www.rasmussen.edu

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Rasmussen College President Kristi Waite
Kristi Waite

Pros
  • Work-life balance is valued as many positions are required to work 40 hour work weeks (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Masters Degree Tuition Reimbursement, 40 hours/week job for Admissions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible management, high demands, no training, unprofessional (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management has not caught up with the "times" as far as motivating their employees without the bonuses (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture/Continuously Strives for Positive Change and Leadership within the Industry

Current Employee - Student Records Coordinator in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Student Records Coordinator in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rasmussen College has great leadership, work atmosphere, and respects the work/life balance. The organization values diversity in its leadership, and continuously strives for positive change in order to exceed industry standards. It puts student success first, and is constantly evaluating and implementing changes that will benefit students and student success in the ever-changing job market.

Cons

Opportunities for promotions and growth in the company seem confusing and few and far between. No real clear path of how to get from point A to point B. Getting answers to HR related questions (HR based out of Illinois) can be a struggle.

Private 'steal your money' College

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited sick days and 3 weeks vacation right out the gate

Cons

Vertical alignment which means departments do not "talk" to each other on absolutely anything. CD is just a cheerleader for the college to try and bring fake hopes to the staff. Public Benefit Corporation, but then only allow you to serve on items of their choosing to benefit Admissions. Used to be a great place to work and sadly they only care about the money they're sucking out of unprepared students and the declining enrollment rates.

Take value in your employees that truly care and put complete 100% of their effort into their work/students.

A bunch of amateurs

I have been working at Rasmussen College

Pros

Can work from home as adjunct instructor.

Cons

Very unorganized. Poor compensation. You make approx $6 an hour when you add up all your time teaching and managing the course. The person who hired me told me I was going to make a certain amount, the HR person then told me $200 less and when the contract came through it had been cut another $100. But I wanted it on my resume. BAD decision.

The course I'm teaching is poorly written and I'm embarrassed to teach it.

We have grading protocols for assignments we're supposed to follow but supervisors do not support your decisions. Students will complain about any lost point and take up your time arguing with no ramifications for them. The students are below average. They are pushy and rude. Students expect 100% just for turning in assignments. The instructors before me did not fail the slackers so half of them shouldn't be in my class. But Rasmussen takes the money and pushes everyone through. AND too many students per course!!

Management answers e-mails with slogans and jargon, and then forwards your e-mail to 10 people instead of answering your question. Ubiquitous use of the phrase "REACH OUT". A bunch of parrots all day long "Let me reach out to so-and-so about that" or "I'm going to have you reach out to...". Stupidity. Never again will I work here. Two of my supervisors quit mid-term and this info wasn't passed on so I spent weeks trying to communicate with someone who had been fired!!!

Declining morale, limited opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Admissions in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions in Tampa, FL

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is above average in admissions. Work-life balance is valued as many positions are required to work 40 hour work weeks. Rasmussen College is making an effort to make private-for-profit college more affordable. It is satisfying to help change lives through education. The college does not cut corners on accreditation and I have no doubt that a degree from Rasmussen will benefit the prospective students I talk to.

Cons

Company lacks a competitive identity and vision for growth. "Vertical" organizational structure is poorly executed. Poor messaging and lack of communication causes unnecessary conflict between departments.
    This is not a happy place to work anymore. Company-wide layoffs are becoming the norm, year after year. Morale/productivity is declining as many employees are worried about losing their jobs as student resources are consolidated and centralized. As departments shrink, opportunities for professional growth and advancement are disappearing. Managers are unwilling to listen to proactive ideas to appease regional vertical "leadership".

Be more transparent with messaging to employees. Show compassion when tough decisions such as layoffs are made. Work with other vertical leaders to appear to be on the same page when delivering important messages about change. Deliver realistic and attainable goals. Give employees a reason to believe that Rasmussen is the best place to work.

Admission Department

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule open 7 days a week from 8am to 9pm can adjust hours as needed within reason.

Can work weekends and take the following days off as a result. Nice to help save vacation days or when you are going on a long trip (work the weekend before) take 2 days off the following week without using PTO.

Pretty good annual raise (above national average for inflation).

Cons

Have to work weekends once in awhile.

Directors micro manage you.

Last raise was $1,500 less than what was expected and was only told to us 1 month before the reviews were due.

Have to wear dress pants and dress shirt despite have no interaction with students in the online division.

Have to clock in and out like a blue collar job despite have bachelor's degree's or higher.

Relax the dress code, we don't see our students, clients, or anyone for that matter. If we have a meeting or VIP(s) visiting we'll gladly dress up.

Let us run our business with your help not you run our business through us.

Great spot to work!

Current Employee - Student Advisor in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and great leadership.

Cons

Fast, frequent changes that are made before considering all ramifications of the change.

Current Employee - Professor
    Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability in an unstable marketplace. As a for-profit institution, they are in an industry segment that is highly scrutinized and is going through pains. They do their best to do right by the student, to stay current with employable skills, and they have great design instructors. Time off for faculty is actually pretty good.

Cons

Working online is a beast at times, the classes are huge and the grading takes a long while, far more of a commitment than teaching a residential class that is often half to a quarter of the size. The benefits package is ok for a FT employee, I wish the 401K matching was higher than it is, and the medical insurance plans seem to get worse and more expensive every year, cancelling out the yearly performance raise. Pay for instructors isn't what it could be, but it's not the worst in the field.

Retaining quality faculty should be a large focus, as the economy comes back, it becomes more and more a fiscal issue to remain a teacher rather than going back into the field for a noticeable amount of more money.

Great culture and product in a challenging industry.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rasmussen hires and promotes well, resulting in a positive and supportive culture. Their reputation and accreditation stands out against competitors. Compensation and annual salary increases above industry standards. Lots of respect for work/life balance.

Cons

For-profit education is a troubled industry. While Rasmussen is better than most at confronting competitive and regulatory challenges, long-term success in this industry is in question.

More transparency about financial performance and corporate strategy.

Very routine work, but must be used to company always changing.

I have been working at Rasmussen College

Pros

Freedom to manage your own day and your own business.

Cons

Micromanaging gets really ridiculous if you aren't meeting your goals.

Micromanaging doesn't always help when the job is in reality very simple.

Nice pay but stressful

Former Employee - Admissions Manager
    Former Employee - Admissions Manager

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Some flexibility with schedule.

Cons

Micromanagement...call, call and call some more. It was often difficult to take a few moments to go to the restroom.