Rasmussen College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rasmussen College President Kristi Waite

Kristi Waite

Pros
  • Good Benefits, Masters Degree Tuition Reimbursement, 40 hours/week job for Admissions(in 7 reviews)

• I feel that my work/life balance is excellent, and I am allowed and encouraged to use my time off(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has not caught up with the "times" as far as motivating their employees without the bonuses(in 3 reviews)

• Your job is constantly threatened(in 2 reviews)

Great culture and product in a challenging industry.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsRasmussen hires and promotes well, resulting in a positive and supportive culture. Their reputation and accreditation stands out against competitors. Compensation and annual salary increases above industry standards. Lots of respect for work/life balance.

ConsFor-profit education is a troubled industry. While Rasmussen is better than most at confronting competitive and regulatory challenges, long-term success in this industry is in question.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency about financial performance and corporate strategy.

Nice pay but stressful

Admissions Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits. Some flexibility with schedule.

ConsMicromanagement...call, call and call some more. It was often difficult to take a few moments to go to the restroom.

Admissions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHours and salary are comparatively very good, if you are willing to sell your soul to do the job.

ConsHigh pressure sales in an industry that is, honestly, failing not only students, but taxpayers alike. No student should pay over $30k to become a $10-an-hour medical assistant. Sales (enrollments) are hard to make in any other major except Nursing, but the pressure to perform remains and there are no excuses for not making sales goals. Small admissions offices with a lot of drama, decisions are made on high with very little front line input, sales demographic is usually poor and unemployed so that the college can get full financial aid from the feds to enroll students.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that bilking students for programs that are barely equating to a little more than minimum wage jobs is an ethical atrocity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working at Rasmussen College full-time for more than 3 years

Learning Management Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsPros – Student and faculty interaction is strong, community involvement is positive, and professional relationships last a lifetime. Employees in the Corporate Office are great people and probably will become life long friends, because we share a ton in common. Hard workers and willing to go the extra mile.

ConsCons – Compared to industry average, many are underpaid with no hope of promising pay increases. Workload can be daunting and mundane without true direction. Corporate leadership is constantly making changes without true expertise to validate those changes. Salaries are only great for those with close ties to the corporate offices, close friends or family of executives, or grandfathered salary.

A huge disparity in pay between corporate and nursing leadership versus the rest of academic affairs that possess equal or more advanced credentials. Stagnate program, leadership with no connection to campus life where ultimate success is determined. Nepotism is rampant through the company and there is no objectivity between HR and leadership

Most employees feel like there is no road map from position to position. 2%-25% yearly Increases that's ludicrous who deserves a 2% increase (that's a slap in the face) - and How in the hell do you get a 25% increase - I received a promotion took on extra projects and received less of an increase as I gave my direct report (WTF). Unless you are working on an important or visible project you are just status quo - your direct reporting manager doesn't know strengths and there aren't many opportunities to show your talents

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management – Recognize that you are losing your talent base to other rival companies and that burnout is extremely high.

Yes, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Confused technology department

Technologist (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros- VP and C-level leadership are rotated out very quickly in the technology department
    - Vague, irrelevant requirements for positions allow for uneducated, inexperienced people to excel: for example, some members of leadership have held only a B.S. degree while they require a Master's to teach courses in technology

Cons- Vague, irrelevant requirements for positions allow for uneducated, inexperienced people to excel
    - Unclear direction
    - Technology decisions made behind closed doors under socio-political agendas rather than real customer requirements (for example, <Fictional Bob> has researched product X and even though it meets none of the requirements we choose Product X because we like <Fictional Bob>)

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire in-field training of your employees - especially VPs.
    A "daily scrum" is not a 2 hour meeting that happens daily.

Crash course in learning what not to do & where not to be

Associate Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

Pros- met some great people (colleagues) who are in the same boat as you
    - access to a lot of free food on a regular basis

Cons- micro management by supervisors
    - you will get random titles but you will work on something completely different. Lot of work. And get paid according to what title you get not your skill set. They cheat you from day 1.
    - Consultants are given more importance than full time employees.
    - no sense of oneness in the teams.
    - no opportunity to grow as a professional. You are pretty much told what to do. Anything beyond that is "you need to be coached by your supervisor". They treat you like high school kids.
    - all over the place. Mgmt doesn't know what they are doing, what they are supposed to do
    - the only way to get promoted is if you bond with the "right" people.
    - Performance based incentives or even appreciation is a dream here. If you are sincere - please find another place to work at.
    - no annual increments based on performance (neither yours nor the company)
    I could keep writing but if you think you need more after reading above... I guess you should be fine working here then.
    I haven't met even a single person so far who has positives to say for this place. None.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I have nothing.

Rasmussen College

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsFast paced, corporate structure allowed for a variation in work activities from day to day. Opportunities for payment for performance based upon the number of students brought in for each start.

ConsEconomy greatly affects sales. With such volatility in the work environment, at times it could be a challenge to recruit new students to the college. There is much attention paid to meeting the sales numbers, and students are looked at as revenue vs. people.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering external market factors when coaching employees would be helpful.

Great faculty and staff, but unstable leadership

Dean (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStudent and faculty interaction is strong, community involvement is positive, and professional relationships last a lifetime. On the campus level, people still care.

ConsCompared to industry average, many are underpaid with no hope of promising pay increases. Workload can be daunting and mundane without true direction. Corporate leadership is constantly making changes without true expertise to validate those changes. Salaries are only great for those with close ties to the corporate offices, close friends or family of executives, or grandfathered salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that you are losing your talent base to other rival companies and that burnout is extremely high.

Great colleagues but poor management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with, good benefits

ConsHigh work-load, salary lower than average industry salary, ability to work flexible hours varies significantly across the departments, depending on who you report to (rather than a college-wide policy); top-heavy organization; lack of development and almost non-existent bonus structure for the lower level employees/ lower management; frequent turnover in IT department

Great people but inefficiently ran

Student Finance Officer (Former Employee) Ocala, FL

ProsGood benefits. Wonderful people to work with

ConsWay too many useless and unproductive meetings. Management wants multiple things done at the same time and expect nothing to fall through the cracks. Required to chase after grown people to come to class. Recruit people to come to "college" and get a degree in a field that only pays $9.00/hr but they have $22,000 in debt.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. It's the nature of the business.

Worked for Rasmussen College? Contribute to the Community!