www.rasmussen.edu

Updated September 26, 2014
3.3

Rasmussen College President Kristi Waite
Kristi Waite

Pros
  • Lots of respect for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Masters Degree Tuition Reimbursement, 40 hours/week job for Admissions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible management, high demands, no training, unprofessional (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management has not caught up with the "times" as far as motivating their employees without the bonuses (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great spot to work!

Current Employee - Student Advisor in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and great leadership.

Cons

Fast, frequent changes that are made before considering all ramifications of the change.

Admission Department

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule open 7 days a week from 8am to 9pm can adjust hours as needed within reason.

Can work weekends and take the following days off as a result. Nice to help save vacation days or when you are going on a long trip (work the weekend before) take 2 days off the following week without using PTO.

Pretty good annual raise (above national average for inflation).

Cons

Have to work weekends once in awhile.

Directors micro manage you.

Last raise was $1,500 less than what was expected and was only told to us 1 month before the reviews were due.

Have to wear dress pants and dress shirt despite have no interaction with students in the online division.

Have to clock in and out like a blue collar job despite have bachelor's degree's or higher.

Relax the dress code, we don't see our students, clients, or anyone for that matter. If we have a meeting or VIP(s) visiting we'll gladly dress up.

Let us run our business with your help not you run our business through us.

Current Employee - Professor
    Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability in an unstable marketplace. As a for-profit institution, they are in an industry segment that is highly scrutinized and is going through pains. They do their best to do right by the student, to stay current with employable skills, and they have great design instructors. Time off for faculty is actually pretty good.

Cons

Working online is a beast at times, the classes are huge and the grading takes a long while, far more of a commitment than teaching a residential class that is often half to a quarter of the size. The benefits package is ok for a FT employee, I wish the 401K matching was higher than it is, and the medical insurance plans seem to get worse and more expensive every year, cancelling out the yearly performance raise. Pay for instructors isn't what it could be, but it's not the worst in the field.

Retaining quality faculty should be a large focus, as the economy comes back, it becomes more and more a fiscal issue to remain a teacher rather than going back into the field for a noticeable amount of more money.

Great culture and product in a challenging industry.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rasmussen hires and promotes well, resulting in a positive and supportive culture. Their reputation and accreditation stands out against competitors. Compensation and annual salary increases above industry standards. Lots of respect for work/life balance.

Cons

For-profit education is a troubled industry. While Rasmussen is better than most at confronting competitive and regulatory challenges, long-term success in this industry is in question.

More transparency about financial performance and corporate strategy.

Very routine work, but must be used to company always changing.

I have been working at Rasmussen College

Pros

Freedom to manage your own day and your own business.

Cons

Micromanaging gets really ridiculous if you aren't meeting your goals.

Micromanaging doesn't always help when the job is in reality very simple.

Nice pay but stressful

Former Employee - Admissions Manager
    Former Employee - Admissions Manager

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Some flexibility with schedule.

Cons

Micromanagement...call, call and call some more. It was often difficult to take a few moments to go to the restroom.

Admissions

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time

Pros

Hours and salary are comparatively very good, if you are willing to sell your soul to do the job.

Cons

High pressure sales in an industry that is, honestly, failing not only students, but taxpayers alike. No student should pay over $30k to become a $10-an-hour medical assistant. Sales (enrollments) are hard to make in any other major except Nursing, but the pressure to perform remains and there are no excuses for not making sales goals. Small admissions offices with a lot of drama, decisions are made on high with very little front line input, sales demographic is usually poor and unemployed so that the college can get full financial aid from the feds to enroll students.

Realize that bilking students for programs that are barely equating to a little more than minimum wage jobs is an ethical atrocity.

Inexperienced managers and overworked employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met some very nice people.

Cons

Employees are overworked underpaid and don't have a lot of good things to say about management and company ethics. Deadlines were strict and overtime was frowned upon to the point where some employees worked off the clock to meet deadlines and management didn't seem to mind or discourage. Job titles and duties were unimportant and managers felt they could manipulate to justify their needs. There was NO training on software and processes Employees were pigeon-holed into roles that management deemed appropriate. They would regularly hire outside the company rather than promote within.

Find management with experience, good judgment and ethics. Don't overwork employees. Follow through with job descriptions. Train your employees. Promote within.

Confused technology department

Former Employee - Technologist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Technologist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- VP and C-level leadership are rotated out very quickly in the technology department
    - Vague, irrelevant requirements for positions allow for uneducated, inexperienced people to excel: for example, some members of leadership have held only a B.S. degree while they require a Master's to teach courses in technology

- Unclear direction
    - Technology decisions made behind closed doors under socio-political agendas rather than real customer requirements (for example, <Fictional Bob> has researched product X and even though it meets none of the requirements we choose Product X because we like <Fictional Bob>)

Require in-field training of your employees - especially VPs.
    A "daily scrum" is not a 2 hour meeting that happens daily.

Crash course in learning what not to do & where not to be

Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Rasmussen College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- met some great people (colleagues) who are in the same boat as you
    - access to a lot of free food on a regular basis

Cons

- micro management by supervisors
    - you will get random titles but you will work on something completely different. Lot of work. And get paid according to what title you get not your skill set. They cheat you from day 1.
    - Consultants are given more importance than full time employees.
    - no sense of oneness in the teams.
    - no opportunity to grow as a professional. You are pretty much told what to do. Anything beyond that is "you need to be coached by your supervisor". They treat you like high school kids.
    - all over the place. Mgmt doesn't know what they are doing, what they are supposed to do
    - the only way to get promoted is if you bond with the "right" people.
    - Performance based incentives or even appreciation is a dream here. If you are sincere - please find another place to work at.
    - no annual increments based on performance (neither yours nor the company)
    I could keep writing but if you think you need more after reading above... I guess you should be fine working here then.
    I haven't met even a single person so far who has positives to say for this place. None.

None. I have nothing.