Rapiscan Systems

Rapiscan Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Ajay Mehra

My Opinion of Rapiscan Systems

ProsBrian Hrynyshen knows what he is doing.

ConsUpper management seems to be in trouble and not open to sugestions. If they want to split up departments, listen to the man whos department makes the most money (Brian) if you want to keep the company afloat. Don't jump in with half a plan and expect it to work without exploring every angle first.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to split up the departments and want minumal expense and trauma to the company, listen to what Brian Hrynyshen has to say.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Family oriented Company

ProsThe only good thing about this company is the paycheck

ConsNo team work and senior management has no idea how things really operate. No one is held accountable for their actions. There is no strategic thinking in this company. There are too many family members that work at this company who are clueless but are protected.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and see what the working class people do. Appreciate your employees and listen to them

Chaotic, fragmented and completely unprofessional

Program Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFlexible hours and lots of independence.

ConsExtremely top-heavy at the management level, no effective structure, no established processes, deceptive business practices, most upper management are bullies, and management doesn't value employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in an echo chamber. Hire an outside company to review Rapiscan from top to bottom and make the dramatic changes needed to transform it into a functional company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company in the beginning

Electronics Technician (Current Employee)

ProsA decent company to begin with to learn, people are great to work with.

ConsCompany too fragmented between locations, training in programs almost non existent, throw to the wolves seems to be the mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your co-workers whom you manage, do the same thing they should be doing and ask questions.

Great people at Rapiscan Systems in Garner, NC

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Garner, NC

ProsExcellent company with very talented and skilled employees.

ConsI was laid off. The company is too dependent on government contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to market more towards private industries.

Intimidation or Bully Style Management

Field Service Technician (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Pros* Interaction with TEAM members, excluding Management.
    * Interaction with Customers. Even if they are upset with Management.

Cons* Management attempts to "INTIMIDATE" to the point of "BULLYING" employees.
    * CHAOS runs this place. Most in Management are "REACTIVE" vise "PROACTIVE".
    * Saw several people be terminated for standing up for themselves.
    * Unethical reviews of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise that Management take TLM courses or classes. Take a more "PROACTIVE" approach to known issues. Stop using the "GOOD 'OL BOY" style of promoting.

Poor management, poor compensation

Engineering/Scientist (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsReasonable amount of freedom to choose projects.
    Flexible hours.

ConsManagement makes nonsensical decisions without consulting scientists/engineers which lead to confusion and great loss in productivity.
    Poor compensation. You can have a great performance review yet receive no raises or bonuses.
    They have lost many key talented people recently and are likely to lose even more due to insulting compensation and annoying management decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers more and reward those who go the extra mile.

A Company Made For The Principals, Not The Employees

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsGood co-workers: friendly, helpful and hard-working
    Small outfit; low level of supervision
    Some local employee freebies

ConsLow compensation; non-existent raises
    Incompetent management
    Little to no chance for advancement; all hiring up is done from from the outside
    Ancient technology base

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to retain qualified people; "brain-drain" is rampant
    Listen to your employees
    Don't tick off your customers and then assume the attitude of "We don't care": none of your customers respect your products

Great employees, really bad management

Scientist (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsTalented employees; some innovative work if management would stop the poor decision making.

ConsDiscrimination, lacking integrity, bullying and toxic environment. Lost top talent through bad layoffs a year or so ago and haven't recovered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your talent and not the GMs who lack vision and only care about enhancing the workforce in India. one day, the US Government may audit the company.

Chaotic, unstable, bullying and toxic corporate cultural environment

Technical Support and Training (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsThey pay on time and what you negotiate for your salary and benefits.

It's an interesting and elegantly combined set of technologies to learn and play with and easy to get lots of hands on if you are associated or interested in that aspect of the job.

ConsSenior management doesn't care in the least about the employees as assets and they don't even try to give lip service to that. They (the majority of management) use transparent bullying tactics so i would recommend not being employed here as a long-term career prospect... It's pretty much like a small, family-run business but the main customer is the government (Homeland Security) - if you are not connected with the family, you will not be "running" anything, be able to be promoted to a significant position or make any important decisions.

Also, the technologies are specific and niche so you won't find another job specifically with this skill set (if you are on the tech side of things)...However, i knew this going into the position and
     you should as well.

If you are interested in being associated with all the negative press the TSA receives then this is another "Con" to this job...i would be embarrassed to work here today (saw it coming with the body scanners) and definitely affected my decision to leave.

Worked for Rapiscan Systems? Contribute to the Community!