me succeed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • doesn't work hard or make sacrifices that may affect their personal lives or work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance at all (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience to work hard, play hard and work harder! It's a fast paced company with lots of fun and energetic people to help you out along the way. What you do matters!

Cons

Don't get too excited about unlimited time off. It is honored by management but ultimately don't want to take much time off if you want to be successful.

Pretty great with a few kinks to work out

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rewarding work in a high demand field, lots of room and encouragement for professional growth, startup style perks that the company hasn't outgrown yet.

Cons

Work/life balance isn't a concern here. They'd rather issue awards for people who work 6-6 than make sure their employees are well-rounded human beings with lives outside their jobs. I work hard, do my job well, and get my work done during business hours, but feel cultural pressure to hang around and just be present for the sake of appearances.

The company is centered around sales culture, which is centered around young people with type A personalities. Emails go around periodically reminding employees that it is, in fact, a place of business, and not their personal playhouse. Behavior in the bullpen can be appalling.

Whether this last remark is a con is subjective, but here's my take: most people seem to have been with the company less than 2 years. They come in, learn new skills, build their careers, and move out. The willingness of Rapid7 to develop and invest in people they know probably won't stay is a definite pro, but the environment of constant churning is a con in my book. For most people, Rapid7 will be a stepping stone rather than a lengthy career.

1) Stop the regular meetings at 8am, 12pm, and 5pm. As an employee that tells me you don't respect my personal time.
    2) If you want a truly generous vacation offering, get rid of the "unlimited" concept. Give 5 weeks of paid vacation that can be rolled over or paid out in compensation if unused.

Support Engineer

Former Employee - Support Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The guys on my team were the best and only reason i went to work. The software was also good, and the customer basic was good to work with. I learned a lot and would not be where i am if it was not for this job. I thank you for that.

Cons

Where do I start. My boss had napoleon complex and you know who I am talking about. I also didn't think the company really cared about me. When I left I got no call, nothing after spending two years their. I have also noticed that the best people that worked at Rapid7 are not their anymore. I wonder why. But, my boss aka Napoleon is still there, and keeps getting moved up.

Start over from the beginning and sell now ASAP

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales people: Take caution

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for less than a year

Pros

The 2 core product offerings are great from a functionality perspective. However, they are very expensive, nice to have solutions. Only orgs that are buying these are fortune 500 and the like. Trendy office.

Cons

Where do I begin. From day one, I was lured in under false pretenses. The "talent scout" that hired me was nice enough, but was stumped on my first question on our phone interview. She even admitted that it was such a great question that the managers are going to want to interview me. My onsite interview lasted about 15 minutes. Couple of the cliche questions with the Director and met with the hiring manager (or at least who I thought was the hiring manager). When I was hired, I was supposed to be working one territory and was immediately baited and switched to another. I should I have quit right here on the spot.

After a couple of months of up and down success I took a deep look at what I was accomplishing, which was not much. The political management relationships were as toxic as the koolaid is passed down from the CEO and Founders. There is about 1 goldmine territory per team (if it wasn't already burned by a previous rep, or most times, multiple reps). Vacation time? Forget about it. Day off? Better bring a doctor's note or they'll be skeptical. Middle management is mostly made up of successful reps who started with the company who have no guidance or qualifications to lead a team. They were put there because they found a way to stuff this product down customer's throats and can teach that method to new members. I was often asked who I thought was a successful rep and why. I hate the behind closed doors mentality. They preach transparency and quite frankly it turned into a cult like structure.

Quite simply: get rid of them all. If this company wants to grow and "go public", get someone with experience at successful companies and a track record of managing successful teams.

Toxic leadership lacking ethics & integrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their 2 core products are good and the security industry in general is awesome.
    Office in the pru was cool. You peers are awesome. Good compensation if you hit your target

Cons

Leadership and management are consistently abusive to employees. This company is the definition of the wrong example. Their upper management, both the leadership team and the management team are highly toxic. Either you suck up and obey or you are out.
    If you define core values for a company, then lead by example. Ethics, transparency, teamwork and disciplined risk taking is a hoax. Upper management (leadership team) will pull you in a room and interrogate you regarding your peers. For example : What do you think of person XX? Don’t you think person XX should work more hours? Do you think person XX is even capable of doing this job? I’ve never felt so uncomfortable in my whole career. They talk around you back.
    I think they liked me since I was one of their top performers. That’s why I had the interrogation privilege. :-/
    I left due to the fact they are leading by the worst example possible. Ethics are below standard.
    Working hard is ok, expected to work 11 hours per day isn't.
    You are called a dinosaur if your work for the company longer than 1 year.
    Rumors are being spread if you are not a friend of some key people in the leadership team.

