Ratner Companies

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

2.5

Dennis Ratner

Okay for a job not a career

Pros

My experience is working at the home office not as a Stylist in the field. My boss was the was the reason why I worked there for the years that I did. That person was professional, encouraging, talented and smart. I learned a lot from my boss not necessarily from the company. The culture is very cliquish and VP's were very political. It didn't matter if you really worked hard and did your job and got results and worked to grow in your position, as if you weren't "popular" and the "favorite" all your efforts fall by the way side. It was a strange work environment and I'm not sure why HR was there, as profanity was used a lot in meetings and casual conversation and favoritism by VP's. It's an okay place if you are starting out in the workforce but not long term. It is a good place if you don't want to grow in your career and are okay with just showing up to work and collecting a paycheck. Which is fine if that's what you want- a lot of employees have been there for many years but in the same position (I'm talking 10+ yrs doing the same thing every day). The company does not pay a competitive salary. There is a fun factor like Monday bagels, company potlucks, nice PTO .

Cons

Growth, not competitive in salary, un-professional and strange
    environment, favoritism, cliques, a lot of turn-over- especially with VP's and Directors -

Shady chop shops.

Pros

Free education. Guaranteed job title if you've never had one and/or are brand new to the work force. Brand marketing. Prime environment to gain technical skills.

Cons

No consistency in salon leadership with the only exception being in their unreliability and hostility. Favoritism runs rampant throughout the ranks making this company ripe for an inclusion/exclusion lawsuit. Young, immature, unqualified and under-educated staff placed in leadership positions without any pre-qualifications other than a heartbeat. Corporate pay restructuring in the Fall of 2013 that was disadvantageous to already underpaid employees. New structure necessitates the need for a high-pressure sales environment for the client if the stylist plans on enjoying any measure of success with this company e.g. If I can't manage to sell product to my client while he/she is 'In Service' I will not get the sales commission for product that he/she may buy later (even 5 minutes later) as a result of my salesmanship. So, when a client wishes to make separate payments, one for services and another for retail, I lose all of the commission. If a client who requests me regularly comes in because he/she is out of a product I originally sold him/her, I lose out on the commission there too. In fact the ONLY way to earn commission is while that client is still actively in service and paying on one transaction. Corporate roll-out of 'Smile-back guarantee' means if a client complains FOR ANY REASON they are granted a refund, which, in many cases is taken out of the employees pay. This, of course, is an attractive option to the morally bankrupt and criminal element. The only ones smiling are the corporation and the crooked. (legitimate complaints not withstanding).

If you want quality stylists offer them quality incentives. This will effectually reduce the amount of lawsuits filed/pending against the corporation (which was a complaint consistently offered up against employee input). I am assuming quality is of any importance to this corporation. If so, it would certainly place Ratner Companies in an exceptional category of current American corporate practices.

Bad company to work for

Pros

The free education and the training.

Cons

If you're not a part of the click you are not accepted or liked. It's sad to know that adults behave this way in the business world but it's true. I was consistently bullied and attacked by women that behaved like young girls. The higher up's are also a part of this issue and thats why this behavior will never change or stop at all. If you are looking to work here I strongly advise you do your research. I have never experienced such behavior in the work place. It's sad to know that the owners are really great and loving people I hope that someone brings this issue to there attention and they can look into this issue and investigate with HR. No one should experience the consistent behavior/bullying that I went through. This behavior needs to stop.

Restructure the Management team and bring people that are serious about work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Vienna, VA

Pros

Family and fun culture. Management team are very considerate and caring. CEO and president walk around the headquarter to greeting people and listen to people constantly. A lot of company fun events. Free hair cut coupon and hair product coupon every month. Flexible hours and low pressure at work. Up to 24 days unpaid leave after 5 years of employment.

Cons

Salary is low. Management team is against the idea of working from home.

Good

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

Pros

Owner in business, good walk-in rate

Cons

Management is often young and shows favoritism

Difficult environment to work under but has its rewards as well.

Former Employee - Assistant Leader  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Leader in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Being able to grow within the Company and helping your team succeed.

Cons

Sometime more focused on quantity rather then quality.

Never be intimated

No Team

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Lancaster, PA

Pros

Regional never checked to see if we were working

Cons

Regional very selfish only on you side when makes her look good!

Mixed.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Vienna, VA

Pros

Great employees. Great company reputation overall.

Cons

Very focused on bottom line
    Long term staff are great, management ok

listen to what your employees want more.

its good pace of walkins.

Current Employee - Stylists  in  California, MD
    Current Employee - Stylists in California, MD

Pros

walk ins are good pace most of the time youre doing something

Cons

gossip party!!!!!! managment is the headliner of it. cant trust managment. you dont get credit for anything not anything.

just quit. or grow up.

Positive

Pros

Family owned company that truly treats employees like their family. Stylist are well paid compaired to other industry companies. Excellent

Cons

I really hated to have been apart of the acquisition sale in 2008. Business decisions sometimes do feel personal.

I would love to have some type of Ratner brand back in the Carolina area, not just for job opportunity but for the quality the branding has.

Worked for Ratner Companies? Contribute to the Community!