Rational Retention

Rational Retention Reviews

Updated Mar 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsWorked as entry-level employee at Rational. There is great communication with the ops team/tech team and with upper management. Both teams are eager to assist with meeting deadlines, and employees are especially intuitive. Personnel has shifted in the last year resulting in a more positive, productive work environment.

ConsCompany has roughly 30 people in Albany and could improve by giving more employees private offices.

Do not work at this company

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsClose to shopping and restaurants.

ConsAbsolutely awful culture! Dishonest and aloof management with no regard for people.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the doors or sell to Oracle.

Don't work for this company

Technical Writer/QA Analyst (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsGood location but that's it

ConsI was employed with them for 9 days when I was fired. Their reason for firing me was that I didn't have enough training. They made zero effort to train me all the time I was there. They are extremely unorganized and management is incompetent. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother submitting your resume to them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Recommended

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsLocation, enough parking space. No other pros that i can think of.

ConsHigh Employee turnover rate , Understaffed (approximately 20 employees: 5 devs, 3 QA, 3 ops, 3 project managers and few client managers),Condescending attitude of Management, Low Quality Product. Employees resigning every other month. I have been working for this company only for 7 to 8 months and have already seen lot of good employees resigning and getting good jobs.

Wait for a better opportunity

ProsPeople are friendly and easy to work with. Suyvesant plaza is next door

ConsThings are very unorganized a lot of wasted time spent fixing issues. Poor communicating result lost jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuckle down on management. Fix these roots will reduce employee turnover

Company Has Improved Hugely

(Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsHigh Morale, direction and goals are clear, no more negativity! There was a negative culture at the company, and a lot of complaining. The previous reviews matched the feelings of a group of unhappy (former) employees. In addition to no longer tolerating the bad attitudes, there has been change at several team lead and some higher management positions, and also people with PM experience have been added to the project management team to be able to talk with clients and keep projects on track. People work well together and there is a good team environment.

ConsNo more monthly bar tab :(

Advice to Senior ManagementHours should be the same across the company, as well as other things. Some flexibility on hours, working offsite and other things depends on who you work for in the company.

I do not recommend working here

Technical (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsThe developers and testers are friendly and I enjoy working with them. The work is interesting and we have access to latest tools and technology.
    There were some unhappy people that left recently. I did not work closely with them but I understand the decision. The management team is difficult to work for.

ConsSenior management is disconnected from the rest of the company. Poor decisions are made and expected to be followed by everyone underneath. But the blame is passed and nobody learns from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept responsibility for the poor decisions. Appreciate your team more.

Worst place to work in the Albany area

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConvenient office location. Styvesant Plaza is a short walk away which makes lunchtime and coffee breaks easier.

ConsTerrible environment. Management is not trustworthy. Horrible decisions are made without any input but then management doesn't handle it well when those decisions result in poor outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO, COO, CFO, and sell it to a company that will manage it better.

HUGE employee turnover rate.

QA/Support (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, good location, good benefits, fun perks (monthly after-work bar tab), friendly and reliable core group of employees who stay as everybody around them leaves or is fired.

ConsManagement and developers are always at loggerheads, very dysfunctional. Employees are always quitting or being fired, new developers are always being hired... there's little job security.

Worked for Rational Retention? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rational Retention reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Rational Retention employees.