Become an honest and transparent company. Let go of the political toxic culture. A view leadership people are responsible for creating this culture.
    Listen to employees. Conduct exit conversations. Be open for development opportunities regarding the culture.

Used to be a better company... They took the wrong exit

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in Amsterdam and that team was solid. Willing to work and enjoyed even to work hard and long days. I've experience real hands-on management which changed when they closed that office
    -the main 2 products are very good.
    -brand in the security market

Cons

The UK management team is totally different. They say 'yes' but really mean 'no'.
    Lack of transparency and trust
    Communication is poor
    Not enough time spend on bad performers and the good ones need to compensate that
    Compensation is not standardised. Some people in the same role have different compensation

Either work with low performers to make them better, or move them out. Don't wait until they stop themselves
    Be honest and transparent. Don't say yes when you mean no and vice versa.
    Work with your employees to make them better instead of screaming to them
    If base salary is different it's fine. But compensation in the same role should be equal. The targets and stress is equal so why not the compensation

You will work hard, you will learn a lot, and if you are committed...you can be really successful!

Former Employee - Account Executive/Team Lead
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Team Lead

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are amazing and everyone is willing to help you. However, they aren't going to spoon feed you... you need to be proactive and not be afraid to ask for help. The training and enablement when you start is also very good. They give you time to get comfortable with the technology and the company before they throw you right on the phones. This company is also very team oriented so you have a great support system to help you develop. I was very confident in the leadership at the top and they continued to bring in top talent during my entire 2 year tenure across the entire business. It is a fun company to work for and there are always competitions that award you additional incentives and keep you motivated. Just a sample of these types of rewards: Team Dinners, Exclusive Athletic Events, Exclusive Concert Experiences, Gift Cards, etc. If there was something that would motivate you or your team to succeed all you had to do was ask and there was a good chance they would make it happen. Earning potential was uncapped in sales and there were people here in their mid 20's who made over $200K last year. Outside my direct experience in sales I was also extremely impressed with several other departments as everyone is committed to making this company one of the best places to work and exceeding customer expectations. This a fast growing company and they hire talented, smart, and competitive people who are eager to learn and produce results quickly. If you are one of these people and you want to be around other like-minded professionals- this could be a great fit!

Cons

This is a place that demands a lot from employees. I don't believe that is a con on the company, I think it is that people who interview say they are willing to work hard and can handle the demanding workload when in reality they aren't prepared to. You will work long hours, you will experience pressure when it comes to billing and forecasting... but they do give you ample time to develop and will work with you if you are having difficulties. If you are looking for a 9-5 this is not for you. If you are looking for an 8-6 this is probably also not for you...unless you are willing to put in work outside normal hours or are an extremely efficient person who learns very quickly. Like I said above...if you work hard and pick it up quickly there are tons of incentives and you can make some serious money. No one who makes $150-200K+ doesn't work hard or make sacrifices that may affect their personal lives or work life balance.

My advice to management is keep attracting top talent and developing people internally who can coach and develop the new hires. The culture at Rapid7 is amazing and keeping it in tact at the rate you are growing is a challenge. Make sure you continue to put people who have succeeded in positions to share their stories with new hires to show them what is truly possible with hard work and dedication.

Rapid7 - The company without professionalism, honesty, integrity, ethics, or transparency.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products. Good experience. Builds a strong backbone. Most employees are willing to help teach and coach if you step up and ask. Fast paced & fun environment.

Cons

No work/life balance. It is very difficult to take a vacation without being seriously questioned or judged. If you are not in the office, employees are talking about you. Very political environment. Management clearly does not respect employees. No transparency - It's very difficult to get honest answers from management. Extremely high turnover. They say that work is from 8:00-5:00, but that is a lie. You typically work from 7:30-6:30 or later, and will end up working one of your weekend days.

Treat employees with respect.

Great culture for young sales people

I worked at Rapid7

Pros

- Great leadership at the top
    - Successful people everywhere
    - Fun colleagues, lots of former college and pro athletes
    - Happy in the office

Cons

- Still a young company overall and not everything is perfect
    - If you're killing it, you won't make 150+ easily as you would at other software co's

Keep it going! Figure out more ways to reward successful sales people.

Good place, great people

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Great place, amazing people, positive energy

Cons

no work life balance

Worked for Rapid7? Contribute to the Community!